Build thread

Hey guys. I've been working on my mini off roader ('72 Honda 600 sitting on a samurai chassis) and after 2 years of driving it around I've gotten tired of the gutless suzuki 1.3L engine.

So I yanked the engine out and am gonna replace it with something bigger. At first I was set on using a nissan L24 out of an old 240z I have. I pulled the L24 and brought it into my shop. Then, yesterday, a friend of mine saw what I was doing and offered me a low mile VW 1.9 TDI that he got out of a crashed car for $500.

Now I can't make up my mind about which to use. The L24 would be a fun little high rpm ripper and it sounds fucking great with the sidedraft carbs and header. But the TDI would be cool because muh turbo and muh 40mpg and muh special diesel snowflake.

When it's all done, it will have full independent suspension (has straight axles right now) and will be "pre runner" style. I'm switching from 4wd to 2wd and am building some long travel suspension for it. It will be fully street legal.

Idk guys. What would you do?

you can get a junkyard ls1 for $500 and an afternoon, just do that

>that moment you remember some actrual madman has a lifted Honda 600 on Veeky Forums

the L series has a lot more aftermarket in case you want more power

I thought abut it, and was considering a 4.8L LS, but the size of a v8 will limit the room I have to mount the front suspension. The bigger the engine, the shorter the swingarms can be.

I'd go TDI. You want torks for an offroader, right?

Yeah, it's lighter also

Given the other mods you plan, for a prerunner style id go with the high rpm engine.
Also this is amazing you magnificent bastard.

God speed you glorious disaster.

Also OP, given the very temporary nature of Veeky Forums content, is there somewhere we can follow your build?

Yeah, I'm still kinda leaning towards the L24. The diesel would be cool and have good torque, but having an engine that pulls hard to 7k rpm will probably feel more fun

No, I don't. But can you recommend a forum or something that would be good to use? I'll document the build and share if if you guys want

>recommend a forum

lifted4x4honda600s.com

I pulled the head off the L24 to make sure it was alright. It had been sitting outside in the rain for a while. I think I'm gonna go with this instead of the tdi, because it'll have the right power curve that I'm looking for

And here's the engine I pulled

And here's the TDI
Does anyone know how to make the images not rotate?

Man, looking at this, I can see some bits and pieces of my KA24E in this L24.

The dizzy location, the flywheel bolt pattern, some mountings...man.

Long time since I saw the car posted... still my favorite car on here

Blogger.com is free

Thanks man!
Cool, thanks. I'll look into it

So I just tore down the L24, and I plan on re-ringing it and rebuilding the bearings and all that. Probably gonna throw a nice sized cam and carbs on there too before it's all done with. Still need to pick up a 280zx 5-speed so that I can get it all mounted in the chassis

This seems like the thread to posit this question,

I found a J300 on some family property of mine, starting condition? It's fucked. (flood, sitting for 2 decades at least and then a fire). I've been doing some googling on it some, but I'd like some thoughts on whether I'm even on the right track with my plan for it:

>get back out there with a shovel and a jack to get a better look at the frame
>see if the wheels aren't seized up and get some shitty tires on it to get it rolling and up on a trailer
>break the wheels loose and how I don't fuck up the axles if they are seized up
>tear it apart down to the frame
>media blast and find out how much metal I have left to work with
>source parts for the engine and rebuild that and the transmission
>probably have to source parts for the transfer case axles and suspension
>repair rust damage

Have I missed anything?

Also I'm kinda debating on whether I even fuck with the engine and just see what I can fit in the same space with a higher range of gears for the transmission, since it's one of the inline 6 engines that that gladiator had and I don't know yet if it's the 3 of 4 speed manual.

Oil pan pulled off

why not a supercharged 3800 v6?

Id personally totally do a small torque monster diesel if doable and affordable, but I know little about diesels so wouldn't know what engine to recommend.

Well, the width of a v6 is usually always wider than an i4. And there's not much room to work with in this car. The original engine was an air cooled 2 cylinder 600cc

I don't have an opinion as to which engine will suit your purposes the best.

Just wanted to say, wow. A lifted 600. You're a madman, and I like it.

I popped a main cap and rod cap to make sure these bearings are standard size for when I order the new ones. All in all, this thing is in better shape than I thought. Won't need to be bored or have any machine work done

Why do any work on it?

Because it has at least 150k miles, it's old, and for $250+ a weekend of work I can have a fresh engine with essentially 0 miles. I'll repaint it too so it'll look much nicer. I figure its better to just do it, since I already have the engine out and it's easy to work on. Peace of mind.

I thought at first that it was a Lada Niva