With winter approaching do you warm up your car and how many minutes do you wait?

with winter approaching do you warm up your car and how many minutes do you wait?

full synthetic v8 here, isn't 1-2 minutes plenty of warm up?

You want as much carbon build up as possible, so like 5 minutes.

>Isn't 1-2 minutes plenty of warm-up?

What are you warming up? What weight oil is in it? What temps does it reach when you hit the 2 minute mark? What temps are mechanically acceptable to that part? Should you get a block warmer?

I don't sit and let it warm but I barely use the throttle for first couple minutes of my drive

Turn car on, idle for as long as it takes to put seat belt on and get settled, then drive easy until the oil temp is up.

Depends on how cold it is outside. Usually hit start on the remote 20 minutes before heading out.

I don't care for my winter beater and I treat it poorly. Oddly enough it keeps going without a fit.

I don't get it. I treat my summer car nice and it's always acting up.
>2003 Mustang GT Summer daily
>2004 Mustang GT Winter daily

The 03 must be a lemon as it has been nothing but problems. Or the previous owner beat on it.

I let it idle for as long as it takes for me to put my seat belt on, manually roll my windows down, and put on music

I start it, go back inside, grab whatever I need and come out.

Basically just long enough for the vents to blow warm and the seats to warm up a bit because leather seats are fucking frigid in the winter.

on my toyota no waiting, fire it up and go for a rip

the big block in my truck needs the choke though and idles around 400rpm if its really cold

What volvo is that?

Late model XC70, maybe? I'm not good with Volvos past the mid 2000s.

Thanks.

At what temperature do you guys not warm your car up?

The only correct answer for cars after 2000 with after 2000s technology.

Get that oil temperature up to operating as fast as possible so it can do its job, without stressing the engine to the point of actually needing operating temperature oil. I drive a gear short, revving up to 1500-2000 RPM (out of 6000), and the car will warm up quickly. A minute or two after water temperature reaches operating temperature, the oil temperature should reach the same. My car has an oil-water heat exchanger though, so some cars might take longer.

Excessive idling is no bueno.

When its really cold I let it idle till the heat comes on while I sit indoors. There is nothing worse than trying to drive shivering.
>Leave the car running
>Lock the car
>Use second key to open the car

>drive chevy
>pull keys out of ignition while running
>what second key

Modern cars with fuel injection don't need to warm up. They only need time for the oil to circulate. Even during freezing winters, this is only like 30 seconds.

Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have their facts straight.

Depends how cold it is. When it's -40 you don't just jump in and drive when your oil is effectively molasses. Give it a minute or two when it's just that cold.

>do you warm up your car
It's a diesel, so yeah I need to warm it up. But that's build into the starting system.

>and how many minutes do you wait?
20-30 seconds? Time to put the heaters on full blast, radio and lights on and seatbelt on.

I start it and drive it almost immediately most of the time. It's still 55°F here. When it gets colder I let it idle for a while.

I warm up my car by driving it, as recommended in the owner's manual. I pay attention not to use more than 1/3 throttle or so till it warms up.

fuel injected cars just start driving, just don't take it over like 3k until the engine gets to operating temp.

I guess you could give it more time if it were truly freezing.

I drive an '01 convertible Eclipse and the seals, being a convertible, don't do a good enough job of keeping the cold air out so when it's really cold I got frost or ice on the outside AND inside of the windows.. I usually let it sit for 20 mins at least but prefer 25 - 30 mins because the heater sucks and the leather seats are unbearable at very low temps. It's worth it for the summertime cruising though.

When it's really cold I set the e-brake and put in D. It puts a touch of load on the engine and warms up the transmission slightly.

I drive a normal shitbox, but I've been contemplating installing an engine plug heater. They are

I've got a fuel injected '86 Ranger (2.9). I usually give it 15 seconds to warm up. That sound reasonable?

When starting up cold, the car likes to idle at 1K to 1.3k RPM. Then as the oil warms up, it drops to 400 RPM or so. I take that as the signal the engine is warmed up enough to be drivable. I don't know why it does that though.

i put the heat on and i start driving when its blowing warm

>with winter approaching do you warm up your car and how many minutes do you wait?

For winter, I switch to 0W20 full synthetic oil even though 5W20 is the normal oil. The owner's manual says 0W20 is usable with the car. Full synth oil starts to flow sooner than conventional dinosaur oil even if they are both rated 5W20 on a cold 30 degree fahrenheit day. I would not consider using conventional oil in winter.

Is it carburetted? If not, 30 seconds is more than enough

with FI you shouldn't even let it idle

Use a block heater or a Webasto.

I'll often start up my Hilux when I get back to work, as I'll spend a few minutes writing reports and changing out of the uniform. In summer the needle will move after a few minutes, while in winter it'll usually only have moved a tiny bit after 15 minutes with the idle-up button engaged

Not sure how it'll be with -30C/-22F

Normally no more than 1-2min warmup before i leave, although if its extremely cold i may start it and let it warm while i clear the windows from snow/ice so then 5-10min.

>Friend tells me to move his truck
>"where are the keys?"
>he tells me just to use mine

10 seconds and then gentle driving. It's worse for the engine to be cold for longer, putting a load on it warms it much faster.

>20 minutes