Car accident "first" responder

Has Veeky Forums ever witnessed a car accident then stopped to give assistance? How did it go? I've seen plenty of accidents with once recently 2 days ago and I always want to help but really don't know much. All I know is to get the ignition on crashed vehicles turned off and possibly people to be seated upright.

I'm considering on getting some sort of basic medical skills, no crazy shit like decompression needles along with some first aid setup in my car along with road flares or those window breaking devices.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law
volokh.com/2009/11/03/duty-to-rescuereport-statutes/
lmgtfy.com/?q=Good samaratin law
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Enjoy getting sued

Start by taking a first aid and CPR course. You can do a lot with a basic first aid kit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

>be midnight
>dribing behind an ambulance
>stop at left turn lane, he's beside me
>both windows are down
>tell him "keep up the good work, have a good night ugu!"
>he gives me thumbs up, we both turn out heads towards intersection
>smoking wreck wrapped around a pole directly to the right
>three men trying to pull one guy out
>5 seconds of surprise
>ambulance gets out to help him
Not very interdasting and I didn't do shit but prolong that user's help for another 10 seconds.
But I'm high enough to think this is worth sharing.

Where do you live that you get sued for helping strangers in need of medical attention?

Ameirca, the land of litigation loves to sue people for anyone.

Oh and the police are shit there i hear, will arrest you if they think you did it cause like, hey if we have a cause, and a crime, i get a bonus or some shit.

6 years back I was coming home from my weed dealer one night and heard a crash around the corner once, didnt realized what it was till I cam across a smoking car in the oncoming lane, with another car that it had run into resting across the street. Someone ran a red light

Anyway I look at this car and see all this smoke inside with nobody getting out. At this point it had been a minute or so since it had happened. I stop my car, put the flashers on, and hop out to check the car out. I can see the outline of an old lady inside, but the car is filling with smoke without any ventilation.

Luckily the doors were unlocked, so I open the door and turn off the car. The lady is passed out, cop said it was probably an airbag to the face. I try to wake her up, but she isnt moving. I then tried to drag her out of the toxic fumes but she was fat as fuck and I did make a mistake in moving her head around a little, definitely dont do that if you get in a similar situation.

But with the car off, the smoke (which smelled like straight poison) starts dissipating. A cop shows up a minute or 2 later and takes over the situation. But if I didnt turn the car off and open the door there could have been a chance that lady might have suffocated. I dipped out right as she woke up cuz I wasnt a witness and smoked a fat blunt when I got home.

If you do more than basic checking on someone you can definitely be liable for lawsuit. A friends dad dragged a lady out of a burning car and got sued, but he got saved by the good Samaritan law. If you are doing advanced aid on someone IDK if you can be protected by that.

>former volunteer emergency services

You need to do a proper first aid course or you risk doing more harm than good in some cases.
In terms of stuff you can use in the meantime- fire extinguisher (for fuel fires), seat belt cutter and a basic first aid kit with bandages and stuff will see some use if you have to do some very basic stuff.

I don't know about car crashes and accidents, but I cooked this for myself and now I am watching kitchen nightmares while eating it.

The way it is here in Ontario, Canada, If you come across someone that is unconscious and in need of first aid, consent is automatically given provided you are a first responder or have formal first aid training and if any negative outcome were to occur, you cannot be held liable for any damages that happen so long as it wasn't due to some sort of gross negligence. Same goes if the person is conscious and they give consent.

That being said, having extensive first aid training due to the nature of my work, I've just flat out refused to render first aid at several accident scenes when I ventured down into the States on my trips due to the sue happy populace y'all have. Made sure 911 was called but I'm not touching ya.

Biggest thing is to not move the person unless you need to (car catching on fire, person is pulseless and you need to perform CPR) Spinal injuries are no joke and you can do more harm than good.

EMT fag ama. Deal with crashes every fucking weekend cause retards don't know how to drive in rain.

Take a proper first aid/cpr course, the skills you learn will give you the knowledge of how to handle a variety of situations that could potentially happen.

Yeah a guy in a triumph side car somehow ended up on the opposite side of the motor way going through the bush median strip literally right in front of me and my mum and bunch of others heading towards coffs

>Stopped immediately
>i run around and gather all his motorbike parts the seat was lying in the bushes
>didnt rubber neck and made sure the guy was okay while other randoms helped him and the ambo showed up and i fucked off

That was only a couple of months ago

Best one i remember i was about 8 heading down the waterfall way with my mum back from drama class on the weekend and this nutty bitch in a orange torana came whipping round behind us on the downhill slope round a corner and overtook us, gunned down a straight away and by the time we saw her dissapear round the next corner her car was wrapped around a tree.

Pretty mental

The best thing you can do is immediately call 911. Do not attempt to provide "medical" assistance if you are not a certified emergency care provider like an EMT or Paramedic. You may turn the ignition off if it is safe to do so. Do not attempt to move the person out of the vehicle if it is not imminently going to light on fire or otherwise become hazardous. The best thing you can do is learn how to do is control bleeding and get a CPR certification from AHA. Do not randomly attempt to do things with no actual training or idea of what you're doing, that will get you sued and the good Samaritan law won't matter because you acted negligently.

Now suck my dick ;D

Why are Europeans so childlike with their thought processes?

Never, I would rather let someone possibly die than touch a car accident scene because you will get sued into oblivion if they feel like it.

That is what the world has done to people.

>Be driving along in winter
>Roads are icy
>Regular 35mph speed limit so just being normal cautious
>Notice a car ahead of me trying to turn downa side street at non-icy speed
>Direct girlfriend's attention to it (teaching her to drive)
>Watch what happens here
>As expected, car slides across both lanes of the side street and climbs curb
>Unexpectedly, continues to accelerate
>Manages to perfectly allign their passenger tire with the street sign
>Drive straight up the half knocked over pole
>Flip car right on its driver's side
>Holy shit
>Pull off and park
>Run up to car
>It's an old Mexican woman
>Still flooring it
>Passenger wheel spinning like crazy
>Car teetering precariously
>Everyone screaming at her to shut it off
>Totally ignored
>At least gets off the throttle but still idling and wheel turning
>Try to open passenger door
>Fucking locked
>Firefighters come
>Also have their instructions ignored
>Bust out back window
>Climb into car
>Wrap her in blanket
>Hold her while they use the jaws of life to cut the roof off the car to get her out
Fucking totalled even though it was just on its side on dirt, could have easily been flipped back on its wheels had the street sign not been under it - probably still would have if she'd just turned it off and climbed out through the passenger door

>This is what yuropoors actually believe

It's literally a crime in most states to not render reasonable assistance you fucking worthless shit.

>chink or Brazilian detected

This is as enforced as jaywalking or failure to report a crime.

IE never. If the crashee doesn't snap your license plates and report you for fucking off nothing will ever happen.

>That is what the liberals have done to the world.
ftfy

Listen here fucktard that's incorrect. It's only illegal if you have the emergency training. If you're a civilian you will never get penalized for not rendering aid even if you know how too. You could stand next to the wreck and take pictures and not get penalized.

>car on its side
>still flooring it
The absolute madma- er, madwoman

volokh.com/2009/11/03/duty-to-rescuereport-statutes/

>if there's no evidence of my crimes nothing will ever happen
Except for you going to hell, fucking waste of life

Back wherever you came from, luddite. You're no Veeky Forums man.

>9/10: call the cops
>vermont: assist them or up to a $100 fine
wew

>implying hell wants me
Limbo4lyfe, grand champ

btw you can't be sued in america for trying to help, you can actually get sued for not helping if you were like a trained EMT that was offduty or a doctor

One of those is for me right?

>being this Chinese
Lol

>A friends dad dragged a lady out of a burning car and got sued, but he got saved by the good Samaritan law.
>you can't be sued in america for trying to help

False, people get sued. Most cases fail due to good samaritan law. But lawyers also know how to twist the good samaritan law. So some good meaning people still end up sued for profit. Some people who are injured were true assholes. So when you stopped to help, they were happy you helped and grateful but at the same time you were also another money-making opportunity for them. Prior to obamacare, lawsuits against bystanders who helped them were the one way someone that was underinsured did regularly. It was a typical method to try to get money to avoid being bankrupted by the accident.

The other problem about it is that the costs of the lawyer to defend yourself is lost.

I don't stop at car accidents anymore
I used to. One night I was coming home from work and it was snowing. This stupid ass girl (like 16 or 17) rear ended someone 2 cars ahead of me while we were all doing 50.

I turned back around because it looked bad, called 911 and everything. She asked to use my phone (keep in mind it's dark as fuck) and she was covered in blood and not in good shape. I didn't want blood on my phone so i said I would call the number for her. She gave me 3 different numbers and they were all wrong numbers. I finally got flustered and said these are all wrong numbers! She grabbed for my phone to dial herself and got blood all over my phone and my shirt. EMS showed up a minute or so later

I got home and had a ruined shirt and months of suspecting I had HIV, Plus I had to clean blood off of my phone.

Stopped stopping after that. No my problem anymore

>what that chick was driving

>has never been here
>is expert on all things American
Classic.

>She asked to use my phone

If it's not a dire obvious situation, my phone doesn't exist for anyone else to use. For example, at the public library, some well dressed homeless (the free clothing handouts give them better stylish clothing than I wear) scam you. Once they get your galaxy or iphone in their hands, you have to pay $100 to get it back. If not, it falls to the ground and is stomped. They don't run with it.

It's a vicious world. People who try to help are just sticking their neck out to have it chopped off sometimes. HIV, people vomiting on you, all sorts of other problems. Lawsuits and the money lost defending against them plus now there is a civil suit on your record. People suck.

>I got home and had a ruined shirt and months of suspecting I had HIV, Plus I had to clean blood off of my phone.

It's tough if you were married and had to go thru testing first before you dared to sleep in the same bed again.

>what is a 50 state good samaritan law

If you see a horrible accident and dont stop unless emergency services are already on the scene youre literally not human you fuck

>Once they get your galaxy or iphone in their hands, you have to pay $100 to get it back. If not, it falls to the ground and is stomped.
Hahahaha my phone is only worth about $20 so we'd just see what all fell to the ground and got stomped.

It doesn't guarantee you don't get sued. Defending yourself in court costs money too. A lot of people forget how their state writes up its own version of good samaritan law. Technically, status as a Good Samaritan must be proved by the person who claims the shield as part of a defense to a negligence claim. Thus, rather than being prospective protection, Good Samaritan laws are retrospective protection in nature. This means that the volunteer responder technically has no guarantee at the outset that the statute will cover his action. It is that situation that offers the chance of a lawsuit being filed. The defendant can allow the suit or settle out of court to avoid paying the cost of a court trial.

Im wondering if you were to beat the shit out of that homeless how much trouble youd get in? Good chance itd be none since they are homeless after all i think, provided theres no witnesses

>lifeproof case
I'd beat the shit out of them though

There's too many homeless watching. They don't snitch on each other so it's no good getting any of them as witness for a normal citizen. But they will participate in a lawsuit against you beating one of them.

You'd never be able to use your car in that area again unless you have an easily forgotten car. Your WAT sticker gives you away!

Aussie here. 6 monthly trained in emergency response including Low Voltage accidents.

It's illegal to not offer aid if you see a person who needs it, as in in a car crash / passed out on the street. The level of care needed can simply be 'offer them some water' though as long as you didn't actively leave them to their demise.

>It's illegal to not offer aid if you see a person who needs it
Have never heard of it enforced except for BLM social welfare programs.

>some dude's jeep started leaking fluid
>i was the car behind him, I stopped and my passenger and I got out and helped him push it like a block away so he can park and call AARP
>felt good and racked up some positive karma

Who would have told you about it?

You've clearly never been to the US.

FFS
>lmgtfy.com/?q=Good samaratin law

As an actual fireman, I would say most of the time don't bother stopping unless it's baaaaaaaaad bad. You will get taken to court and made to look horrible if u actually saw the accident or put your hands on someone. Most of the time there's nothing u can do for these people anyways, we just wait for ems to show up and take em. If they're pinned or legitimately fucked up u don't Wana be trying to move em if ur a bystander... unless the car is on fire or something. Better to just avoid it man.

Take first aid courses

I'm soon to be a first responder for the red cross, feeling tired of not being able to give treatment to people cause I'm not allowed to do so yet

>You will get taken to court and made to look horrible if u actually saw the accident or put your hands on someone.

I have to agree. Lots of people look at accidents as a way to make money. Turn their misfortune into a fortune with lawsuits. If you were not perfect in your good samaritan behaviour, you end up paying a bunch of money to the accident victim or even supporting the penalty against the person who caused the accident because they say you made the problem worse or interfered or slowed someone else down and thus are responsible for part of the damages.

The Good Samaritan laws of many states are not a blank check or perfect shield against lawsuits. You simply don't hear of these lawsuits in the news because both the gov't and news media don't want to discourage people from helping others.

Where do you live where it rains every weekend?

>Who would have told you about it?

It was in the local news. Due to political correctness it was not worded that way, but it was apparent what was going on with the demands made by BLM for more taxpayer funded services above and beyond the regular social welfare and medical services. Stipends for education and parks converted to housing, and more and worded such that if it was not done, more crime and violence would occur in addition to the demonstrations our area already had.

Madmadame is also an acceptable term.

More like a would have been hit-and-run type driver. They hit something, and keep their foot on the pedal and drive off in a panic to not get blamed for anything.

Washington. It's a shit show

>What is loser pays

I hate when Europoors try to act like experts on US law.

I've been one of the first people on scene to five accidents, and attempted to give first aid to one of those people. In order:

Someone crashed into my neighbors fence, then fled the scene. Dumbass managed to rip his front plate off on impact, cops found it, not sure what happened to the driver.

A second person crashed into the same fence and also fled the scene. No plate in the yard this time.

A kid hit a curb on his dirtbike, went over the handlebars, kissed a phone pole with no helmet on. This is the guy I tried to help. He was conscious, but not lucid. I tried to get him to lay still so I could stabilize his neck, but he either couldn't understand me or wasn't listening to me. He blacked out right before the EMTs got there. He might have died, I still don't know.

A guy hit the same pole with his car, opened the door and started ranting incoherently about killing himself. I decided to just call 911 and stay away from his crazy ass.

A woman drove through an red light (not sure if she just ran it or if her brakes failed) and got hit by another driver. She then hit the curb and fucked her front axle. She was physically fine and declined help when I offered.

Been at a moose collision, but there was no point in attempting to help the person. Just secured the area, put up markings and contacted the authorities

I carry a larger first-aid kit in the event of stuff like this, aswell as blankets, crowbar and some other small stuff

I pulled a 6 year old kid out of a car that flipped 3 times. I saw it all happen. He was pretty dazed and barley understood what was happening. Also, I had to pull him out of the sun roof. Pretty intense day

Did u die

Only googles have anything to fear from cops, because they are always guilty of something. they crime when being lawful would do. Cops are bros if you treat them with respect.

Riight. Implying I wouldnt shove my Walther in his face so fast...

I've been asked before. I just point at the payphone or the phone at the information desk. I don't hand over my smartphone or airbook to some stranger who could then simply run with it.

Ever seen any particularly gnarly incidents? Like limbs servered/missing

>Ever seen any particularly gnarly incidents?
Not that guy, but there was an accident where a homeless person was walking in some nice neighborhood across the alley. A lot of homes have garage access via the alley in order to avoid having a large garage door visible in the front.

Someone must have been driving fast down the alley unused to having someone in the alley and he got hit. The driver must have panicked and then swerved and hit a wooden pole and concrete wall. The homeless guy was killed.

I heard about the accident and went by to look after the police had finished inspecting the crime scene. No citations were issued to the rich driver and it was deemed an accident. Some of the grayish flesh was smeared into some of the crevices or cracks in the wall. Ants were getting them so there wasn't too much left.

It's a good thing creatures like bees don't need cadavers or whatnot to make honey. Ants make no products humans consume, so there is no chance of being a cannibal from eating a product created by creatures that ate some human flesh.

nah, your thinking of China, here in the USA, you can really only get sued if you take some sort of payment for the act of helping someone.
but its not a bad thing, most people here help others out of empathy.

After obamacare gets repealed, the poor people will have to sue the good samaritans using a contingency fee lawyer. They have to get money from somewhere to pay their own medical costs. Although they'd probably (but not always) lose in court, the person being sued probably would cough up at least a few thousand to settle out of court because the cost of defense wouldn't be worth having a court case (and it would also appear on his civil record).

>Ever seen any particularly gnarly incidents? Like limbs servered/missing

Quite a few when I was in volunteer emergency services

>Guy crossed the lanes on his harley halfway through a corner-cutting and buried it into a Mitsu Pajero coming the other way
>Rider was dead and I found his head 50m away still in its helmet
>Passenger wasn't wearing leathers, she got her legs and arse skinned like a sausage
>Driver was pretty messed up and had to spend longer than anyone would have wanted trapped with with half a biker going through his windscreen

>Bike rider got sucked under a B-double truck
>Ended up wrapped around the axles of the last trailer with his bike
>Took us close to 2 hours to cut him out of his bike
>Weird shit- had a couple of minor fractures and more bruises than going 10 rounds in the ring but he was otherwise fine!

>Drunk driver in an old falcon ute
>Hit a bridge going about 120-150km/h, wasn't wearing a seatbelt so went through the windscreen
>Ute was almost cut in half
>Drunky pinged off the side of the bridges supports, human entrails can go a surprisingly long way! We never did find his left hand or lower right leg

They where the messiest and weirdest ones I can remember, not 'the nastiest' ones though which are more /out/ related. Gore doesn't bother me at all, though I do like a leg of lamb or pork well cooked.