Safety Improvements on 80s cars

Hey Veeky Forums does anybody have any ideas on what I could do to make my e30 safer? I'd like to keep the interior intact. Airbags are not an option. Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UTJWp_l4TWU
youtube.com/watch?v=e7UihAyjJj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

rollcage
is the only answer

Thats the only option I know of, but expensive. I'm more worried about side impacts. Shatterproof glass would be nice if theres a market for it

>Hey Veeky Forums does anybody have any ideas on what I could do to make my e30 safer?

Don't crash.

came here to post this

FWD conversion

>implying you don't want to die in a fiery crash of glorious carnage

It's the only way to go to Valhalla all shiny and chrome.

Obviously but im more worried about getting t-boned at an intersection.
Thats what im looking for but wouldn't want to strip my interior. Have you seen anything like in the pic that protects the door area without being a full cage

lol i like the sarcasm

I feel safe in my e30 but as big as today's cars are it is uneasy thinking about being hit by a suburban or even any modern sedan.

Going 70-80mph on the interstate is a little sketchy knowing I could die at the blink of an eye

Weight
Lots and lots of weight. You want that crossover that crosses the centreline and hits you to get shunted 10m backwards. Heaviest vehicle wins.
IE pump your chassis full of concrete

Too bad i stripped everything out haha. Oh well i guess i started a dumb thread haha. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas besides a full cage and new seatbelts.

>what're some options besides the only options that exist?
Wear a racing helmet then. And get a 5-point belt

Starting with the grille, replace every part on the car until it's a Volvo 240

Late e30s had a driver airbag.
Other than that decent tyres and brakes.

you could wear a motorcycle helmet

>thick roll cage
>ricer body kit
>M paintjob
>stickers
Now you can wear a helmet and suit and you wont look like a retard
At least not because of the helmet

Put ///m power badges everywhere
Basically lucky charms that will protect you

What's with all the faggots on Veeky Forums recently who drive cars from 80s or 90s,and the worry about muh safety.

Might as well not drive a car if you're going to think about possible crashes all the time.

>mfw I've being DD this for almost 2 years now
youtube.com/watch?v=UTJWp_l4TWU

You're just as likely to get run over crossing the street, struck by lighting, shot by a nignog, keel over from heart failure. as you'll die in an accident in your car.

Quit being a pussy.

*I've been

Kek

So if you are worried about people crashing Into a roll cage is the only answer, unfortunately.

There is no reason to worry about safety on the road.
It's the stupidest thing that only people with autism do.

>So if you are worried about people crashing Into a roll cage is the only answer, unfortunately.
A rollcage will KILL you unless you have a harness, helmet and HANS.
The whole point of the rollcage is to keep the car intact, and then the combo of Harness, HANS, and helmet will keep you alive.
Trust me, you'd be better off with just a regular lap/shoulder belt (no Airbag) than a lap/shoulder and cage.
TL;DR Cage+ 5 Point + Helmet + Hans or stay stock. Anywhere inbetween will kill you.
Ok, you can avoid the HANS and helmet on the road, but at least get a harness with that cage.

makes sense, ill take the advise

Explain how a well made cage will kill you. A well made cage that keeps the integrity of the passe get cabin in a collision. Tell me how that would kill you over an uncaged death trap that is an e30.

They're dangerous to your noggin without a helmet.

You hitting your head with cage, at 30+ mph will kill you, the basic seat belt and seats that are in the car are not going to keep you from hitting that, the seat belt is merely there to keep you coming out of the car, a full racing harness + helmet will keep you from hitting the cage.

One of the tripfags of old got beaned and killed by his own roll bar, after being hit by someone else years ago.

What is padding, there should be enough room in the e30 to build a cage so a bar is not right next to your head.

Well now that I think of it maybe not. For a cage to pass tech inspection it's going to be pretty intrusive I think.

I do believe you could design a cage that isn't intrusive and will give you protection in street driving.

Padding isn't going to do shit at impact speeds.
The point of rollcages is integrity of the cabin, and they have that fancy harness to anchor you, the helmet protects your noggin from the cage and body of the car, and the hans prevents you from getting rekt by whiplash from the harness doing its job.
They all work in concert, you can't just add one and call it a day.
Buy a new BMW if you want safety.

my sides

Here is a stock E30 crash test from the 80s at 35 MPH

youtube.com/watch?v=e7UihAyjJj4

You're in a 30 year old car, it doesn't have airbags, it doesn't have the structural cabin rigidity of a modern car, it doesn't have the crumple zones at the front AND it is light as fuck. Also 30 year old seatbelts and seatbelt mechanisms.

You can't improve a stock E30's safety, The only things you can do is avoid the accident in the first place:

1. A good set of brakes/tyres
2. Replace the shockers/springs/bushings
3. Wheel alignment.
4. Maybe replace the E30 rack with an E36 rack, which has less turn-to-turn.

If you're really scared, put in a race seat, 5 point harness and a roll cage.

>brembos
>coilovers
>wider tyres
>street roll cage
>street bucket seats with 4 point harness
>don't do weight reduction
>chassis reinforcement in the front

You might need some more power though (+25bhp?) as your car could weigh 150kg more

Dual density foam will go a long way.