JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

That's it. I am finally going to race at the age of 23. It has been a lingering thought since I was 5 but because of my family financial situation, I couldn't. But now, I am finally stable. I don't care if I never make it professionally, I just want to race. I thought about karting, what category would be best for me to start? I'm from Quebec by the way

Why not start with motorcycles?

The ideal class for someone your age is probably Rotax Max or something.

You prob wanna look into stock car or touring car racing too.

What's the most fun or the best option for me? I am not filthy rich, I have like max 8k to blow on racing for now. I think karting is the most affordable. Is there a shifter kart category here in Canada?

Because I need to have a liscense for it and it's expensive from where I am. I am open to it but I never had any kind of 2 wheel experience except for bicycles. I want to race but I don't want to get Btfo every race

>Quebec
You have literally anything to choose from.

Try living in fucking BC ;_;

At least you don't have a 25 years import ban...What do you mean everything? There's karting, rally, SCCA...what else? What would be the best starting point? Did a lot of karting when I was younger

Wheel to wheel? Get your SCCA license, buy a shit box, and go wheeling. I'm not a fan of karts personally, but I know it's probably the cheapest and easiest way to go. Real cars would require a decent amount of investment to get trackworthy.

Maybe one day you'll have the dosh to go race in the Nissan Micra Cup.

BC has fuck all motorsports. There's some CACC classics race, a hill climb, the once a year rally attended by 20 people in the middle of fucking nowhere, and some spec shitbox series. We have one tiny track that you'd be faster in a Civic than a E36. The amount of people here with legitimate track cars is probably under 100.

I guess I should go karting. I do feel like a cuck for driving a kart at 23y/o but if there's nothing else, so be it

>Why not start with motorcycles?

Because you are far more likely to get injured seriously in a motorcycle/dirtbike race.

Dude no one cares about age, if you think karting is for kids you are mistaken

What would be the average cost of every kind of entry level motorsport?

Rally rall rally find a manual shitbox of your choice rollcage, suspension strip it out and your ready. You can add more later. Or spec e30

>Starting with something harder and different skill set than karting.

Around $40 if not on an actual track.

Bump

Karting costs:

To start in 4 stroke (slower) you are going to spend $1.5k-$2.5k for a used kart and $3k-$4k for new.

To start in 2 stroke (faster) you are going to spend $3k-$4k for a used kart and $5k-6k for new.

You will then need either a pickup truck or trailer to transport the kart (or some tracks have storage you can rent). You will also need some tools if you don't already have a set.

2 stroke is generally more expensive per season as you spend more on gas, tires, oil, engine rebuilds, etc. Yearly maintenance/parts on 2 stroke will be $2.5k-5k (depending on repairs/crashes/number of races). Yearly maintenance/parts on 4 stroke will be $1k-$3k (depending on the same thing).

A yearly membership at your local track will run between $100-$200 as well as $50-$80 per race you join.

All in all expect to spend 6k-10k your first year getting your kart, tools, parts, setup, etc. Then your second and third year after that will be cheaper as you will already have your kart and only be paying maintenance fees and entry fees.

Alright that's a bit more expensive than I thought. What about stock cars/SCCA? Are they more rewarding and expensive?

you can do amateur races which will only cost you fuel, tires, sub 100 entrance fee and the cost fo the car.

We're taking part of one next year with a daewoo literal shitbox that costs less than the entrance fee.

I also forgot to mention that I will be competing alone with no team or sponsors. How hard is it to get sponsors?

Street racing

down hill in a shitbox

>tfw dad used to take me to watch downhill shitbox races when I was a kid
>they banned them when some retard died

>carting is too expensive
Okay so a car then.....
>Miata $2k
>$10k in mods (cage, seats, suspension, brakes, refreshing all shit parts, new bushings, wheels, tires) if you can do it yourself
Could do it for less or more, this is just a general number
>race suit and helmet $600-$1500
>truck and trailer to pull car to events $8000 used for both
>maintenance on truck and trailer $depends
>fuel
>tires
>repairs
>wrench time
>crash repairs
>entry fees
>hotel

Yeah good luck man.

Sponsors are very difficult unless you have a friend/family member who owns a company or works very high up in one.

When I was karting eventually I just stopped trying for sponsors and just raced on my own dime (and some help from family/friends).

4 stroke karting is going to be your cheapest option. You said you had 8k to spend, no?

You could get started in 4 stroke for cheap and first year you will spend 5k. Then because you already have equipment your second year will be approx 2k. You would get 2 years of racing for under 8k - that's not too bad.

The only cheaper option would be a rental/arrive-and-drive program at your local kart track.

Actually, my parents own a bakery and without braging, we are doing better than the average. So what now? Try to convice them to sponsor me? How does sponsorship work, like they give a part of the company's money to me? Not from their personal salary? Sorry for dumb questions

Generally sponsorships work as a sort of business deal/exchange. They are giving you financial support in return for advertising/promotion. Now obviously this works better at the higher levels of motorsport where it is televised and more influential. This is why karting sponsorship can be tough.

It depends on each situation. Some companies will have a sponsorship or miscellaneous budget which they can take from. If you have a friend/family in the company they may just take from their own salary.

For example: a friend of my dad gave me $500 one year from his door company (came on a company cheque). Whereas another family member is the CEO of his company and gave me $250 cash (most likely his own money).

If it is your parents' bakery they might be able to pay through the company and then get a portion back on their tax return. I know we have something like this in Ontrio but not sure about Quebec.