Classic Car General - /ccg/

C L A S S I C C A R G E N E R A L

25 years and older technically counts as a classic, but it needs more than just age to be considered a classic.

>Post classic cars
>Blog post about classic cars
>Post classic car feels
>Post what you're working on
>Love classic cars

Fix my shit edition

Old Thread

HI guise! am i in the club now?

Fuck winter, it reminds me how much water leaks into this thing.

Really wish I could just gut the interior and go at the rust repair, challenging when it's your DD. Still debating on suspension parts to order as well.

>it's an 81 if anyone's curious

Not much going on with the caprice as of today and yesterday. Today I just hooked up everything on the engine. I did the hokey pokey with the passenger side header.

>put it on
>forgot to hook up starter, can't reach with header in the way
>take it off
>put it back on, have all the bolts in but one
>can't get the last bolt in without taking the others off
>take it off again
>put stubborn bolt on first
>have all bolts in but one, again
>this time a different bolt won't go in without taking the other bolts out and leaving the other stubborn bolt threaded in 1/4 of the way
>take it back off again
>correctly have all the bolts in, finally

in other words

>put the left bolt in
>took the left bolt out
>shook the header all about

Man fuck these cheap headers.

Meant to reply to OP, oops.

ayy what year Caprice? My dads had a 66 for as long as I can remember.

>inb4 hey bro nice impala

82 or an 83, i can't remember. It's my brothers car, just fixing it for him after a crash.

Weather was finally good enough/I had time to line all my cars up so I could take a group photo for you guys

should I put a bigger jet in my carb for winter?

How cold does it get where you are now?

What's that going to do?

alternatively you could just keep the choke closed a little bit.

denver, so fairly cold. it's probably going to be like 30-40 on average

You shouldn't have any problem then. Just use the choke while it warms up if you need it. That loooong manifold makes the 300 a bit cold blooded.

Is it really worth it to swap out drum brakes for disc ones?

If you have 4 wheel drum brakes, yes, if you have front discs and rear drums, no.

I am, because FUCK four wheel drum brakes and a single master cylinder.

shit sucks.

nice, thanks man.

You can get 4 wheel discs working a lot better than most people think. You can also get drums from a heavier car of the same era, there were some monster drums out there, Galaxie wagons had 11x2.5" drums that can stop just as well as a lot of discs. I swapped to discs because I plan on racing the car but if it was just a street car I've always been fine with drums

despite memes, well tuned drums will stop better than discs.
The problem with them is they got hot real quick if you ride them.

4 wheel drums*

I definitely agree with some dude that it's not worth it to go to discs in the back for a classic

the biggest thing about disks vs drums for me is that ease of future maintenance. No springs, no heavu drums, just easily swap pads and disks.

My fascination with Lincolns is twofold: first, they're great cars. Second, I had a '79 Mark V that I sold because of an ex. I want my life and my Lincoln back; I can't get the time I wasted back, but I can get another Lincoln.

>I had a '79 Mark V that I sold because of an ex.
why

>Dracula is lit on nostalgia

Can anyone tell me if a I6 or /6 with a 3spd can handle 70mph for extended periods of time? What would be an ideal rear gear ratio?

Yes unless you're KKK who's top speed is 70mph
it's all about your final gear ratio.

I'm gonna go talk to the guy again this week and see what's good. I think I still have your number, I'll let you know.

Long story; she thought I had too many cars and that one had a bad association with her mother, so I sold it. Now, I want to replace it.

what kind of wheels should I get

None, keep those, they look fine

Those wheels are good.

Hey, my to speed is 84

I've driven my '77 F150 with a 300 and highway gears at 70 mph for hours before. Its turning under 2500 rpm at that speed

Personally, get rid of the cowl, if you're not using it as a workhorse for heavy shit, drop it 3-4 inches front and rear and keep the rallies.

If you're itching for new wheels, maybe go with one of the replica rally wheels in a 17" or so, so you can keep some sidewall and the clasisc look.

Chrome looks like shit, especially on those, polished are a pain to maintain, black wheels a shit on everything.

Alternatively, go with some slotted mags.

Trying to buy new fucking engine bearings and there's fucking 11 pages of bearings for engines and I got no fucking clue what to get.

I'm pretty sure the crank hasn't been ground. So its standard sized bearing, but then there race, road, PreA, post A, 998, 998 1100, and I got fuck all idea.

I guess I should just phone them.

Phone the place, or it's time to tear shit apart and start measuring, if your shits slightly too big for a bearing it should be, you'd know your shits worn and needs to be reground or replaced.

jesus man, what a controlling cunt.

Eh, she sort-of had a point; I did have 5 cars at the time and space for only four.

Still, I will get another one and be happy.

seriously how can i tell how much throttle cable i need besides trial and error?

Use string to measure the distance?

Let's see those stickers!

Nice. I've been wanting a Reagan sticker for my 86 but then again I'm literally terrified of putting political things on my car because of shitheads in my area.

Just do it. I'm a staunch liberal, although I find my sticker ironic right now.

Either way, it's period correct and I think it's cool

This sticker is a on a 56 Oldsmobile I just picked up. I'll include other pictures later if you guys are interested.

Tell me /ccg/ how many stickers is too many?

You arent a liberal. You are a hypocritical cuck. Driving that truck directly opposes what liberals belive. Off yourself.

I'm very liberal, but I also love cars.
>Deal widdit

More than 3

>I'm a staunch liberal
>is an alcoholic and drug addict
>acts like he knows everything despite being proven wrong multiple times
Everything checks out here

I only know some things, most of which involve Harley Davidson and Indian being the only company to make a REAL motorcycle, brother

Muh dick. Didn't you have a turbo project delorean?

Was going to go with a Turbo, but it wasn't worth it. Instead, I have a carburetor on it. It runs alright, but it has a strange hesitation. I suspect a vacuum leak, but I can't find it.

How's your accelerator pump?

Also swap an l67 in it

>dude engine swap it lmao
Kill yourself my man

pinion seal replacement came out fine, despite it being the first time im doing it

cautiously optimistic about it cause im an idiot and probably fucked something up like always, but we'll see on doooowwwwnnn the road

if anything that will be a good excuse to upgrade the drivetrain

what big things have i missed

>Trunk struts I ordered were the wrong ones
>Hood struts I ordered couldn't even hold up the hood, the 35 year old ones work better.

Why

>Wanting a prv6
Honestly they're fucking fucked m8, big time

They're also one of the only things that bolt up to the transmission; plus, the car was designed around them. My options are somewhat limited.

Just a few things left to do to get it road worthy again, lads

>attach bumper
>run some new wires for headlights
>align hood properly
>reinstall the radiator
>misc trim and headlight bezel

Probably one or two things I'm missing, but whatevs

Here's a pic pre-bolting

Post bolting

Front clip didn't line up completely perfect, but it's a good 20 footer, especially when it's going to be painted so the colors match.

Doesn't it use an esprit transmission? Or am I mistaken.
>Tfw you will never have a twin turbo v8 powered delorean

Looks good man

I needed 4 hands to line this thing up and bolt it all at once. I think I'm gonna take another crack at aligning the driver's side.

and let me tell you guys something, it's a PAIN IN THE BITCH ASS CUNT to put a hood on by yourself.

t. Someone who has never owned or worked on a car with a PRV

But there it is.

What year is that? Good looking car though, would look mean in a good coat of satin or metallic black

I've zero desire to work out own a prv engine. I have a VTEC v6

82 or 83 caprice. My brother bought a gallon of paint for it after the crash.... Midnight Blue Metallic.

That thing got a big block?!?

Whoops I was wrong couldn't differentiate the middle two headers

Just a 305, nothing to see here.

8-71 blown 572 out the hood when

Wanna lend me about $15,000 to build it?

>kkk is literally a 17yo boomer
What a suprise

>not wanting a huge detroit V8 with a blower ontop

Whatever, econocuck.

So here is my list of things I need to buy. As of right now it's current

THINGS I LEARNED TODAY:

Batteries need water apparently. My battery needed water apparently. When I went to start it, the thing wasn't turning over. Then, as the key was still on start, the fucker blew up. Sounded like a 12 gauge going off under my hood. I feel retarded.

21, but yeah basically. I do have fuzzy dice and a hula girl on my dash.

People still buy batteries you need to maintain? I didn't know that was a thing still.
Every single battery I see now is Maintenance free and sealed.
Did you take a picture of the battery?

I will tomorrow. I didn't know you needed to either, but it has/had the panels that popped off to film with water i guess (they literally blew off and melted on the underside of my hood).

you might want to get some baking soda & water and coat FUCKING EVERYTHING UNDER YOUR HOOD. If you don't it'll start rusting crazy quick.

Someone talk me out of buying an MGB GT

I would be delivering pizza in it. My current dad is a MG ZS which is 70 % Honda civic

I will do that right now

mgb's are pretty clutch, they're basically the mustang of yurop

your current dad is a 70% honda civic?

They're also cheap as chips in Scotland, theres one on pretty good nick for £2500 near me

Autocorrect full key me again, my dad is actually 70% Saab 9-5

Here's what the battery looks like now.

Also that white liquid is baking soda and water i went heavy on the baking soda

All that white shit is acid mate, get it scrubbed

alright so I scrubbed it, but it didn't do much. I put some oil on it, and tomorrow or the next day I am going to hit it with a random orbital sander and some primer.

I've seen your shitbox on /pol/,
fuck you obunga voter.

Tossing in my vote for a 1405 edelbrock, loving mine, especially the manual choke. Been on the truck close to 6 months, just about 15,000 miles now, runs like a fucking top.

It's a Renault transmission; not a terrible unit, but adapting it to anything else is arduous. If I swap engines, I'd have to change everything else; transmission, linkage, etc.

Posted more in the off road general but I'll be getting an 82 k10 here soon that I'm gonna be building

>high stall torque converter

just how high are you going?

Probably like 2500rpm

Lol what I've never been on pol

That's what I'm thinking, it seems more plug and play.

That blows.

some faggot used your pic and said you were voting clinton

I did vote for Clinton

>wanting these

Thanks for the (You)

Bump