/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Minotaur steak edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fcbazH6aE2g
pastebin.com/HBaVsc1Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Cobaltite.

Stenfags on suicide watch

There are worse choices of rockfu.

it's a mineral you dip

I'm so glad you're back. Here's another rock for you, friend.

Will just playing the game with base knowledge for a couple of hours improve my understanding of it or do I have to keep on reading drawn out guides until I become proficient enough to play from the start.

The game seems best with multiple forts of trial and error

Base game + wiki for details you want to know more about is the best way. Guides are usually a waste of time, since they're often tailored after one specific play style..

◊◊◊
◊◊◊
◊◊◊

nice

do some gneiss next

‡‡‡

how about a nice granite cliff with a pegmatite vein going through it?

Mmmm, fuck yeah, I'm almost close, if you hook a brotha up with a shiny slab of black volcanic glass next I'm not gonna Vesuvius, no, I'm not even gonna Krakatow, in a million years the shit that evolves from the mantis shrimps which crawl up on land will be calling it the Cumberland Trap Eruption and assume it took hundreds of thousands of years to build up to that point.

Oh, believe me, I now know that there was absolutely no exaggeration, that shit happened, and they doubtlessly flipped their shit trying to figure out why the fuck they ended up with wings in some fucking cavern under the northwest end of the map.

I ended up getting out by taking control of a demon, making it a proper adventurer, and hoofing it far enough out that I could travel again. Fucked up shit.

Embark location can affect the knowledge needed. If your new you should probably start at an embark with soil and no aquifer. While all the mechanics are interconnected, you can learn them one at a time at your own pace since the ONLY things you need to know to survive is how to dig, build stuff, and acquire liquor and food.

watch a LP if anyone you like happens to have done one. I suggest Joel, plays like a retard, but watching him is entertaining.

Is it possible to make a self-powering pump stack? I was thinking of using a dwarf for the initial power than using the water pulled out to turn a waterwheel to power the pumps. Trying to pierce an aquifer here.

why do elves have such african sounding names, is there a sociopolitical subtext to the game?

>black volcanic glass

‡°°‡°°‡
‡°°‡°°‡

Elves are faggot liberals kill all elves.

>Inscribed on a flaky greyish white "volcanic" stone found near a fossilized ape which seems to have turned inside out
>"dat glass"

Never thought about them sounding african, more like what goddamn fucking hippies thought african names would sound like when mixed with acid flashbacks of watching LotR two years ago so you wind up with some fucking kid who has to explain that you can just call him "eli" instead of "ell-eye-ye-ay" or whatnot.

No idea, but this gave me an idea. Could you make an automatic magma pump, powering every z-level with a waterwheel that gets moved by water from a river? How do waterwheels even work?

do mica now, please

stop whoring neindots. You will scare him away

Yes and no, pump perpetual motion engine is a thing but you will suffer loss of momentum along moving down z levels

>stop whoring neindots
as a russian, he probably has a repressed sexuality, he should be fine.

plus, it's cool as fuck actually having him be this prolific here in the thread. the fags at bay12 are wondering why he never posts anymore, and here in /dfg/ we're getting spoiled almost everyday.

Indeed, they is our precious drawfags, and frightening them will be met with... well, severely long and well formed discussions about how fucked up that is, before it descends into another round of minotaur vs antqueen vying for contender as runner up to the obviously superior Senshi.

i have to go now but you should have it next week

Funny fact: I'm about to use collapsing floors in order to turn a lake into a giant underground aquarium.

Wish me luck lads!

good luck

That's a weird way to announce your plans to us. "Funny fact..."

Good luck though, looking forward to seeing the result.

nice! never stop running!

drawfags are one of the best things in /dfg/ desuõnesto

Why is she squashed?? very lewd

How many drawfags here? I only know ninedots and drew, but I've noticed some other pics floating around.

After seeing all these ninerocks, I'm curious as to what microcline by ninedots would look like. Is this what we have devolved to, a bunch of nerds asking for drawings of rocks. Truly we live in a weird time.

There are one or two other reclusive ones, and frownanon.

bumb

Is there an imgur gallery or other collection of the cool stuff posted on this general? Or a compilation for each drawfag I guess?

some user said he was going to post his collection on imgur, no idea if he ever did it.

I know of Timbukdrew, Ninedots, Frownanon, and the guy who did sketches for the tourney. Other drawfag posts are few and far between.

The preparations are complete.

All that remains is to pull that lever.

>green glass

Hows dog as a source of meat? they require no upkeep and seem to have decent birthrates. Been using them as a supplement with Plump Helmets and it seems to be going fine, its just that I wonder if theres a better no upkeep meat source as I don't want my animals to be grazing above ground for certain reasons. I swear my dwarves aren't asian.

In order to celebrate the opening properly, I burrowed all dorfs onto the site.

Now let's pull that lever.

Dog tastes fine IRL as does cat, don't really see why people have a shit fit over it. As for in game dog makes an alright food resource, not as good of a bread winner as hunting though. If you don't like your animals grazing above ground you could always pasture them below in the caverns.

And there you have it. Sadly, no fishies have moved in yet, but I'm sure they will as soon as the water stops moving.

This is the sort of stuff I come to this general for

The fishies are finally starting to show up.

First off: a lungfish.

A truly dwarven endeavour. Shame it isn't square though.

All that space

>a lung fish

The sooner we have an aquatic civ that trades in sea life like the elves do with land fauna, the sooner we can have proper seaworld style aquariums for our dwarves to dine beside.

Now the second floor is completely furnished, too. There is no fish there, though. Maybe vermin fish always seek the lowest point?

I think vermin fish just have weird spawn/wander quirks. The few times I've paid attention they always seem to be in the same places.
Also lungfish can swim/walk on land/fly so I'd discount them.

How does the aquarium work? Is it just connected to the ocean or is it like a one-way entrance with no way for the fish to get out? One of my main dieties in my current fort is related to the sea or something like that, so what better way to worship him than with a sea-serpent in the temple?

We've also got archaeolanon with their maps and stories of the sites they visit!

I completely approve, given all the shit I do like this in campsites, but the best part to me is that you had the whole fort waiting right there, so if anything got fucked up and backfired they'd all get a front row seat, bravo on the comfy setup.

Goddammit, the realization of what has actually taken place hit me just as I was trying to cough and I choked on one of those painful half-burp/half-cough/feels like a rock in your chest gulps of air, dick move man.

There, finally a non-lungfish. That yellow guy is a clow loach.

I just build a huge floor above the water and collapsed it down into the aquarium. I had already mined out the entire aquarium from the inside, leaving only the thin floor at the lake floor.

>We've also got archaeolanon with their maps and stories of the sites they visit!
Who?

I finished more tests

Out of 100 rounds, the human with the two-handed sword won 38 times and the human with the short sword 62 times, they were both using steel weapons and armor, and no skills.

With grand master weapon and armor user skills, the human with the two-handed sword won 40 times and the human with the short sword 60 times.

Well, for the first time in these tests I've actually seen weapon degradation.

Sometimes, when one of the humans passes out from exhaustion, the other one will keep attacking his head, without removing the helm first or choking him instead, and he does this until he either finally decides to remove the helm, or the unconscious human bleeds to death or suffocates because of previous lung damage.

In this test I've seen that, if the human with the short sword decides to do this after the human with the two-handed sword passes out, his weapon will degrade after enough hits, it can reach maximum wear level, but I haven't seen it break.

I don't know why it only happened to the short sword, it didn't happen to two-handed swords, long swords or halberds, maybe size has something to do with it?

That's interesting. There hasn't been much written up about weapon/armour degradation.

You know, its really cool how DF has no graphics, so you can imagine it in whatever style you want. It can be realistic, anime, disney-style, line art, what have you. Also, you can pretend that armor of the same metal made in different civs has aesthetic differences since there's no proof otherwise.

>maybe size has something to do with it?
I've suspected that for a while. I've had weapons degrade in adv mode, but the only weapons I've actually seen break are daggers NPCs are using.

>Also, you can pretend that armor of the same metal made in different civs has aesthetic differences since there's no proof otherwise.
this.

that's one of the greatest things about timbukdrew's art. the clothing in his art is extremely diverse. with the vague descriptions and names we get in the game, it's pretty easy to imagine the same diversity as you see in timbukdrews pics. firearms are the ONE exception.

Seeing all this blood and gore drawn disney style would be horrific.

Damn, why are the 2handers weaker? I would have guessed they'd fare better against armour due to the extra weight, but so far they've lost to pretty much everything.

youtu.be/fcbazH6aE2g

My guess is they are heavier and slower to swing, so the shortsword is able to land hits more often than the zweihander.

Ah, good point. I guess you don't need to slice off a hand to render a combatant unable to wield their weapon, just slice some nerves. Maybe Toady could buff the heavier weapons by making them slightly harder to block or something?

Fuck, can't find any of the images of his since I left them with his filename format and nothing I tried pulled them up in my toogoddamnhuge df/andwhatnot/folder.

He drew like explorer's notebook/journal entries, maybe I went with indianon jones the first time? Really neat little idea with a surprising amount of attention to detail so everything is really familiar when you've wandered through various towns and lairs and such. Though I did get this done for me!

Short swords are just as good at tearing muscles through armor as two-handed swords, it can even happen on the first hit.

I also thought that a heavier weapon would be better against armor, but it doesn't seem like that's the case here.

Close to what I imagine but, not quite. It certainly feels disney but, I had more of a silver and bronze age (60s, 70s, and 80s) disney artstyle in my head.

Pigs are also a good "no upkeep" source of meat. Pigs don't graze, so you can stick a couple in a small room with a bare stone floor and leave them for a couple years without any issues. Can also milk the females for a source of milk and cheese.

Wait are you on about the guy who posted the neat little adventure he went on? With sketches of the human town and temple?
Sadly I don't seem to have those saved.

What the fuck is going on in there Jesus Christ

IIRC, it all started out with an user cracking some shitty pun about "goblins" and "goblets".

Who made that one? It doesn't look like the style of any regular drawfag.

Dunno, some brilliant soul.

How do I train speech skills in adv mode? I want to convince my fellow gobbos about the virtues of law, order, fuck nature, and martial prowess, but everytime I state my values either they agree or the rare argument I get into doesn't give me much xp. I just want to be a goblin senator ;_;

If the people you argue with come from the same civ, they're likely to share some common ground with you, value-wise. I recommend that play the devil's advocate by propagating values you don't actually have. This is sure to stir up some discussion.

>the rare argument I get into doesn't give me much xp
That can't be helped. It's the only way to learn.

>constantly kill people for entertainment and wallow in dwarven despair in fortress mode
>get emotional when my adventurer dies
You were too good for the Realms of Prophecy, Fuji. RIP

I havent had too much time to keep the fort going, but i've added a few buildings, each with a roof and beds (possibly basements to come). Theres now a brewery, woodworking shop, pottery, farmhouse, clothiers shop, and a seed stockpile next to the sunberry plantation. Soon the road will be paved with earthenware bricks, and my tavern with have a nice clay floor. I've got a bunch of human mercs in my militia, and they already fought off a raiding party of 5 goblin bowmen. Sadly, the cougar I bought from the elves was accidentally butchered, along with most of my hens. rip.

I got it. So I'm going to go to human, dwarf, and elf civs and persuade them to dislike martial prowess and law while persuading my fellow goblins to become fierce warriors and conquer the barbarians that had descended into chaos.
do personality traits actually influence stuff like them training their skills or is it just flavor? the wiki doesn't tell much on that

It's not just flavour. Strong discrepancies in values between civs can lead to bad relations and even war.

However, values like respect for martial prowess doesn't affect civs on that level yet. The only value that has a "real" effect on civ behaviour is the view on knowledge. Civs which don't value knowledge won't build libraries.

pretty sure thats the unnamed tourney drawfig

speaking of the tourney, new one soon? since it's a new month

That depends on tourney-user, but ye i'm keen. If he can't for whatever reasons, i'm sure one of these fine anons can organise it.

WTF

ninedots spoke again.

this is the first time I've seen so many words from him.

He did it great last time, I'd prefer a repeat

Why can't I ever get a cute human dancer in my fort, /dfg/?

The only one that wasn't jewnosed and kind of cute was missing a cheek.

Ok, I did another test

I have made a race which are minotaurs but with the default attribute range (200:700:900:1000:1100:1300:2000]), which is the ones human use, I think. They are called "minos".

Out of 50 rounds the minotaur won 43 times and the mino 7, they both had no armor and weapons and the natural skills of minotaurs.

So, yes, I'd say attributes are pretty important, I still don't know if the attributes of arena creatures are randomized or they just start at the average of their attribute range.

he said his name was DoubleDonionRings

she sounds hot. post pics you saucy mongrel

>post pics
had a laugh, not gonna lie

She's gone now. She was skiny, with long hair, an upturned nose and some other things.

Also, here's the raw of the mino pastebin.com/HBaVsc1Q

I thought that was the default attribute range for physical attributes for humans. Not every attribute.

The wiki page says the humans' median attribute values are always 1000, it doesn't say if it's only for physical attributes, but if you check the soul attribute it says that 1000 is the human average.

Ah. Must have been a case of me remembering wrong.

Also, as far as I know. Attributes in arena are average.

No trip, on mobile.

I'm going through some family matters currently. I was reluctant to do it again but, I will start sign ups for another one either next week or the week after since you guys want another one.

We do still need to get some things straight before we go through with this. General concensus is that creatures on the small end of the points scale should recieve a buff. If this is the case then a new racial points chart needs to be made for the rules doc, not really my realm of expertise.

They're not. The time it takes to make an attack is defined for each attack on the weapon in the raws. The majority of attacks have [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3], including every attack for both short swords and two-handed swords. Whips are the only vanilla weapons with a slower attack.