What are some good (cheap) used cars for roadtrips?

What are some good (cheap) used cars for roadtrips?

Needs to be FUCKING reliable and get the best mileage

preferably not a hybrid, because it'd be a cross country trip (1500miles)

Considering the following:
07+ Camry
07+ Civic
05+ Ford Fusion?

Any options/ recommendations on the ones i said?

Leaning more towards the camries because they're bigger and bomb proof

thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34289&id=34292
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2008 v6 Camry

why get the V6 over the i4?

It'll just be a highway mule, i don't care about creature comforts. Just care about the mileage

Lincoln Town Car.

i4 a revvy pos and goes through fuel quick

might be reliable but i'm pretty sure those get horrid gas mileage

apparently these are pretty good too.

Doesn't have to necessarily be a big boat like the camry, I'd still take it over this i think.

The fuck are you so poor that a 1500 mile road trip will break the bank? Get a Geo then.

You really don't want to do a 1500 mile roadtrip in a buzzy little shitbox. A V6 a 2300rpm is going to be using less fuel than a 1.4 working hard and revving it's tits off at 4000rpm

no need to be angry, I don't want a panther platform

ah, i see

I guess i'm only looking at the V6 camry now

what about the accords?

>camry
>boat
m8

i'm used to miatas, sorry

everything is big for me

Fair enough lel

If you get 20mpg from a Lincoln Town Car (which it'd be higher, more like 22-23) you use 75 gallons

30mpg in a cuck box is 50 gallons

At $3 a gallon for gas (which is almost nowhere) that's $75 difference in the road trip!

you do realize a v6 is less fuel efficient by design.

It has more power than the i4. As you add cylinders (changing nothing else) your fuel economy goes down. This is cars 101.

I've also heard issues of the v6 having glass transmissions. Just go for the i4, it may rev higher on the interstate but turn up the music a bit louder.

feel free to insert your model year here. You're losing as much as 10% mpgs for 2 more cylinders.
fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34289&id=34292

Bigger displacement means more torque which means effortless cruising on the highway. Big engines suck in cities using fuel idling in traffic but they are actually really comparable on the highway because they don't put any effort.

>As you add cylinders (changing nothing else) your fuel economy goes down. This is cars 101.

Then why does a Corvette get better highway mpg's than a Civic? Engine load matters more in the mpg game than displacement on the highway, in the city it's different..

>My v6 exploder gets 26mpg on the highway, about double what it gets in the city, and does better than my friend's v6 camaro
>he jelly

>Corvette get better highway mpg's than a Civic
citation needed

>but my one cherrypicked example refutes your entire statement!

Cherry picking is still proves that smaller engine doesn't mean better gas mileage.

check my quads.

also, you are objectively wrong. 3/10 for making me look

That doesn't look like a civic. Would you really take a Camry over a corvette because you'd use 9 gallons less over the course of the road trip?

I've got a Vitz (Yaris) and it's pretty shit for long drives. It sits just over 3000rpm at 100km/h and the seating position is so upright you can't really relax in the seat. It also puts your ankle at quite an angle on the accelerator so your leg cramps up.

In top gear they did a fuel economy comparison between a prius and an m3 and the m3 was more efficient

What's wrong with your current car? If you have one why not just spend your new car budget fixing it?

He said it's a miata

quads checked

V6 generally gets better mileage on highway than i4

Pontiac vibe/matrix. I have a 5spd fusion and get about 29mpg at 75mph, id expect the auto to get 28.

Pontiac g6 with the 3.5 v6
Hear me out here.
>under 2k rpms at 75mph
>cant hear or feel any engine vibration
>Pretty damn good mpgs on highway (I got 29 my last trip)
>quiet cabin (not mercades tier but still really good)
>reliable platform and engine
>comfy seats that recline really far (the cloth is softer than the fake leather shit though, get the cloth)
>can be found cheap as dirt cause pontiac is dead
>can still be serviced at any gm dealership and parts are cheap af
Also the same as the saturn aura, and Chevy Malibu
But I don't think the Malibu got the 3.5 and the interior in the g6 is better than the saturn (opinion)

you reach a peak curve where the i4 has more fuel efficiency up to a point, at which point the v6/i6 will have better fuel efficiency. That point is generally much higher speeds. I don't have charts but I'd assume it's somewhere north of 3k RPMs, so 80-85 mph.

i did a trip with my buddy from savannah to orlando in his 6 speed mini and shit was actually a super fun trip. we did 80-90 most of the trip, not sure mpg but not bad. Not a lot of room for luggage or a dog or stuff like that but fun for 2 ppl. idk about reliability or price tho he broke a CPS and cam sprocket 2 separate occasions.

if you want reliable and comfortable i agree about towncar, what you will save on initial purchase you can put toward gas, if this is a one time kinda deal

interesting

is the 3.5 the GT model?

It wouldn't be a one time thing, would be doing that and other roadtrips multiple times a year

I usually get 43mpg doing 80-85 in my 13 civic cruising. If I drive like a POS (when my brother is leading the way) my MPG TANKS big time closer to 32mpg.

Drive conservatively and you can do much better.

what's your budget?

Why buy a car just for a trip? Just go rent whatever generic v6 sedan you can find.

>towncar
>reliable

I have a C5 that can do 33 MPG, only mods are intake and exhaust

Best part is at 100 MPH it still gets like 26 MPG

around 10k

Get a Chevy Malibu 08+. They're comfy cars desu, my friend has one and it's better then my jetta

I assume you're talking about the V6 ones?