4AGE

tell me Veeky Forums, whats so great about a 4age compared to other 4 bangers such as a 4g63 or a k20?

Nothing.

It has no power potential compared to a turbocharged 4g63
K20A is one of the current pinnacles of N/A 4 pots

Its just super simple and peppy.
Thats all

The Initial D Sprinter didn't even have a 4age, And the K20 was Honda's godmachine.

It was just 4 banger that didn't suck at the time and got meme'd. It's outclassed by modern technology though.

>The Initial D Sprinter didn't even have a 4age
kys fool

Why is the k20 a god machine? I have a k20z3 in my 2008 civic si and I don't really see what's so special about a 200hp NA 4 cylindet unless it gets the reputation from how well it can handle mods or something

Because the good version made 220 hp and reved to 8k, which definitely breaks free of commuter car status. The DOHC helped make it especially reliable and i-VTEC kept it economical to run as a DD without killing it if you wanted.

As far as 4 bangers go it was pretty serious.

the only thing good about the 4age is sound really

4-AGE
is the 4 cyl version of the old cast iron 350 small blocks daddy use to have...

you can repair is with a tool box from harbor freight
and a medium understanding of the internal combustion engine

they can produce a safe 160-190hp NA

they sound great

they are cheap

but if i wanted 300hp, is the 4age worth it to mod?

its not good at all by modern standards

its an old boat anchor now

lolno unless you want to turbo

>220hp at 8000rpm

Are you talking about the K20A? I read that it's JDM only. Is the K engine as relevant to Westerners?

no

i have built (3) 4age engines in my day
and with stock internals and 91octane my best was maybe 190hp
with a t3 garett turbo
315cc injectors and stock fuel pump

yes theyre relevant

20hp isnt shit

people have built 400+hp NA K series

what about non stock internals? is it worth it then?

It sounds godly, that's about it really

Sure anything can be done with money.
Get cylinder sleeves
Forged everything

Sky's the limit

formula atlantic

ITT: guy gets done watching initial D and suddenly thinks the 4age is a god motor and the 86 is a god car.
This is why initial D is a bad show fur people new to cars, it puts out completely unrealistic expectations and really narrows people's overall vision when it comes to cars.
It creates massive weaboo fanboys who can't get past anything but shitty japanese tin cans, thinking they are literally better than ferraris or some shit, it's really sad.

And the only reason it sounds godly are ITBs which you can install on other engines as well

Na the stock 16v sounds good too. I do think its the best sounding i4 tho so Im bias but the one I heard had a trd manifold too so that might make it sound better.

Have a car with a 16V blue top with aftermarket headers and a slight compression bump being the only modification, and another car with a 20V silver top with open stacks. They both sound fantastic. The 20V for obvious reasons, having ITB's, but the 16V absolutely sings from about 3500 RPM all the way to redline.

Important thing with any four banger is not to put a big fat exhaust on it. That's what makes them sound bad, like a shitty Honda.

its a motor from a different era. back in 1983 when it was designed, it was in a class of its own, a modernized EFI Cosworth BDA. It brought all the excitement of a race motor to a very affordable passenger car. The two big classes of sports car racing were 1600 and 2 liter. This was the very pinnacle of road-homologated 1600cc engines, with multi-point EFI, accoustically tuned intake, extremely light weight, and precise construction that allowed for one of the highest redlines in that era. It became popular in all forms of 1600 class racing. Nowadays theres so many other choices that you have to look at it somewhat nostalgically to say its the best motor, but it still has definite upsides. decades of development, tons produced and sold all over the world. The ultimate evolution 20v comes from the factory with the ability to run open ITBs on the stock computer, which makes it a very exciting motor to drive. theres a solid aftermarket, they arent fragile or easy to blow up, they fit easily into a lot of very cool and light cars, and they sound and feel nice.

10 years prior to the 4AGE, the 1600 and 1400 cc classes were dominated by SOHC 8v reverse-flow headed engines that still had 11,000 rpm redlines making around 220-250hp.

the 4age is not really all that special

The street versions of those motors were making 60hp, not 120. And no, they weren't making 220hp.

the LZ14 and LZ16 from nissan were making 200 and 240HP respectively but were cross flow.

The l16 in stock trim was still 92-95HP depending on the car/truck it came in. In the BRE race cars they were pushing 200 on stock heads north of 10 k.

late 70's and early 80's they were adding turbos to the l18 getting it to 450hp for qualifying with the reverse flow head.

VW did pretty awesome things with their 8valve engines in the early 80s.

the 4age is a great economy engine, its reliable, and has the ability to move up in power. Its just not the god engine everyone wants it to be.

Yeah, great, another $20,000 formula car motor that nobody could afford and didn't meet any street homologation requirements because it's a completely different head. Same as the Cosworths I mentioned before. In fact, bragging about the DOHC 4 cylinder Nissans is equivalent to bragging about their straight sixes as a platform, since after all OSG made a DOHC head for them.
The street versions never broke 100 crank horsepower. Pretty closely equivalent to a single cam Toyota R motor, not exactly a racing model.

Delusional weaboo in distress totally dodged the VW engines, lmao

nobody cares about your retard opinion you stupid dog-fucker

Piss off retard tripfag.

massive weaboo fanboys who think a jap shitbox is better than a ferrari spotted

>ferrari
>good
Sasusa 15 year old dog fucker

Sorry I don't speak weaboo, try again.

The way you imply that Ferrari is a good automaker is expected of a 15 year old dog fucker such as yourself. In case you still don't understand what I'm trying to say, I'm insulting and belittling you. Is that clear?

Pretty much any ferrari > a shitbox ae86
Name one that isn't and I'll give you a gold star sticker and some tendies.

Extra hard mode: ferrari of the same era

if the 4age is so shit what should i swap into my aw11

nothing else fits

just do the 4age, if you did anything else you would be lynched by a mob of angry purist weaboos

2ZZ-GE, it fits in nicely and it's pretty much a modern 4AGE. You can even get a six speed gearbox with LSD

friendly reminder to yiff in hell, mrcummy furfaggot trash

>180hp
But thats the same as the blacktop 4age?

2zz also has a lot more room for tuning, you can get it to 200hp easily

I owned a 4ag that came with a carb it sucked, so i swapped the heads to a fuel injected 4age. when it was out of he car I tried to pick up the iron block like it was a Honda aluminum block and about broke my back.

>Whats so special about a 200HP NA 4cylinder?
the fact that even today most 4 bangers need a turbo to even get near 200HP