So I'm picking up my new ride on Saturday

So I'm picking up my new ride on Saturday.

It's a 97 Cherokee. UK model, green, 4.0, auto, completely standard save for some pepperpot wheels, a glasspack and a pushbar.

Any essential mods I should know about? Tips & tricks? It's just going to be my commuter for the time being but I would like to develop it into something more in due course. UJs on the front axle are shot but it's going to be in 2wd for the foreseeable future.

Btw I'm a brit pls no bully parts are still abundant over here

please respond

Get a manual. These automatics are shit.

What are you modding it for?
If it's offroad leave it stock as britains toughest off-road is about equvilent of a e.europe city back street.
t.someone who has lived in both areas and done offroading

If you want to turn it into a speedy car for track or something, I'd love to see you post more about it as it would give interesting results

Don't bugger it, just keep it as stock.

>UJs on the front axle are shot but it's going to be in 2wd for the foreseeable future.

Yeah is not like they turn with the wheels or anything

As long as it's not clunking or revving to like 3000 and breaking your neck when it shifts it's fine. Presumably OP isn't going to go rock crawling or anything with it if he's going to leave bad u joints in the front.

The tranny's great, shifts quick and doesn't hesitate. My other car is a manual.

Well I do know a few lads who go muddin' quite often in lifted Discos. There are definitely places around here that it couldn't deal with in stock config

noted

As long as they're not subjected to any torque they'll live. They clunk in 4wd but in 2wd they're right as rain

I won't be doing anything to it right now, those UJs will be the first thing I replace when I come to work on it as it has a slight inner shaft seal leak on the front right. I've done both on another Jeep

Mainly I'd like an owner's opinion on things that can be done to make it a better vehicle in general. For example on my Audi a common thing to replace is the wastegate diverter valve which often fail resulting in a slight but noticeable lack of power.

>I'd like an owner's opinion on things that can be done to make it a better

Throttle body spacer, cold air intake and premium gas did wonders for my 4l tj but honestly xjs are so good stock I wouldn't fuck with it. I upgraded my current xjs alternator but only because it was bad and I was already in there. Upgrade #1 is usually a mild lift, but that's like the last thing you need in the U.K.

L I F T

BRITISH
RACING
GREEN

Thanks m8.

DULY NOTED.

>tfw it is

>not getting a defender

>£500 defender

No thanks lad

I had a Cherokee. They're great cars, OP. Have fun with it and take care of it!

>glasspacks
Jesus shit that thing must roar, I'm jealous

are you saying you got pic related for half a ton? nice

Cheers mates, I look forward to some fun times with it.

I forgot to add the pic isn't mine but yep £500 smackers, only difference is it's green RHD and has pepperpots. I'll see if I can acquire a video of it before I collect it, it sure does shout

>UK Model completely standard
The transmission isn't "standard" faggot

It's not called "stick" or "standard", it's fucking manual you silly cunt

the autos are pretty fuckin good actually, I have the stock from factory trans in my cherokee with over 300k miles and it still shifts at the right times and smoothly

>jeep

Put as many aftermarket lights on it as humanly possible.

>retarded civic fanboys can't read

That's good to hear. This one's at around 115k, if it lasts half as long as yours I'll be well happy!

Great idea actually and made me laff. Definitely going to do this even if only temporarily.

Nice motor btw looks great in white

yeah the body will def fall apart way before the engine and trans give way, my undercarriage isn't pretty, I have a couple holes in the floor from trails but she runs like a raped ape and starts on the first crank every time
thanks m8

>says I can't read
>ops jeep is automatic
>what is reading comprehension
I know this I'm amerikun

Congrats on the xj OP. I put a crappy muffler on mine and it still sounded gr8, so be prepared. the 4.0l is bulletproof and there's no harm in not lifting. I have a 96 but I'm getting rid of it because I'm a poorfag that can't afford the gas for it