/ORG/

Welcome to /O f f r o a d G e n e r a l/ where the flex is made up and traction doesn't matter

Post offroading stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hyNshwyrtGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for yota masterrace

>org hitting image limit
wew

New front bumper and ordering winch plate and winch.
>tfw not enough friends so I have to get a winch for solo trips and 2wd bros

seems to be happening consistently now
fucking gay

Thread turnover is a good thing

This.

Much better than starting an offroad thread, getting called a faggot twice, and then being archived 20 hours later (LIKE HAS HAPPENED TWICE!!).

[spoiler]I changed my yelp review for Veeky Forums from 2/10 to 9/10 after the offroad threads started booming again and the mountain goat poster keeps coming back[/spoiler]

>tfw no 6 figure terrain taming beast
why even live?

He does seem like a cool guy.

youre right i guess it means more people are participating

kek i know
i am the one who actually started these - was a slow start to say the least
myself and a few others have been persistent though and it seems to be sticking somewhat
fingers crossed.

>license plate on the front of the roof rack

Keeps from getting pulled over for having mud all over the plate

>tfw got pulled over for having a mud covered plate in my old Prelude

He IS a cool guy. Here's to hoping we can keep him around long enough so his wifey starts posting and gets her own little Jeep or Geo (Geopp?). Fuck, that'd be adorable.

I've wanted to do that but I don't have fog light add ons. I am getting new foglights, though. My local all-bases shoppe only has $50 fog lights and my mechanic quoted me $250 for some "really good" fog lights that most of his people mount into their sides.
He read off a bunch of numbers to me that I don't understand.

Advice pls?

I never post but I lurk every thread. I go wheeling with my friends every month or so and am hoping to get something in the next few months then I'll start posting. Bye guys.

Anybody off road a 2wd?
Looking to lift my 124k 93 burb 2wd

>mudding in a lewd

/org/ meet when?

Any other Nissan off-roaders here?

cool man! what are you leaning towards getting?

lol this gets asked every thread now
it can be done and you could be ok if you are just doing mild forest roads
personally i wouldnt start piling money into a 2wd though it is fairly limiting and you most likely wont ee happy with it in a short period of time. sell it, get a proper 4wd with low range and then upgrade fromt here

A guy my brother went to school with used to go mudding in a Taurus. He was telling me stories of him and his shitbox that had me spitting my drink out.

sounds fun as fuck desu

Follow your dreams

The guys I got out with are jeepers but I'm open to anything. I have a special place for 6th gen Toyota pick ups though so who knows

Why is everyone so cool in these threads?

>yfw it wont last forever and it will become a shithole like the rest of Veeky Forums in a few short weeks

I used to do it in my old I5 2010 S-10 (it was called a Colorado by then) but kept getting it stuck. It was nice to offroad if you had the traction and some chains. Otherwise, continuously getting stuck was an issue. I learned a lot on how not to get stuck because of the fear of getting stuck, though. I would recommend it to start with and maybe go with some friends.
Protip: rachet sets work OK for light towing out of ditches. They also snap at the felt and therefore do not kill people if they break. Use four at a time (minimum). You wouldn't be getting really stuck if you're offroading with a 2WD anyway.

Reminds me of my mechanic today who got a call. He's doing a $10 000 engine swap on some guy's Colorado I4 for V6.
I told him that I just bought a Ranger after thinking about putting a V8 in my Colorado and looking at the prices. Still, the I5 had a nice sound to it...

a lot of people itt (myself included) are toyota biased so its definitely what i prefer.
however heeps get a lot of hate - some of which is for no reason. they are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and have enormous aftermarkets so i do see the point of owning one

Want do you guys think about having a roof rack over a soft top on my yj? Looking to expand my packing space, and want to keep jerry cans on the roof and not inside or jankly srewed onto the back.

>like pic related
guy who owns this jeep has a youtube but is a super normie vlogger guy.

What* do you guys think

its because everyone in the offroad community is laid back and supportive

>except for the shitty rednecks who leave bud light cans allover the trails in the beautiful forest
seriously fuck those guys

>jerry cans on roof
wew
better not flip my man

currently inside, feelsbadman

>Just meet with your local offroading guys
That's not as fun as meeting with a bunch of cringey memesters from Veeky Forums. Trust me, I've been to both kinds of the event.

I feel like that needs at least one support in the middle, but hey I'm no engineer.

Is it an I4 or an I6? If I6, get a semi-hitch rack. Though, you can easily pull it off with an I4 still but slightly less safe due to muh weight distribution.
If I4, that sounds like a great idea. Have you already removed the back two seats? I would also recommend putting the rack on a hardtop and not the softtop (unless, of course, you live in a place where you don't actually need a hardtop)

We're the winches of society! ^__^

are you not dicked if you flipped in the first place?

>tfw i4, and when hard tops are like 2k with half doors and insulation.

I did take my rear seats out and in multiple times now, only 4 bolts and a 2 for the lap belt. lmao. It's a bit of a squeeze when trailing with one other person in the car, and solo I think I would pack the same because longer trips. And not being super restrictive on gear.

I pulled the 110 out of the yard and into the driveway, hopefully I can get a tow and take it to the shop this week. I need to do a clutch on it and the body shop needs take care of some other issues. Hoping that we can do all the work over winter so that next spring it'll be ready for off road fun again.

>pic related
>my reaction to your comment
Gathering here next Tuesday when I go ducc hunting. Come along, senpai.

Lmao. Most of my closest friends go on /pol/ and /leftypol/ and /420chan/'s drug boards because they didn't have friends. They told me to go on /k/ around a year ago and soon after that Veeky Forums. I feel like cringey memesters would be cancerous as shit and everyone's rude to each other ):

Meh. Toss on a winch mount to balance the weight out. They're called "trailer cargo carriers".

Hey - what's with the aftermarket tan paint?

not my jeep, but its a late model yj with a cj hood and grill, he probably bought it like that or got it military spraid.

Didn't realize I was generating a fanclub. Much love. That's a rare thing on the Chan. Unironic ありがとうございます to you all. (Wifey is Japanese. Gonna get me a Jimny fo' sho' if we ever move back.)

This is from the goats first real run. (Ouray CO, posted previously). Stock except for wheels. Lifted it and swapped the front auto locking hubs for manuals subsequently.

Pic related: Goat then

That is the most stiff, enthusiastic, solid thumbs up I've ever seen/

can anyone tell me what the fuck this push bar is?

Pic related: goat now

Rocky mountain high. No jokes.

After 11 years STI, I traded in my faithful Samurai subaru, and moved on to Trucks. Will never drive a car again after either

>Pic Related, my 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road, 6speed manual.
>Dealer options Predator side steps, Mud-Flaps, Interior all-weather mats, Chrome exhaust tip
> I also optioned TRD catback exhaust, TRD cold air intake, and TRD drop in air filter were on back order, expected to ship any day

best thumbs up

Instrument shot

Fog light advice still needed pls.

I-I-I-I don't know what this means but I'll try to answer:
Looks like a regular frame mounted pushbar you can get aftermarket (though due to the dullness, might be custom) with from tow hooks for general rigidity in bad situations.

I-I-I-I don't know what that means but I'll try to answer:
:D

I THOUGHT it looked off. I wasn't going to embarrass myself by guessing the model incorrectly so I just called it "le Jeep", lol.
Honestly, I think I'm just being paranoid. 1000lbs onto the back with a cargo carrier really shouldn't be an issue. If you're doing some moderate trails, consider getting it built kinda like: along with him getting a winch plate as well.

>two land rover defenders
>a series (1??)
Geez. As much as that is a dream, how do you find a body shoppe to do them at a reasonable price?
Still. Lub me a defender.

Mmmmmm. I love the taste of banana mags and tacos in the morning.

I'll take that as a compliment. Doggo and wifey special for you user.

Crawl angle gyroscope function. Shows you incline/decline angle, as well as your lateral lean for climbing, crawling and other wheeling exploits

I am the guy with the new bumper and asking about the rack lmao

>Will never drive a car again after either
curious as to why? My goal is to eventually be able to own both a nice off-road vehicle as well as a track car, a truck to pull both of those, and then a nice daily driver.

Also unless it's a law in your state, I'd take off the mud flaps. And why the side steps on such a small truck? If anything, get amps. Otherwise, nice pick up, user.

always room for improvement

I could have done better with the shot, but the factory wheels are actually kind of nice, no joke.

Have you done anything fun with yours yet ?

>two land rover defenders
>a series (1??)

Actually, that pic is a Defender ans 2 IIAs. As for a body shop, I work at a place that is a repair and body shop. Been in the town for +40 years. It's not any more expensive to do body work on a Land Rover than it is any other car.

side steps and mud flaps look cool to me.

Painfully obvious, no doubt, but The STI and the Tacoma are very similiar yet very different and for me the choice became extremely easy.

I live in Indiana, a 4 season state, so having the AWD/4WD is a must for a "car"guy. In the STI I could jet around the streets and have my literal way with traffic. I commute 27 miles each way from my home in the country sub-urbs to downtown indianapolis where I work. I could pass, block, switch lanes, blast through gaps, hit the county roads high-speed, 2 lane country roads like a GT TOUR and cruise city streets like miami vice, but years of Dodging pot-holes, dodging every single obstruction in the road, and the sheer damage shitty roads and conditions do to your DD over the years took its toll on my STI.

>pic related, daily driven, NEVER modified, 1 owner 152k when I traded in (got 8k).

Now with the TRD, ill literally drive right over a curb if I want to, cut through a corn field, monster truck over shit, bully my way through the traffic, jam snow or water and just bulldoze, all while retaining the 6 speed stick shift feel of being one with the car. IM going to make it my Street-trophy truck over time. IT will essentially do all the same things my STI was used for, but with far more durability and Strength. I use my shit and am not afraid what happens to it.

The Tacoma is hardcore man. Expensive, but very very capable. Would hate to scratch it up, though.

I tried to find an old-school Ball-in-liquid compass/level and there wasn't much to choose from. Digital likely out of my price range (would use that for a new, high-end-ish battery, which is important when you camp in remote places, at altitude, in cold climates. You wanna be sure you can leave if you must.)

I'm very envious. And yes, those wheels are just right.

Where are you taking (or have taken) it? Pics?

Not yet, I got it previous Tuesday (Election Day) and am still waiting for my Cat-back and CAI to arrive before I really get into it. Plus im doing the whole "1000 mile" break-in-per-manual" by the books. I take shit like that serious even though you Factory break in's arent really a thing or necessary for most cars. And I know others are encouraged to rip on a vehicle when its new too, but my Manual says for the first 1k miles dont go crazy on it, so im doing what it says. Its hard as fuck not to though, the truck is begging me to BJ baldwin it through town.

I went out to ocotillo wells and anza borrego to go 4x4ing in the jeep, dude was out there with a 2016 tocoma trd 4x4 with the dealer plate still on it going up diablo's drop off.

That Desert tan is fucking fire BTW and is the color I would have ordered had the car gods not shined on me and dropped the one I found on a lot in my lap.

I can still smell the "new car smell" linger in my garage when i go out to it in the morning.

I guess that since I've never DDd a sports car and currently drive an Xterra also with a 6 spd manual I do take for granted everything you're saying but I just feel it's slow and sluggish and want the power of a sports car sometimes.

I guess my only possible comeback is 'muh wheelbase'.

Nice fooking truck. Come back and post pics when you get her dirty.

Black looks good too man. Too hot for az imo.

Noice.

Brought home this 72 Jeep commando the other day for $1800.

304amc/th400, Dana 20 and d30/d44. Brand new 35in tires as well

for sure. I made small alter for the snow gods this year too. Bring that polar vortex back.

Toyota (or someone) made a sweet propaganda film for the TRD PRO in Alaska, tearing ass on snow trails with it. I had 3 day boner imagining what my first deep snow this year will be like for the TRD. I got a "personal day" im saving for the the first snow day/night specifically for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=hyNshwyrtGY

Muh dick

Runs and drives, but I need to replumb the fuel system after I clean up this tank.

Also need to find a passenger side D44 for the front, and upgrade some other stuff

As an autistic foamer, I easily forget that holy FUCK trains are massive. And that's not a small car you have there either.

>When you frankly boutta waste a mothafucka

My instrumentation panel > yours

tfw you are on a trail next to a train and it vibrates the ground like mad

>take jeep liberty offroading for the first time
>damn thing can take some serious hits on the undercarriage pretty well even though it's stock
>took a few hard hits
>only one of them actually hurt anything and it was the transmission pan
I need to lift this thing stat

Step it up

holy shit big image. woops.

fucking SWEET. I've been looking for a heep like this for the past 3 months.
just spent $1250 on some 4inch larger duratrecs instead where i could've bought the local two throwout YJs and made them into one that's actually rideable. ah well - work ranger comes before fun jeep.
wouldn't hesitate to get an old 70s jeep in that condition, though. i'll keep looking for people to hopefully clear out their garages and find a commando or CJ to throw out for cheap. doesn't seem likely since am in canada ):

Carb transplant?
Upgraded coils?
Softtop soon?
How are the camshafts?
Are those aluminium wheels?

I. Uh. Can't.
I lent my other two Taylor Swift albums to this grill and she still hasn't given them back yet.

In Toronto, we still have archaic streetcars [spoiler] and are building more street car connexions [/spoiler] so if you dribe on the same tracks, the vibrations are absolutely horrendous. Not as bad as actual track dribing but the oscillations are actually maddening as it creates this one, unique sound.

S K I D P L A T E
take a piece of sheet metal to a welder that charges $60/hour. Get the dimensions made and install the large skid plate yourself.

Though, as much as I love knocking muh trucc out of gear with a really rough transmission hit, I know it's horrible for the thing. Watch out for differential hits. A moderate ding to it and you won't be able to actually dribe the thing due to gear impacts.
Armour yourself, user.

im driving a celica right now but a lot of 4x4 toyotas where i live are crazy expensive cause everyone wants one. what are you driving?

My 02 Silverado after my brother and I did some wheelin

diablos dropoff is fun af man

Probably swapping to HEI ignition from the points that are in it. It'll also get a cage/softtop for the summer.

Also probably going to use monstaliner inside and out instead of paint.

Same truck with new poser wheels and a fresh wash

02 Suburban 4x4 faggit here

All it has are rims and tires. Fucking thing climbs anything and everything. New truck coming to my collection of my suburban and bmw

Best way to coat bare steel after-market bumper?

>2wd bros
Eyy

>S K I D P L A TE
That's the thing. Being the poorfag I am, I'm saving up to get an OME lift for it, but as it is now I can afford a skid plate. Should I get the skid plate now?

the mudflaps protect agains rocks chipping the sill paint that causes sill rust

Are you just going to disk it? That really shouldn't be expensive. The otherside is getting 2-4 inch larger tyres which should give you 1-2 inch lift. This is normally enough for larger rocky hits and doesn't take a toll on your suspension as a result. What tyres do you have on right now?

Skidplates can also get expensive and sectional skid plates (easier to place on and remove) are pretty expensive per piece due to individual cuts, bolts, and how no one gets them.
I'm looking at getting a giant piece of titanium shopped and moulded to just fit under my Rangercc in order to have a one piece, light skid plate. But that'd be in the range of around $600-$1000 which is actually more than a lift kit.

Speaking of which. Plans later this week: untorsion my front, level my back, put on those duratrecs for muh 2 inch lift simply from the tyres.

How would a Hummer H2 compare off road to a gasoline full size truck? I'm looking at going from a land barge sedan to a $20k or under truck. Been researching H2 and it's hard to find any honest discussion on them. I'm fully aware they don't compete with a jeep. But compared to a truck they are much shorter (shorter than my sedan even) have greater approach and departure angles, standard skid plates. Doesnt it seem like a bargain?

>What tyres do you have on right now?
stock tires, P235/65R 29"

You mentioned that they don't compete with a Jeep. Why not get that one? Or a relatively cheaper Toyota or equivalent.
If you're dead-set on an SUV, anyway. But a standard cab truck does make a great offroader and easily customisable if you can consider it.

Why look at the H2 with all the available other options with so many more after-market customisations and possibilities?

28'' winters and seeing if the 32 duratracs will fit / offroad well enough that i don't have to do too much suspension changes
plus it's about damn time i get rid of these winter tyres. wondering if i should spend the extra $700 on steel wheels, too.

Holy shit. I just realised that you were answering my question and not actually asking me about my tyres.
Yeah, if you had 26s or 28 summer tyres on, you might be able to get some extra inches by switching to 30or so. But 29 is already pushing it.

Remember that if you lift higher than 2 inches, you'll have to swap out the tyres. If you lift higher than 4 inches, you'll have to change maybe the differential and do some chassis modification. Then you'll be paying a bit more for gas mileage depending on the tyre and wheel samples.
It doesn't just stop with a lift kit.

Because I like the land barge and v8 feels. My gf wants a jeep or a half ton Silverado, I like them too but not planning on owning one. My thinking is that this truck or h2 will get us started on camping and adventuring until she buys a Jeep/truck herself and then I go back to cars.

I'm not sure how much mods I'd do. I still want it daily drivable and it seems like the h2 has a lot already standard.

Not really a classic land barge but I do know what you mean. If the continental is a land yacht, the H2 would be a land frigate. The width could be a small issue but not as much as the H1.
Have you considered old, practical Suburban, K5s, Ramchargers, and the lot? 2 door SUVs are sure as hell more comfier, reliable, and better offroaders. And for the price, you'll be able to fine a pristine one, too.

The benefit of these vehicles is that they'll also retain or increase their value 2-4 years down the line when you try to sell them (good luck wanting to let go of them!).

A modded old SUV has more driver engagement than modern SUVs. They're easier to mod and teach you about vehicles in general as well.

Will be getting a 1982 k10 here in a few weeks. Gona be a ground up project, won't be a show truck just a badass weekend warrior off road truck
May not look that good from the pic but it's got a really clean frame which is hard to find here in ohio

Changing differential? You mean gear ratio right?
Anyways when doing lifts the higher you go the more you have to do
Typical things are brake lines and drive shafts.
Sometimes you'll have to drop the tcase or transmission an inch or 2.
Gear ratios are optional but recommended due to bigger tires effectively changing the gearing of the truck so something along the limes of going from a 3.73 to a 4.10
On jeeps you'll run into issues with the slip yokes so an SYE kit is highly recommended.
Not to mention axles depending on the size of the tire. Dana 35 axles for example don't typically go well with 35" tires

Wanted to give some more info on the truck and my general plans with it.
It's currently a 350 small block with th350 trans and np205
It comes with a rust free cab which I'm gonna swap over. Will take the old doors and either chop them down into half doors or use them as a base to build tube doors off of.
Will be doing an LS swap but getting rid of the EFI and running a carb setup because I'd rather rely on as little electronics as possible.
My buddy has a k20 he's Gona let me steal parts from I mostly plan on taking the axles which if I remember right are 5.13 gears and locked could be wrong on that though but still better than the stock ones.
Will be getting a 6 inch lift with 35s.
I have a buddy who is gonna paint the whole truck. Gonna paint the frame with bed liner, bottom 4 inches of the body will be bed liner as well, then the rest of the body will probably be a gloss black or gun metal grey. Interior of the cab will be bed liner as well then probably dynamat to hopefully keep it quiet in the cab.
Gonna pick up a Lund visor on eBay because I love how they look.
I know I'm probably forgetting a few things but that's the general idea of what I'm doing

Anyone know if the harbor freight winch meme is true? Buying a harbor freight winch and relining it with synthetic line?