Ok Veeky Forums I wanna hear your stories about the cheapest car you have ever bought and the fate of the car

ok Veeky Forums I wanna hear your stories about the cheapest car you have ever bought and the fate of the car

I'll start, so a few years back me and my older brother wanted to learn standard, because we both had auto boxes. So my older brother knew the basic of manual from my mom. So summer rolls around, and me and him have been talking about buying a car for like $2k and just learning stick on it. All the cars we look at where either sold or whe parts. So one day one of brother colleagues tells him about a $100 Audi a90 she had on her farm just taking up space. The same day we go there and buy it, and spend like 3 hours figuring out the battery and how to get it out of it, get it out and car was fun, dripped oils vr6 motor, no clutch left, and front suspension collapsed. By the end of summer we have accomplished our goal of learning stick and we sold the car to pick and pull for $127

Here was the last photo of her before we sold it

This is what I want to do but car registration where I live is $800 per year.... And if you get pulled over you have to pay an $800 fine plus the registration

It was spring, year 2011. I was 18 with a fresh license and a burning need to get a car. Alas, I didn't really have money.

So by the powers of the internet I discovered an '82 Nissan Sunny being sold by some shady used car dealer. 250€, what a bargain.

It was rusty, ran on three cylinders, didn't really move when it was rainining and liked to overheat a little bit. But I used it to get to work that summer. Despite it's problems, it took me there and back every time.

But come autumn, the job ended and the old shitbox eventually met it's end. Took five minutes to start it and it was really fucking wobbly. So I scrapped it for 10€. Warm memories will always remain. May you run free in the nipmobile heaven, you magnificent piece of shit.

Sadly, no pictures were ever taken.

Can't remember the year, but a Geo Storm GSi I purchased for the princely sum of $300.

>5MT
>300k-ish miles

Bought it solely to drive home from my summer job, intended to kill it autocrossing or something since it seemed reasonably capable. Before I could start doing anything to it to prepare it for AutoX, my brother took it out to run some errands one day and fried the clutch racing an Integra on the streets.

He limped it home and I told him "fuck it, you broke it so find a buyer to offload it."

His mechanic friend bought it for $500, fixed the clutch, and not 500 miles later the engine threw a rod.

I'm so sad I never got to send it to its grave doing something fun.

I bought a 02 Dodge neon from me mum 10 years ago, she wanted 500 because she rent the timing belt.

I bought the car and put a new one on, and it's been daily driven ever since.

Just about to replace the control arms and ball joints and have it aligned, as well as new tires for the winter.

I think grand total, initial investment plus maintenance, the car costs about 9k

Ive got a short one on my first car then on my recent purchase

First car 1988 volvo Station wagon dad got it for some house work 200kmiles slow as shit but leather interior moon/sun roof heated seats i enjoyed it until the european meme hit me

One day radio stops working not like lost power like it errored out like it just had all the lights on and played nothing fine stock 88 radio nbd drive her around a while

Then the dash starts to go out every other time the cars on again nbd its a wagon no speeding issues

Then shit got real as im exit turning in a big intersection i loose power steering and it wont start hold up traffic for 2 or 3 changes just cranking the engine comes back on and runs like an 88 wagon

However this happens alot more often drive dads blazer around for a while while we figure out this issue shady mechanic gets $100 out of me on a fuel pump 80 on a relay or 2 no dice

Eventually pay $500 for a new dash (small town no one can help me with this issue) still not working at 16 that was alot of money to me and i had to part with her for scrap

Still really want an old wagon to dd ill see if i can scrape up a pic later

Guess it really wasnt that short haha

This time is just within the past month or two

My brother has been browsing clist for a hot minute looking for a sbitboox $500 car he can fuck around in he spots a ~$600 1994 miata greenish blue and tan top with a small badge on the side needs a cas sensor been sitting a while but $600 yata im interested start looking up alittle more thats an m edition son send him a message we can flip that

We get a hold of that guy and hes already got a seller "if you come tommorrow with 750 cash ill fuck the other guy over i didnt know what i had and ive had alot of responses" think its worth the risk and so we make the hour and a half drive there

As we arrive the guy texts us to meet him at the title department (just wait it gets better) as were confused in the title department this goofy lookin 6'8 guy is the owner and has us sign the title and transfer it, yes before we see the car yes before we give him money also says we paid 1600 for it for no reason... And has a 30k difference in miles than his original post....

Anyway while i and my brother are talking about how we could have got this guy really good by driving away and reporting it stolen we follow this guy driving some shit auto 90s tbird through the bigger city we eventually arrive at the yata in question one tire flat 3 calipers locked up and the interior just littered in trash we were beginning to regret our decisions alittle bit

After about an hour unfreezing the brakes and some pulling around we get this guy on the trailer

Cont...

This thing, got it for 500 with a few months of rego, didn't spend a single cent on it and thrashed on it learning manual and using as a inbetween car. Never broke down or anything, sold it to some guy for 400

So we get this thing home with all the uncertainty you can imagine im already feeling but fuck it well have a running driving miata for somewere around a grand you know staying possotive

Since we already know this guy doesnt know shit about cars we double check anything hes told us might be wrong back brake light is for some reason covered in tar and bulb taken out 3 calipers are bad rotors and brakes shot both back tires are bad warped from being slightly flat rear end wheel bearings bad cas sensor is the issue with it not turning on passenger side window wont move cosmetic hail damage and clear coat wear cluster cover is broken two dents we think we can pull out

Easy enough we handle the mechanical problems first get the cas in and drive her around on bad brakes and a rough rear end down shifting to slow donw and having a good time of course narrow down tires and after a full brake job essentially and bearing replacements we had to tackle just the cosmetic issues and put her up on the market(were in about 1400 -1500 ish in the car at this point) pops is proud of my brother and i cause he used to flip buy and sell shit in his prime (and despite his american pride enjoys the little car this being my second)

I go to show off our job and we head out to the bar for a little celebration drive her to a few errands on the way pops drives her to the first place before we stop at abother then the bar we leave her run in the driveway while we did what was supposed to be a quick meet and greet

Smoke starts to roll out of her from an unknown area just kinda around the car oh shit.... The radiator fans arent running fuck fuck fuck ive driven this thing less than 200 miles i think we can cool it down driving at low rpms get some wind through her no chance blew a head limp her home at 3 in the morning water dumping into cylinder 3 causing my engine to bog at low rpm

My brother and i decide we cant afford to pay a shop nfw cant make any money that way well do it $300-400 later we have a head and spend the next (last couple of weekends) trying to fix this girl pops guiding us along the way (his hands dont work so well anymore) eventually we get this girl back together while managing to break and replace a couple more things in the process fans werent working because thermostat had blown (previous to this situation)

Shes running and driving now with just a couple small issues we havent quite pinned down tempature guague working sometimes and an engine light that pops up randomly

Gay car or not i enjoy the suicidal slut and i havent quite decided if i want to sell her yet or not i really regret selling my last one and ive grown kinda attatched with all the problems weve been solving

750 initial investment
Im about 2200 in right now prolly be about 2500 before i sell it if i do

itt, suburban user trashes moms hand me down audi

I actualky really enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing man

Not much to say, just responding so you know people enjoyed your story and you didn't write all that for nothing.

Bought a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 100k miles from my parents for $1 because broke student, it gets me to work, class, and my gf surprisingly likes it. It's made it cross country with no issues and I can fit a grand piano in it. I'll drive it into the ground and I'm currently saving for an El Camino

I was 16 when I bought my $50 85 Sunny.

Needed a clutch, tires, exhaust work, and a lot of vacuum lines replaced.

When it was finally running right I was able to achieve 60mpg highway.

Even redlining every shift in the truck trails I managed high 30s.

Best memory
>Out with my friends and girlfriend in the trails
>17 with a bottle of beam and a bag of weed
>Friends mentioned I need a sunroof
>Pulled over, turned the idle up and tied my tow strap to the steering wheel
>We rode around on the car idling in first as I steered with the straps while drinking and smoking

I'll forever miss being a juvenile delinquent.
>pic semi related, not mine but same color / 4 doors

Dodge neons are shit. My dad bought one for my mom. It had a 30k mile warranty. 31k miles later the motor detonated. Before you ask, no the car was not abused. My dad has been a mechanic for 40+ years.

93 celica.
Bought it for 1,200 bucks
Was new to manual, so i had no way to know that the synchros on 2nd were on their way out.
Bought the car, got a crash course in driving stick in the heartland of Philadelphia.
Drove the car 300 miles home. 4 days later the synchros on second blow.
Spend 1k getting the transmission replaced. It, too, has bad synchros on second gear.
Said fuck it and sold the car after that

Vehicle in question

My parents bought a '95 new, first model year. Biggest piece of shit car that's ever been on the road. I was under the impression they'd fixed it up a bit subsequent to that but it IS a chrysler product.

Thanks m8s appreciate the response

My Echo.
Had it only for a month, this September. Only payed 1500.
It was dark, no signs on the hairpin, and my brights were down for a passing truck.
You deserved so much better.
I'm sorry.