UCL and dual additives

Are they all snake oil or do they actually have any positives effects?

*fual additives

Fuel
Just fuck me up senpai

I don't get better mpg but it does effect how my truck revs.

Lucas oil is considered a good brand for additives. I've used their transmission conditioner and 2 years later my tranny still hasn't blown up or anything. I bought giant bottles of the fuel stuff but I got bored of putting it in all the time. I don't feel any difference. Lucas oil fuel additive is very much different than the others. Most others are solvents, Lucas is actually oil based. I think what you're really doing is making the gasoline more oily which has some advantages.

They will help your injectors and fuel system.
If you have some old car you'll benefit from it.

I have a Z31, I've done all the required maintenance and replaced most components. I add fuel injector and fuel system treatment and get 18 mpg around Miami. Its a 30 year old car and was originally rated to 15 mpg city so I think the stuff works as long as you keep everything in check.

I've noticed improvements with injector cleaners, though octane boosters and "tune-up in a bottle" kind of stuff seems like a crock of shit

I know from experience that putting Sea Foam in your gas will clean out a carburetor that's sat for too long. I imagine it would have a simaler effect on dirty fuel injectors.

Other membership car forums had reviewed various fuel additives. Notably, the additives that had detergents to clean the engine versus toptier gasoline's additives. First of all, the bottles are not 100% additive in some cases. The highest percentage of over the counter PEA additive was ReGane Fuel System Cleaner (not the fuel injector cleaner which has no PEA) with TechRon being in the lower half of the evaluated PEA additives.

Once you have an idea of the percentage, if it is an 8 ounce bottle and it has 50% actual active ingredient, then what you have is 4%. Now, you know the size in gallons of your gas tank. 4 ounces of additive in that many number of gallons gives you a percentage.

Since the EPA minimum for detergent is published and one of the toptier gas providers states its amount up front at being 5X the EPA minimum requirement, you know the percentage of PEA additive in Costco fuel. So, does adding even the 4 ounces of additive compare to just buying it from Costco in the first place? Or will adding the ReGane bottle (which costs quite a bit) be economically competitive?

No they wont. It's a complete fucking sham. If you want to help your injectors, take them out and put them in an ultrasonic bath.

>I'm a costco cuck, please only buy fuel from costco

Costco lets you use cards at the pump, so that is another plus. I hate places that charge another fee.

Not everyone needs or should use the maximum effort type solution to keep their cars going.

Using pic related just a bit every fillup and I stick with chevron since Shell sometimes adds some roughness to my idle, otherwise runs great.

Wish I ran an oil catch can sooner though.

>Are they all snake oil or do they actually have any positives effects?

There is an alternate view. You need to have a problem that uses that solution. If you misdiagnose the problem, then you end up using a solution for which the problem doesn't exist. You'd feel that it did nothing for you and then tell everyone it was snake oil. Was that the fault of the fuel additive (lucas, seafoam, regane, walmart supertech, etc)?

This is a good point.

Thats why I take some online reviews with a grain of salt... some people ask too much of these things. Also some people expect fast results when it might be the result is only meaningful if you use __ product chronically.

>Are they all snake oil or do they actually have any positives effects?
The bottles look so small. And not all of the bottle is the active ingredient. The highest percentage of active ingredient is 3M (not over the counter) followed by ReGane Fuel System Cleaner. Adding it to the gas tank seems like it would barely be half of the amount that top tier gas already gives to you as part of the gas purchase.

What also doesn't help is that a lot of the 8 ounce additive bottles used to be 12 ounces a number of years ago with apparently the same concentration. That was their way of holding the retail price steady which deceptively prevents price inflation.

As for SeaFoam, there was a reasonable reverse engineering of the percentage contents. That was published in a nice forum thread elsewhere. The articles were linked in some prior Veeky Forums threads

my car runs better with octane booster

>my car runs better with octane booster
Those bottles are pretty small for the cost. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy toluene and add some of that to the gas as the octane booster additive?

Is that an American thing? In Canada we don't have to pay 3xtra for using cards, just tap to preauthorize for $100 and fill her up

I run this shit in all my transmissions. doesn't really do much for manual boxes, but it works wonders in worn-out autos.

>have 90 civic auto shitbox
>tranny bangs like fuck when shifting
>literally buckles the roof sheetmetal
>constant terrible grinding noise
>add a bottle of this shit when I changed the fluid
>shifts now noticeably smoother and grinding noise noticeably quieter

not claiming it'll "fix" a broken trans, but it definitely does something.

>Is that an American thing?
It's indirectly a thing in Canada at some shops that have a minimum purchase if you use a card. All bank cards charge a usage fee typically as a percentage of the purchase. The shop normally absorbs that cost as the price of making it easier for the customer to buy things at the store.

That used to be a factor when cash and personal checks were the norm as payment. But if everyone uses plastic cards, then much of that original incentive is lost and the banks simply are more like parasites than an additional incentive for the customer to buy at that shop. The profit is huge and its why banks and investment houses that have an ownership in the banking system have fantastically wealthy investors.

In america, many places now make the customer pay the cost of using the cards. Most gas stations do in my area. Some like costco don't charge for some brands of cards. Medical firms, most dentists, and even some convenience stores pass the cost on to the consumer. My local pizza shop makes card users pay more because they refuse to lose the percentage fee to some bank that did very little but jewishly sit back and watch the money roll in. When one considers the huge volume of business going on every day with banks getting a percentage of all of that just for the money flowing thru cards, it's more apparent how parasitic the loading fee is upon the system.

I know how credit cards work, just amazes me how businesses pass the cost onto to consumers like that

I guess banks aren't as well regulating in the US as they are in Canada

Seafoam for the throttle and intake actually works well with results. I personally use BG44 for cleaning my fuel system every once in a while and it works wonders. American fuel is surprisingly dirty due to the minimal refinement process and results in dirty injectors, carved valves and cylinders as well. Use that stuff and work your engine every once in a while and I guarantee that it will pay off in the long run.