Who here rally races?

Who here rally races?
I am a complete Veeky Forums noub, never really worked on cars, but what would it take to get into the amature stuff?
I want to buy a shitty manual off craigslist and gut it for weight ect ect and skirt dirty bends in the garbage classes.

Other urls found in this thread:

carsrally.ca/
wscc.mb.ca/
youtube.com/watch?v=FUqe19rF_EY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Race can meet alot of thing. Do you want to drag, auto cross, circle track, ?

i said in the op, rally racing, a la ken block flying through the woods. I want to do that except in a trashmobile in a low class

Nobody here does stage rally as far as I know, but a few of us do rallycross. 90% of the fun at about 5% of the cost. Chances are there's an SCCA chapter in your area that runs it.

If you haven't really done much work with cars yet, it'll give you a great opportunity to learn.

Take this guys advice. Buy a $500 car. Weekend rallyx's are about $50-$100. Get used to fixing shit and learning how to drive on dirt. Thats what I did.

Did my first 2 stage rallies this year. With $5k you can find a used up old 2WD car. $10k for a N/A 4wd. I bought a running car but had to finish up adding safety equipment and extras and ended up getting on stage with about $18k into it. Depending on how close to rallies you are, this sunken cost is just the beginning. Factor about $2k for a weekend for truck, trailer, gas(car+tow vehicle), hotel, food, entry fees, oh and yeah parts you break.

Sure guys drive to events and tent out sometimes but you really have to be wary about keeping your car in one piece.

If you think you can swing it, by all means do it. Rally in America needs all the drivers it can get.

Pic related (me).

Anything in Canada?

SCCA shows nothing in Montana or North Dakota, so the nearest event is 14+hrs away

SCCA chapters put em on all the time if you want to get into it

Get a shitbox, jack up the suspension a little, get some rally tires, and if you want, get a limited slip diff.

It's super cheap. I did it for about two years but I prefer autocross.

I'd recommend scca rallycross over rally for someone just looking to get the ropes. Jumps and obstacles are a little too much for someone that's never raced, and scca events are more local and a ton cheaper

drag racing is literally the easiest, cheapest racing to get into. To be good at cutting a good light, and bulding a vehicle specifically for the strip takes some skill and money. suspensions be like no joke.

oh snap I read that as really races not rally races. my bad dog.

I'm sure there's an SCCA equivalent in Canada. For stage rally there is:
carsrally.ca/

No argument there. Just giving the guy a realistic expectation of the "real ken block stuff" going through the forest. Even as an amateur its expensive. Rallycross is definitely the best way to find out if you like it first or not.

OP see if you can find an old rusted out 2.5rs or 2.2 and huck some cones.

Still nothing in my province, Manitoba fucking sucks.

Looks like the last time rallyx was ran by you was 2007. All is not lost though, they still do ice racing!

Buy something really shitty that you don't mind skidding into other cars, add some thin studded tires and have a blast! I always wanted to try that!

Whoops forgot the link
wscc.mb.ca/

That actually sounds pretty good.

What's a good car to rally for a beginner? Something that can hold it's own in the dirt, and is easy to wrench on and mod?

Get an e36

literally any shitbox you can get hold of

The cheapest neon you can find.

i used to spectate a bunch of rallies and seriously looked into getting into the sport, but it has a very high bar of entry. you could go out there with the same budget as a lemons car (5-8k) and build something that passes tech, but thats about all it can do. probably more since you have to double up on seating and restraints, fire suppression is more serious, a terratrip is pretty much essential, etc. lots of people are out there slogging along in older VWs, civics, focus hatchbacks, neons, etc, but the event costs, running costs, and upgrade costs to really be able to push the cars are extremely high. the hardest obstacle is the distance between events. if i built a car, i could make maybe 1 national and 1 regional rally each year because i cant take off work for a week each month and drive 1500 miles to follow the races. if you're in finland there might be enough races in a 500 mile radius to make it worthwhile, but in north america theres no high concentration of rallies anywhere. i skipped it and did shitbox racing. theres lots of lemons and chumpcar events and the barrier of entry is extremely low.

guess I could post this here

How do I get better at DiRT?

youtube.com/watch?v=FUqe19rF_EY

90s Toyota Celica (it doesn't even have to be the awd one) and 90s Toyota Corolla

99 Solara

neons and mk1 focii

FWD with a good amount of torque. With left foot braking and handbrake pulls you wont understeer at all. Depending on the surface, skinny tires with all the weight in the front helps with gripping the loose dirt/gravel packed underneath.

RWD is alright for rally, but you dont have as much grip as a FWD. If its mid/rear engine, its a lot better than a FWD.