Pop up headlight thread

Will pop up headlights ever come back?
What killed them, styling tastes, gov regs?

Post pop ups

They were deemed unsafe for pedestrians unfortunately. But I think styling played some part too.

they might have been a way to dodge minimum head light hight requirement while still making use of normal lamp housings

>Will they ever come back?
Probably not, outside of a super niche hyper expensive enthusiast car.
>What killed them?
Aerodynamics. Adding a larger drag area to the front of the car, even in this case just the headlights, will increase drag and therefore reduce MPGs by 2-5%. In current USDM market, the two most important things are how big of a pillow your car is in a wreck, and how good the MPGs are on that pillow.

Fuck pedestrian shit. How often are people getting hit by cars?
It can't be that bad for em pee geez.
Besides, most people drive during daylight.

its a 2mpg difference at 70mph in my 80's wedge with headlights up versus down. If im driving late at night on the highway, I will just run the fog/driving lamps and put the headlights down. since they are so low on the car they produce a lot less glare despite being brighter.

I wonder if there's a way to mitigate that now that we are much better in understanding aero.
And we now have smaller and better performing lights.

sleepy eye retrofits with smaller projectors are common in the after market.

Im sure it can be done, but as an automotive fad it comes and goes. Right now the "in thing" is the 70's and 80's pop-future look where lights are as narrow as possible. I doubt anyone would go through the expense to have a 2cm slit for light to come out of when they can just flush mount a poly lens and most places have dropped headlight height laws.

You could design pedestrian safe popups. It's just out of fashion as they look a bit goofy and today's cars have to be edgy.

My miat in 2009.

I've accepted that traditional pop-ups will never come back, but I do hope to see a new generation of hidden headlights. Maybe with flush panels that can recess to provide light and extra airflow or some of that opacity-changing glass

Oh man I love these things

>Puke.gif

how? basically cant. What other modern car has some shit popping out of the hood area? no one does it anymore.

HRNNNNNNNNG

too dangerous :'(

Just bought this for 3500

How's your sisters pussy feel redneck

I guess it's the right time to post this

I don't understand why you fags like pop-up headlighs.
Don't you know it reduces the front downforce when they are up?

>Don't you know it reduces the front downforce when they are up?

Who gives a fuck you retarded benchracer.

They are still legal in America. It's just eurocucks that ruined everything.

do u even tackle the corners?

maybe they do that but the ae86 is still the fastest on akina regardless headlights up or down