What trim is my miata?
miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

More info including buying guide:
miata.net/garage/

last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/Z3RbT
louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5869648182.html
amazon.com/dp/B01IAXDSJ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TVWWRMH29K3G&coliid=IV98ISE30KG4A&psc=1
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5863320867.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5841708484.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5865672692.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5875637369.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5866406198.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

K&N Typhoon CAI...and in the process of murdering out most parts of car...will NOT do headlights/taillights!!!

my bad...sorry...I don't belong here...saw roadster and just got impulsive!!!

just wanted to make the thread anonymously.

now that thats over with I have a question.

so as some of you know I recently picked up a pretty much track ready 1.8 swapped '91 miata that i don't plan on using in the winter.

that being said Im looking for another car to beat on for the winter and Ive been looking for Subaru foresters and outbacks but so far I can't find anything or nobody is answering their emails.

that being said I just found 1990 Miata in my town and was wondering if it would make a decent winter beater if I threw blizzaks on it?

Seller is asking $2500. (i think I could get him under $2k)
280k miles. has been in an accident where a tractor trailer drove up against it slightly and ruined the passenger side. So it was fixed and repainted and paid for the company of the tractor trailer.

fuel pump and timing belt were replaced about 2 years ago.

car has been sitting for 6months but i went to test drive it today and felt healthy.

pic related/more pics in link below

imgur.com/a/Z3RbT

so should I pull the trigger? if i dont buy it, im more than willing to give this car off to someone here thats nearby or a friend of mine.

a lil tail light damage due to his wife hitting her bike with it.

heat works/ac works radio works and has power steering which is odd to me, this was the first time ive driven a stock miata.

feels like a wet noodle compared to mine.

First for miatas are gay

I'm thinking about getting eBay side skirts and a rear lip to go with my eBay front lip.

My roof is leaking inconsistent on 90' miat.
After long rains I notice that left side of driver seat is wet. The thing is that I can't figure out what is leaking or where. Roof is dry inside and door handle, or inner door side is dry as well. The only spot water could get inside from is seal above side window because I noticed that water gets in there, but I don't see how water can get from there on my seat without getting across door.

Is there some insider info on that issue?

someone in Kentucky or close by purchase this semen demon

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5869648182.html

>that plasti dipping some steelies white feel
this is a bitch to get smooth in cold weather, I'll have to live with some texture to it

only cucks use steelies

Looks great. How are the seat speakers?

I've seen this one before...

Friiiieeeeeennnnddd?

I'm contemplating on either spending 8 grand for a happy meal,FM II and FM 3" exhaust, or just selling my miata for 5 grand and buying another miata that is also equally boosted with a roll cage and coilovers.

Anyone has experience with buying someone else's turbo projects?

roll bar* not roll cage
im sorry for my stupidity

hahahahahaha you wear glasses fuckin nerd i hope you know no one will ever take you seriously

what should i do for HID conversion on my 2003?

DDM tuning is tossed around a lot but i hear their customer service is super shit

during my trip to north carolina/tennessee

???...does this mean you like me???...you really like me???

I've done DDM kit for a 2012 Camry still running strong, and recently on a 2007 Lexus ES, running strong as well.

The newer ballasts are fucking slim and sexy and much improved over the cheap shit from a couple years ago.

non edited photo from cameroid f0ne

well i took the plunge and got this kit specifically because of prime shipping

amazon.com/dp/B01IAXDSJ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TVWWRMH29K3G&coliid=IV98ISE30KG4A&psc=1

the 4300k H11 bulb kit. I was going to go for 9006 bulb size since that's stock for the miata but i don't think it actually matters in terms of the bulb fitting into the projector housing, or whether the connectors are plug and play

When do you shift?

Didn't fit properly in an unmodified NA/NB

What do you guys use for license plate holders for your NA? I have an NA6 (1.6), would getting a cold air intake and a better exhaust be beneficial in anyway besides sound? If just that then I won't spend too much, I wasn't sure if there would be any performance improvements. Car is stock

3 or 3.5k if the engine is cold or I'm short shifting. 6-7k if I'm feeling sassy. This is for an NA6.

mr2 is cool 2 but i just cant get over those headlights
are there any aftermarket ones that look better?

What are the consequences of shifting low?

I'm not sure, other than staying out of the power band. The car definitely loses acceleration when you shift early but that's fine for driving in steady traffic.

I wouldn't. If your goal is something to drive in the winter there are better choices. They're not terrible in the snow but if you get a bad storm you're not going anywhere with 1 wheel drive and so little ground clearance.

I bought a well done MSM with the Big Enchilada and a bunch of other parts. I was nervous about it because it had some minor tuning issues and the guy wasnt running the Hydra EMS or big injectors. I took it in to Flyin Miata and they got it all sorted out and running good for about $600. Needs to be dyno tuned at this point to eak out some mmore power but it's pretty good as is.

The car was otherwise immaculate and the owner was not poor or young so I went for it. No regrets. Some of the turbo miatas are real botch jobs that I would stay away from though.

I don't run a front plate even though it's illegal here.
The Randall cowl intake is supposed to be the best for performance. That with a cat-back exhaust might get you 8hp. Beyond that hp gains are not easy or cheap.

how to not run a front plate
keep your front plate in your glove box, if you get pulled over
>oh sorry officer i bumped someone and it fell off i got a new bracket coming from amazon

Nope, there are some kit-car looking ones but they make the whole thing look like a toy.

I replaced the drivers side handbrake cable since it was broken and wasn't doing its job, and now the passenger side cable isn't doing anything. It stopped working as I was replacing the drivers side cable. Fuckin

The right front spring was snapped and it killed the strut so I'm replacing those too, getting performance struts for both the front tires and neat red springs for it. Once spring (kek) comes I'm gonna probably repaint the car, maybe either keep it white or do a blue. Not sure, but the paint is bad in some spots so I really want to redo it. It also needs new tires, and some interior fixing, and dent removal. Not perfect yet but dam I love it

Are you blocking traffic?

Stance nation

My 91 BRG has been on and off stands for the better part of a month. I've been fighting with a reman brake caliper that won't stop leaking. After replacing all the fittings and gaskets, I finally returned it as defective after noticing that the piston was scratched to hell.

Been driving my roommate's S-10 in the meantime... that thing is awful. The clutch weighs a ton, the accelerator is positioned way too far back, and the gearbox feels like it's full of mud.

believe it or not...nope...road was close off and I am actually standing right in front of the cones...if you look carefully...you can see an NYPD squad car which I even asked for permission and they were totally cool with it...I try to get into the city once a year to get a few decent shots...wish I could do better though!!!

Just put new rotors and pads on it all the way around. Plati dip stripes. And I found some forum that showed me how to make a Randall style cowl intake out of pvc pipe for cheap.

>plasti dip stripes
eughhhh, sorry dude but it doesnt look that good

honestly i would have gone for vinyl, much stronger color and patches the paint's sheen better

this car would look so much better without the stripes but hey if you like it.

Sure I'm even on the fence about it myself. Just something different. And it was only like 10$ to do. Before I even painted my hood it looked like dirt. See before and after

After. This was only some 1000 grit wet sanding and a can of grey primer and black spray paint. Turned out good only cost me about $13 or so. Maybe I'll go back to just the no stripes.

go back to no stripes lad

subtle stripes can be neat tho

that's a pretty dang good deal, I saw a miata up in colorado when I needed a car with the clutch replaced recently and lsd for like 1700 but decided not to get it since I need something with 4x4 for snow.

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5863320867.html

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5841708484.html

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5865672692.html

this one

Atm, I could buy two miatas for 1500 OBO. One is gtg, the other needs a clutch. Is that a good deal? Is there money to be made if I need to sell?

Fix your hood, it's bent to shit

I got a DDM kit for my 2014 Mazda3. Came from China with Chinese instructions and was opened by customs. Google instructions from their site and they were comparably useless so I kind of just yolo'd it. Not really sure how but they gave me twice what I needed, I guess it was for high beams but IDK why the fuck you'd use a light setup that takes 3 seconds to be bright for your high beams.

280k miles... worth $1500-$1600. Never worth over 2k.

there are bixenon kits designed to be used as both low and high beams but if you get a 4300k setup, they're about the same color as the regular miats high beams which are bright enough as it is

Honesty fuck OBD2

I have a '97 and it's throwing P0300 codes pretty much daily, yet the car isn't actually misfiring. Power comes on smooth and there is no stuttering at all. I've driven cars that misfire and mine definitely doesn't. The CEL will blink if I rev the car especially high, like over 5000 rpm

The ignition system is good, new ngk wires, ngk spark plugs (gapped correctly), and oem coil pack with 50k miles on it. I also just replaced the crank angle sensor with a new one and adjusted the air gap correctly according to the service manual.

Apparently there is a Technical Service Bulletin for this issue, the listed possible causes are
>Ignition system malfunction
>Low fuel
>Low battery positive voltage
>Fuel system malfunction
>Insufficient compression
>Crankshaft position sensor air gap incorrect
>Egr system malfunction

It says if all if those things are ok then you need to replace the ECU...

Anybody else had this issue? I'm going to do a battery load test tomorrow and if my battery doesn't pass I guess I'll replace that next.

I think I figured it out, I read further about this tsb and it says that if your vin is under a certain number (JM1NA35**V0727842) then your problem is caused by a mis-logic of the ECM/PCM. My vin is lower than this number so I guess I'm going to search for an ECM out of a later '97... fucking annoying.

Am I fucked? Left side is dry.

Other side.

Canvas? I hear if you don't maintain canvas it will stop repelling water.

Those are some neat shots. Points off for not having a miata. Jk jk

Not a big fan of the Sky but it actually looks real nice in black

I like the stripes but it wouldn't kill you to put on a few more layers, looks like there isn't enough. Either that or do vinyl

Oh yea. Miatas easily go for double that. If you can get one of them, I'd do it as long as there's no other big issues with them

just

Ayyyy Sky bro

>QOTSA plate

Hello friend.

Should I even consider a non-LSD equipped car? It's a well maintained car, but just lacking in terms of equipment:

How is it going my fellow Miata humanoids? Looks like a fine day to go on a totally normal Miata drive with some like-minded Miata buddies.

It's like $500 for a torsen, often less. Don't worry about the LSD for now, just try to find a clean miata for cheap. That's what I did

very nice!!!

i'm legit tempted to get those FM lift kit brackets for winter driving

how easy is it to install the lift kit?

$179 for the lift kit seems reasonable.

cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5875637369.html

Do you think I could get this car for $3000 cash money? It has terrible mods so it has to be worth less.

it pretty much just replaces the stock lower shock mounts, so the install is the same as taking the lower shock bolt out. this thing just sandwiches in there

as the item description mentions though, it doesn't increase your suspension travel (it doesn't lower the floor, it moves the room down, in a sense)

god damn thats ugly buy this one
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5866406198.html

or this one

Yes, it's ugly. It can be fixed though if you buy a new bumper/tail lights.

Neither of those are NA8s though, I want the 1.8 at the very least.

At least get a 94
>1.8
>Obd1

bump

Nice wheels mang

Hey boys, I was looking at picking myself up a nip tofubox some time during spring/summer of next year. I've got it ruled down to maybe 4 cars, miata being one. Budget is tentatively at 3k, including repairs.

Mr2
> + MR, corolla with better weight distribution
> + can be had cheaply in my area, sometimes as low as 1500 if patient
> + good in corners
> - 4 cylinder can be a bit lacking at highway speeds, 4k rpm for several hours will give headaches
> - lack of low end torque, slushy until higher rpms
Mk2 Supra
> + inline 6, best engine layout ever made
> + low end torque, still okay on MPGeez
> + much comfier on highway
> - parts are getting scarce because nobody fucking bought them
> - prices are erratic, 4k clean or 2k for a fixer upper
Miata
> + FR, nice and light, can hug corners like a ghost
> + aftermarket and replacement parts for daaays
> - overpriced in my area, cheaper to import from Japan, funnily enough.
> - i4 engine is stressed at high rpms, same engine problems as mr2, low end no torque

And then if none of those work out, the last option is any of the i6 Lexus cars produced in the late 90s/early 2000s.

So basically, I come here to you, to try and sell me on getting a miata. Space is not an issue, all I want is weight distribution, power, mpgs, in that order.

>any of the i6 Lexus cars produced in the late 90s/early 2000s.
A L T E Z Z A
L
T
E
Z
Z
A

Why no AE86?

meme car, overpriced as hell. would have to raise the budget to 5k for a working (not clean, working) one, no reason when it shares internals with the mr2. I don't want to get into pedantics about the car, but it's simply out of my price range, and I'm not dagumi.

>no reason when it shares internals with the mr2
I think it's better though. I'd have 50/50 FR over MR and 3-door hatch over T-top. You're right though, it's a shame about the price.

MR means less drivetrain loss because engine is closer to power wheels, meaning better MPGs.

I'm mostly leaning towards Miata then. Sophisticated suspension, wind blasting in your face, can drift. I actually don't know anything about Mk2 Supra, I've never even seen one in person. And I doubt there's a significant MPG difference between Miata and MR2.

Are the early 116hp 1.6 NA engines good?

So i'll be using rust converter for my trunk and i can't help but wonder what am i going to about these little holes. I'm also missing one rubber "cap" under the spare which is gonna allow water into the trunk.

Is there some kind of "filler" I could use to patch em for at least a year? Banging sheet metal and welds is a bit expensive at the moment

Also, do i have to paint the material after or is it alright for a while until i use a more permanent solution. Do i gotta scrape out any flakes or could i just cake the converter so i don't make bigger holes in my boot?

TL;DR
>do i have to scrape rust flakes off?
>do i have to paint over the converter?
>any filler materials i could use to patch any holes?

DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid?

Car has a clean interior.

VW Polo I know is getting water in through the sunroof, doors and heater

mx5parts
Yay or nay? Any anecdotes from purchasing there? Where should I get my stuff from?

i've owned both MR2 aw11 and the miata na

>mr2 has better weight distribution for pure performance because of rear bias, miata wd is better on the roads, and stuff like autocross where balance is better
>miata has better suspension since it uses double wishbone on both front and read but has a bit too much bodyroll stock, mr2 has better stock setup but uses mcphersons which are good, but not double wishbone good
>maintenance cost is pretty comparable
>as for driving postion miata beats not only mr2 but pretty much all the cars on the market, but mr2 is way more comfortable
>as for the driving feel both feel amazing, miata communicates with you all the time so you know you're gonna lose tracton way before it happens, while mr2 is a little bit more unpredicteable but a bit more snappy with stock suspension, and no, you don't need to worry about snap oversteer

in the end whatever you'll choose will be fine
personally i ended with a miata only but that's because i just couldn't jusfiy maintaining two such similar cars

it's a fine engine if you don't care about power that much
it revs a bit better than 1.8
a good choice if you'll plan to turbo it, because you can easily and safely reach 200-220hp

though watch out for the really early ones, because they had short crankshaft problem, be sure to ask about it before buying

As long as you don't get the short nose crank the 1.6 is good

Holy shit man cut that cancer out. No amount of rust converter will take care of that

Either is fine, just don't use dot 5

i got some small bits from them (air filter, wind deflector, side repeaters, usb/sd audio module), no issues to report. mine's on the right

Can someone give me a general ballpark as to what I should expect a blown head gasket repair to run? My 1997 is in the shop right now but I've never had to get it worked on before, I always do it myself if I can.

ayy, just bought one of these and getting round to doing the cambelt when I have the chance. Are all shifters notchy as fuck or just mine?