Classic Car General

Time for a new thread.

25 years and older technically counts as a classic, but it needs more than just age, to be considered a classic.

>Post classic cars
>Blog post about classic cars
>Love classic cars

Boxs and square edges Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2012/01/Pressure-Vessel---1985-Alfa-Romeo-GTV-6-Callaway-Twin-Turbo/3707161.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for
>tfw no slab

tfw no hemi 70 cuda

maybe it's for the best because i'd drive it everywhere and it'd get stolen.

>tfw bought project classic years ago
>greatly overestimated my own ability
>also bought car with little info
>moved on to other cars and it just wastes space in my garage
>only people who ever express interest in buying it want it for nearly nothing because muh hot rod tv show guys can offer $27 for a car and get them to sell

Maybe I'll hit the lotto someday and actually make some progress on it then

what car and what's wrong with it?

>sbc
>rear main seal leak
>someone put a repair sleeve on the crank before but never broke the tabs off the housing

well i guess whatever, then.

Jesus, that Thunderbird looks gorgeous.

>>only people who ever express interest in buying it want it for nearly nothing because muh hot rod tv show guys can offer $27 for a car and get them to sell
My dad is like this

>hurr durr you blew 2 grand on a car that won't even start

It has a functional drivetrain and almost no body rot, it's worth more than 2 grand these days.
He thinks he can buy a show car for like 6000

I weep for current car design when I see something like this. The 80's were clearly the pinnacle of American car design.

68 Charger, it didn't run when I got it, but did turn over. Anyway, after replacing part after part and still getting nothing, I pull the valve covers and rocker arms off to find ALL the rods bent on one side. Also a piece of the head was cracked so had to fix that too. Figured that'd be the final fix and it didn't change anything. That's when it got pushed in the back of the garage and replaced by something I could actually drive and enjoy.

It needs an engine replacement which is pretty clear now but 440s cost an absolute fuckton. It'd be stupid of me not to replace it with what's in it already

That's a nice Bird. A unique rarity too.
Here's something I like that's pretty rare also. (not the truck but the trim package)

I never ever see any 80-82 Thunderbirds, but I do have the higher class equivalent

>68 charger
if you were to sell it, how much would you want for it?

just curious, i do NOT need another project rn, already have too many and too little funds

Got the bad gas out of the tank on the 280ZX, no rust thank goodness. Gonna put fresh gas inside it and hopefully it starts. Gotta replace the drain cock and cock gasket for the radiator because it has a slow leak as well

The pinnacle of american auto design (aesthetically)

if you're 75 years old mayb

19ft of murica

426 cubic inches of murica

Actually 460, sooooooooo much torque, no horsepower

>doesn't just rotate the earth under his tires instead of moving over the earth to get to where he needs to be.

Non-americans baka

Are rust converters memes?
i don't need it to look good, just stop the rust and hold it over until a good paintjob.

>want a square and boxy classic car
>half of them are rusted to shit
>those that aren't rusted are expensive because they've actually been looked after
>tax is ludicrous because "muh ozone"
>can't even fathom what insurance would be like

Living in the UK is suffering.

3 classics, 79 Supra and 91 Crown. also the red 81 Hilux in pieces on the far left

Got the old girl outside for a bath for the first time in a while - year long build is almost done.

My favourite kind of thread, in fact I have a boomer rimming my anus right now as I read about chevy 4-speeds and ford flathead v8's.

Neo-brougham was a mistake. At least the silly jet age barges were original. These slabs merely imitated '30s cars in a different bodystyle.

I dunno, man. But over here in the states caprice classics are plenty cheap. I want an early 80s caprice wagon so bad.

'Bout to get started on a winter project for my Buick, swapping it's 307 for a 403.

this is my first engine swap and I'm pretty excited. We'll also be rebuilding the tranny with a shift kit and torque converter to match.

any tips? like I said, it's my first time but my dad is eager to help me with it all.

I'm more of a fan of late 50s to mid 60s

What about a river sd1?

I admire the Rover V8 but I wouldn't ever buy a daily driver or even a seasonal driver powered by one.

True. Too bad you guys don't have a million small block Chevies and fords in every junkyard

We have a lot of old V8 Mercs here in Germany but you'll always look like a kebabmuslim carpet salesman driving one, and it's too much work and administrative hassle swapping the engine into something else.

That blows. At least in Britain it seems that you can legally import pretty much anything.

You can legally import most things here as well, but THE RUNNING COSTS. I'm looking for a "new" car myself these days and I might be going for something a little older but not terribly old and with an LPG tank. Regular is some $5.80 after taxes and LPG is the equivalent of $2.55.

>5.80 a gallon
Damn niqqa. I pay like 2.30 for premium here. That's fucked

Actually that's the higher end of premium, you can get it for a bit cheaper, and E10 is probably around five bucks.

that's the price for 100 octane leaded race gas around here.

>100 octane leaded race gas
That statement made me aroused

tfw no ranchero to alaska

Saw one of these for sale quite a long time ago for only $2000. They seem to be pretty rare, at least in my area

>tfw Californias bullshit 1976 Smog Law
>tfw want to own a large 80s car but strip all the Smog equipment to wake it up

Move to America.

Even then you'll need more then stripping smog shit to "wake up" an 80's anchor.

Just need to add new heads, exhaust, ignition, carb and cam, lol

so basically building off a short block?

>tfw you actually find premium for eight cents a gallon cheaper than regular

Want to off it? I have a few 440s in various states of displacement just itching for a home.....

Don't know where you are getting the idea that the 440 is expensive because they can be had for under 600 bucks for a longblock that needs refreshed. Total cost somewhere around 3k if it isn't toast.

gibe one plocks

not him btw

How much mechanical knowledge is actually required to daily drive a classic car?

I'll share, but you have to come get one. Currently have a stock 440 minus intake and rocker assembly, a complete 500 with ported iron heads, and a 528 that should be done by January.

Learn how to diagnose and repair: carburetors, ignition systems, wiring systems, breaks, kickdown systems. and cooling systems.

Or else you'll have to drag it to the shop frequently

Where are you located?

Guy with the fucked up trans am dash lights here again. I think I found the issue and I'm also thinking I'm half retarded. I didn't realize that there is a 4 amp fuse for just the dash lights. Also while extracting the fuse the cap fell off and some white powder fell on my face and in my mouth, hopefully it's non toxic but I'll find out when I get back from the parts store because I never thought to buy 4 amp fuses. Also again thanks for the advice because I fucking hate anything to do with wiring or electricity.

Is it possible to learn how to do these things before actually owning a classic?

Yeah just start reading internet pages

Find a classic car you may be able to easily obtain, find the forums (every car will have a forum for it) and just start reading articles and pages about various things.

Or buy a classic car, understand what problems its having and just start reading up on that general subject.

It's a generic answer i know but i don't really know how else to answer it

Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato

>hopefully it's non toxic
you'll be fine, probably.

muh dick. one of my best driving memories was piloting this clapped out alfa spyder down some B roads in the south of britain. truly wonderful.

I seriously want one of these as a track/weekend car.

they are pretty cool

hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2012/01/Pressure-Vessel---1985-Alfa-Romeo-GTV-6-Callaway-Twin-Turbo/3707161.html

>Daily driver shit the bed
>tfw your classic is now your daily for the time being

Feels good. Finally got the carbs tuned just right, too.

I've had to do that. Comfy af

Holy shit, I fixed it. it's still kinda bright out so I'll wait until it's dark and fuck around with the grounds and hopefully they'll get a bit brighter. Still got a few other odds and ends to work out. my driver's side power window will not move (probably a short in the door jam), gotta replace the window sweeps and re glue some weather strips, gotta get a radio wired in, then finally my dad and I went in 50/50 on a "vintage air" system so I got to get that installed. Other than that the rest is cosmetic such as new seats to replace my jegs plastic racing ones, a new paint job, and I'd love to get the extra dome lights ( the ones by your feet) working, also the whole car has a weird barley noticeable lean to the left that I'd like to get straightened out. If anyone wants more pics (no matter how oddly specific) of the car I'd gladly share them since it's the least I could do to repay all the support you guys have given me.

pls respon

I do that more than I should

'72 Chevy Corvette convertible with the side pipes. In black. With a 350 engine.

Shit's dankest when it's cold out and you crank the wheezing heater all the way up, not to keep you warm but so that you can actually see shit.

If you're in the US, the 440 isn't expensive. I paid $4,000.00 for my Imperial with a running 440 under the hood.

Not him, all i can find are built ultrastroked noscope 440s for 5-15 grand.

Its been a dream of mine to own a big block Mopar, Hemi not so much but a genuine 392 would be tits.

Don't have shit for junkyards around here either.

Sorry, working. I'm in Illinois.

fuck, nice freedom get tho

Christ maybe I'm sitting on boomer gold. Hell, any low comp 440 will work if you are willing to swap heads, cam, and pistons. Six Pack rods are fine for street use

Everyone thinks they're a hot rodder because they put chrome valve covers on a painted 440 with high compression. Nobody wants to buy the piece of shit so they try to hock it on ebay.

might just go to philly and chop an old dodge ram

If posted in some of these before, but I'm the dude with the 88 conquest. Things aren't looking good. I can't depress the brake pedal. Pic related.

Nice. Yeah, 440s are a dime a dozen around here. ST Louis North and South (Chrysler Fenton plant ) is maybe 45 minutes away from my home. Lots of trucks for lots of years as well as many passenger cars passed through her gates.

Here in PA there ain't even a junkyard to be had.
I guess an old Dodge utility vehicle would be the best place to find a V8 but im trying to find a non Magnum block 2bh Fram

Nah. Look for old Dodge motorhomes, up through the 70s. Car production of the 440 ended in 1973 and the 400 took over from there. Full size motorhomes still had the mammoth option thoygh you will be dealing with cast internals and maybe 8.2 to 8.5:1 compression and an anemic cam. Good heads, a 4 barrel, headers, and a moderate cam can, has, and will net you 150 horses as you will be deleting the emissions at the same time and going from a lowly 2bbl to a 4bbl. You can make great street power from a 440 but know that the strokers are not cheap to build in the slightest. My 528 stroker buildup including machining is cresting the 9k mark this time. Man do the chevy and ford guys have it easy....

I'm not looking specifically for a 440, i have an A body so 360 would be ideal. if i could get a 440 easier though i wouldn't deny it.
but dat mileage

There is no such thing as a magnum block. Early castings have round cooling ports and no side ribbing. They also feature thinner motor mount ears that are prone to breaking. I've had great luck with 75 to 78 blocks and my 528 is a 78 block. The cooling ports are larger, you can take them to .060 over all day long, and the block castings are slightly lighter than their earlier counterparts.

Anyone who says their HP block is better is lying. It only indicated a hotter cam, six pack rods, and possibly a true dual exhaust or 4/6bbl carbs. The block itself is no different.

The biggest differences you will run into will be your water pump housing and all the front ancillary brackets that stuff like the alternator and PS pump mount to. The design changed in the early 70s to be a bit different so keep that in mind. Mine I fully converted to the late style as parts are more readily available.

It isn't about miles per gallon friend. It's about smiles per mile.

Good luck with a 340, they have shot up very high in recent years. A good alternative would be a 318 or 360 as both are solid, reliable options for an A Body. Is your A body a /6 car at the moment or a factory V8?

>There is no such thing as a magnum block
I'm talking about that gay new shit chrysler is doing, they have shorter deck heights than traditional blocks.

>Good luck with a 340
I know, they're unobtainium, that's why i'll just stroke a 360

>Is your A body a /6 car at the moment
Oh and yes, tranny will have to go because it's a 904 and fuck kickdown tuning.
I'll go A833 but this whole thing won't be done until later in the year when i can afford all the shit you need for an A833 swap.

That's just the difference between the A and LA series VS the B and RB. The B is the low deck Big block, the RB being the raised deck block. The LA was the updated A series and is the 318 and 360 in both non and magnum form (magnums have a better fuel system, cam, exhaust, and rotating assembly as well as higher compression. It can still bolt up to a 904 Automatic just fine and that was the standard 3 speed small block trans. Just give it a shift kit, a good 2200 to 2400 stall converter, and some 3.55 gears and you are golden. I'd go with an 8.75 rear end because if yours is the leaning tower of power, you got the 8.25.

Nothing wrong with the 904 it will hold up to a stock application. The issue is you will need to swap your K member up front with a V8 k member. You can find them but A body prices are getting disgusting. What exactly do you have? If it is a Dart or Scamp, I guarantee you have 3 on the column automatic, bench seats, 14 inch wheels, and an 8.25 out the gate.

the cost to fix my tower of power will probably be more than a junkyard 360 2bh.
Everything is fucked up, the carb is rotten, the throttle assembly doesn't actually work and the previous owner pretty much unbolted the generical kickdown linkage so the tranny could be toast, i dunno, it needs a new everything related to starting it.

If i can find a beat to shit ram or van at a junkyard i may just be able to get a working car

74 dusterfag 2bh

i may just trip as that because i see there's another guy with a duster here as well.

Well welcome to the Mopar club either way. We are much crazier and close knit than the others in the big 3. Here's a pic of mine

Odd didn't take.

Furys are always nice to look at.
I almost bought one but it was stuck in some weeds.

I don't even have a heater my dude

Damn kkk what the fuck is wrong with you.