Dashcam for insurance reasons

Hey Veeky Forums

My area has a lot of old people and assholes on the roads, I'm looking for a dashcam to keep me from getting into some serious legal shit if someone pulls out in front of me or steps out in front of me (happened an hour ago actually, nearly hit the fucker)

Also, if I get mugged (I live and drive through a shitty area with a very high crime rate) would I legally be safe if the mugger pushes a few daisies while he's at it? Assuming it's caught on camera of course.
What would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend a ton of money on one since I see them going from $30-$250 on amazon. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

dashcamtalk.com/
amazon.com/Cobra-Electronics-CDR-840-Drive/dp/B00K7ZN0UA
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15428027/lets-talk-dash-cams
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15523000/#q15523000
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dashcamtalk.com/

I got an A118C. Seems to work great for me.

Only problem I have is how it toggles power on/off. It's supposed to turn on when you start the car and turn off when you turn off the car. However for me it only toggles when I start the car, nothing happens when I turn the car off. So I just manually plug it in after I start the car and unplug it before I turn it off. I haven't seen anyone else with this issue so it might just be caused by my outlet or 90's BMW. Might work better if I hardwired it into the system but that takes more effort.

But otherwise, the quality is good and all the other settings work fine.

And don't get a suction cup dashcam. Someone WILL break your window and steal it eventually.

Thanks man I'll check out the cam.

mate i had the same problem in an '04 1 series, the electrics stay on for 5-10 mins after the engine is switched off.

Next time you leave the car, leave it plugged in and exit them lock the car and wait a while, it will go off on its own.

>plug it in

Go buy a hardwire kit for the fusebox you filthy peasant.

I picked out everyone's favorite china special camera. It works well enough. Decent picture quality and decent functionality.

Bimmers keep power on after you kill the power so you can charge your phone and shit. Just leave it on and it will time out

>And don't get a suction cup dashcam. Someone WILL break your window and steal it eventually.

If you are in my downtown area where many of the laziest or mentally ill homeless cluster around the aid agencies, then yeah. Even if you don't have anything in the car, the homeless mental ethics easily justifies why breaking your window is necessary. Too many bricks, rocks, hammers, or those window breaker punches around. They just break and look around for spare change which often exists because people need to feed parking meters. So having the parking meters indirectly increases the crime because the homeless know you will probably have coin containers in the car to feed meters.

If the mugger is leaving, and there is no dashcam of you shooting him even in the back, then your word is pretty much all that counts as self defense. If there is a dashcam of you shooting when he is leaving, the defense on behalf of BLM or his relatives will make you liable in a civil (not criminal) suit. The criminal suit is separate of course. SO it's possible the dashcam can convict the owner of wrongdoing as has been done so to some people.

>It's supposed to turn on when you start the car and turn off when you turn off the car.

In my new GM car, both the radio and aux power outlets stay on for up to 10 minutes after the engine is turned off. Opening the car door will shut them off however. You can verify that with your car. Some car models have a one minute timer after the car door is opened, so car models do vary.

>implying I would shoot someone in the back

No I'd use it when they're mugging me if I can reach it, not after. I just don't want the only view of the incident being from Grapedrankiesha's phone that mysteriously gets dropped when Jamal pulls on me.

G1W-C or A119C

I have the Eken H9.
€40 from Amazon.

Depends on the state.

It doesn't help if BLM defends the dead mugger. The court and prosecutor and politicians feel obligated to change the verdict to fit political needs.

I use one of these puppies, got it on sale for like $80, it shoots in full HD and accepted 32GB micro-sd that lasts a little over a week of recordings for me.
amazon.com/Cobra-Electronics-CDR-840-Drive/dp/B00K7ZN0UA

It's setup to come on as soon as I turn the car on like my fuzz buster and can be set to record over in a weekly loop or stop when full.

That looks great, I probably should have specified that I want a cam that can loop. Thanks man ill look into this one some more.

I owned the dual recording dashcam ($50)

Pros:
>Turns on when car turns on
>Turns off when car turns off
>Tracks gps
>Tracks speed
>Tracks bumps
>Saved video in compressed format to save space
>Can set password on SD card software

Cons
>Very wobbly
>Too many cables (x2) one for gps/power
>Looks flashy so could be target for thieves
>720p or more like 480p,
>can't see license plates unless zoomed

Currently own the AUTO-VOX A118-C

Much easier to hide, also I found there's no reason to see myself.

anyone have any recommendation for back cameras?

Ohhhhhhh

I see what this thread is about

ahahahaaaaa

good one

I got the xiaomi yi dashcam. Best $50 I've spent. Wide angle lens, crisp resolution and able to read other cars plates easily. Has Android and iPhone app to view videos and save them. I recommend it op

Ok?

Ill check it out, thanks m8.

That's an "issue" with your car, not your cam. Mine runs on a capacitor and can run on parking mode ie will start recording when it detects motion in front of it or something bumps the car when it's off, I have an older car though so I have to buy an aftermarket wiring kit so it will run if I turn the ignition off.

Other dashcam threads with their recommendations and links have been archived. For example:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15428027/lets-talk-dash-cams

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15523000/#q15523000

Each of them has various discussions. In one of them, you see comments about how the cheaper dashcams might be rebadged as expensive dashcams. Or how the visual quality is poor in some models. A chinese-made 1080p model might have poor video because it was actually an upscaled 720p model. Or the 720p cheapie model was actually a 480p upscaled. A lot of those super cheap 720p are actually 480p upscales. Some that see a real 720p have thought it was 1080p, but no, the real 720p let you see close up license plates without zooming and if you zoom you can read license plates that are farther in the distance.

Another factor is the lens. Some are simply cheap mass-production cast polycarbonate lens that don't even have a chromatic aberration coating. Just stamp them out like a normal plastic toy and slap them into the plastic body in front of a CCD.

If Costco or Sam's Club sold a good dual dashcam and rearcam system, I'd be tempted to get a club membership for that.

Just get a stinky chinky one from Ali or gearbest. Some oem are rebranded versions of those anyway.

Walmart carries one in the as seen on tv section
it was $20 and it's horrible

>anyone have any recommendation for back cameras?
The next time you go to Sam's Club or Costco, fill out the suggestion card. As for an auto accessory that has a both a back up camera and the front camera. Point out that back-up cameras will become legally required in the future, so members with cars that don't have one now will probably want one in the future.

>it's horrible
It's why I'd like a product more if it was sold at Sam's Club or Costco.

Unlike the retail stores with "As Seen On TV" sections, warehouse club stores like Costco or Sam's Club typically sell the more upscale products. Costco is the better of the two since it almost never has a mis-performing item whereas Sam's Club can sometimes have an item that belongs more in wal-mart than at Sam's.

It's still the same rebadged crap from China.