Who was the best Apostle?

Who was the best Apostle?

Other urls found in this thread:

catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=3579
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Luke. He was a jedi

paul desu

John, according to Saint Jerome. That's why he was called "the Beloved Disciple". He was very spiritually advanced according to Jerome too, which is why he could witness the Revelations. Also according to Jerome, Christ would have made him leader, except the others would feel insulted due to John's age (he was a teenager).

I prefer Peter. I like how he didn't give up & continued on even after his 3 denials. Folks today need balls like him.

The count

James the Elder

>posting idolatry

>art is idolatry

>Folks today need stones like him.

FTFY

John may have been quicker reaching the tomb but Peter was the first to enter.

John of Revelation is different than John the Apostle

why do people not realise this

Not in Catholicism, Orthodoxy or any mainstream Protestant sects.

>dogmatically following doctrine instead of using your head

Nowhere in the Revelation does John state that he is the Apostle, nor anything but a humble man sent on exile.

People only began associating him with the Apostle in the 2nd century

John, in tradition, was sent in exile. Also the only Apostle who wasn't martyred, but died of old age. Also by far the youngest, with exile coming in old age.

Using your head, it makes sense he wrote Revelations, not just some dude named John, but the John who was spiritually renowned and wrote the Gospel of John which is a lot more mystical than any of the others. The most likely explanation is it's the same John; saying they are different Johns is not using your head, especially since John is Greek form of a Jewish name, and by that time most Christians were probably Greek, not Jewish.

>one of the original apostles
>romans would just send him into exile
>when he lived during the period of notorious christian hater Nero
hmmm

He lived then, but not in Rome, which means dealing with him would probably be a concern for the local governor, not the Emperor.

So Nero wouldn't send orders down to the local governor to be specifically on the look out for Jesus' last living apostle?

Eh, Eusebius's History leaves it an open question and says it's possible it was another John, given the differenes in writing style.

I seriously doubt it. Nero hated Christianity as a movement, but he never created any hitlist.

Doesn't actually affect my statement. A lot of debate was going on in the early Church as to whether Revelations should be canon, and the question mostly hinged on authorship.

Christ's decisions made it obvious that Peter was the best apostle.

John and James were close second.

>paul desu
The Usurper
That's funny

Judas

The Gospel of Judas is by far the best

I know at least Catholicism and most Protestants distinguish them, I've never once heard anyone say that those Johns are the same.

Most Christians spoke Greek but that doesn't mean they were Greek, that was one of the common languages of the Empire.

No they don't.
catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=3579

Most Christians were converted Greeks after the Destruction of the Temple. Greeks were already making up a huge percent of converts in Paul's time even.