ITT: we fix the Toyota 86

ITT: we fix the Toyota 86
>the fix must be reasonable
>Price cuts don't count
>adding features would increase cost
ie: AWD or Turbo option would make msrp jump up
>you must be willing to pay Mark up for factory upgrades or assume the 86 demographic would pay more for a car with your upgrades.

Replace shitty boxer with an i4, that'll give it room for turbos as an option and double wishbone suspension. That's all it needs.

>Remove FA20
>Drop in 2.4L I4 (2AZ-FE) from the tC/Camry 4 cyl
>turbo

or
>remove FA20
>Drop in 3.5L V6 (2GR-FE) from the V6 Camry/RX350
>296 hp 260 ft lbs of naturally aspirated power in an all aluminum package

>dat 2GR-FE

pepped up 1.6 DIT from the levorg

single exhaust

remove ridiculous sound tube

16'' steelies with yokohama decibel

aluminum suspension components

you just put in a bigger engine thats making 40 less horses

good job

V6 too much.
2.4L + turbo would make it difficult to insure for NEET plebs, but who cares? Fuck 'em. Raise the price $10K. I'll pay it.

>Price cuts don't count
Was it not almost $5,000 cheaper when it was announced before the hype train puled into the station?

no

What is the smallest displacement Japanese V6 currently being made?

Would drop right in and be way better.

THIS. Thats literally all that car needs. Not awd or a v6 just this.

A hatch version

Did you miss the part where the 2AZ is turbocharged? The 2AZ FRS above is making 700 hp 700 tq

Too much power? Or money? It maybe be a lot of power but it would be cheap. The engine is already developed, all they need to do is turn it 90 degrees and some minor stuff after that.

Forgot pic

that spoiler looks hideous

so now you got a 86 for cayman S/STI money with a cruddy USDM engine that burns oil

even better

here is an idea, do your own forced induction for a quarter of the cost if you're such a serious racing man. its not hard.

I can't help but feel the gt86 wouldnt be hated as much if it didn't look twice as fast as it actually is.

FA22 or FA25

Redesigned headers and ECU programming to get rid of torque dip

That's literally it

Toyota now in bed with BMW for Supra

Go get a few N20B20 engines from BMW

>limited edition TRD 86
>get DRIFT King for commercial
>40,000 us dollaridoos

Put the STI motor in it.
>inb4 that will increase cost
If you think Subaru spends more per engine for STI's than every other motor they make, you're delusional.

What the hell do you people even mean with this?

makes more torque and has no torque dip. easier to mod and maintain.

>so now you got a 86 for cayman S/STI money with a cruddy USDM engine that burns oil
It doesn't have to be a 2AZ, just an I4 turbo

>here is an idea, do your own forced induction for a quarter of the cost if you're such a serious racing man. its not hard.
I know, I've done it. Problem is, you can't pass emissions very easily with a 2016 turbo car running a different ECU. Also your warrantee would be void immediately

Toyota makes a 3.0L V6 also, the 3GR-FE. 228 hp 221 ft lbs. That'd be pretty cool

Replace engine with an updated 2zzge

Just offer more TRD accessories.
>coilovers
>sway bars
>big brake kit
>supercharger
>lightweight wheels
>intake/exhaust
>aero

Keep the car exactly the way it is now for average driver. Then make a TRDifference version/package dor an extra $5-10k

>makes more torque

7 more, I'll take the 40 horses and lower cog instead.

>and has no torque dip

that's an ecu flash away. you'll get worse fuel economy and thats it. the way you drive the car you'll never notice it, as you always keep the car above the ''dip'' when driving fast.

the rest is true depending on where you live I suppose. the vortech people don't seem to have much issue with emissions.

how to make an unreliable toyota

>le old COG meme

such a fucking meme I wonder why racing cars dont have the same ride hight as a van

There's nothing really wrong with the gt86.
It's like the ae86, not top of the line sports car meant to rip up the nurburgring and top the top gear power lap board.
It's just meant to be a little fun sporty car.

That engine makes 50 less horsepower than the FA20

Too much weight.

Put a turbo blacktop 4AGE in it

>make it easy to mod
>make modern day initial d where tagumi drives that

This isn't even related to ride height.

>Get rid of back up camera
>Get rid of stability control
>5th Gen 3SGE

so why isn't it sporty?

Best answer so far. It would make it a rwd integra type r and that is my dream car

>sell it
>buy an NC miata

there I fixed it

The 3GR would probably be tuned up to 250hp which would he perfect

this exists with everything except the supercharger

also, itt people who dont realize that changing the engine out ruins the car's balance

the fa20 sits ridiculously low in the chassis, the top of the intake manifold doesn't even rise above the strut towers

>remove backup camera
>remove stability control
man, can i have some of what you're smoking?

i know this is shitposting, but man could you at least try?

the car is extremely easy to mod

holy fuck i knew Veeky Forums was filled with benchracers but the gt86 threads truly bring out the worst

ditch the boxer meme engine for something that makes decent power

Take a look at the car. I think it looks nice. I remember when I first saw one, it was brand new and I had no idea what it even was.

A low down, 2 door coupe with dual exhaust would fool anyone into thinking the car had a bit of power. Then you learn that it had 200hp, it's barely any faster than your average road car. If the looks were toned down a bit, it would be forgiven for having a measly 200bhp.

Lower the compression and add in a small turbo.
Also change the cams and headers, fixing that dip.

I fixed mine, slightly wider wheels with grippier tires.

What's wrong with the Boxer?

200hp from a 2 liter is very reasonable.

All that needs fixing in mostly everyone's opinion is the engine output. It needs to improve by at least 50whp and 70 torks. Some Toyota 4 banger would be ideal.

BRZ can keep the boxer for all anyone cares considering that's their engine.

>pepped up
FiST makes 200hp from a 1.6 and has torque

>Liftback
>I4
>2 Seater
>No facelift

This is the only correct answer.

So you've never been in an 80's Toyota, or any car from the 80's.
>It's like the ae86

>considering cars prefixed with "toy"

>considering anything other than a toyota

Why would they devalue their own engine.

Its the power band that main issue. Torque dip in the middle of the RPM range. Supposedly reprogramming the ECU can fix that.
Its really not as slow as people say it is either. Its in the same range as other entry level "sporty" cars like the ST and Si. People think just because its a coupe it has a to be a muscle car. That said it could still use more power. A turbo is must nowadays for small 4 bangers to be competitive

That's because the FiST has a turbo. The normal Fiesta hatchback makes 120hp.

Literally this.

Has anyone tried swapping a wanker under the hood?

more power
stickier tires

there problem fucking solved.

Make a lexus variant with nicer interior and a 3.0 V6 3GR-FE tuned to around 250hp (228 stock)

>more power
Edel supercharger plus tune seems to get the job done
>stickier tires
Easily buyable

It seems like people just want those things stock but that would jack up the price and then it wouldn't be a cheap entry level powered sports car.

Have a not shit tune

Are the only people upset about the 86 the ones who can't afford them? I honestly can't understand why anyone else would shit on this car as roundly as some Veeky Forumstists do.

>a higher optioned trim would increase the price

not this retard again

>higher trim doesn't yield a higher price
I'm honestly surprised retards like you can breathe

>cant change the engine because it would ruin the weight distribution
>cant add forced induction because it would make it too expensive
>cant make more practical because it would make it too heavy
The only thing to do is to like it for what it is. Lightweight rwd coupe are a thing of the past. Unless you get rid of safety requirements or make the rumor about Mazda making their entire lineup rwd true. (aside the miata everything they sell is a mazda3.)

It's an all aluminum V6, not that heavy. It's lighter than a 3SGTE, I know that much.

I looked it up, 3GR-FSE, the 252 hp 3.0 V6 long block weighs 383. The FA20 long block weighs 377 lbs. So 6 lbs difference lol.

It seems like boxers aren't very light for their displacement, 2x heads, 4x cams, 4x cam gears.

Exactly. Lots more torque than the FA20 also

Stop it.

>partnership with ford
>coyote 5.0
>skids for days
>car is no longer aimed at faggots who watch anime

>ruin weight distribution
>ruin

Toyota's v6s are pretty light nowadays

What do you think DIT stands for retard?

Huh, I actually really like this.

It'd probably weigh over 3000lbs though

I like that a lot for some reason.

Toyota makes a 4GR V6 which is only 2.5L. Tune it to 230HP and 200TQ, perfect?

All the 86 needs a tad bit more power, a little more torque, and less torque dip.

I was with my buddy in his brz, some girls in a new toyota minivan made a comment about how good the car looked and how fast it must be. They refused to believe me when I said their minivan would stomp it in a straight line.

It looks twice as fast as it is. Look at every miata except the new one, they aren't overstyled or aggresive like the frz86

This is modern design. I can't remember the term, for it, but its essentially, busy, lots of details and flair. Eventually we are going to go back to minimalism, and we will get our beautiful timeless minimalist cars we can mod our self.

>Pic related
This MUST be the peak of crazy gratuitous over-styling of cars

>price cuts dont count

but thats the entire problem

>200hp
Try 160 usable horsepower, not manufacturer pretend calculated crank horsepower.

So much this, as a Celica GTS and Subaru Owner I can't think of a Better engine.

Here's your fix

Literally every car is advertised with crank hp

Here's what Toyota should do: completely scrap the 86 and build the TE-800. (4th gen MR2 with a Prius drivetrain)

There was a shooting brake GT-86 designed by Aussies but it was rejected by Toyota. I think somebody planned to make a Subaru shooting brake as well, but the same thing happened.

>160
Wow, that's really shitty.

My mom's minivan makes 290. The thing flies when it's empty.

Because it is, on average, a car that severely missed the mark with general market AND enthusiast market. That means it gets to enjoy all-around flak.

Yes there are fans of the car, just like you can find fans for just about anything. Just because a bunch of people like it doesn't mean it's good. Take Shillary for instance, TONS of people like her, but she's a completely horrid person. Doesn't stop people from waxing eloquent about her woman-based voting points, just like people around here love to talk about the low center of gravity.

So, how do we make the car better? Lots of people have already said it: an i4 with forced induction. If CoG matters so much, then why does an FWD turbo hatch with the same horsepower (albeit better torque) easily beat it around track, on skidpad, and in a straight line for almost 8 thousand dollars less?

The car is designed to bring in ricer wannabes and it did exactly that. Nuff said.

Yes, but NOT every car suffers from literally 20% drivetrain loss with a manual transmission.

Fiesta ST crank = 197
Fiesta ST wheel = 186

Cmon now.

Basically what we want is a car with kit car lightness, exotic car luxury, supercar handling and performance, and muscle car raw numbers and ease of maintenance/selfservice. Oh and also used shitbox stickerprice brand new.

of course you can modify it. But if you didn't have to, it would be cheaper. Mass market economics. It's cheaper for Toyota to produce 100000 superchargers and do them on the assembly line, than for you to buy 1 and have it installed. Plus, when you buy the car, you're paying in part for the prius tires, so it would be cheaper to buy the car with good tires already on it.

I'm not saying the FR-S is a bad car at all, it just needs better tires and power, and it would be immune to stupid minivan memes if it had them.

Add a "TRD" or "STI" trim with
>Supercharger
>Body kit
>Better suspension
>Actual tires
fuggin boom car is fixed for those that want it
Cheap neets can still buy the stock version

Huh, it's almost like the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 track versus the Genesis 2.0T

GEE, OTHER CAR COMPANIES DO IT.

two more cylinders, NA or supercharged would be perfect for me.

It simply needs a stronger, higher horsepower engine that makes more torque

for the price this thing is overpriced for what you're getting especially when there are so many superior variants.

>implying the ae86 isn't a huge meme but a gawdmushine
Have you driven an ae86 in its stock form? It's nothing special without sinking money into it, surprise surprise, just like the gt86! If you want an actual sportscar, stop being a cheap cunt and go buy something that wasn't made for people who want a bit of cheap performance. Both the gt86 and the ae86 are rubbish for high performance applications from the factory.

>ie: AWD or Turbo option would make msrp jump up
And?

If people wunna pay $5000 more for a decent factory turbro that wont grenade why not?

Hell it would give it the rwhp boost it so badly needs at 150rwhp in current year is absolutely beyond shit.

Pretty retarded they dont offer a factory sports pack with wideass wheels either, guess their leaving it all up to aftermarket but thats just so lazy

4gr is garbage though. Countless service bulletins on that engine. Use the 2gr instead.

Can someone explain to me why this is such a big deal?

This is the main problem. WHP is dogshit on this car. My FWD econobox from 2003 has better 0-60.

Look at the corresponding HP sag, now spread it across the gears.
It makes a bigger and bigger difference as you shift up.

All it really needs is a bit more power.

Keep the current model as a base model for normies and poorfags.

Add a wrx/trd version with the faa20 turbo from the wrx imprezza, for about 5000 over base price.

Have enkei wheels in 3 colors, gunmetal, bronze and charcoal u. With bridgestone potenza tires.

Interior wise have recaro seats and steering wheel.

Have optional track pack with bigger brakes, Michelin pilot super sport tires, trd springs and swaybars, and bilstien struts for about another 3 grand extra.

Maybe offer ubique wrx and trd body parts as well.

God can you image how dated it will look in a couple years... And im the biggest civic type r fan