Car won't pass emissions HELP

I would really appreciate serious advice here but I received a car for free. Its a S14 KA24 DE T. Yes it has a turbo on it. There is just one issue, when I had the title transferred in my name he told me that the car would not pass emissions as it has no cat, no egr, external dump, and a really rich tune.

Do any of you know any tricks I could do to get an emissions paper? I live in one of the Colorado counties that requires emissions testing for registration.

I've heard about people paying to pass but I don't know how to approach that. I don't want to attract any unnecessary attention to the car.5

PIC is just a zenki s14 like mine

>Go to the sketchiest mexican shop you can find
>Slip the emissions testers a $20

The problem is that Colorado has so many white people. Pueblo has all the Mexicans and they don't have to do emissions over there.

Have you tried not being a scumbag?
>240sx
>broken
Imagine that

>my car has literally no emissions regulating equipment, how do I pass the emissions test?

>he told me that the car would not pass emissions as it has no cat, no egr, external dump, and a really rich tune.

You just answered your own question m80.

What do you expect from a scumbag?

just be open about it. go up to one of the mechanics and say hey my car wont pass an emissions test, could you pass it for $100.

i think $100 is worth it, and any less would be hassle and waste of time. the worst that would happen is they say "get out of here"

Get a PO box in the nearest county that doesn't require emissions, and register the car to that.

buy a stock engine with all the emissions shit and a stock exhaust with a cat. Swap it all into car to pass Smog.
Swap out new engine and everything for tuned turbo engine.
Repeat every 2 years.

Guy i know does this every time he has to get his car Smogged.

A 240 that's a nigger rigged piece of shit?! Wow!

where i live, to get a car registered and titled you have to show proof of residence at the address you'll have the certificate of title sent to. thus they won't do it with a po box

Don't even do that. Call them on a trac phone or something.

Let me get this straight. Some guy out there is doing an entire exhaust and engine swap to pass an emissions test, so he can drive... what, exactly? That is the dumbest goddamn thing I've heard.

>Call them on a trac phone or something.
nope no mechanic anywhere ever is going to say yes to an anonymous person on the phone.

Guy i know owns an 80s Corolla with a built 4age turbo engine, straight piped.
He rolls with that set up until a month prior to Smog test then swaps it all out with a stock engine/trans combo and connects all the vacuum tubes on the carb and throws on the stock exhaust with the 2 cats on it.

Do that you idiot

>80s Corolla
Where the fuck do you live where a 30-year-old car isn't grandfathered in for emissions?

1. Register in Colorado springs or any county without emissions

Or

2. Take to emissions, let them fail it, put required min towards fixing ($750?), take it back to emissions, fail and get exemption

Or

3. Trade it as non running project

Or

4. Go after the guy for emissions repairs trashing the line that he sold it to you and therefore is responsible for paying to get it passible (I seriously wonder how this works)

Or

5. Take it to a dealer and wring as much trade value as you can

And/Or

6. Get your temporary plates, don't ever get emissions tested dispose of it before plates expire

t. Franktown fåm

Not how emissions works in co

Just retard it but you prob wont pass still. Need to get NOx down by replacing at least some of emissions. I tried retarding mine and it got close but my systems not as healthy as it used to be with 210k. Needed to replace some of the EGR system the previous owner took off. Or can get classic insurance alternatively at least in my state that means you wont have to pass emissions.

Most likely California. Grandfather laws were written out with the governator.

Open an LLC for $25. Open a PO box in the Companies name, register the car to the company at the PO box.

Or you know, just go the a 3rd party registration place, they're a lot more lax than gov't ran DOL/DMV places

I think enthusiasts should receive permits that exempt them from emissions

They're regulations meant to apply to masses of cars and really only make sense when applied to masses of cars (or else the emissions reductions are practically nil). A few hundred won't hurt.

This is pretty much why CARB should shove it and states should develop their own standards and retrofit and detune their own cars if they have higher standards than automakers.

A rich tune is mostly a shit tune. You don't get extra power running rich. Unfuck your car and do things right.

Hey, while we're all here, how exactly does one get rid of the cat and not trip the CEL? I'd like some better mileage out of my Grand Marquis.

What does this have to do with OP being a scumbag?

tldr for boot licking morons:
he's not a scumbag
the people who support unamerican emissions regulations are scumbags

>>>/europe/
>>>/othersideofthewall/

CARB has insanely strict emission standards because almost all of California is a pollution trap. The wind won't carry away smog so even a few hundred gross polluters can cause severe changes to local air quality.

If you don't like the laws in California, move. No one is making you stay.

It's not even that hard to improve performance with a catalytic converter. It's really not other people's problem that you're too poor to mod your car the right way.

Yeah because China tier levels of smog is American right? Gasoline engines with catalytic converters are the reason why America has high average air quality compared to most countries that use TDI engines en masse.

It's a nice idea. However:

Consider that getting rid of all that shit actually nets a pretty decent return with mpgs, power and response. Add to that, it's not too hard to do the conversion. Everyone would be an "enthusiast" overnight.

Anything newer than 1975 in commiefornia has to pass emissions.

Oh no. You seem to be a newfag here.
Hes a scumbag for owning a nissan.
Who gives a shit about his emissions?

>A minority of cars do not give a fuck
>suddenly china

You know there are states where it's "not illegal" (not enforced) to tear the cat out of vehicles of a certain age and motorcycles, right?

There's no appreciable effect because so few people do it, even though there is nothing stopping them.

>inb4 but it's not fair
>inb4 men can't have steak because babies can neither chew nor hold back from making a terrible mess

>the forced nissan SCUM meme
How long are you gonna be banned for this time?

>assmad nissan scumbag

Who said I own a nissan?

Like wow you're so good at trolling. There's no way you're an idiot child at all.

>california aids spreading with californians fleeing their shithole
They're like rats, kill them before the first few can make a nest.

Not enforced doesn't mean it's legal. Make a fuss and I guarantee you a DA looking for an easy win will make an example of you.

And California is a unique state because the geography makes SoCal the asshole where all of the pollution accumulates. The pollution is trapped most of the time, 74 percent of the year there is an inversion layer that literally traps air in the region and the ocean winds blow it in from other parts of California as well. Colorado has similarly strict laws for a reason.

Of course if you're in a place like Montana it doesn't really matter when the wind will carry it all away, but in some places it doesn't take much to noticeably affect pollution.

Alright I got someone I can use to register my car in springs, but can you tell me how the process would work?

This

Op doesn't know fuck about cars too

As someone with a swapped S14 in CO, I think I am qualified to comment.

1) Let's start with the obvious. If the seller was in CO, he was required to provide you current emissions when the sale was made. You should have enforced this. Too lat now, however.

2) Now let's solve your problems one by one:
No cat - find someone to loan you a STOCK S13 cat. Hopefully your exhaust has the test pipe section where you can simply bolt this in. They do visually check for this at the emissions place.
No EGR - the guys at emissions won't typically give you grief about EGR removal. It's not listed as a visual inspection item on my 1995 S14 and I've never gotten questioned about it. Don't worry about this one as much.
External dump - take it to an exhaust shop and have this routed back to your exhaust. Period.
Rich tune - A couple options here. Obviously, get it re-tuned to run properly. I realize you are probably not going to do this, so here are some other options.. You can try adding E85 to lean out the whole fuel curve. You'll have to play with ratios to get it just right. If you have a boost controller, turn it down to lowest boost, or bypass it to run wastegate pressure only. If you want to get extreme, you can rig your wastegate to stay open all times so it doesn't build boost at all. Most likely, your car runs very rich only in boost, and runs fine on closed loop cruising speeds. If NOX is still high with all the other tricks, retard your timing a bit. If HC and CO are still high, keep turning the fuel down.
3 - They check gas cap integrity, so just in case, buy a new one at auto zone or something and put it on before you go. They cost under $10 and the last thing you want is to pass everything else and fail the gas cap test.
4 - Follow instructions, don't explain anything to anyone, "I bought the car this way" if they ask, etc. etc. Don't make a scene and just act normal.

Also, you can't "pay to pass". That used to work 10 years ago. Good luck with that these days...

lol @ my numbering formatting above. Didn't proof-read the long post.

Assmad nissan scumbags

Go buy a universal cat it will pass. They are about a $100 take it off after you pass.

Take it to a shop.......GET IT FIXED. fucking poor scum. If you can't afford the car, don't fucking buy it. I deal with this all the time at my shop, we CONSTANTLY have to fix shitty 240s to pass emissions. Ughh poor people are so fucking dumb.

Only fags go to shops for emissions. This is literally a 1hr job. It will pass if he installs a cat.

I don't drive a Nissan, and no one's "mad." Your memes are pathetic even by Veeky Forums's standards.

wait you're in colorado, does it pass emissions?

the visual isn't an issue but will it pass the sniffer or are you running way to rich to even pass the sniff test?

when i moved here, they didn't even look under the car or pop the hood, its all sniff test and you're good to go

Not with an external dump and running "very rich" like he says. Your opinion is void.

>rich tune
AKA tuned like shit off the shelf
>external dump
Garbage "mod" on a street car
I guarantee they find 30 problems at a shop with that hack shit turbo job

It will ruin the cat eventually but he only needs it to work for one day. The external dump most likely won't be detected in the Jefferson, denver, or boulder county test. He only needs the cel to stay off and the nox and hydrocarbons to be below the limit which is actually fairly high.

>he keeps replying
Ass mad nissan cum rag

Original.

CEL is irrelevant in the counties you listed for the years an S14 was produced.

Your memes are autism tier. No one thinks you are funny. Let people like what they like. Wouldn't be surprised if you ride a bus.

Well fuck me. I missed that cutoff by a year on my car.

Wait, you can get an excemption from emissions testing after failing to fix the issue for $750? What kinda fucking logic is that? That's like saying "alright, you can have your degree even after failing because you tried really hard".

My friend has been trying to do this loophole with his rx7 for years. You need a real mechanic (not sure what the qualifications are here) to write that the price of emissions equipment to pass exceeds the $750 amount. I imagine anyone who is actually a certified mechanic doesn't have time for your bullshit and won't sign for something like this. Needless to say, the rx7 is still not street legal.

Why doesn't he just put a cat on it and pass it. Way less trouble.

Thanks
He is STILL replying
>assmad nissan poopbag

No different person here. I also think you are a fag.

Multiple assmad nissan fartbags in here!!!

Get an EGR valve from RockAuto for $49-.

>Go after the guy for emissions repairs trashing the line that he sold it to you
>going after a guy who gave you a free car
Faggot

Part it and pocket the cash.

It's not about nissan. I don't have one. You just derail threads to be a fag and it's annoying.

Just trying to inform the masses to not buy shitty cars
Stay assmad scumbag

Also who says assmad? Are you like 10 and just learned about swearing?

STILL replying
Assmad as fuck scumbag

I'm going to keep feeding you (you)s until you get tired.

Ok

Fucking dumbass americans.
Put a cat on it and then take it out after emision test.

So who else is assmad besides nissan owners?

It's not about extra power; it's safer for the engine, you stupid twat. Lean tunes are not good

If you're going even richer than what stock fuel map yields it's not a very good map.

Well... ford fags get pretty mad. So do GM fags.

well you allready listed your issues.

Infact the previous owner was nice enough to tell you what needs to be fixed.

You just have to install a cat, egr, external dump and re tune it to run leaner.

Then you can pass emissions.

You don't need to de-cat and de-emission your 90hp civic... Maybe people that actually deserve it, I can see.

why do these retards insist on spending inordinate amounts of money on 25+ year old engines.

For the same money you could buy a modern v6 with all the emissions gear and equal if not more hp