Sup guys so I just hit ~1800 miles on my 2017 sti so i decided to finally get on it a little on some back roads...

sup guys so I just hit ~1800 miles on my 2017 sti so i decided to finally get on it a little on some back roads. Nothing crazy i never redlined but i didint drive it like a bitch either. The issue and my question is why did it smell so weird afterwards? I noticed a little stink in the car about 10 minutes in and then after getting out i did a walk around real quick. Honestly smelt like a tuna sandwich with some coins mixed in. Is this normal or what

Clean your vagina.

i really hadn't even thought of that wow lol seems so obvious now

Could be your brake pads maybe or the oil in your gearboxes? Maybe it's the smell of burned rubber from your tires.

burned clutch

the engine actually got hot so all the plastic and shit was burning.

i know its not the clutch. I know that smell and this is different. I was thinking its just the internals burning off (whatever the fuck is new on the car internally) and that itll just go away after a few more thousand miles. It came from the exhaust end too which is why im thinking this

Literally nothing. Stop being a bitch. Break in periods are a complete fucking meme. Rings are seated within the first 100 miles and many people would even argue that red lining is actually part of the break in process.

Clean your coils bro.

Probably oil? I'm not sure what smell you mean, but any car will burn some oil if you beat on it so that's my guess.

what the fuck kind of help was that. I know factory cars come essentially "broken in" but whats this smell. Bought a 36k car i apologize for being a little more than curious on the issue

You drove over dog doodoo

Coolant boiling off of the block.

"in your car" is a little vague. Was it coming out of anywhere like the ac vents? Anything in the engine bay? Only proper means of testing would be to go get hektic in the dirt some more and see if the smell persists/subsides.

Either burning brake pads or clutch. Normal when both are new and/or heavy use.

>new car
>coolant on block

Well, it is a Subaru...
OP you're just a worrisome poorfag, keep driving it and if it continues take it to the dealer.

true. so i just randomly smelt it while driving i didnt think of checking closer to the vents. After getting out i wafted from the hood scoop and wafted from the exhaust, both smelt the same although the hood scoop was more prominent

I'd advise washing it and driving around on actual roads. Sounds like something external if you're smelling it on the outside of the car, so if you drive around on the streets and it doesn't get stronger or anything it's safe to assume you got some gross nature on your car.

ironically i just got it washed yesterday. Do you think its some weird soap or spray wax they used that could have gotten under the hood?

Maybe? I dunno what smells like old metallic fish except my dirty cock honestly, but it's possible something like that got in and made the smell when it got heated up.

There's all sorts of paints and coatings and shit on new parts, I bet just a combination of brakes and you getting the car nice and warm and some shit they sprayed around the exhaust baking a little.

Maybe. Most likely it's just new-ish plastic getting hot for the first few times and outgassing. New cars have all sorts of weird smells.

Fuckin paint on the exhaust of my scoot smelled real funky the first few hundred miles when it would get hot. Finally whatever it was just burnt off and was all good.

Gotta love those burning chemical smells.

thanks for the legit responses i appreciate it. So you guys think driving it a little hard is a bad idea? I dont like the idea of babying a "performance" car but if its unwise to let er rip ill take it easy for the time being

Nah that shit is gonna get warm eventually. You would probably get the same smells sitting in rush hour traffic on a summer afternoon. It will go away.

Nah, should be just fine. It was built for that kind of treatment anyhow. Better to break in all the materials now and get it over with in my opinion.

>I spent 36k on a car even though I don't know anything about cars
>I'm also going to be very vague about the problem
>Help me you fucker!!

>I hate people because they aren't as experienced in mechanics as I am

Don't ever become a mechanic

It's a machine, it lets off smells when it works.

it's a subaru, keep the maintenance up on it and you'll be fine.

only real issue i have with the newer STIs is the outdated engine. but my 2016 STI has been reliable as fuck and I've driven it all over the place.

TLDR: smells are normal, smoke is not

Probably all the things mentioned already. Could be fuel from being on boost hard but dunno if that's normal on stock cars. Either way I wouldn't worry about it. Checking a dedicated sti forum would probably give you a more clear answer if you really care

super heated stock brake pads that went from super mega hot to sitting still with no airflow because u didnt do a cooldown lap

Mine smells the same way OP. I bought a 2016 STI limited and now it has 5500 miles on it

It got worse after I put on a ETS Catback.

Its probably just oils in the resonator.

What color did you get btw? Pic related mine

>Honestly smelt like a tuna sandwich with some coins mixed in.
good thread

Oils being burned off*

Eventually it went away after a few thousand miles