/domg/ - Dominions General

I only made this because you're doing your turn edition.

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Age

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ChroniclesEA
implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky
kiirno.github.io/Sauromatia_Guide.html
youtu.be/4XGWXmxmaoE?t=3m16s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't suppose I can make an army carry supplies between provinces?

Nope. Get an endless bag of wine, cauldron of broth, or a fuckton of N1 indies

fite me irl

No, but you can research construction level 4.

We're doing this. Our first game will be next saturday, versus /rlg/. Look forward to it, if only because we'll have some new aesthetics stuff!

5 out of 8 experts agree that you should join this game now!

Oh shit, the literally only two teams I care about facing off.

I need a higher res version of this.

>I only made this because you're doing your turn
Heh. That's what you think.

SQUIDWAAAAAAAAAARD

why did you put the pelt on your bishop fish and then send him to the front lines? literally a game changer

I know about the items it just feels kinda dumb you can't carry supplies

Makes a certain amount of sense. Supply lines weren't really a thing until comparatively recently. Armies would generally live off the land. And note: forts DO boost supply in their surroundings. Everywhere else, the infrastructure just doesn't exist.

It's actually pretty accurate to medieval warfare, supply chains were difficult to co-ordinate back then, so you'd generally just acquire food from the surrounding area, whether by foraging, or by stealing/buying from locals.

Come on, don't die immediately /domg/.

Only if bretonnia, slaanesh and wood elves play their turns

Red, do your turn.

You have 2 provinces, for fuck's sake. TWO!

>48h first turn

This is the worst meme.

The delays a good thing if those Bret knights haven't been fixed.

What other aesthetics do we need?

PS: Switch our goalhorn to 100 hydras for novelty

I just want to continue my knife fight with Altdorf. Fuck the bretonnians.

is it really a knife fight if one party keeps talking about how craaaaaazy they are but does nothing other than run away

Who's in our group? We won't recognize all the shitty abbreviations on Veeky Forums, you know.

Hey, you're the one attacking me mang. You started this. I don't want no trouble.

implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky Forums_League_7
Schedule's up.

It's pretty much all being taken care of by the VGL aesthetics council, if you wanted to help I guess you could check out the VGL discord and get in contact with them, the link to it is on the VGL7 wiki page I just linked to.

XCOM, fighting games and roguelikes.

On close inspection it's just wood elves left now. So they're the ones who need to die. Then again, who even likes wood elves anyway?

If you don't want trouble, don't pick overpowered nations, you punk

Says the one who told me how to make 'em overpowered.

I might AI if the knights get "fixed." This nation blows without fiery bows on everything.

The replies to my last post dismissed a duo-bless for Berytos in favor of a mono. So I compiled a list of the most min/max mono bless chassis. I can't decide between a mono-bless expander or mono-bless scales.

Mono Bless Imprisoned

Dom 6 +10 Scales
D9 Demilich

Dom 6 +9 Scales
B9 Fountain
D9 St Underworld
E9B1 Idol
S9F1 Gylph

Dom 5 +9 Scales
E9S2 Monument
F9E1/E9F1 Myrmecoleon
D9 Raven

Dom 6 +8 Scales
N9E2 St Fert
F9E2 St War

Dom 5 +8 scales
W9N2/N9W2 Wadjet
S9E3 St Order
S9W2 Oracle
E9B1/B9E1 Maneater
F9S2/S9F2 Lion
F9A2 Phoenix

Mono Bless Awake

Dom 6 +2
F9E1/E9F1
Myrmecoleon

Dom 5 +3 Scales

F9 Solar Serpent
E9 Erf Snek
B9 Melquart
D9 Raven
D9 Snek

Dom 5 +2 Scales
W9/N9 Wadjet
N9/E9/B9 Bull
N9/A9 Criosphinx
E9/D9 Doggo
F9E3/ E9F3 Myrmecoleon

Dom 6 +1 Scales
E9S1/S9E1 Shedu
B9E1/E9B1 Maneater
F9S2/S9F2 Lion

Dom 5 +1 Scales
E9S3/S9E3 Shedu
E9B3/B9E3 Maneater
F9S3/S9F3 Lion

>Fortress-based supply depends on the province's proximity to a fortress. If the province in question is within four provinces of a fort, fortress-based supply is added to the population-based supply calculated above. This depends on the fortress' Admin rating (see section on fortresses below) and uses the formula (Administration * 4) / (Distance + 1). Only the highest fortress-based supply is used if there is more than one nearby fortress.

Not sure if you're still around, but some advice if you are.
>I'm not sure how important formations are/what a good formation is except the one bit about elephants in the guide
Overall formation of your army depends what you're planning to do with it and what you expect your enemy to have. Rushing down the enemy with elite troops is a lot different from sitting back and letting your mages nuke the enemy.

For squad formations,
Use box if you don't want any other formation, or if you want to buff troops efficiently.
Use line defensively and to reduce damage from enemy arrows/evocations. It makes your units move much slower, don't use it if your troops need to get in melee quick.
Use skirmish if you want to reduce damage from enemy ranged attacks but don't want your units to move slowly.

Double and Sparse Line have situational uses, don't worry about those for now.

>buildings? what.
Build the cheapest fort you can make. Add a temple and lab. Don't build forts adjacent to each other, don't build temples/labs outside of forts.

That should work well enough to get you started.
>magic? what.
Hard to give advice without writing a massive essay, magic is really complex. Ask for a specific nation which you want to play and we can do more.

>magic items? I understand this! I just have no idea what research to prioritize to craft them
Construction lets you craft magic items. Every even level (0, 2, 4, 6, 8) gives you new items to craft. Level 8 items are artifacts, you can only forge one per turn and only one of each can exist.

>the fucking unit stat screen remains moonspeak to me still
Attack/Defense are the most important things there. Those indicate chance to hit/dodge attacks respectively.

HP, strength, and their weapons/armor are also important. HP should be obvious, strength and weapons determine damage dealt, armor prevents enemies dealing damage to you.

The rest you can mostly ignore.

I don't have an answer for your question, but I'd suggest you take a few more points in secondary magic paths.

e.g.
>N9E2 St Fert
Making that N9E4 gives you +2 reinvig on sacreds.
>W9N2/N9W2 Wadjet
Making that W9N4 gives you +4hp on sacreds, and lets you break into nature magic.

Both of those would cost you about a scale at most.

>tarrasque gets hit by a curse of the frog prince
>exploding dice
>feels bad man
>killed later

so since summod turns the tarrasque into a unique commander, will casting awaken tarrasque summon up a frog now?

How do I thug a Skratti?

It's actually +3 hp but this is good advice nonetheless.
The value of 4 path minor blesses should not be ignored.

I joined as Tien'Chi

ni hao

Yes that's a good point. I'm wondering what kind of tweaking is in order; obviously there are some good minor blesses, but what about dom score? I haven't done enough testing with sacreds to know if dom 5, 6 or 7+ is better for maximizing Colossi.

In my most recent tests I was recruiting 2 Elephants, 2 Colossi, and 2 archers a turn, with indie commanders and priest as leaders as necessary, but I'm not sure this is optimal. Maybe it's better to get 5 sacreds and no eles, or all eles and no sacreds until expansion is done.

Probably a mistake when merging armies. He was supposed to be in the back spamming Smite.

Nope. I got the tarrasque back.
But he has a new name for some reason.

Believe not, based on how doomhorrors work.

The unique commander mechanic is more fun than I thought it would be. I wish there were more.

Yo Ur I don't wanna fight, fuck off and return my province

Pick N9 bless..

Use frost brand/vine shield/shroud/some kind of helmet/flying boots/maybe ring of regen. Alternatively, don't use a shroud and craft some armor.

Change shape to humanoid werewolf.

Script to liquid body/quicken self/maybe breath of winter.

Done.

yo squidward i figured out what happened

frenris pelt makes the person wearing it berserk, even though illfraud forgot to mention that in the item stats

fucking illfraud

Which nations were destroyed by Ermor in MA and didn't survive until LA?

ni hao ma
literally all the Chinese I know

Well fug, I guess that was an item I shouldn't have forged to begin with. Or trapped him behind a wall of something slow. Oh well, live and learn.

None

I did a thing.

que picardia

I know that feel user

Why is it orange? It's a nice color but I'm wondering if there's any significance.

Ermor destroyed Bery in EA and that was about it

2 more needed. A perfect opportunity to fulfill your lifelong dream of playing in an EA game on /domg/

domg and what

we'd better beat domg
serpent of chaos will summon uniques and center the ball to sigmund (again) despite their stupid meme quadbless

The color of Ophan's attack animation. I can make it any color you want though.

Do we get Dwarf Fortress's elephants by virtue of them being a roguelike as well or are we on our own.

I feel like we need to match /domg/'s elephant memes 1:1 and Dwarf Fortress is one of the few games capable of that.

Damn you /twg/!

Is there a sort of general guide on where to put points at pretender creation?

Steam community hub has "creating your god" guide, I think. There can't be a lot of general advice though, most things you'll want to pick are nation-specific.

This game is pure insanity. I know there's something cool within, but the weird control scheme and complete lack of giving a fuck about the player makes it incredibly hard to learn to play.

Thanks man

>This game is pure insanity.
That's how I felt after reading the spell lists

Here you go, Pythium. Here's your proof. I eagerly await my payroll.

I can't even express how predictable that was, Mari. I hope you realize that we made peace with my jewish friend, and now we're 1v1. Oh, I'll really enjoy what's coming next. Do you think predicting your raiding is all I did this turn? Think again.

Most general advice: Find out what the strengths and weaknesses of your nation is. Do you have strong mages and spells, but weak expansion potential? You might need an awake pretender that can fight.

Got unique spells you can't easily access with your national mages? Maybe make a god that can go for them.

Got potentially powerful sacred units? Build a major bless after their strengths(nature bless for high HP sacreds, water bless for sacreds with good kill potential, etc)

Scales are fairly straightforward, but also depends on your nations needs. Do you rely on high resource troops, get prod. How much depends on how good these troops are.

No brainers are almost always Growth 3. This will just help you immensely towards mid-lategame. It will just exponentially increase your income. Order 3 is also good if you have the points for it, it never hurts to have more money, but for some nations more money is mandatory to get anywhere. Others might not require it as much. If money is not a huge issue, a popular build is Misfortune 3 coupled with Luck 3, because it increases event chance, and luck increases the chance for every event to be beneficial.

Magic is mostly important for factions that have small mages with bad research. If your de-facto research mage has 7RP and you run drain 2, he'll only have 5RP, which will hurt your research immensely. If your de-facto researchers has something like 13 research, that drain won't hurt as much. Equally magic makes cheap inexpensive researchers into research powerhouses, so if rushing specific spells is in your strategy, magic might be well worth taking.

There are always exceptions that thrive on weird scales, like Kalisa and Yomi love Turmoil, Arco are lazy Greeks and research better in Sloth, and MA Ulm + Man fucking hate magic and can work unimpeded in Drain scales.

Great job elves! I'll send over pearls, and there'll be even more to be had if you keep posting your success. Without provinces I can't really see much.

Furthermore, I believe that Marignon must be destroyed.

Right there with you bro. Picked it up on sale. Have no fucking clue, but it looks like this black box has some magic inside it somewhere.

On another note, I've been playing EA Ur loosely following a youtube series(inb4 retard.) What is a good nation/pretender to learn the ropes?

Anything that inspires you, the rest will follow.
What is your favorite mythology?

It sounds lame as fuck, but it's best to play a nation that looks interesting to you. Now at the moment you probably don't have enough information about the game and nations to have an opinion like that. I owned the game for a year not really playing it until I found out about MA Ermor and decided that was what I wanted to do. In retrospect there's a number of reasons why they're not a great nation for learning the ropes but at least it got me playing the game. That's what matters.

>Misfortune 3 coupled with Luck 3
Hullo, I'm sure that you mean Turmoil coupled with Luck.

i started by playing various giant races, like niefelheim, utgard etc.
expanding is less stressful and more forgiving in the early games while you're still learning.

giants are cool and dont afraid of nobody.

That's correct, I can't write today

Love me some greek/roman. But I was enjoying building Enkidu and pretending I was in the epic of gilgamesh.
The game is just slightly overwhelming with the number of choices you have. A few unrelated questions (obviously the answer to everything will be "it depends" but give me some pointers as to what depends),
1. How many forts/castles should I be making?
2. When not building other commanders should I just spam researchers?
3. Is there a research "limit" per castle?
4. Is investing in local defense worth it?
4a. What about provinces that have a buffer?
5. (Ur related) How early should I push out some sirrushes?

>Hullo

the only place you should put sirrushes is in the toilet

TY guys I'll take that into account. Was actually thinking about trying out niefelheim.

Is my time well spent playing vs the computer? Or should I set up a hotseat game between my multiple personalities?

It depends on what you want to do. Picking your favorite will get you in the ring but you're going to need some guidance if you want to really fight. To that end, I suggest you play Sauromatia with Cirno's guide. It won't make you good or anything but it will teach you enough about blesses, magic, unit selection, and battles to do halfway decent with your real favorite.

kiirno.github.io/Sauromatia_Guide.html

youtu.be/4XGWXmxmaoE?t=3m16s

you can only really play against ai until the midgame, i generally just play the first 20-40 turns, expanding and building with various races, pretenders, and practicing.

it gets real fucking dull real fucking quick when you roll out your mass mages with evo 6 and the ai hasn't even expanded very well and spams shitty spells at you and gets steamrolled.

it's like you have all the firepower in the world and not even a bottle on a wall to shoot at.

>1. How many forts/castles should I be making?
This is a tough question to answer but generally you should have as many as you can afford to produce out of, starting your first fort as soon as you can.

>2. When not building other commanders should I just spam researchers?
Magi are prioritized over other commanders 9 times out of 10. Indie commanders are a good choice for troop ferrying as not to waste a fort turn.

>3. Is there a research "limit" per castle?
No

>4. Is investing in local defense worth it?
Always get at least 1 to prevent scouts from conquering your land. 6 makes the province say that the defense is quite well organized, 10 reduces unrest by 1 per turn without killing population so that is good for blood hunting provinces. I mostly leave my provinces at 1.

>4a. What about provinces that have a buffer?
No idea what you mean by this

>5. (Ur related) How early should I push out some sirrushes?
Never, they are shit.

a. What about provinces that have a buffer?
>No idea what you mean by this
i think he's talking about internal provinces in his greater nation, and the answer is yes they also need pd because >Always get at least 1 to prevent scouts from conquering your land.

Thanks guys. Going to fiddle around some more. By buffer I meant a province in between that province and the enemy. But you answered it in the other question pretty much. Killing the previous game. The god is dead, long live god.

That is what I assumed, ty.

Don't mislead the noobies Cirno.

1) As many as you feel your economy can handle. General rule of thumb is to always have started your first forts construction year 1, preferably during summer/autumn. Forts will be your main recruitment hubs since they pull resources from adjoining provinces, but they are also there to let you recruit mages. If you are still pulling in cash as you are recruiting troops and mages(a mage a turn is the ideal), build more forts.

2) Mages are super important, so you should always try to recruit as many of them as possible. Always recruit one if you can, and put it to research if you have no other task for it.

3) No. Research away

4) Always put 2-3 PD in a province after you take it, to ensure enemies cannot just take it with a scout. I usually increase PD to 15-20 in provinces where I'm building forts, to prevent random event attacks.

4a) What do you mean?

5) Sirrushes are not great unfortunately, very expensive for what they do. I wouldn't get more than a few

if a scout pops out by himself and takes an internal province, the player who owned the scout comes out worse off right?
not only losing 25g, but also map positioning, and scouting information, whereas the player who had the province taken just crushes any units the scouting player cares to waste recruiting or buying pd

I don't see how you can use AI for anything other than expansion against indies only. I keep trying to use singleplayer to try out early-midgame stuff but by the time I meet the computer I have such an unrealistic lead in province count that any conclusion I could draw wouldn't be applicable to multiplayer. There's just absolutely no meat to AI games.

i assume the ai does not cheat in this?
is there a mod that just cheats the ai in an endgame army? or scripts it even?

. Is there a research "limit" per castle?
>No
>3) No. Research away
It's not quite a research limit, but a few researchers can only have a certain number researching per province.

So would a good idea be to play 2-3 nations myself against each other. That way I can learn more nations and have some competition?

Have I been had?

Oh no it most certainly cheats. And it's still terrible.

Try out a few AI games, they can be fun to learn the ropes and it's satisfying to annihilate your enemies. But multiplayer is the real meat of this game. Luckily its very easy to get into a play-by-email games, does not take a great deal of time or effort, unless you join many games. (or git gud enough to survive until endgame)

The scout doesn't die. He just snagged the province, costing you income. Then he sneaks out. If you don't have dudes in range to recapture it, he can deny your income for more than one turn effectively for free.

The only way this hurts the guy with the scout is if he does it to his ally, because then his ally will be mad at him.

Oi admin, Midgard has staled twice in a row now

That 25g scout just stole a province that an expansion party had to secure, causes you to waste time trying to take it back, and they can stealth away at any point. The player that lost that province is much worse off and that's even before you factor in stuff like your other provinces being cut off or traps.

Is Ys shit
They look slightly shit except for maybe like their Kernou Druids?

Look at the land forms for their sacreds.

Think marv, except instead of cheap S1 mages in every fort, they have big elf mages in their cap and instead of freespawn boars for sacred chaff they have hyper elite hyper expensive firebreathing elf cavalry. And they can recruit their stuff only on coasts and they have sailing and amphibious units.

So basically nothing like Marverni except the druids, I guess.

So what's up with their Geese?

Damn, that Dusk Elder keeps this from being a one-sided battle in Ermor's favor.

Well, that was kind of unexpected.
120g/53r and a bless kind of sounds like "needs a shitton of everything", but kind of interesting.

what the fuck am i supposed to do with oceania?