Don't brake check

>Be driving down I-10 minding my own business doin 75-80mph
>Big rigs in right lane, me behind a nissan crossover in the left slowly passing
>Look up to see silverado 4 door hauling ass up behind
>Jumps over in the right lane behind the big truck that the nissan and I are passing, prolly tryin to cut off the nissan and go further in the left lane
>Realizes that he's in the slower lane and eventually gets behind me
> Nissan passes truck and gets into the right lane as it should
>Road widens to 3 lanes
>The silverado brakes to fall behind the big rig and 2 lane swap to the far right lane
> I proceed to the center and watch the silverado go by me
> I then proceed to the right lane because the left lane is clogged with morons going slow
>Eventually I wind up behind the silverado and I give him the standard 2 second gap to follow
>I see brake lights and tough my brakes lightly as one second of my gap falls away
>Realize in the latter second that the silverado is braking as hard as he can and I'm closing fast
>My brakes lock up and the interstate turns to the left and I notice what I thought was a shoulder
>Turns out it was an exit and I hit a divider between the exit road and the interstate

Walked away from the accident but my poor little truck did not. Maybe if I had better tires I would have been able to slow more, but it didn't work that way and now I have whiplash and no truck

I'm wondering if there's any way to track down this bastard and make him pay for brake checking me like that.
All I know is that he was driving a 2012-2014 pearl white silverado LT or LTZ, with military plates in TX.
Been thinking about hiring a PI, but I have no proof since my dash cam wasn't in my truck at the time.
If I could talk to him and he's a reasonable individual who just made a bad decision, I might be okay with just guilt tripping him a bit, or if he's a gigantic cunt then I could tell him that the driver died and he might feel guilty enough to confess and pay for my truck.

It was a pretty gnarly flip.
Something out of a stuntman movie.
Hit the barrier and went airborne then landed on the roof
Back of the truck was on the cement railing, while I slid down the highway upside down.
Once I slowed a bit, it flipped right side up with the back left wheel on the rail still.

It used to be a 2008 Coloraydo 2.9L 5spd single cab with 4wd and intake and exhaust plus tuning.

You're probably fucked.

Plate kinda looked like this
Distinguished service Department of Transportation
Which I find a bit ironic

Your an idiot for following to close and not paying attention. Also if your brakes lock up you pump them you idiot. Not just hold it down and let it slide. This is some Jesus take the wheel bullshit.

Are you sure he brake-checked? Maybe he had to brake.

Sounds like you're pretty bad at this

Fronts didn't lock up much b/c abs and disks
Rears are drums so they are harder to keep from locking up
Did I mention that all this happened within about 3 seconds, and this happened in a turn near an exit which is off camber toward the exit, further minimizing my chances of avoiding incident?
If I didn't have a view completely full of cheby tailgate then I would have seen the exit and just hit him instead.
Moral of the story: Never leave home without a dashcam recording.

he made a mistake and it had a bad result this time

also, if you've never been in this kind of situation it's hard to keep yourself from just slamming the brakes

The folks that stopped to help me asked why he stopped in front of me, b/c there was nothing in the way. That even went in the police report and probably saved me from getting a ticket.
Either he was trying way too hard to make the exit without consideration of his surroundings, or he's an asshole.

>make him pay for brake checking me
Did you do anything earlier to provoke him?

You didn't leave enough following distance, what kind of idiot are you?

the only thing I can think of is when I didn't leave a gap in between me and the nissan in the left lane for him to cut me off.
He pulled up in the right lane behind the big rig, then looked like he wanted to jump over into my lane, but there wasn't room so he filed in behind me and was actually tailgating me uncomfortably close.
Other than that, I gave him plenty of room.
We were only near one another for about a mile.

You were driving too close, and too fast on an unladden truck with lack of proper ABS (lol domestic trucks). You deserve it.

>see driver driving erratically
>end up behind him
>follow too close
>wreck
>blame everyone but yourself
I was starting to forget I was on Veeky Forums, but with the MR2 crashing in norcal and now this, we're back on track again.

I was 2 seconds back b/c he sped away and I figured he would keep going at that speed.
I was trying to back off to 3 seconds when this happened but I guess he was already off throttle and decelerating.
I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver, but there's no reason to stop in the middle of a busy interstate.

You should always keep enough distance that at any point, taking in account the braking performance of your vehicle, how tired you are and speed androad conditions, emergency braking from the car in front of you does not cause an accident.

Yep, OP should start accepting responsibility for driving like a jack ass and not blaming other people for his problems.

>MR2 crashing in norcal
Story?

>I crashed my truck because I'm a poor driver so I want to scam people into giving me money so I can buy a new truck to crash

>Go to Veeky Forums for advice
>Find out I'm actually a cancerous plague on humanity and motoring alike
>kinda I wish I had died in that accident
Good talk Veeky Forums
Thanks for the help

Honestly bro you just gotta learn your lesson, and hopefully some other people do not follow close to other cars as well.
I tend to have that problem when i go into a corner because most people drive like old grandmothers.
Good luck on getting a new ride. How long did you have that colorado? Was it sentimental. That's the shit that gets me the most.

Got it at 60k
Crashed it at 180k
We were together alot
January would have been 5 years
Literally spent 20min crying in it today at the wrecker yard
It was a DD till I got another car which doesn't handle like a truck so maybe I got used to car handling and expected my truck to do the same
I usually drive the shit out of the car, so I know where threshold braking and max grip is, but the truck is for hauling and driving when the DD is down. I was actually on my way to get trans fluid for the DD b/c I had to open the trans to fix it.

I always get the fuck away when I see someone driving like an asshole

Next time just hit the bastard

Your welcome.

I have been in this situation. Brake pumping is a trained reaction. Train more if you want to drive like a race car driver. Also if someone is driving like an idiotic asshole avoid being behind him.

This, why would you get right behind someone driving like a jackass?

Don't drive 80 in the city. Especially on roads you don't know. (seeing as how you didn't know that exit was coming up). I do 80-90 on rural interstates but only 60-70 on city freeways because there are too many big rigs and fucktards. Also, you should have slammed into that truck (unless he was braking to avoid hitting someone else) brake checkers deserve to be rammed into hell by a fully loaded big rig going full speed ahead.

I wasn't right behind him
I just filed into the right lane to go with the flow of the traffic and he slowed down after blowing by, which is why I think he was trying to "teach me a lesson" by brake checking me. That's the reason I'm so upset about it. I was forced into an error. If I had lost control myself, then this thread wouldn't be here and I'd probably hang myself for being a shitty(er) driver.

Speed limit is 75
I'm somewhat familiar with that stretch of road and I wouldn't call it exactly city driving
Next time I'll def have my dashcam and I won't have to worry about other people trying to kill me unless they actually succeed.

How much you get your Colorado for? What options did you get (engine, transmission, 2wd/4wd, rear end)
And yeah, you should have had enough distance between you 2. My shitty 98 s10 stops just fine, and ABS works fine, there is no way its the Colorados fault. When im on the highway, call me a fag, but i keep an ample amount of distance between me and the person infront of me. Say what you will, but it has saved me from an accident a good 3 times.

I bought it for $8k with 60k miles in Jan 2012
It was a single cab 2.9L 4wd 5spd with 3.73 gears
It was a fleet truck, but I've never heard what fleet
The only trouble I ever had out of it was passlock which is why I decided to tune it.
Got a CAI, cut the cats out of the exhaust, and did a few things with HPTuners.
It wasn't perfect, but it was mine and I worked hard to keep it nice.

>Realize in the latter second that the silverado is braking as hard as he can and I'm closing fast

So you think he used his size to block your visibility and he lured you into one of the freeway's notorious crash spots? I know some drivers out there are like that. Having a military medal or purple heart license plate doesn't mean the driver isn't an asshole. The car can also be driven by someone else other than the medal recipient.

Youtube has various videos of people who had dashcams but were lured into a crash spot. Lots of people drive and mindlessly brake when they see others brake ahead of them. So the driver in front lures by getting someone to follow. Then gets as close to the bad spot as possible and brakes hard. The car following thinks it is just normal braking and doesn't brake as hard. By the time the following car realizes it is a super hard braking spot it is too late and he crashes. The lead car then keeps going and has a big schadenfreude laugh at the wreck behind him.

>cut the cats
You better get back to that wreck and make it look like a recent hackjob. As in from immediately after you crashed. Now.

>pumping your brakes

You are not ABS. Learn to threshold brake. Better in every way, and far less likely to cause your rears to break traction.

I poked the front cat out so it still looks fine and the secondary one isn't really necessary anyway so that one was actually replaced with a piece of pipe, and to the untrained eye, I think it'd be pretty hard to detect.

I feel like you are the first person in this thread to actually read and comprehend everything I've posted here.

Yeah, I didn't push the pedal to the floor, b/c I have a general idea of my trucks braking limits, just not as well as my other vehicles. When I felt the steering lighten I knew there was no more braking power which is when I started trying to evade.

Sorry for your loss, bro.
Just evaded one asshole on a BMW 5series brake checking me. We call that manouver "to put out one's ass" here in Russia, heh

>I feel like you are the first person in this thread to actually read and comprehend everything I've posted here.

We have drivers like that guy over here and a few roads with either "sudden merge or crash" or short notice LEFT turn offramp. The other thing is a tall truck in front of a sports car at a left turn light. They wait until the start of yellow before going. If you follow them, the red light camera doesn't get them, but it gets the sports car. Because the unitl doesn't count the first car in the yellow (known policy) it is that car that keeps on following (the low slung sports car) that gets caught. This trick works if the sports car tailgates the tall vehicle and thus the left turn light is not visible until it is too late. There's 2 intersections like that but all the others are high visibility with multiple left turn lights so people can't be suckered at those intersections.

1) 15 second eye lead time. Use stationary objects and count how long it takes to get to them to get a feel for how far down the road 15 seconds is. How come you didn't see the exit ahead of time? Gotta look where you're going.

2) 2 seconds of following distance is NOT ENOUGH. 3 seconds absolute minimum. I always aim for 5. The company I work for drew statistics from headway monitoring systems that we have on every unit in our fleet and they found that after two consecutive minutes of maintaining a following distance at or under 2 seconds, the likelihood of being involved in a preventable collision sky rockets.

I am baffled by those that will defend tailgating as it accomplishes absolutely nothing besides increasing your risk for having a collision in which you are 99% likely to be 100% at fault.

Sorry OP, but from your green text it sounds like you need to give yourself more following distance and keep an eye on the road. There's no way to really prove that someone "brake checked" you, it could simply be explained away as "I thought I saw something in the way". Fundamentally, defensive driving will prevent you from looking like an idiot that crashes into shit. Main principle being that the onus is on you, not the other drivers to pay attention and give yourself enough time to react in cases like this.

see

You were going highway speeds and you were following with a two second gap? Holy shit you deserved to get braked checked. It's supposed to be at least 6 seconds on a clear day.

>Maybe if I had better tires I would have been able to slow more

Now you're just making excuses. Im glad you made it out okay but you need to learn to drive.

>I always aim for 5.
Not OP, but no car on the freeway leaves 5 seconds of space between them and the next car. That is an incredibly huge gap of space.

Sorry bro. I drive every day in 35W and 820 and I understand how much brotrucks in lift kits do the exact same shit that you have experienced.

Because of that I usually leave an hour earlier than people, thank you flexi time.

>I give 2 second gap
>speed in right lane because left lane is too slow
>I didn't leave a gap in between me and the nissan in the left lane
>cut off my cats
Fucking-A I am glad you are off the road.

This is your fault. You were the bad driver.

>no reason to stop in the middle of the interstate
you keep putting it on the other driver as if it's his fault.

You followed a driver you had already observed driving erratically (excessive lane changing, tailgating you, driving like an asshat) and got burnt bad. I'm going to guess you began competing with him when he passed you. As in
>guy passes you
>"ugh, no one passes me!!"
>"gotta make sure he doesn't get away, I'll stick with him to let him know I can go quick in my truck too"
I see people play this shit all the time. I don't think they do so consciously, but if someone passes you, just let em speed off for a minute then build your speed back up so you don't have to deal with them

Depends on the road/congestion. 3 seconds is fairly doable anywhere, 5 seconds is ideal and is almost always possible outside of the cities. With more lanes and congestion a 5 second gap almost always disappears with drivers merging in front of you.

>3 seconds is fairly doable anywhere
At 60MPH, one second is 88 feet. So 3 seconds is 260 feet. 5 seconds is 440 feet. The freeway would have be almost empty around here for that kind of distance. Several cars would have merged into that gap and I'd have to slow down yet some more to try to open up that gap. If I kept on slowing down in order to open up a 440 foot gap to the car in front me at all times, pretty soon I'd be going an average speed of 40 to 45 MPH in order to come to some balance where there was always a 440 foot gap in front of me and the next car with everyone else going 60MPH except for the irritated traffic jam behind me honking horns like mad.

Then again, I've seen some "Super Safe" drivers like that on the freeway. They insist on having no less than a 3 second gap between them and the next car in front of them. To do that, they end up going slower than the speed limit because cars are always filling the gap in front of them.

The roads are congested here. There is no such thing as 2 second gap from early morning all the way to early evening. Some such gaps exist but that's only random chance due to someone else slowing down and blocking other cars as they change lanes.

>mfw want a single cab short bed 4x4 manual Colorado so fucking bad
>see this thread op lost a diamond
>cry manly tears

>Been thinking about hiring a PI, but I have no proof since my dash cam wasn't in my truck at the time.
Be careful about creating an audit trail. If something ever happens to that person, then that trail supports Motive which is one of the ingredients toward a conviction.

As for military medal plate holders, I've not yet seen one that wasn't an arrogant SOB (not that that isn't a bad thing).

You could have a chart based on reflex response time it takes for someone to merge into the gap for each speed limit. For a 60MPH freeway:

2 sec gap --> 58 MPH as your target speed
3 sec gap --> 56 MPH as your target speed

It's probably not possible to have a 4 second gap on a busy road. People would be so angry they would cut you off as they swerved in front of you and then they'd brake check you.

So by trying to have a 3 second or larger gap, you actually might decrease your safety due to road rage from the other drivers.

People around here like to cut folks off so if you leave enough gap for them to squeeze in, they will likely take it no matter what the speed.
Any more than 3 seconds is begging for someone to cut you off.

I'd rather not have someone like that around me. I let him pass me and we both wound up in the right lane. He sped off, then decided to slow down for some reason and the other 2 lanes were clogged so I'm behind him again.

I'm intrigued by your explaination, but not sure I understand. You think I should hire a PI?

4 seconds reaction time not two senpai.

did you died?

>implying every single person has the same reaction times

That's some fox news tier bullshit. How do people race then? All those cars travelling at high speeds inches from each other... How do they all not instantly die?

tldr: get better reaction times if you want to be driving like a dickhead.

Kek I have that exact same truck but extended cab how did the airbags safety features do? Seems like a death trap from the inside

>rears are drums
>2008
good job chebby

I tend to keep 3-4 seconds distance.
I don't have to keep braking all the time that way. Just ease off the throttle and let the car slow down when people ahead start braking

They all have the braking points memorised, dumbass. There is no point where a car in front brakes unexpectedly in a race. Everyone brakes at the pretty much the same spot, lap after lap.

They simply go as fast as they can. It's racing. Bit different to driving on the street as most people seem to understand.

>get better reactions times
Reaction time does not vary much at all between people unless you take age into account

shoulda floored it and rammed the fucking thing

>You think I should hire a PI?
While a PI has various subscriptions to databases, you could do something similar. If you have a subscription to some database that looks up license plates, you can enter in what you do know until a result appears for pearl white truck.

But you already know the make and model. So you should be able to get the official color name from looking up that car online. With that, you then have the year because most companies change the name and color subtly each year. If you still don't know, you know the headlight or tail light style and that often tells the year.

You should get online to see your local popular people type forums and then your state forums. Look for people talking about their cars. He might have bragged or someone mentioned they got dist medal license plates.... Then go look at military forums. Use a throwaway gmail email to sign up and not your normally used one. Etcetera.

Then you have to search facebook. Other social media including instagram for that car. I would have recommended image matching (but don't in this case) using the official manufacturer's stock image of that truck, but it will be worthless due to different angles, daytime, night, shadows, scenery, road surface, etc.

Once I realized that I'd be rolling I decided to lean over in case the cab crushed.
Air bag didn't even hit me, but I got a pretty large bruise on my left arm.

I mean the large bruise is from the seatbelt hitting my arm instead of my shoulder once I slipped down out of it.

that's a great idea
I've been trying to find a list of military plates with a few google searches with no luck, so I think I may ask someone at the DMV
Heck the medal looked like that DOT service badge, so he might even have some business at the DMV.
I'm probably not that lucky tho

Knowing who still means nothing. He is not going to pay you for damages because it seems what he did was pretty deliberate. So he is hostile.

And since there is no evidence to prove he is the specific one that did anything to you, all you can do is attack him, attack his house with fire, drive by at night with DOT3 brake fluid, etc. All such actions are negative karma.

And even if you have another eyewitness to identify the car if you found it and the full plates, he would simply say he was not the driver. You cannot sue the car. So at that point, he has you. You'd have to launch a separate suit to force him to divulge the name. He'd then do an "Oliver North" defense and say he forgot the name as he doesn't associate with that person any more.

presumably some guy was driving an mr2 and crashed it

that's one reason I'd like to talk to him personally

If he's a reasonable individual who just made a poor decision and regrets it, then I might be okay with that, and he may even offer to help me out if he can.

However if he turns out to be a total cunt >"Yeah, fuck you, I'd do it again asshole"
then I'll probably wish him the best and stop wasting my time.

It's kinda just for closure I guess. I'm more curious about why he pulled that maneuver. Whether or not it was malicious or not.

sounds like you made an error and that you're trying to pin it on someone else instead of feeling embarrassed because you just suck at driving bud

This is what dashcam are for.

What i took away from this

>OP was following the miltary fag in front
>didnt notice him braking
>proceeds to over corrent and over brake and crash
>blames said military fag
You where following too closely, blaming your tires or some bullshit isnt an excuse even if they where bald as fuck you should have been able to slow down safely

Fuck off, you should have just rear ended him like all the other retards.

>People around here
>Begging to get cut off

Welcome to literally any urban area around 5 pm. You can't get cut off if you have a safe following distance because there's a big enough gap for cars to easily squeeze in. Don't follow people so closely.