Tomorrow i will be taking my 2015 volkswagen golf into a subaru dealership and hoping to trade it in for a wrx (if the...

tomorrow i will be taking my 2015 volkswagen golf into a subaru dealership and hoping to trade it in for a wrx (if the price is right.)

i've never owned anything but vw, what could i expect from a wrx?

should i get a wrx sti?

i regret not buying a gti, but i hate the clutch in my current golf (mk7), and it quickly became too slow for my taste.

pic related, car i want to trade in with 25xxx km

Other urls found in this thread:

torquenews.com/1084/5-new-performance-enhancements-are-coming-next-generation-wrxsti
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd suggest trying out a WRX before agreeing to anything to figure out if you actually like it or not

Test drive one first.

I thought I wanted WRX until I drove one. Took about five minutes of driving around to change my mind.

VW is shit reliability. Subaru is shit reliability.

You're trading shit for shit

Why are you bouncing from shitty car to shitty car? If you want to go fast keep the golf and buy a v8 murrican car to mod.

I wouldn't get the STi, its still old and the regular WRX has a new engine

the WRX has a softer suspension which will make it better for a daily driver. it also gets way better MPG

what made you change your mind?

WRX had a pretty rough shift from 1st to 2nd. I daily drive in a city, so this was a negative.

I thought it was me (hadn't driven stick regularly for a couple years) but I test drove a GTI a few hours later and it was real smooth.

WRX was a used '15. Called like 8 dealers in my area trying to line up a '16 non-STI to drive and nobody had anything.

Ended up buying a GTI - it was cheaper, better gas mileage, and actually available.

Funny, cuz I've never had any issues with my golf

>it also gets way better mpg
Sti gets 21mpg wrx gets 23mpg
>way better

The stimulus gets 17-23 the wrx gets 20-27 that's much better

I get 28 mpg in my STI highway cruising

Depends what sort of driving you do are you someone who likes sports cars but it's more of a novelty that you can afford or are you into hills and having the odd track day here and there ?

Do you enjoy fun in the bends or you just want a fast toy in a straight line for shits and giggles ?

>these roads were not designed for Volkswagens
-my dad when I was 5, upon stalling our family Polo mk2

Just got back from shotgunning in a sti driven by a rally driver.

You really don't want it as a DD. You'll be sinking the cost of the car into fixing it and once you sell it you'll lose the monetary equvilent of a fleet of well kept miatas.

It is tremendous if you intend to take it to the limit tho.

I was thinking about the regular wrx myself

What exactly is behind this "maintenance cost is high" thing? I've heard of blown head gaskets but that's from people who red line insatiable

the turbos and engines just can't deal with the pressure.
The owner had replaced the turbo with 30k km on it because it literally exploded, engine got a rebuild because headgasket blew etc etc.

He doesn't even race it because it's his dream car, but he just uses it to scare the shit out of stancefags.

I guess subaru engines just aren't as good.

WRX doesnt' come in hatch/wagon anymore, so it's fucking pointless.

And unless you want something beat to all piss by some vapefag, you can't get it.

Neither of those are issues on recent subarus, if you'd said piston rings I might have believed you

You have to be doing something seriously wrong to blow a turbo or headgasket in that time, sounds like shitty backyard tuning with nothing to support it. I.e the killer of nearly all Imprezas.

The FA20 in the new WRX is far superior to the EJ in the STi. However, the STi still has a better AWD setup with additional differentials, as well as a harder suspension. If you're looking for a DD, you're likely much better off with the WRX.

Also, anyone who just spouts "headgaskets" is a memelord living in 2004. It's tantamount to saying that Fords come equipped with tires that will explode and kill you and your family because of what happened in Explorers a million years ago.

What is the difference between the FA and EJ engines? Why would they put a worse engine in the flagship model?

why not get a sexi civic

Because stock for stock, the EJ257 still makes 40 more horses than the FA20DIT in the WRX.

That being said, the FA is two decades newer with direct injection, and responds very well to tuning, which is why the JDM Levorg with the FA20 makes 300 hp without even trying.

Subaru are likely still in the process of setting up a really aggressive tune and exhaust for the FA to make it push about 340 before dropping it in the STi.

The new FA20 engine has a high compression where as the older WRX engine was at a lower compression, with this in mind, its harder to take the FA20 at stock and put more boost through it that what it has in the WRX already.
When they make a new 2.5, I'm hoping they learn from the new engine and keep it around the same compression as the EJ257.
But the FA20 has better internals than the EJ257, its a very old engine that still runs on belts instead of chains, its semi-inefficient compared to their new engine, we could see 50hp+ just from them putting in modern deigns.
>can't the specific quote from one the lead engineers over a better 2.5
torquenews.com/1084/5-new-performance-enhancements-are-coming-next-generation-wrxsti

p sexy m8

I like the pre-refresh front more though.

oi thanks maynee

Oh hold up, this guy never had issues with his Golf, Golfs must be reliable then.

So is the 2017 WRX actually have reliability issues or is it all made up memes and shit

I haven't heard any, mind tell us what they are?

>worst looking gen of civ
>sexy

I don't know thats why I asked.

I hear nothing on here about head gaskets getting blown, some tranny issues and some shit about general reliability

So, should I wait until they drop the new FA into the STI or get an older one with the EJ257?

I would wait for the newer one. Looks dank af.

well, they've really ironed out a lot of the problems they've had in the past, that FA20 is pretty damn solid at stock.
it takes really well to tune and you can solve the torque dip and high compression with piston heads and headers on a budget.
They also threw the STi tranny into the WRX, the only thing you should be honestly be worried about is daily maintenance.