Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
I am a poorfag and I need some fuckin help.
I bought a 1999 Subaru Forester and it's needed some work.
It started overheating a few months after I bought it but this was solved when I got the coolant flushed and replaced.
Now it is overheating again but only intermittently.
At one point it will be operating fine and not even need to turn on the radiator, and at other times it will be pic related. And sometimes I'll even need to pull it over because it gets past the H.
I'd also like to add that the coolant reservoir was almost always very full (way past the full line) and just now in the past two weeks the level is all the way down to between low and full now.
This happened when I let the car sit with just the radiator running and not the engine.
Please tell me what's wrong with this fucking car Veeky Forums

Thermostat, to literally just thr radiator cap

Sorry I have no idea what you just tried to say.

Lolheadgaskets

Sad but true

It could be anything from the thermostat, to the radiator cap.

Not him but:

The thermostat might need changed or you just need to loosen the radiator cap a couple clicks (that's even if it's not a closed system)

checked

Do you think it could maybe be the water pump?

subaru headgaskets are like cardboard by now. seriously a 99 is very old. time to replace them

The car has almost 300,000km on it.
There is no way the headgaskets haven't been done at least once.

Turn on the heat and run that shit full blast to assist with engine heat dissipation. It'll draw heat from the coolant into the heater core and you get to stay toasty. Doesn't fix the issue, but it'll help you in a pinch.

My '99 legacy had its original gaskets until I changed them out for some Aluminum ones at around 275,000 Miles

My guess it's the thermostat, though

I do that often but thanks.

Now I was wondering why you would say it's the thermostat.
I notice a definite increase in temperature when I rev the engine so why would I need to replace the thermostat?

Dear lord do you know nothing of cars? A thermostat is a valve which diverts coolant to the radiator. If it is stuck your car will over heat. Replace the thermostat, its cheap and a 10 minute job. If that doesn't fix your problem you're screwed.

thermostat, noun.
>a device that automatically regulates temperature, or that activates a device when the temperature reaches a certain point.

Replace this thing.

>This happened when I let the car sit with just the radiator running and not the engine.
wut

Also make sure the fan behind your radiator is running.

Bye bye headgasket. Goona cost you $1500+ to fix man.

Do a compression test and report back.

I did mine myself for about $650

there's leaves blocking your fans

Are your headgaskets made out of solid gold?
or do you have a radial engine?

ITS TOTALLY FUCKED M8, RIGHT ERE'

The gaskets themselves were about $80 for both, but I also replaced a lot of other stuff at the same time since they had to come off to do it anyway or were easy since the engine was out.

>radiator hoses
>thermostat housing heater hose
>ngk double platinum spark plugs and wires
>valve cover gaskets
>intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
>cam seals
>power steering pump rebuild kit and 1qt dexron iii
>a fuckton of brake cleaner
>1 gal. coolant
>rtv
>$120 charge for milling the heads
>5qt castrol gtx high mileage and Wix XP filter

All that and probably more that I'm forgetting since it was a while ago, and some cash I tossed my uncle's way for helping me. Shit adds up when you do an engine out service. Oh, it needs that, that's broken, shit this part broke taking it off, etc.

I think if OP doesn't know what a thermostat is, he probably should go to a mechanic.

Lift the front end and run the engine until its hot with the radiator cap off. Bubbles should come out. Fill the radiator. If that doesn't work change the thermostat. Look up how to do it it's easy. If that doesn't work get the cooling system conditioner from the subaru dealership it helps with small internal headgasket leaks.