Starting from scratch

Hey guys, quick question.

If you had to start from scratch at 30yo, what would you do? No experience in any field, financially clean and whatever. Blank slate at 30.

What would you do? Career? Goals?

Honestly I would get a teaching cert and half ass it until I was old enough to retire. Never doing such a bad job they could shit can me, just enough to get by. No sleeping with high schoolers or creep shot stuff either. They put people in jail for that. You won't get rich but if you manage your money you should be able to get by without a lot of worry.

get an apprenticeship in a good trade

Bump for interest

How
Can
You
Be
With
No
Skills

Fucking white male horse

Join the military.

It's pretty easy, drop out of University/College, have a dead-end job you hate and quit after a few years being a nervous wreck.
Spend a few years "finding yourself" aka living as a NEET doing basically nothing while parents support you and we are here at being almost 30 years old.
There will be soon an entire generation globally(!) like this.

Pick one and explain your choice.

Anime girl repairman.

The demand is high.

I have skills and experience, just stupid parents.

I'm not gonna write a huge ass blog post but basically my dad convinced me that a dead end labouring job out of high school was a great idea because I was earning 5 times what my mates at uni were earning.

Then my parents convinced me that buying second hand cars are dangerous, I need to spend a lot of money on a great newer car so it doesn't break down.

I'm not autistic btw, just sheltered. I used to be monsterously obese and dependant on others because it was easy.

Until a few years ago, when I snapped out of it and lost the weight and got into shape and began to become more independent.

Now I see my parents for who they really are; people who make horrific choices (dad owns his own company but doesn't pay his own superannuation, they buy only brand new cars that depreciate too fast), but I snapped out too late and the damage is done. Dead end job pays fuck all, car interest is a nightmare etc. I'm in the process of selling everything to break even and start over.

I had the idea of using my labouring skills to get a job as a construction labourer and working hard enough to be put on as a mature age apprentice carpenter or plumber.

Shit, turns out it ended up being blog post after all. I'm sorry.

Just trying to kickstart my life now that I have the right mentality, health and drive to do something about it.

Advancement through current job is impossible, the only way up is into management, and it's all such a huge clique nightmare. Shits like high school.

Once coal is deregulated and we come out of this slump,apply for the railroad as a train conductor, preferably a class I (bnsf, up, cp csx, etc) you only need a highschool diploma. you'll bare minimum make 50k a year class I are more like 70-100k a year. from there you can go into management as well with only a HS diploma. Also you dont pay into social security you pay into railroad retirement which at this time is about 45k a year after you have 30 yrs service and are over age 60.

You'll be on call and work shitty hours bt if you grind it out and gain seniority its a comfy life.

I pretty much did this.
I switched careers at 30. I quit my job and bought a very small janitorial company. When I was 31 I had paid it off. When I was 32 I made my first million dollars on paper.

I would do the exact same if I had it to do all over again. Except this time I wouldn't buy a company I'd just start one.

My goals would be $75k in gross sales for the first year, $250k gross for year 2 with all of it in assignable multi-year contracts. I would expect to retire from janitorial work by the beginning of year 2, and retire completely by the end of the second year.

my goal from then on would be to keep at least $1 million worth of work under contract at all times, and never work again. I would hope to travel a lot, spend my spare time hiking, fishing, and metal detecting. Maybe shitpost on Veeky Forums when I have trouble sleeping.

other than that I have no ideas, I'm not an ideas guy.

Can you even pass the praxis core exam fool?

Huh.

Where would I start, using this method? Just grab cleaning gear and some simple tools and cold call businesses and undercut their existing janitorial company?

pretty much, except I've found going around in person is better than cold calling. Also the professional thing to do is just hand out business cards or some such small item with your name and number on it. If they want a bid they'll ask.

care to part with some wisdom so other, younger folk won't fall into the same old trap?

Old guy here, find something you like to do, if you enjoy construction or trades become an apprentice and work towards being your own boss. One downside of trades is its hard on your body so by 40 you need to be a boss. any job you just do just for money will kill your soul and all your hopes and dreams

Get a job at a cleaning company, figure out the supplies you would need, how long shit takes to clean etc. Become an expert (shouldn't be too hard considering the competition ). Now you are ready to cold call small businesses.

Dress professionally and look like you are not a thief as that's why many people lose their contracts.

Poor life choices and not choosing a path to follow.

Sure.

1. Stay in shape. Not only do you feel better, you think clearer. This is solved by just jogging for around 5k a day and eating clean and healthy.

2. Don't ever, EVER finance a new car. Research reliable models and if you have to finance, keep it between $5k - $10k

3. Stay the fuck away from unskilled labour. It's for brain dead fools, drug addicts, criminals and the mentally challenged. Any job in this area that doesn't teach you a skill will have a very clique based management hierarchy. Also, the office girls who work 1/10th as hard as you will earn more.

4. Never live above your means. You need to be able to bank at least a quarter of your pay each week.

5. Stay the fuck away from video games. Here and there is fine, but if you're spending hours daily gaming, then you have too much free time and could be improving yourself in other areas.

There's more, I'll add later.

You've got me thinking, mate. For the first year were you yourself doing any of the cleaning or did you have people cleaning while you handled the books, etc?

Rob people. Ideally homes when people are at work / away.

Holy shit, this describes me except I have a degree and my own flat, live with my gf... it doesn't sound so bad but I feel like a total bum

>Dress professionally and look like you are not a thief as that's why many people lose their contracts
topkek

how you look doesn't matter. If you walk in with an insurance policy that covers theft of up to $5 million dollars they won't care if you're a thief or not.

Essentially nobody loses contracts over theft in commercial janitorial work. That's what insurance is for.

the rest of your advice is dead on. Except meeting in person is still way better than cold calling.

Bump.

Thread is only 24 replies so far but its already one of the best threads Ive read on /biz. Good stuff

The frustrating part is having to break even financially to start.

This stupid car, combined with credit card has me $20k over my head. It's manageable on the factory wage I get, but it delays me starting any sort of business or changing to a new job because of the security it provides.

I'm just venting frustration at this point, but realistically it's going to take a year or two at the least to wipe the debt and save enough to start a business.

Maybe I should claim my ID, make weekly "saving to start a business" thread where we can talk about ideas and ways to avoid failing a small start up.

Or watch it all burn around me, while the already sucssesful anons laugh quietly and shake their heads. People love watching misery after all.

it's a mistake to think you should save to start a business.

even with a brick and mortar store you shouldn't need more than a down payment and some good credit.

In most businesses you should have money coming in BEFORE you start the business, not the other way round.

it's also a mistake to think you have to pay off old debt before you can start saving money, but that's a whole different level of silly there.

I like your thinking...I am 32 and just starting a business. Do you have any more free advice?

>I'm not gonna write a huge ass blog post
>writes huge ass blog post

>Im in a bad spot
>I've been an adult for 12 years
>It's my parents fault

Good luck mate

Fuck off, at least he caught on and hes trying to better himself. Thats more than 90% of the NEETs on this website can say.

You need to reframe your idea of debt user. I was in a similar position recently, 70k in the hole, working in retail management, moved up to corporate on an ok wage (80k p/a in Aus) but have no degree because I've been doing it since HS. I'd built up my debt from loaning friends money and never getting it back, poor financial discipline and starting a business which failed on personal credit.

I blamed my friends, my parents, my job, but when I finally took ownership, and said this is my fault, this is my doing, and I don't want to feel like this again did things shift.

So I started to learn about money, did a budget, and in 4 months got my debt down to down to 60k, realized it would still take me like 18 months to get out of debt, so I started looking for opportunity. Found an opportunity with Trump, realized he was going to win, looked into shorting some ETF's but did the numbers and realized gambling would have a better tax free return.

I borrowed another 80k thanks to my glorious credit score, and 5 weeks later I cleared a quarter mil profit. But what if it didn't work? Bankruptcy & start over. You can look at debt like a prison to trap you or a license to take risks. The only way you'll get wealthy is by taking large, calculated risks and being right.

ah, the old "roulette martingale and bankruptcy till u get rich quick" routine.
i remember my first million.

>and being right.

don't borrow against your business, its job is to make money.

don't go into business to make less than an employee. If you're not making more money than you would with a regular job after a couple years, raise your price or quit.

save for the down times, you will need it.

hire people. As many as you can as fast as you can. Stop working asap

Advertise. A lot.

Know the law and follow it. Most of your competitors won't and most of them will go out of business because of that.

Remember to help people. If you're not helping people you don't have a business. If you help people your business practically grows itself.

>Remember to help people. If you're not helping people you don't have a business. If you help people your business practically grows itself.

>doing margin gambles like this

You're actually legitimately stupid.

Welding or machining, you can get a cert in like a month, and you make decent money with both.

This sounds good

this. if i can't get into medical school after several tries, this is where im heading. then turn around and retry.
literally joinging the military is just a big fuck you to the rest of the world, come back and your at a clean slate with some cash and motivation to do whatever the fuck you want. take care of your body and you can hit it till your 90s easy. age aint nothing but a thang babay

Also, Find your pathway to Jesus. There is no better antidote to life than my main man who chills upstairs.

woops almost forgot the Jesus picture.

30 yr old 'Unskilled' railway labourer here. I clear 80k aud a year, just started my own business. I've 50k in savings and no debt. Should i keep with the job or begin study? I'm anxious about leaving to better myself as it might result in me having to touch savings. Protips welcome

why the fuck would you get out of the railway business?

i know a guy who started working on the railway as soon as he got out of highschool. after 11 year in the game he was making $350k+ because he worked his ass off and knew how to talk to people

i mean for fucks sake, andrew carnegie started out in the fucking railway system you shit for brains.

At 20? Sure, great idea. At 30? Fuck no. Just imagine how you're going to feel when some dumb 24-year-old E-5 yells at you like you're a child over some trivial nonsense. Additionally, just imagine how much it's going to suck being socially stuck hanging around a bunch of immature 18-year-olds. Unless you plan on doing some elite shit (SEALs, SF etc) enlisting in the military past 25 or so is absolutely terrible.

20 rn

Advertising and make 10k 16-18
Wagecuck job at 20

Bring in 800 a month.

Thinking about advertising again and investing a paycheck. Besides that i say i want to get my realtors license but it hasnt happened. I also want to get back into college, hasnt happened. Almost fell for culk mlm aka amway. Can someone check me before i wreck me?

Marry a wealthy office cake and become house husband.

Bumping a good thread

only a pussy would care about being yelled at by someone younger than him. big woop, theres men being killed by child soldiers in africa right.

>imagine how its going to suck being socially stuck hanging around a bunch of immature 18 year olds.
being older, ex military, probably nicely built. bunch of "immature 18" year olds. wow, sounds absolutely horrible user. i wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy .....

theres a 39 year old resident at my hospital who was green beret before he went med school. probably one of the most satisfied persons I have ever met. got to go from killing to saving lives.

dont be a fucking pussy like the rest of this generation who is worried about things being "socially awkard" because if your not a fucking pussy, you won't even have a problem with that nonsensical bullshit.

PUSSY

oh yea, did i mention how much of a PUSSY you are.
PUSSY

bump

Bump

Is welding the best cert you can get currently? I see "hiring welders" signs everywhere