Kill the "FWD sucks" meme

Hello br/o/thers. I come to you with a simple request:

Can we please kill the "FWD sucks" meme?

There are so many amazing vehicles from multiple manufacturers that just happen to drive the front wheels.

Pic related:
This is me at a track day last Sunday... beating WRX's, BRZ's 240sx's mustangs, camaros, even a few corvettes.

I'm not saying I'm some expert driver, or that my car is better than those listed. There are plenty of other cars with much better times than mine. All I'm trying to say is that a vehicles performance has more to it than its drivetrain configuration.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tUfkkImOwfE
youtube.com/watch?v=4Ohn_-lpY6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=JERTOJ4ebKs
youtu.be/tzM2Gytw4rQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Killing a meme only makes it stronger, similar to a hydra.

Faggot.

Hey friend I'd love to join your cause, the only problem is that fwd fucking sucks so many balls.

Which company makes the best FWD cars?

Honda?

Maxipad.

> he likes fwd

laughing.pic

sounds like you're trying to prove something to yourself

your drivetrain is made for middle aged women

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just tired of the default response "no, you don't want that car because it's not 300hp RWD."

Even when the vehicle proposed is actually really good.

Always thought the Grand Prix GTP was pretty cool

It depends on the application. On a road course fwd definitely has an advantage in that group of vehicles. 240s and brzs are made to go around a track sideways not quickly. Don't know what a mustang was doing on a road course in the first place. Your power to weight ratio is probably better than theirs. FWD has less loss of power through the transmission than rwd because wheels are rotating on the same plane as the crank. The 90° shift in the diff of rwd and most awd is their downfall. FWD can put power down better to and extent. You have to consider that the front wheels are doing twice the work as in rwd. They have to steer and accelerate. At a certain point they can no longer do both. This is why you generally don't see high output fwd cars. They simply can't handle cornering and putting down lots of power.

4spd auto that likes to explode is the only transmission option.
They're OK for what they are I guess (a family car with a mild power boost) but don't expect miracles from it.

and the disabled, lgbts, poor people/mexicans.

Underated

youtube.com/watch?v=tUfkkImOwfE
the real meme is that ff was ever good in the first place
oversteer is much safer

The FWD meme on Veeky Forums is just another BS meme people use to make themselves feel superior with their RWD slow shitboxes. Yes, FWD is not the best for performance, but if tuned it can outclass many competitors. Honda and Mazda both do it well, notably Honda.

b-b-but muh Dagumi !

It can't be good if it isn't RWD. It might be comfortable, spacy, affordable, fast and well handling, but it can't be good just because understeer.

wow.
you beat a bunch of scrubs driver with your mazda.

It can't be good if it isn't FWD. It might be comfortable, spacy, affordable, fast and well handling, but it can't be good just because oversteer

This is a good fucking joke

B-but pro racers say oversteer is preferrable to oversteer a-and I'm a pro racer, r-right guys?

t. stereotypical Veeky Forums benchracer

Oversteer and understeer can be tuned into any platform. Look at the Fiesta ST and Focus ST and their oversteer, and the Mustang for understeer.

yes but ff has much less control

>FWD

Can a fwd car be fast/fun? Sure

Is fwd just as good as awd/rwd in terms of performance driving? LoL no

It's easy to make a case for FWD as long as it isn't high-hp racing. This automatic FWD RAV4 has a half-dozen overall podium finishes this year between NASA and Rally America, including an overall win at Prescott Rally a couple months ago.

You've also got the Xsara Kitcars that took back-to-back victories(with one event having them in both first and second place) in 1999 against all of the 90's rally superstars in their AWD WRC cars.

Even today, the J-WRC DS3 R3 MAX's will regularly make it up into the top 20 ahead of most of the R4 STI's and Evo's and a few of the $250k+ R5 cars.

And this is just rally. Other Motorsports such as BTTC are also great proof.

I'll let you in on a little secret.

NO ONE FUCKING CARES!

Ford.

Shit damnit, wrong pic

Let the triggering begin

I haven't driven a ton of fast FWD cars but the 2nd gen MS3 is probably the lowest of my list with hondas and nissans from the 1990s-2000s being way better drivers even if they are slower in a straight line. If you are gonna fight the FWD meme at least do it with something half way decent

Just because you beat dickheads at a track day doesn't mean FWD is any good.

FWD is fine if you don't break grip.
AWD is fine if the computer is smart enough.
RWD is fine if you can transition the car from understeer to oversteer and back using the throttle.

>benchracing

No because anything you can do in a ff car can be done better and/or faster in a fr, mr, or 4wd.

Even this is just trying to be a trans am but it's still a peice of SHIT

tripfag pls go

>mfw ripping hektik 10kph skids through the snow on fourth gear at 1500rpm in my diesel rwd shitbox
Enjoy jacking off that handbrake fwd plebs

Now check my digits

t. Fwd shitbox owner

Rallycross in an FWD left foot braking is hilarious tho.

You have an on-off hektik skidz button at your disposal below your left foot.

I ain't got no truck against commuter cars. They serve a purpose: point A to point B. Most do it well. Just don't get it twisted. Fwd can be sporty, but they are not sports cars.

shut up i don't want the fwd cars prices to skyrocket

No. We need it to out bus cucks.

If memes upset you consider not going on the internet. You have a car, enjoy it regardless of what some retard on a Bhutanese bee-keeping board thinks.

Don't worry they won't ever.

You aren't going to separate neanderthals from their memes.

I genuinely can't tell if you "FWD doesn't suck" posters are joking or not. FWD is and always will be something only poorfags buy because they can't afford a better car.

But mexicans all drive stanced driftmobiles and gay people drive miatas

FWD was invented to make econoboxes cheap and boring so your average Joe could get from point A to point B, nothing else.

The nocars have outed themselves.

>Yes, FWD is not the best for performance.
Stopped reading there.
Good that you see the truth.

Great argument for your preferred drivetrain retard.

You're probably just a better driver than them. FWD cars can be fast, and often are, but they'd be faster if they were RWD.

Here

290 hp, spacy, affordable (30K€) and well handling and no understeer if you don't drive it like a fucking retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Ohn_-lpY6Y

Drive a cayman s, reflect on the experience and how it conflicted with your insular views, apologize, and then kill yourself.

Fucking idiot.

There's nothing wrong with FWD, it's just that if a car has FWD I'm not really all that much interested in it.

It depends on what kind of road or track you're driving on. For Burgerking, i'd prefer rear wheel drive, but a rally stage in north Wales would warrant front wheel drive to make oversteer a non-issue.

Front wheel drive is often times more fun too because you can throw the car into corners with no real consequences, and there's a lot more kinds of wikkid skiddz you can do.

Four wheel drive is a bit more difficult to put into a category, due to how different some 4WD systems can be.

hey take that back just because I like dicks doesn't mean I have bad taste in cars

if you dont drive fast
>ftfy

But it goes fast and it doesn't understeer more than any other car it's size and weight.

You've never heard of the Le Mans Nissan, have you?

The FWD hate wouldn't be so blatant if manufacturers actually made cheap RWDs again.

The frustration of the industry is taken out on econoboxes,

In the BTCC the RWD cars have an advantage at a few tracks like Thruxton (and obviously have an advantage off the line). But overall FWD is better in the BTCC, there's so much contact that if someone is nudging you from behind you can just mash the throttle to straighten the car out. If you're in a RWD and defending from someone like Matt Neal he will just spin you out

Assmad GM fangirl detected

>All I'm trying to say is that a vehicles performance has more to it than its drivetrain configuration.

Very true. Especially when it comes to daily drivers. And you also have the weight advantage.
That is not to say that the FWD platform don't have serious disadvantages when it comes to going really fast - especially on tracks with big elevation variations.

Break too late with FWD and you will experience lift-off oversteer that can only be corrected by applying throttle while left foot breaking. Hardly a technique that is easily mastered.
Understeer on acceleration: you can't get on the throttle as fast when hitting the apex.

Try driving a fwd at it limits in this fashion: youtube.com/watch?v=JERTOJ4ebKs

Look at the numbers from WTAC, Gatebil Extreme etc. The fwd numbers just aren't competitive due to the physical limitations that the platform has.

But being the fastest doesn't matter, having fun and learning to be in control does. Currently looking for a AE92 (fwd) track toy myself - 4age entertainment for peanuts!

Stay safe

this is the most polite and informative response I've ever seen someone give on Veeky Forums. hats off to you, good sir

I came across a Seat Leon mk3 cupra on the twisties and I was just pottering along at a relaxing speed to get home but the dude accelerated up the moment he saw me and rode my ass for a few corners so I put my foot down and left him.

I pushed it moderately but not hard for about 2-3 miles then drove the speed limit for about another 2-3 miles until my turning came up, at that turning he finally caught up to me and flew by at about 110 nearly going off the road

FWD sucks dick.

Buying fwd will always be settling.

No one dreams of owning a fwd car aside from 90s type R

>le upboat

Not a real car if
>FWD
>Automatic
>diesel (I don't know what the fuck is his problem with diesels though)

>Drives FWD cuck mobile
>Requesting a meme to end

hahaha shit you do realize youre on Veeky Forums.org/o/ right?

>>>/reddit/

>WRX's, BRZ's 240sx's mustangs, camaros, even a few corvettes
that's not impressive

If rather own the 2017 Type R than the 2017 WRX STI desu

especially since 99% of people at open track days can't drive for shit.

well yeah, no fucking shit einstein

i loathe fwd for its craptastic abilities, but i would much rather have a new, updated, & proven civic type r than an outdated pile of trash with the interior from a fisher price toy.
also, the subaru """"community"""" is literal cancer that revolves around cuckboxes with dinosaur tech that just so happen to put power down to all 4 wheels

anyone with half a brain & no vape in their asshole would choose the type r without a doubt

But its not because its FWD. so, your argument is invalid newnamefag

t. Jorge Fernandez who owns a dolphin

>fed wheels rotate in the same plane as the crank
No, they don't. The transmission shifts them down. I think what you meant to say was that they run parallel to the crank.

> Being this triggered over some autist's shitposts.

It's not just that, when accelerating you tend to put weight on the rear wheels.

This means when accelerating hardest an FWD car has the least grip available to put the power down and when braking hardest has the most grip available which is backwards. In an RWD car you have the most grip for accelerating whilst actually accelerating.

You can also start winding off steering early in FR and MR cars by using the throttle whereas premature throttle in an FWD means you can only let off, you can't correct.

It's also far easier to get a nice weight distribution in an RWD or even AWD car compared to FWD.

There's a lot of factors working against FWD, it's really only used because its simple, efficient and small - all the factors that made it take off in Europe where value for money and efficiency were key in a poor as fuck post-WW2 hellhole.

You got any proof? We'll wait.

fuck off OP, I seriously hate not being able to fucking put my foot down in turns without fucking understeering into a tree.
diesel is good for two things
shitboxes in yurop
trucks
that's it
it can be somewhat fun but you need yuge engines with yuge tarbos and shit, and you're still fucking slow at the end of the day.
t. DD is diesel

Fiat/Alfa

Regardless of bolting huge turbo's on the tiny powerbands and shit response from diesel engines relegates them to the trash bin for any kind of fun driving beyond shits and giggles straight line pulls

Just fucking say "rally" and the meme dies.

Way to meme yourself cuck boy

youtu.be/tzM2Gytw4rQ
Same four speed auto rebuilt to handle power.

Don't feed the mememememe

>if tuned
Wow guys pouring money into a car can make it better than others

>front wheel drive isn't a meme
>great cars are front wheel drive

My sides are in orbit

????

"no"

I love the old hatches but that's fucking disgusting desu

I agree it's very over designed and honda has stopped caring about its simple and clean design language a long time afobut that ass is fine.

The lights and the spoiler is just nice factory rice. They look retarded as hell on the base civic though

Design aside, the previous gen type R in the UK has impressive performance and dismissing it because of the "fwd meme" is a shitty meme in and of itself tbhfamilia desu

Oh this is rich.

>P-please guys....s-stop

There's definitely tons of good fwd cars but if u don't prefer rwd you're a faggot

what about it?

>applying throttle while left foot braking on a fwd
That only succeds in locking the rear wheels, meaning you oversteer MORE. You're thinking of rwd, because that means the front wheels lock more easily.

Not that either technique works in a car with standard abs and/or esp.

>posts pathetic "drift" that would be beat by a pickup truck

Fiat group, Renault and Ford, nowadays.
Peugeot used to make great fwd cars back in the 80s/90s, tho.

>enjoys torque steer
>'I was only pretending to be retarded'

>implying this isn't shit tier
zozzle.mp3