Only 2 built. Were they destroyed entirely?

Only 2 built. Were they destroyed entirely?

>Hey guys, let's build a super heavy artillery piece that can only move along a pre-determined path (thus making it super easy to find and destroy) and can be stopped just by cutting railroads.

God the Nazis were retarded.

It required its own special railroad to be built for it before it could be assembled. However, it was designed to break through the Maginot Line, so its not like its targets were moving.

Yes, OP. They destroyed them to keep them from falling into Allied hands. There's photos of GIs posing inside the wrecked barrels.

Yeah man but it completely annihilated anything it was shot at

In the Germans defense it was designed specifically to only attack the maginot line. It wasn't made with a war against Russia in mind.

How did this thing fire? With gun powder, explosives, or what? Was this contained in the shells themselves?

Nazi officers surely got erections just by looking at it

was this piece of artillery Veeky Forums wanks over ever actually used

it shoot volkswagens

2 were built, named Dora and Gustav. Gustav was used during the siege of Sevastopol, but had relatively little effect compared to its massive resource cost and the time needed to set it up to fire. I think Dora was briefly used to shell Leningrad but was quickly withdrawn to prevent capture when the soviets tried to break the encirclement. They both ended up getting dragged by the Germans as they retreated through Russia. Honestly the entire concept of the things was so retarded. Air power and conventional artillery would have been fine to deal with the Magi it line, if the Germans had actually attacked it instead of just flanking around it.

Interesting bit of trivia, the 800mm shells of the Gustav guns put so much wear on the barrel that the shells had to be fired in a specific order, with each shell gradually increasing in size to compensate for the barrel being worn down. Truly a marvel of Germany's penchant for massively overcomplicated resource sinkholes.

>Interesting bit of trivia, the 800mm shells of the Gustav guns put so much wear on the barrel that the shells had to be fired in a specific order, with each shell gradually increasing in size to compensate for the barrel being worn down. Truly a marvel of Germany's penchant for massively overcomplicated resource sinkholes.

You've got that confused with another German supergun. That's the firing procedure to compensate for the extremely high velocity of the Paris Gun, not Gustav.

Yeah they used it against the russians. It was pretty pointless, although im sure it would have done just fine against the maginot line forts it was designed for

Oh, I thought I read somewhere that the Gustav had the same issue, but now that I think on it you're right; it was the Paris Gun.

Those guns were probably the only Hitler super-project that actually got built.

>UFOs sold seperately

Shell itself gets loaded, then the bags of powder behind the shell, it gets rammed up in there like a gerbil in OP's butthole, then the breech gets closed, the barrel elevates, and the gun fires.

I mean hey, economy-shattering levels of cost to build and maintain is worth it to see the faces of people fleeing in pants-shitting panic before it gets destroyed by bombers.

They did actually finish the turret before Goebbels cancelled the project. It ended up being installed as a coastal defense gun somewhere in France. Guns made for Hitler's planned stupidly large H-series battleships ended up there as well.

god, something like that would absolutely btfo anything it comes into contact with

you would need air superiority though

How can you not have air superiority when you've got ufo's?

Air superiority won't do shit to stop the 155mm artillery blowing it to pieces as soon as someone sees it.
Also you could just wait 2 hours for it to run out of fuel.