Why did they use plastic Veeky Forums

why did they use plastic Veeky Forums

VAG a shit

Probably the same reason they stuck the timing chain at the back of the engine.
They thought it would never need to be serviced and figured they could get away with it.

Cause it cheap just like Audi Xd

>german engineering

They just like to overly complicate things to seem smarter and people keep falling for their meme

>german engineering
VW beetle engine fires

its kevlar you fucking retards holy shit nobody is dumb enough to use normal plastics as timing chain guides, especially on an interference engine

It still blows my mind that there are so many people that don't know about the mammoth ranges of blends plastics have.
Hell, a lot these days have a greater yield strength than aluminium or even some steels. Then you get ridiculous polymers from companies like sustapeek and shit.

german memengineering

ALL JUNK

They had to cut corners on something, and being the idiots that VAG are, they did it on a critical component of the engine

Fucking Germans

>4 chains
>at the back of the engine
what the fuck was audi thinking

LIFETIME COMPONENTS LMAO

when will they realise things that move will fail eventually no matter how well engineered they are

These. Board full of mopar cucks.

"muh chinese steel"

>use metal chain guides
>metal-on-metal wear destroys inaccessible timing chain in 30,000 miles

GEE I WONDER

also polyamide is some tough shit

>lifetime = 100k miles

VAG logic.

More like
>why did they use chains

Gear driven and timed everything forever.

Would you rather have
>a chain that must be kept clean
>a chain tensioner
>a chain guide
>two sprockets
or
>two sprockets
>that's it

inb4 faggots don't like gear whine

Posting a car engine from audi that is 10 years old if not more.
People complaining about reliability. Their timing chains havent looked like this for a good amount of time.

But then again this is Veeky Forums... Guess 10 year old beat out shitboxes are at the very core of this board. I doubt that audi made anything with 6 cylinders or more while taking weebs from Veeky Forums 10 years into the future into account.

Because Accountants

dat audi fangay salt xD

>each cam has it's own timing chain
>crankshaft has separate chain
>fourth chain hidden behind everything connected to.. something

???????

>at the back of the engine.

Must be a german thing.

Oil pump.

>what did he mean by this?

Some plastics are bretty good at staying slippery without lubricant, and extremely slippery with lubricant.

Dat fagay salt seems to be hitting home too

>toda

wish I had the money to build my k series with toda parts

wartburg had EVERYTHING backwards when you placed it to a normal car, ignition on the other side, light switch on the other side etc

>TW@ !!HG04aECZrS+
opinion binned

I've looked purchasing both an audi rs4 and rs5 before. The only thing that stopped me was I remember the pictures of the timing chain and what you have to do to get to it. Why couldn't audi at least put the chain in the front of the motor? I probably would have purchased the rs5 if they did, because that 4.2 v8 is such a nice running engine. Very smooth power delivery and such a nice exhaust note on the rs5 with the burble on up shifts.

for the chain sliders? because metal rubbing against metal is very unappealing

Get an old S6 with the belt-driven V8. Or put one of those in a B5 A4.