Geo Metro appreciation thread

Other urls found in this thread:

cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5845532931.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FDjmylmXxew
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whats there to appreciate about this literal turd

*godmachine

Cunt

Shitboxes are loved by Veeky Forums. We like to say they have character. We beat them to hell, and they somehow still go another 50k miles. When brand new with 4 miles on the odometer, we smugly donned these vehicles "econoboxes". But they matured, such as a fine wine does. They surived to 300k miles with minimal repairs. Just like a soldier earns the Purple Heart, our "econoboxes" earned their reputation as the "shitbox". There are a few cars that will always be known as great little shitboxes: the Toyota Corolla, our beloved Twingo, and America's frontrunner, The Geo Metro.

The Geo Metro was conceived much the same way I was: during a 4am cocaine fueled grope session in the back seat of an AMC Gremlin.

The year was 1987. A few Detroit executives who were down on their luck decided that we need a car designed for real human beans. A car that would love its 8th owner more than its original buyer. A car that had seen 3 oil changes its first 100k miles, but now is pampered by synthetic blend every 2,999 miles. Sunroof? Fuck that! 4 cylinders? Nope! We want 4 wheels, 3 cylinders, 2 doors, and one goddamn good car.

Thus the 1989 Geo Metro was born. It reigned supreme for decades, much like a dictator in Asia. Jay Leno owns 7 Geo Metros in case you forgot. The Geo Metro is the only car to win at Monza, Laguna Seca, Silverstone, and Talladega. Ford and Chrysler appealed to the US government in 1990, saying that production of the Geo Metro created an unfair advantage for GM. Unfortunately for Ford and Chrysler, 98% of the members of Congress drove Geo Metros and loved them to death. The Geo Metro placed 4th in the 1992 Presidential election behind Ross Perot.

Some say the Chevrolet Aveo was the successor to the Geo Metro, but I refuse to believe. Nothing can ever succed over the Geo Metro when it comes to its main purpose: being a spectacular shitbox.

>50 mpg highway
>turbo is available for 50 mpg
>lightweight, simple to work on, reliable
>50 mpg
>is rebadged suzuki swift, meaning 90s jap reliability
>50 mpg
>50 mpg
>50 mpg

anything else I missed?

>slow
>ugly
>unreliable
>not sporty looking
>less than 8 cylinders

Shitboxes are loved by Veeky Forums. We like to say they have character. We beat them to hell, and they somehow still go another 50k miles. When brand new with 4 miles on the odometer, we smugly donned these vehicles "econoboxes". But they matured, such as a fine wine does. They surived to 300k miles with minimal repairs. Just like a soldier earns the Purple Heart, our "econoboxes" earned their reputation as the "shitbox". There are a few cars that will always be known as great little shitboxes: the Toyota Corolla, our beloved Twingo, and America's frontrunner, The Geo Metro.

The Geo Metro was conceived much the same way I was: during a 4am cocaine fueled grope session in the back seat of an AMC Gremlin.

The year was 1987. A few Detroit executives who were down on their luck decided that we need a car designed for real human beans. A car that would love its 8th owner more than its original buyer. A car that had seen 3 oil changes its first 100k miles, but now is pampered by synthetic blend every 2,999 miles. Sunroof? Fuck that! 4 cylinders? Nope! We want 4 wheels, 3 cylinders, 2 doors, and one goddamn good car.

Thus the 1989 Geo Metro was born. It reigned supreme for decades, much like a dictator in Asia. Jay Leno owns 7 Geo Metros in case you forgot. The Geo Metro is the only car to win at Monza, Laguna Seca, Silverstone, and Talladega. Ford and Chrysler appealed to the US government in 1990, saying that production of the Geo Metro created an unfair advantage for GM. Unfortunately for Ford and Chrysler, 98% of the members of Congress drove Geo Metros and loved them to death. The Geo Metro placed 4th in the 1992 Presidential election behind Ross Perot.

Some say the Chevrolet Aveo was the successor to the Geo Metro, but I refuse to believe. Nothing can ever succed over the Geo Metro when it comes to its main purpose: being a spectacular shitbox.

cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5845532931.html

Is this a good deal? Seems kind of suspicious to me. 1991 Metro with 23k miles for $1800. Why is the mileage so low? Or do you think the owner disabled the odometer?

>slow
can be turboed, keeps up in weight/power ratio with miata and other comparable cars of the 90s
>unreliable
3 cylinder engine and sparse interior makes it more reliable than anything not named Lexus
>not sporty looking
It's the ancestor of the modern hot hatch, what are you on?
>less than 8 cylinders
Diminishing returns after 6, senpai. inline-6 is best.

All in all, 0.5/5, come see me after class

When it comes to cars that old, you can disregard the mileage for the most part unless it is stupid high. By that age it should have a lot of stuff replaced that will wear out from age alone so don't pay a premium if you see one with 100k mi with service records for half the price.

Finally somebody else posts it.

I really do wonder where I was conceived. Is that an awkward question to ask your mom?

Mk. II Suzuki Swift owner here.

I'm curious, what are the differences between the Geo Metro and the Swift/Cultus?

Pic slighty related.

I was looking at that back when it was posted.

The cars were originally bought by a bunch of hippies back in the 90s, and hippies hate driving, so 23k is plausible.

More likely though is that the guy just rolled it back from 123k or put in a replacement engine that has "23k" on it.

Sometimes cheap shitboxes like that are bought by old people too. They are retired, barely drive, garage the car, and still get oil changes every 3mos. Those are the gems.

This is just the thread I needed to vent my feels.

>it's 2006 & I'm a sophomore in high school
>parents let me go into school late to take my driver's license exam that morning
>pass, fuck yeah
>get my weekly check from the grocery store where I was a cashier, finally put back enough to buy my neighbor's car
>it was a 1995 Geo Metro, hatchback, 5 speed, mint condition. No rust, solid upholstery, and a recently installed walmart pioneer CD player
>give $800 in cash, stall it a lot on the way home
>fast-forward a few months
>new-found confidence attracts a qt grill
>we hit it off, she's impressed that I have my own car
>jokingly calls it "the egg"
>the egg becomes notorious among friends and classmates
>driving my "egg" everywhere, all over town, with my lady in the passenger seat
>life couldn't be better
>fast forward some more
>I've graduated by now and started taking classes at the community college in town, grill is a year behind me and still in high school
>go to pick her up from school
>"nah that's okay user, I'll just ride home with my friend"
>this happens several times in a row
>park my tiny little hothatch in an inconspicuous spot, man this little fucker will fit anywhere I want to park it
>see her leaving school with another guy
>she climbs into his dad's brand new dodge challenger
>he burns rubber and peels out of the parking lot
>I flip out my Motorola RAZR and shoot her a text "have fun, nvr txt me again cunt"
>in need of a change in life direction
>say fuck it an join the army
>sold the egg before I left for basic training but still think about it every day and reminisce about driving around with my ex, listening to my RHCP Stadium Arcadium CD without a care in the world

user, i connect with this story. Except, my breakup was peaceful and i still have my car.

Love RHCP though. Good taste in music will get you farther than you think.

I know that feel user, I know that feel all too well.

>"have fun, nvr txt me again cunt"

Legend

>I flip out my Motorola RAZR and shoot her a text "have fun, nvr txt me again cunt"

did she ever text you again?

I probably would've been friends with you in high school user

You have good taste in shitboxes and music

Sorry about your loss but congrats on doing something with your life

>>I flip out my Motorola RAZR and shoot her a text "have fun, nvr txt me again cunt"

>mfw

Don't worry, Navy bro here. My story is eerily similar except I had a 99 Plymouth Voyager/ We called it the USS Enterprise because the transmission would get stuck in second, and you'd have to redline it practically to get it to shift. I dubbed it the warp drive because it would launch hard when it shifted. Packed all my friends and we'd get a kick when it happened. Eventually replaced the tranny and it was good. Joined the Navy, blew the head gasket when I was home on leave. If not I'd probably have it right now.

Hang onto the ride man. Selling it is one of my biggest regrets.

Hell no, at least not to my knowledge. I blocked her number anyway. I don't waste time on bitches that ain't loyal.

I looked her up on facebook about a year ago and she had gotten caught up in some kind of modeling scam where she sent the company $500 and went to NYC for a "runway tryout" and now doesn't have enough money to get back home.

Thanks user.

>congrats on doing something with your life

I only did 3 years in the Army and got out after my first deployment. Now I'm back in my hometown working a McJob trying to finish college.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed my geo metro related feels.

Metros are kick-ass, I remember when they were selling for 10k on eBay after gas shot up to 4 dollars a gallon eight years ago.

4 cyllindero 5 speed manuel

I think GEO was a better "20-something" brand than Scion.

youtube.com/watch?v=FDjmylmXxew

Because there's no abhorrently ugly box on wheels

Still own my purple 96 Geo metro that my grandmother gave me. Will never sell it. My M5 will go before my metro.

It is the greatest econobox ever

You can't, it's a Geo
BOW DOWN TO THE CURRENT RULER

geo was too good for this world

Pics of the two side by side, I wanna feel the love!

>no love for the forgotten GEO

Such a beauty

There's one of these convertibles for sale in my area with the 1.3 and stick. No rust and top is in good condition. Newly serviced and runs great according to owner. Mileage unknown.

I don't have room for it, and got too many toys.. but my heart screams "do it faggot!"

Which motor is better the 3 cylinder or the 4 cylinder?

Eurofag here. Friend of mine in high school had a dark metallic blue Suzuki Swift, 5 door hatchback with IIRC 1 litre 3 cyl engine. Quite a cool lil' car, his had extra character because of noisy fuel pump (?) that made the car sound like a hovercraft or something like that.
Still remember the slim doors, letter-sized radiator and mostly empty engine bay, outrageous patterns on cloth upholstery and the surprising roominess of the interior. It could seat 4 adult-sized people in addition to driver with ease, partly due to the fact the driver himself wasn't bigger than a hobbit and therefore rode with the seat at the frontmost position. Ample legroom for anyone sitting behind him for sure...

I have the older version with the lazy 1300.

>Pic not OC but much the same

Those things are god-tier shitboxes. My brother bought one for $650 two years ago. 100,000 miles later, it is still going with nothing more than regular oil changes.

>$650
where do you people find stuff so cheap?

>geo prizm
>literally just a Toyota Corolla with a Chevy badge on it instead.

>what are the differences
Badges, that's about it

Front lights.

Yeah, and engine choices

doing a timing belt change now.
painting the pulleys GOLD just for fun

I always wanted a Geo Storm. That little thing is sickass.

I recall the Swift could be had with a 4 cylinder on the GTI's,I dunno about the Metros tho

This needs to become a copy pasta if it wasn't one already.