What can the police see when they pull you over based on just your license plate in the US?

What can the police see when they pull you over based on just your license plate in the US?

I've always wondered.

Can they tell if your are a retired MP? I've gotten pulled over when I was driving my dad's car with just regular license plates (not the retired military police license plates) and they always seemed more lenient then when I got pulled over in my car that's registered to me

I got pulled over in my dads LT1 doing 113 in a 70 and got the most non-stern verbal warning I think you could give someone doing 40+ over the speed limit

I even got pulled over in his plow truck that's registered to him because the tag was expired and the cop just said get it taken care of and let me go plow the contracts he has

I would ask my dad but he worked inside the base and only did patrol for a short time

Each state shows slightly different information (i.e. Some may only give you the registered owners name, some may include their SSN and DOB).

I can only speak for Massachusetts because I'm a dispatcher there -

Status of license (active/expired/etc)
Name / picture
DOB / SSN
Descriptives (height,weight,eye color,gender)
Address
Driving history
Any active or expired firearm carry permits
Full Criminal history

That's about it.

Don't they also see how often your plate has been looked up, like "scanned", i.e. so maybe you never did anything blatantly illegal but some cops scanned you cuz you were lookin suspicious (i.e. black driving a Mackabenz) so you're up on that list showing 10 recent scans therefore they're more likely to bend you over

Yeah that's one of two things I forgot.

The system MA uses (CJIS) does in fact show if you've been recently ran in the past few months, as well as the agency and individual that ran you. It doesn't however state the reason.

The other thing I forgot was that it checks for both MA specific wants/warrants/restraining orders as well as runs you through the national database (NCIC) to check for national warrants.

Some specific agencies (mine included) also have their own little locals file on their computers that isn't connected to any database or anything but is just their for our own information. For example, whenever we stop somebody (criminal or not) we enter their basic info into our own Rolodex so that if we encounter them in the future we'll know that we've dealt with them before and for what reason.
This is basically used for if we stop you for blowing through a stop sign and see that we've given you 3 or 4 verbal warnings for blowing the same stop sign, maybe it's time you get a ticket.

Also to the OP's question that I totally forgot to answer...
In this state it will show if the individual is a veteran only if they've elected to have "veteran" printed on their license at the DMV. Beyond that, there's no information on whether the person retired or what their MOS/Rate was in the military. It's also something that wouldn't really be noticed unless the officer was specifically looking for it.

They've got your dick size and full access to your internet history.

Thanks

Bumpity. Surprised more aren't interested in this bread.

>Each state shows slightly different information
My state has more info due to 9/11 fervor. If the person is in forviolent type mental health treatment, that will be listed. The number of stops is listed with the driving history along with how many times you were "scanned". The number of scans gives the officer an idea about how many times an officer thought you were suspicious but not enough to pull over.

I know that here in California if the car is registered to a police officer all of the information shows up as redacted. Or at least that's what one of my friends who's a cop says.

Exactly this. Some show more information than others and there isn't really a standard from state to state. It also depends on the type of registration. Like a business plate is going to show a lot less than a personal one.

IIRC, it's not really redacted. It shows up with a code indicating it's LEO related and doesn't show much information. I don't remember the specifics though, it's been years since I've seen one.

dunno what the hell mine says, but the last few times ive blown by cops, theyve come right up on my ass and then broken off.

maybe its my AOPA sticker?

They see you're driving your dads car and don't want to nail you under the assumption that you're running an errand and don't want to disappoint your dad (who seems to be a nice guy with nice car)

if you want a very irate and patronizing police officer to talk to you like US traffic laws are literally the words of jesus resurrected spoken last tuesday, just drive your own shitbox with worn paint

Age seems to matter. I've never been let off with a warning until I was over 40. Now they just tell me to slow down and send me on my way.

My city has an automated system wired into the cop car. 4 Cameras covering all angles so they can see license plates around them, and runs them to see if registration is expired, warrants, and what not while driving around. Computer system automatically identifies the car and tells the cop to pull it over. It's caused some controversy, but more cities are adopting it. I am sure someone that's a cop or something that knows a lot more about this shit then me can chime in.

We have these in Indiana. I have two antique cars with "year of manufacture" plates on them. The BMV has no record of the plate numbers actually displayed on my cars. I've always wondered what happens when one of those plate scanning cop cars drives by me.

Wow, even here in cuckachusetts we don't have that.

I wonder if anybody's challenged the constitutionality of it. I know that driving isn't a protected right but still...

Oakland?

>My city has an automated system wired into the cop car. 4 Cameras covering all angles so they can see license plates around them, and runs them to see if registration is expired, warrants, and what not while driving around. Computer system automatically identifies the car and tells the cop to pull it over. It's caused some controversy, but more cities are adopting it.

My city got a similar system but mounted it at a traffic intersection to look for fake license plate tabs. Yes, people make fake license plate tabs.

Black Lives Matter activists did their usual threatening actions that robots enforcing the law is racism and the city removed the illegal license registration detector. It seems that almost all the people getting caught with fake tabs were blacks. So BLM was angry about stats that single out blacks and fights them whenever it can. BLM can't stop blacks from doing the crimes, so it fights bad statistics by trying to make it too problematic for those stats to be collected (such as getting rid of that method of detecting fake license tabs).

>I've always wondered what happens when one of those plate scanning cop cars drives by me.
The officer makes the call. He leaves you alone.

For example, in my state, new car registration is supposed to be in the rear window. But I have legal tint. Not only do I not want tape on the new tint, but the registration is also hard to see (not that I do hit and run and want info hard to see). So the tint shop laminated my new car registration and made a tasteful display in my rear license plate.

That is technically not legal, but cops have been in back of me before and NEVER pulled me over for it. Officers do make personal choices on what they see.

>LT1 engine: camaro or corvette
>Plow truck for (presumably) work
not exactly a riced out Honda or a max tint Lexus
cops profile the shit out of your vehicle, and you were driving safe; a boomermobile and a work vehicle
>the Don demands no less

>cops profile
Profiling is racist

>We have these in Indiana
Our police department got into budget trouble due to BLM activists filing so many different racial discrimination lawsuits with the federal government. It doesn't matter that they lose. They all have a defense cost and that wrecks the city budget which is how BLM is using as a negotiation tactic. It's basically obey us or we will drain your money.

So our city stop enforcing a lot of laws against homeless, but will continue to enforce those same laws against the city residents. It's quite unfair but the city's point of view is that enforcing some of the law is better than enforcing none of the law.

I don't know about the police thing, but I have a YOM plate in CA, our bridge tolls are on a license plate reader system, the charge goes on your registration fee, mine doesn't get charged

The officer has to turn in a DMV form proving they are LEO to get their DMV information hidden.(In CA)

Once thats done, if a cops personal vehicle is run by another cop the information that shows up makes it look like the police department that that cop works at is the registered owner of the car.