/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Boop
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Space Engineers
>StarMade
>Avorion
>From the Depths
>Factorio
>REM
>Robocraft
>Machinecraft
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Besiege
>Infinifactory
>Scrap Mechanic
>Robot Arena 2
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Algodoo
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-167
boxcar2d.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for watermelon space dildo

>crossing the T

what exactly is happening in that image?

You see. When two ships love each other very much...

I can't be assed to dig up some Kankolle yuri

What a shit AI on this ship is.

FtD AI

>Pic
Lood.

Factorio needs ships

Adjust your turn radius and put some upside-down rudders on the front.

And hope that the tanker doesn't belong to WF

In FtD, how do I set cannons so that they automatically engage in battle when a shap gets too close?
They just get pulled when I move too far away and enemy ships just pass in front of them with no problems, even though their AI is on.

>And hope that the tanker doesn't belong to WF
why?

radars propably

What is the specialty of the White Flayers?

Guess

This is exactly as tedious as I envisioned

inb4 I fuck up in my first test flight through it and discover it's way too narrow for my plane

>This is exactly as tedious as I envisioned
Never good words to speak.

Well it is pretty narrow, but probably doable if you don't go crazy fast should I put obstacles in it like cannons or flamethrowers firing from those holes and shit like that?

And this is another attempt

I might have to move or rotate the whole thing so the next part of the bend dodges that chunk of mountain

This is one thing that kinda pisses me off about the main campaign. The WF used to be rammy spinny smashy guys who would chew on your ships at 40m/s, but now half their ships just spew sabot rounds at .8c until your AI cores are all demolished. It's a lot less fun this way.

FTD really needs a "Gameplay" pass on all the campaign ships.

As of right now, the designers simply update their ships to maximum effectiveness inside the envelope of their faction, This isn't bad for making tough bosses and challenging rivals, but there needs to be a skill curve.

The simplest example is the Vanguard: The Vanguard was literally removed from the game in favor of the retrofit. Yes, the retrofit is a better ship, but that isn't the point...

turboded

bump

What it needs is to unfuck the frame rate.

eveningly reminder
gas the nuKeen
gas the marek

Added a few more sections to the bend

This shit gets much scarier when you enter the tunnel at 640 kph in a plane with much higher acceleration it took me 5 attempts until I managed to fly through the whole thing without crashing, I don't even want to imagine how many times I'll die trying to do the whole circuit if I finish building it

Show more angles of that truck.

trucc butt

>high beams off by default
unlike every single truck on the road

I find it a bit silly that small grid glass isn't vanilla still

Is one allowed to utilize hovers in one's machine?

ded

Tanking a break from devving.

that is big car

>tfw perma-chat banned from world of tenks
>can't even mark targets or grid co-ordinates anymore
feels bad mane
Been at least a year since my last RNG ragequit

They removed chatting with the enemy anyway, so there's no point. If you can't banter with the enemy its no fun.

Well that's a drag, although it should help keep me from picking up tenks again. I may have slightly over-indulged in banter though, hence the permachatban.
4WD enabled, still drives like absolute dildos
I wish wheels were worth a damn in sponges

so, im not the only one that came back to tanks adiction?

>I wish wheels were worth a damn in sponges

I can actually explain why this isn't and probably wont ever be a thing that works well in spongoes, given our own internal testing in REM.

Because of the way they're managing 'ship' and 'grids', along with their use of Havok, centre of mass and acceleration are incredibly inconsistent. Especially over varied terrain. To create a system that works as smoothly as, say, ACF in gmod or Robocuck's older wheel system, you need to differentiate how wheels work from everything else.

What they have is a semi-circular block with some bounciness applied to the material. The friction slider only slightly alters this material, way below what is required. Any more would cause near instant clang.

this isn't the right general but i have a pile of old webms. You can probably tell which patch this is from based on the HD models.

I like the explanation, but I'm only 4 years old. Can you draw me a picture about it too?

>PLSGO

Unfortunately, no.

>those hudmods
:C

Not too sure what I could possibly draw that wouldn't be a circle with some arrows on it.

Here, a spengos tank, not as an excuse...

Pls user, don't tempt me
I've been clean since November of 2014 apparently
I hate how space engineers only gives a damn about CoM if you have multiple grids, stuff like pic related would always tip the nose downwards in atmo because the solar sail isn't centered

>>those hudmods
>:C

Meant for

>using an old version of the OP without the alphabetizing and more games
Reeeeeeeeeee

most of my webms don't show the hud. Though to be honest i haven't made a new one in like 2 years.

Well more for the fact Keencode doesn't have proper wheels.

I had always thought wheels work by just being friction enabled cylinders with internal force turning them. But I guess it's just not that simple.

>internal force turning them
Nope, external force 'spin' (rotation) applied by a script. Its as much garbage as you think it is. Only good part about the whole assembly is the suspension, and only just barely.

>tfw re-downloading the russian jew
you did this to me /egg/

bump

I said never again, and I never did. i will not ever fucking return to that massive fucking mistake.

He's belarusian. Don't you fucking put this evil on us.

surely it's still better than the czech jew at least
r-right?

Niet. It's the kind of jewery that makes actual jews drop their jaws in awe.

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-167

FACTORIO DEV UPDATE

ABANDONED RAILROAD

BOILER CHANGES

WE WILD WILD WEST NOW

>ignoring all the NUCLEAR stuff
RADIOACTIVE AYYS IN SPESS WEST

How fast do the russians usually update their version of the game

WHEN I SAID DEV UPDATE I MEANT DEV BLOG

SORRY

+1

How to download factorio mods if I dont own it?

>tfw you're so bored you accidentally sketch up a new part for REM ground stuff

Would something like this be something you guys would like to see? Or a more broken down list of parts such as suspension and specific sets/kinds of components you would lego together?

there a site
or stop being filfy piratefag for game that actually deserve shekels

>scalable wheels
yes pls
if I can make relatively pretty cars that work I'll be content

For me, it would probably be the latter, but to an extent.
I'm talking 2, 3 parts tops for wheels
But definitely allow some customization if you don't break them down into parts

>should I put obstacles in it like cannons or flamethrowers firing from those holes and shit like that?

I think that you already know the answer to that, user.

make one version with suspension and one without components but invisible shock damping, etc.

To the user last thread who wanted more alblobloo

behold my clusterfuck

Allowing lego parts, or allowing scaling of parts raises all sorts of balance questions, given that REM is a multiplayer combat game.

Especially if the lego method allows players to unlock new modules to attach or build their parts with, given they'd be playing against players without, potentially. This would mean every benefit would have some equivalent detractor in performance, somehow, provided its not just a straight upgrade that increases the cost of the module.

So a floating wheel? It'd be held in place and rotated by magnet meme magic, I suppose.

YOU'D BETTER ADD REAL TREADS REEEE

I don't understand it but I behold it

Why not like this, that looks fragile as fuck.

So far as modular wheels, you could go for the realistic approach and let players choose their own tire width, tire diameter, and wheel diameter. The larger the wheel the heavier it is, with trade-offs in aiming stability, speed, and target profile. Stuff like run-flats or airless tires could shit on accuracy but be slightly more durable

>So the solution was to increase the size of the boiler. The new size is 3x2
>say goodbye to the old 1-14-10 ratio of before. What is the new ratio? We haven't calculated it
AaAaAaAAAaAAaAAAAaAAAaAaAaAaAAaAAaAAAaAaAAaAAAAAAaAAAaaaAaAAaaaaAaAAAaAaAaAaAAaaAAaAAAAAAaAAaaAaAaAaaAAaAAaAAAAAAaAAAaaAAaAaAaAaAaAAAAaaAaAAaAaaAaAAaAAaAaAAaaaAAaAAAaaaAAaAAAAAAaAaAAaaAaAAAaAaAaAaAaAAAaAaAaAaAaAaAAAAAAAAaAaAAaAAaAaAAaAaAaAaAaAaAAaaAaAaAaAAAAaAAAAAAaAAAaaAAaAaAaAaAaAAAAaaAaAAaAaaAAaAAAAAAaAAaaAaAaAaaAAaAAaAAAAAAaAaAAaaAaAAaAAAAaAAaAAaAaAaAaAAAAaAAAAAAaAaAaAaAaAaAAAAAAaAAAAAAaAAAaaAAaAAAAAaAaAAaaAaAaAaAAAAAaAAAAAaAaAAaAAa

I am scared and a little bit aroused.

>sketching in SAI
You are one fine nigga.

This

>So a floating wheel?
yeah so that plebs can stick them on things like sticks or autists can make their own suspension systems to bypass whatever scheme you decide on

well, despite having a sphere as a colision model for the wheel in spengos, somehow it simulates that moment when the rim eats the dirt and stop having lateral friction and start to force the whole thing to roll, with airless you have this issue to, unless you can the lateral friction separated from the linear one.

I don't really see what the big deal is. Calculating the ideal ratio isn't that hard, and while it's going to take a while for people to figure out optimal and near-optimal design with the new boilers, "good enough" should still be pretty easy.

Of course, my dude. They're simply less interesting to talk about, given their inherent properties.

Jesus fucking christ how horrifying.

Its less of a true swerve drive and more of a diagonal suspension mount with minor turning ability. Actual swerve drives would be even more fragile, but would allow almost FPS levels of lateral control. I look forward to scout vehicles that can circle strafe around everything. fortunately its REMdev that makes the models, and given he's a for realsies engineer that removes my own retardation.

This sounds most likely, and easiest given its a simple matter of scaling the model and rigid body. Add some fuckery with multipliers based on the size and composition of the wheel and all I have to do is find some non-retarded values to punch in.

Arigato

I'm all for the idea, but they'd need to have some detractor. Probably cost.

It's not JUST about the ratio. It's the whole setup that is fucked and needs complete redesigning from the ground up.
>"good enough"
NORMIES GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEE

>Primaries\Russians MK2
(squatting suspiciously)
what meaning he of this

>but would allow almost FPS levels of lateral control
Asides from that, it will also keep the center in the middle of the arm block, and not on a side, if the top mount goes back to the other side, leaving the wheel in the actual center, would be the same, but if not, you could play with another axis like the front fork of a bike.
If they are under the same rules as the rest of the building materials.

boxcar2d.com/

To fuck arround with suspension arranges regarding the advance angle.

Or you could turn them to the other side, converting them into a regular tank torsion bar.

Oh you know.
pic related is fucking ancient and it makes me hurt. Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 7:21:52 PM to be exact.

I actually really like the idea of modifying the suspension axis of swerve drive wheels, and perhaps other more mundane kinds. I'll talk to REMdev to see what he thinks.

also, what do you think about a mix of this, and the lastest speed racer movie, using weird sci-fi wheel tech like the audi from yo robot???

spherical wheels on pic related and a machine gun on the top.

Would be the "craft your twisted metal character"

>boomermobiles with dakka
yes pls
I could never get any ZZ Top cars to look right in sponges

>actual free building + structural integrity + wheels

You can do alot with this, even use IRL factors to play in the game mechanics if you want to increase the complexity.

audi makes bikes now?

Yea, silly germans and those engineless cars they made.
>muh aero wont let me see where the wheels at

>also, what do you think about a mix of this, and the lastest speed racer movie, using weird sci-fi wheel tech like the audi from yo robot???

>Would be the "craft your twisted metal character"
>"craft your twisted metal character"

It makes me horny, is what that does.

It never actually occurred to me how similar to Twisted metal REM's ground portion might turn out being, minus some of the more arcade elements like weapon pickups. I wonder if the map design would carry over at all...

Ratrods are another fetish of mine.

That is the plan.

>horse legs most likely
rape horse time

Rawbots was a hell of a drug.

>Hate device.sai

2014 was a fun year. This was designed as a concept ship before we got the builder going.