Splitting lanes

> originally from California
> lane splitting is legal there
> study done by Harvard found that lane splitting is safer as long as you're going under 50 mph and only going 10 mph faster than traffic
> move to Oregon
> get motorcycle
> find out splitting lanes is illegal in Oregon
> still do it cause fuck traffic
> people honk at me and generally get really pissed

Should I stop splitting lanes?

Do you split lanes? Is it legal to split lanes where you are and does that effect what you do?

> pic related is my bike

Other urls found in this thread:

cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I did all the time, saved more then half my time commuting compared to a car, but im between bikes at the moment. Legal over in new zealand so everyone on two wheels does it. Only problem i can see with you doing it in Oregon is if someone desides to cut you off and cause a crash you'll be deemed at fault.

But you in america, carry a shotgun and you should be fine

It'seems scary for me cuz my car sways like a kite

I just hate it when they honk at me or yell at me out of their window. Since I'm from California I'm used to motorcycles speeding past while I'm in traffic, but Oregon drivers fucking suck and they're all pussies cause I live in Portland (the most liberal city in the US) so me splitting lanes damages their delicate sensibilities

I am somewhat afraid I'm gonna get sandwiched between two trucks or two cars or something

approach every lane split as a separate overtake, then you will learn to make the maneuver when safe

Lane-splitting is in the US outside of CA. Even within CA where it's most common, only about half of non-motorcyclists know that it's legal according to a 2012 survey and CA only legalized it because there was no express prohibition to the practice beforehand. Outside CA, it's best not to do it especially in OR where it's expressly illegal. Not only is it illegal having it's own set of headaches if/when you get busted, but people tend to be assholes and performing maneuvers in trafffic that is outside the norm tends to compound the problem and make things worse.

But the future is uncertain and this is Trump's America now.

How's about you learn how to ride before you start filtering.

t. Every car that has side mirrors

Fuck your mirrors

Shit happens.

If it were illegal, my job would be pointless.
it's a way of driving here.

pretty bike.

> not legal
> I don't

wish I could. Maybe we should get Donald to make it legal across the country.

Thanks user

That'd be nice

>Make it legal at all
>Squids fly through traffic at ridiculous speeds, crash and whine about MUH CAGERS
>Squids get mad at someone for something stupid that was the squid's fault anyway, break their mirror and speed off between lanes
Blame squids.
>study done by Harvard found that lane splitting is safer as long as you're going under 50 mph and only going 10 mph faster than traffic
Safer than what, that's not how statistics work. When you set up an alternative hypothesis you finish the fucking thing. ie; "Motorcycles who lane split are involved in less accidents than those who don't per mile ridden" or whatever the fuck the point here is not "hurr durr it's safer"
I can also go on about statistical significance but OP gave no numbers so who the fuck knows.

Oh, regarding blaming squids, it's extremely hard to enforce lane splitting laws when it's legal to a certain extent, if it's completely illegal that's different.

It's also worth mentioning OP's "study" doesn't consider demographics, mention sample sizes, location or anything and he was probably being a retard and cutting people off or squeezing between unreasonably small gaps.

> safer than driving regularly in the middle of the lane
I thought that was kind of implied

Also I was wrong about Harvard doing the study, it was actually UC Berkeley

You can find an article about the study with a link on the page here:
>cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey

Jackass

>Lane-splitting motorcyclists were more likely to be wearing a full-face helmet than other motorcyclists (81 percent vs. 67 percent)
>Compared to other motorcyclists, lane-splitting riders were more often riding on weekdays and during commuting hours, were using better helmets and were traveling at slower speeds;
>Lane-splitting riders were less likely to have been using alcohol.
>Disregards anybody lane splitting outside of their arbitrary criteria

Woah, so are you telling me that riders who don't ride drunk, wear helmets and not speeding will crash less and suffer less damage in accidents? Wow, I really needed a study for that, thank you. It also says they're less likely to be rear-ended (no shit) but says nothing about drivers merging into them or changing lanes in front of them.

This study is fucking garbage

> confirmation bias
You're purposefully ignoring the other parts of the study

So you can't refute my argument, wonderful. If you're going to cry about fallacies at least pick the right one instead of just confirming you're a moron.

You're ignoring the statistic that says
> Compared to riders who were not splitting lanes, lane-splitting motorcyclists were markedly less likely to suffer head injury (9 percent vs. 17 percent), torso injury (19 percent vs. 29 percent) or fatal injury (1.2 percent vs. 3 percent)

That's pretty fucking significant

I don't do it because canadian law is really uncertain about it.

It's basically "maybe you can do it but maybe you can't do it we don't know"

Anytime the law comes up, if they talk about fully legalizing it then people say it isn't safe and nothing happens, or if they talk about illegalizing it then people say it isn't dangerous and nothing happens.

>Only problem i can see with you doing it in Oregon is if someone desides to cut you off and cause a crash you'll be deemed at fault.
How has the thread gone past this post? Someone can fatally wound you in their car on purpose and you will still be deemed at fault just because you want to split lanes.

If they fatally wound me I wouldn't really care if I was deemed "at fault" even if it wasn't my fault cause I'd be dead