Kindly help me select a shitbox Veeky Forums

My first-gen Forester shat out the center diff, sold it as-is for $2750 with a "rear CV going out" with 176k on the original head gaskets
Gotta love Colorado

I'm a brokedick college student and need something reliable as fuck, don't really ever have spare money between rent/insurance and all that.
Mind you, I'm not one to neglect a car, I take extremely good care of my vehicles but don't want something that needs major shit every 2 weeks

Other urls found in this thread:

shiftauto.net/inventory/previa-all-trac/
denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5872279127.html
fortcollins.craigslist.org/ctd/5873351026.html
denver.craigslist.org/cto/5874863088.html
denver.craigslist.org/cto/5864012787.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just wrote a fucking novel, went to post - Error: Field too long, so I guess i'm typing all this shit again holy fuck

In no particular order, here are my current candidates

This Previa, mileage isn't too much of a concern as long as it's been maintained, and if mechanicals are in good shape (rear diff, SAD, etc.). And it's fucking manual.
I drove an '84 Westfalia a few days ago and it was hilarious, would love to have a van for doing comfy van shit in, like road trips/camping/fucking and all that
They're asking $3k on CL
~ shiftauto.net/inventory/previa-all-trac/ ~

Same stealership has this Corolla, seems to be in good shape and is also manual. Fairly low miles so should be pretty bulletproof right?
Definitely high on the list but it's just a shitbox, no character to speak of. Probably a responsible choice though.
~ denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5872279127.html ~

This E90 Corolla wagon, supposed to be pretty reliable and the miles aren't too bad, manual, and the price is pretty nice. Checking it out tomorrow since I'm in the area.
~ fortcollins.craigslist.org/ctd/5873351026.html ~

This sweet-ass 4WD Tercel, kind of concerned about the mileage and motor. But I love a unique 80's shitbox and I love these cars. I've got a 2nd car for the time being so I could get the emissions issue worked out hopefully, any ideas? Damn it looks clean
~ denver.craigslist.org/cto/5874863088.html ~

Finally this Celica, mileage is high but with the rebuilt motor it doesn't seem so bad. Would be a fun Dagumi-mobile, and again a unique RWD 80's shitbox. Any testaments to the reliability of these? Probably the least responsible choice but I live 10 min away from the touge in any direction so it would be nice to have.
~ denver.craigslist.org/cto/5864012787.html ~

Any input appreciated, and the Denver, Boulder, FoCo Craigslist are all fair game if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks Ya'll

Corolla wagon for sure

Second
Corolla wagon is goat comfy

It's definitely at the top of the list, it apparently has a rust spot on the rocker under passengers door

Can't fucking stand rust so I'll see how bad it is tomorrow

but fucking $950

and i can put on the JDM fender mirrors and it would be cute as fuck

>"I'm not one to neglect a car"
>"I ran my car into the ground and need a new one"

kys senpai

Either the Corolla DX sedan or the wagon
Yes they're bulletproof with minimal maintenance
Yes you should get either of these
Yes you should swap either a late model 4AGZE from an AE92/101 Corolla or 3S-GTE from a ST205 Celica

Do popups from the ae92

fuck you bud, the car was fucking babied in my ownership, always filled with Shell V-Power, Idemitsu full synthetic every 3k, no expense spared on preventative maintenance

The center diff is a common failure point in the 97-01 Foz and I couldn't afford to have it fixed, and lack the tools and live in an apt. complex with a "no wrenching" policy

This bitch was pretty damn pristine for a high mileage Forester

I would have a hard time resisting the temptation of the Celica, it's basically an AE86 in some sense and looks to be in good nick

>good condition
Yeah nah, it's fucked

Yeah probably the best choice tbqh, but I've never owned a fwd car and it would kinda kill me to break that streak

as cool as the Supercharged 4AG and Beams both are, fucking useless when power's being sent to the wrong wheels

goddamn that looks bizarre

fuckin A m8 I know, but it seems like something that would need major work over time. Then again at that price I could invest in a lot of maintenance right away so idfk

pic related is the Fozzie, I swear to god this thing was a fucking queen in my hands, I never did done her wrong

BEHOLD

>no votes for the manual trans Egg Van yet

looks to be clean as shit too

>fucking useless when power's being sent to the wrong wheels

Oh fuck off with this, either of the Corollas top out at 2500lbs curb weight max, with an engine making ~200 whp would make for a fun fucking daily
Quit parroting stupid shit from here

I'm not parroting anything, I've owned 3 RWD vehicles and the Subaru was 50/50 AWD with rear bias under slip. I enjoy the handling charecteristics of RWD, especially in snow and gravel which I have to deal with a lot here. Getting slideways is far more enjoyable and challenging than dealing with understeer.

I don't like FWD simply based on my personal experience having driven many many cars of various configurations on roads that are basically a public racetrack

By no means am I saying it's not completely fine for a DD, but it would be retarded to drop at least 3 grand swapping the motors you mentioned into a FWD commuter car

what makes you say that

yeah I really do like it, but I don't know if I really need that much utility tbqh

to elaborate on
>roads that are basically a public racetrack

There's tons of extremely technical and genuinely amazing mountain roads here that are very well maintained, yet completely devoid of traffic because they lead to one or two houses out the fuck in the mountains - so you can go full Dagumi at any time. Not saying I drive everywhere like it's a racetrack

Get either of the corollas, they won't break the bank when they need to be fixed and all that jazz. Plus you can still find them in yards if shit does go south.

The celica is cool and all, but good luck finding replacement parts locally that isn't engine related, they rust and leak like hell and they're fucking gutless. Not that great of mileage for a 4cyl either.

miata

Appreciate your realism, honestly I might check out the celica anyways just because cheap as fuck and rebuilt 22re

If it's rust free and I can get it for 1500 it might be pretty cool

Soon

Well I checked out the 'Rolla wagon, proper fuckin shitbox

Feels like driving a tin can, but kind of fun

Guy also had an 02 Echo with 145k for $1700 but the interior was pretty trashed and smelled bad. Wish it didn't, would've been a solid deal.

Considering the wagon because it's cheap as fuck

Looking at the Celica tomorrow, probably gonna swing by the dealership with the Previa and other Corolla too if time allows

>select all cars

Samefag here, speaking from experince.

What to look for as far as rust on the celica is rear quarters, hatch, spare tire, and the rockers. The hatch almost always leaks on them.

If it has a rattle on start, 90% of the time its the timing chain guides broken, which is a pretty common on 22r engines. Though i have experience with 85+ engines not 84-.

Other than that and the almost non-existent modding community, they're pretty alright cars.

Just get a civic for 3k. Awd is unnecessary.

thanks dood very helpful,
it's got rocker rust but it doesn't look too bad in the pics he sent me so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow when I go to Denver to look at the Corolla DX and the Previa

looking at a Corolla for 3k tomorrow you fucking memester, and I live in buttfuck Colobrahdo so AWD is necessary, trust me

I suppose ground clearance and weight is more important most of the time when there's 2ft of snow on the ground on any given snowfall day,but these things usually come hand in hand with AWD/4WD vehicles

Still really fuckin stoked on the Previa, it seems really clean. I guess driving it with the manual will be a deciding factor

An aside: WTF, do all Toyota econobox manuals feel like dogshit?
Both the echo and corolla I drove today - the gearbox felt nearly identical in tactile feel

garbage throws, can't wiggle it for shit in neutral, it just feels fucking stupid and bad

Civic manuals are better.

Previa looks good though, go for it.

>and I live in buttfuck Colobrahdo so AWD is necessary, trust me

I live in Quebec where we get WAY more snow.

AWD is a luxury.

so I've heard, can't find a decent looking non-mexican owned civic around me tho

but I've kind of restricted myself to the 6th gen 4-door

yeah you're right, but I mean honestly my Subaru on snow tires was a fucking snowplow, the ground clearance and AWD allowed me to get through a lot of shit a FWD compact car, even on snow tires, would have simply not had enough traction to get through

If I lived in the city I wouldn't argue, but I'm living at 9000ft in the Rockies most of the winter, it's literally a necessity if you want to be mobile at any given time

I've got a truck I can take up with me so I'm not too concerned with it this time around, just need a shitbox. The AWD in the Previa would probably come in handy for mild off-roading and all that because it would be inevitably used for camping/road trips