Buying a gs400

Any opinions/experiences with the Lexus gs400? Seems very reliable, looks nice imo, and has decent power. Only flaw is fuel economy but I'm not really worried about mpg.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3pC1AOGQdRE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I own a GS400, the 1UZ motor is solid and it drives real nice. It feels more pigfat than other cars I drove but then again I also drive a miata and a vette but overall my only complaint is like you said the fuel economy.

If you don't care about mpg or the upkeep of a V8, you'll fucking love it.

Front lower ball joints
The leaking ps pump onto the alternator (most have been remedied by now)
Front tie rods like to wear out
Certain bushing (caster arm no2 ) goes to shit

Other than that theyre phenomonal cars. They dont have major reliability issues. If you fix all of the above they dont go bad again.

You forgot

ABS Pump starts chirping then takes a shit, $500-1000 because its integrated with traction control/VSC and master cylinder (Brake + VSC + VSC Off lights)

Transmission solenoids, mine had one go bad and got a CEL because of it. A bitch to do because its hard to source those solenoids.

Other than that nice cars, but not meant to be a sports car. Buy a E39 BMW if you want a sportier car, buy a Lexus LS/Mercedes W210 E-Class if you want something comfortable. Steering doesn't feel good on them (underboosted/heavy artificially to make up for lack of feel) and they feel like big pigfat open diff cars.

I'd be more for them if I had the Aristo with the 2JZGTE than the GS400 with the 1UZ.

If you can deal with RHD you should go for the JDM version since it has the 2JZ-GTE

>W210 E-Class
Literally avoid like cancer. E-Class was good until W124, and whether W212 and onwards are good only time will tell. But W210 and W211 are just awful.

Would it make a difference whether you're getting replacement turbo parts for the 2JZ-GTE or getting a turbo setup in the first place for the 2JZ-GE to make more power?

I thought aside from rusting out like a 1970s Honda, the W210s were solid with no major issues?

They definitely seem like a nicer place to be in than the Lexus GS, IMO.

A boosted gs300 is a vastly inferior car to an aristo 2jzgte

And in what way is that, apart from literally being the same car but with the steering wheel on the other side and an aftermarket turbo instead of a factory turbo?

the part where the gs300 has toothpick-sized rods, open diff, and a fragile 5 speed auto

2JZ-GE != 2JZ-GTE - Turbo

this, a 2jzgte is a far better engine than a 2jzge with a turbo slapped on it. if you can into aristos in your country GET ONE. even an aristo swapped gs300 is a compromise.

the aristo has a tough as nails four speed auto

the gs300 has a bullshit 5 speed transmission has has trouble shifting when you add power to the engine

they are two different engines

2jz gte has stronger pistons, rods and a forged crank with oil squirters for the pistons too.

the 2jzge has thinner rods, weaker pistons, and the same forged crank. no oil squirters for the pistons, and something like a 10.5:1 compression ratio, not as well suited for adding on a turbo

Wait, it has an A650e. How is the A430e? The IS300 has it, and AMC/Chrysler package them as the AW-4. I'm pretty sure if you can manage to get an AW4 behind one of these you could manual swap a built AX-15.

no the is300 has an a650e 5 speed, just like the gs300

the aristo tt uses an a340e 4 speed, which is better behaved and cheaper to get built

>look into ads
>only Aristo for sale in the entire country right now is double the price of any GS
I ain't paying 16k Euros for an 18 years old Toyota with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Then buy the inferior car with the inferior engine.

youtube.com/watch?v=3pC1AOGQdRE

I'm not buying one anytime soon, Lexus insurance is retardedly high and they're a bit on the thirsty side.

Okay, I guess the AW-4 swap is a good idea. The transmissions can be had EXTREMELY cheaply and all you need is a bellhousing to swap one out of a jeep into a toyota.

Aristo is fuel thirsty to the point where you might as well drive a V8. I live in Europe and while it would be a great car there's no way I could afford the gasoline. Would have to convert it to either E85 or CNG to justify it as a daily.

W211's after they got rid of the retard brake system (seriously who thought that was a good idea?) are just fine. I would avoid the W210's like the plague.

I have actually looked into these cars this week and was crunching the numbers a few days ago, and a quality LPG conversion would take four or five years just to break even with how little I drive. I doubt I'd even have the car this long.

W210's are sketchy and early W211's are as well. W211's from 2006 and later are just fine as they got rid of sensotronic brakes. Research the individual models for details. I drive a 2009 E320 and love the diesel glory. Great mileage as well.

Is that a vvti sc400? If so, do they handle decent, and also hows the power?

Wow talk about a reality check. Not really trying to spend a grand on repairs. How often does the abs pump go bad?

It rarely goes out and there are gobs of used abs pumps for nearly 2-300 dollars

>Not trying to spend a grand on repairs

Then don't buy a car that cost the 2016 equivalent of $60,000 dolllars? Look for a 02-03 Maxima 6 spd or a Acura RL if that's the case. Just because its a Lexus doesn't mean its a used Camry either. Even in Japan they weren't cheap cars new. MPGs will suck on it too, and its more cruiser than actual sports sedan. I'd personally rather get a newer Q45 or a LS430.

is right, they rarely go out. But you'll be sorry when they do.

It is. They handle remarkably well for how big they are. My first 400 had coilovers and it handled like a dream. I think stock the 98 and up cars make like 290HP, but my current one is supercharged and does about 370.