/domg/ - Dominions General

Actual game relevant things edition.

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJ2PCJChsjo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for aboleth traps

From other thread,
What is the best way to clears mass undead?

2nd for Ulm did nothing wrong

Earthquake.

Firestorm

Rain of Stone

Pythium is actually best against Ermor in the early game, since with Thaum 1 they can do communioned banishment. In a try-hard duel vs Ermor, that's what I'd pick. Awakesnake, cash scales, spam forts, communicants (usually bad, but good for this situation) and rain down level X banishment

Good old Ulm, always stuck playing the Third Reich.

I suppose.

Pythium, Sceleria and Marignon can all do it, just Pythium has their communion special units.

Early game against undead it's really just anyone who doesn't have good priests has trouble with them, otherwise, send priests.

Earthquake, Rain of Stones. A good stopgap (or alternative, if the undead are ethereal) is Solar Rays.

I'm truly scared

I'm surprised there are no battlefield wide spells for undead, since there are several that affect only living units.

>there are no battlefield wide spells for undead
undead mastery would like to have a world

But there are? Mainly from holy paths and/or offensive but still?

Sorry, I meant to damage undead. I mentioned mass control in the last thread.

solar brilliance

Also blinds fucking everyone.

>not massing blindfighters

but it also blinds all your units(?)

If you are that guy who picked a fight with me using a 1000+ stack of manikins last turn: Having very good fire resistance and not being an undead who will turned to dust under the grace of the sun will be your best friends.

lolwut?

Well, in addition to the communicants, Pythium's magepriests are also the cheapest. Marignon has the advantage of fire elementals (which are REALLY fuckin' nice, even at level 3) but that takes some gem prep and research time whereas ginormous banishment coms come online within just a few turns.

im excited

Someone please trade Fire gems with me, I have every other gem available

>Remember that any price offered by the market is, by definition, fair.
The utility of gems etc is objective in Dominions 4. It's defined by the game engine, not by our subjective preferences: there are only so many ways to conquer provinces, win games etc, and some methods are more effective at doing so than others.

Hey Admin, can you delete Lines 11088 to 11197 (inclusive) of Summod. There's a bug that's deleting all my sacreds as soon as they're recruited, which kind of sucks.

True, but other battlefield wide spells damage and kill your units.

>Stale turn when I was sure I submitted turn 7 early
>Lost a turn in the all important expansion phase which now puts me at a heavenly disadvantaged position against Utgard, who already has a throne
Enjoy fighting against nip AI I guess

Don't be a bitch user

A. No, that's literally impossible.
B. How on earth?

So, undead specific has
Darkness,
Wind of death
Bone Grinding
Rigor Mortis
Wailing Winds (conditionally since not all undead have 50 moral)

For anti-undead you have Solar brilliance which blinds everyone.

Seems legit.

ravenous swarm too

I heard that's total shit but I haven't tried it.

Bone Grinding hurts undead too, my dude. So does Wind of Death. There's also other things immune to Rigor Mortis and Darkness (or even benefit explicitly from Darkness).

me too, time to see if tartarians live up to the hype

A. It is possible, you just need to e-mail Llama to edit the version of the mod that the server uses
B. s u m m o d

Near as I can tell, it's deleting them due to the lack of Second Sun, or it's thinking that I'm pledge to a different cult.

I built my entire plan around the Sun Cult, so this kind of sucks.

I miss t. Pan. Why did you all have to be so mean to him?

I don't miss him.

t. t. Pan

forgot my name

wind of death specifically says living beings. It applies Decay which doesn't affect undead.

I've seen it kill longdead mang.

>He thinks Decay doesn't affect undead
Okay, I can see that you're new. That's fine. When you want to figure out what a spell does, your best bet is to read the spell's effects on the mod inspector, which you can find in the OP. Some of the effects are not explicitly clear from the spell description.

WoD in particular is actually quite good against certain kinds of massed undead, such as Longdead, LA Agartha's Iron Corpses, and Corpse Constructs because these undead have intentionally low MR.

>Decay which doesn't affect undead.
Incorrect! Decay can and does affect undead, it just tends to wear off before it actually kills them.

longdeads have an age of ~200 out of 500, so unless you're using against some sort of enemy that has super high magic resistance and hundreds of years left it's not going to happen

Oh, and discussing spell effects that you're trying to figure out is totally great and helpful, but you seem to be making an implication wrt balance here which is triggering to some terrible autists like me that care about arguing that sort of thing.

Decay lasts until it is resisted. Given their very low MR, undead are very unlikely to resist it. There is a long time period after the end of the battle where decay and similar effects continue to tick. You can sometimes see the little numbers popping up super fast after a battle is over. As a result of this, WoD and other decay effects can and will age undead to death. I encourage you to try out these and other spells in your game! You may be surprised to find that spells that you had previously discounted are, in fact, quite useful.

sperg detected

Just trying to help out our new friends. Dominions has a lot of opaque mechanics, so it's helpful to point people in the right direction for figuring out how things actually work.

Ok, good point, I'll update my list.

So, undead specific has
Darkness,
Bone Grinding
Rigor Mortis
Wailing Winds (conditionally since not all undead have 50 moral)
Wind of death (conditionally since some undead may age to death)

For anti-undead you have Solar brilliance which blinds everyone.

Should I play this game if I like Dwarf Fortress?

Again, Darkness is not undead-specific (there are other things with darkvision and even things with dark power), Bone Grinding hits undead (weaker v ethereal stuff which, again, isn't always undead, but great against massed chaff like longdead), and Rigor Mortis doesn't affect lifeless units like elementals and golems.

In other words, everything that you listed is conditionally not undead-only. Furthermore, a lot of spells that do hit living things too are particularly good against undead given their normally low HP and prot.

This game is a lot more complex than DF.
Especially considering DFs complexity is 80% shitty interface in all its forms.

But all the people that I know that like one like the other, so maybe? Sure.

While it may not be battlefield clearing Wither Bones is very effective, especially communioned.

graphics are too advanced compared to dwarf fortress you wouldn't enjoy the new modern look

This game has a much shallower learning curve than Dwarf Fortress and the graphics are several decades ahead. The only real things they have in common are dwarves and fortresses.

It is nothing like dwarf fortress mechanically but if you like the setting of DF then you will like the setting of Dominions.

>dwarves
I mean, I guess. CoE has an actual dwarf nation (which, conceptually, I actually quite like but in practice is shit like most everything in CoE), but that's also a rather different game

Maybe Drain dominion pushes its MR higher?

Yeah this game's dwarves are much less Tolkien style than standard fantasy fare, but I like it that way.

Pretenders also have high base MR so there's a high chance it just resists it

What is the longest hair you think you could split evenly in half?

But then there's also cloud of death, and you get into a completely different back and forth.

>Join a weeb game
>Play a weeb nation
>Go AI at the first inconvenience

Shamefur dispray.

If you want to list out spells that are generally better for undead than living folk in one column, feel free to fill the other side with spells that are generally better to deploy against massed undead than standard armies. Or you can realize that this whole argument is retarded and go on your way having learned a little about spell effects.

Are you serious dude? Turn 8 AI?
Did you at least lose your god or something? Because god damn

Also being in its own dominion boosts MR by a fair bit, depending on Dominion.

Not only that, it's a noob game, so a bunch of people probably lost an expansion army by now.

Please help I'm retarded.

I accidentally filtered my Research screen and I don't know how to turn it off. I don't even have any Earth Mages, why can I only see Earth Magic?

>Being afraid of utgard
literally worst age of frost giants

>noob game
Malakal would disagree with that

Haha nigga just smash that "e" again. And check that caps lock.

Well at least he isn't just LOLstaling!

85g nether darts casters, I guess? At least their research is better than EA's

I N N O V A T I V E
N
N
O
V
A
T
I
V
E

pfft, you just got INNOVATED on kiddo

This game, shallower? DF is easy as hell and doesn't ever really get too complex. Almost all of its difficulty is having a godawful archaic clunky interface that requires third party software to properly even use and parse without difficulty. Then ASCII being a relic from the 90s (ASCII is cool and all but damn) makes it even worse. Once you figure out the literal basics of the game, there really isn't much to it beyond discovering random autism like cats soaking up beer into their fur and then drinking it and dying of alcohol overdosing.

This game has way more going on.

God, I love the dwarves in CoE.

They're just beautiful ants. It's the best.

There's no need to be upset.

There's a version of ME that is.

fite me irl faget ill fukin drop u m8

Dwarf Fortress is a game for autists with too much time on their hand

This game is a multiplayer game for autists with too much time on their hands.

So in that respect you will like it.

FUCK

What's up vampy? Life got you downs syndrome?

Staled while I was moving house while I was sick ;_; very bad day ;_;

Shallower learning curve. You can pick up Dominions and begin playing right away.
Dwarf Fortress is really unintuitive at first. The UI is horrible, there are so many different mods and shit you need to work out before you can even get started, and even then you need to keep looking things up in a guide, you can't figure anything out as you go along. Even if the overall depth may be less, the curve is much steeper.

Hmm, I guess that's a fair way of looking at it. I was just putting more of "The rest of the game" into that learning curve.

I did need to read a quick guide on how to get started on DF to play it, but once I did that I basically figured everything out. That damn interface.
I didn't start reading guides for doms until after a bit, so that part was easy - but I haven't figured everything out at all.

What sort of pretender do you guys like for MA R'lyeh? Any advice would be appreciated!

Heavy scales awake expander or N9E2+

Should I go for erf snek, or void lord or kraken or? And, N9 and earth for what reason, specifically?

You need E2 for boots to put on your E random slave mages. That gets you crystal gear and golems. You can get the required E from an awake expander anyways, but it's not automatically included on an N build.

N9 is for making late game golem and tart stuff better.

Anyways, kraken, snek, and wyrm all expand fine and all naturally take the E you want. Water dragon works for expanding too, but you either miss out on E or pay a ton more for it. Assuming that you're playing with summod, the aquatic thing isn't as big of a liability as it is in vanilla. The exact of which one you want depends on what paths and scales you want. Void lord can expand too and can also become an SC midgame which is cool, but it comes with a notable scales hit since it's a more expensive chassis and has the same lack of E as the water dragon.

I'm not sure I'll be able to vie for Gift of Health with Pan in the game. Assuming that's the help with golem/tarts. And how can I expect to cast tartarian gate with at most a native D3 (Generally going to be D2) via Starspawn? And can't Starspawn get E2 to forge boots of earth anyways?

Can't the cap-only starspawn come with E2? I don't think you need to add it to your pretender.

I'm not playing with Summod. Sorry for not clarifying earlier. Yeah, the Void Lord looks nice, but having more scales just seems the safe choice. Speaking of scales... T3L3M3? Or Order3 Mis2?

It's the bless itself that you want. The capacity to fight for GoH is a bonus. R'lyeh has native ring access (well, with crystal coin) which makes boosting D easy and makes getting additional tart summoners possible without empowerment.

yes, but unlike S5 which you can wait and amass pearls for, you NEED access to crystal gear and golems. Rings are a useful bonus by comparison.

Oh. In that case, an amphibious pretender is important if you take an awake. You don't need A the way that EA r'lyeh does since your mages are at least amphibious, but you can't take a kraken or sea dragon

I prefer Order on account of the need for max cash, but I also don't like misf since you can safely dump temp scales and sloth.

>needing A for EA rlyeh
look at this non-sum1mod scrub

>>
>>>I'm not playing with Summod.

Here's a nation for you might like.

>have huge amount of research
>demilich
>cast burden of time
>cast darkness
>wish armageddon
>still lose
what

I don't give a shit about your little remark since your discussion is about MA rleyh, I'm simply putting out playing EA rlyeh without sum1mod is pretty dumb as a passing remark

Thanks for this boring piece of shit.

If you take, say, a big dumb snek or ghost kang, you can put up a coastal fort and start recruiting amphibian mages. It's not THAT unplayable.

Explain.

Please watch the Magic Pumpkin:
youtube.com/watch?v=AJ2PCJChsjo