> Join Demo Day 12
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Play Demo Day 11 games
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Play Halloween Jam 2016 games
itch.io/jam/agdg-halloween-jam-2016

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ (embed)

> Engines
Unity: unity3d.com
UE4: unrealengine.com
Godot: godotengine.org
Haxe: haxeflixel.com
LÖVE: love2d.org
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/dSV9nFcY
poal.me/derxar
poal.me/2f8mrt
itch.io/jam/agdg-winter-jam-2015
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nth for suicidal tendencies

Am I doing it right?

3rd for finishing a game

no!
we were supposed to let it die!

Post progress, now.

Tell me what you're working on, and what's the next thing you'll be working on.

Hey, leave the rest of us out of this

YOU FOOL THE UNDEAD CURSE MAKES SURE AGDG WILL NEVER DIE. A FATE FAR WORSE IS AWAITING FOR US IN OUR FUTURE. AGDG IS GOING HOLLOW. IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING, CAN'T YOU FEEL IT ? OUR PURPOSE, FLEETING AWAY.

Sorry for the late reply, but I calculate how much I have to lead and convert that into local space and invert it.

Use intelligence to gauge your skill with a weapon, at higher intelligence levels you'll be able to learn special attacks and techniques with weapons.

The webm with the shitposter hurting agdg was true all along.

is it comfy jam yet

I'm a filthy engine dev. I'm doing movement stuff, collisions and what not, then I want to get into low poly modeling. Wonder if I'll have the time today.

Every time, EVERY DAMN TIME I think I'm finished with this simple mechanic, I come up with more refinement,s, more polish.
I swear, this is it, once I'm done with a sort of "splash effect" upon the spells collision with the enemy, I'm done with this mechanic.

what is unity man doing there

too lazy to make a new one, but here's an intermediate level from squirrel sphere

intermediate level. still missing polish

Got my grapple working but I can't aim it, only fire straight up. Also implementing a 2.5 spline movement system which is working but the camera is not rotating with the player. My goal today is polish the 2.5d movement and implement mouse grapple aiming (without glitching each other).

May also work on my Tetris tutorial later. UE4 needs more basic tuts.

Animations on that guy are really good. You're going to make it, man.

What about making the camera keep both the player and the targetted enemy on the screen?
that's default unrealman, not unity

those animations come pre installed, as well as the character controller he's using

Nope. But you can start anyway and don't forget to post your progress.

Well if that's your main targeting mechanic then maybe it's well worth refining it till you're truly happy with it? But it does look like it works really nicely as is so idk.

just floor 4 assets. wanna get some fireball spewing blocks done next.

So are you basically using steering behaviours?

yellow unrealman > silver unrealman

got my jam game finished or more accurately it reached its natural end since converting it from python to standalone executable was more trouble than it was worth and thus the project lost its point.

now I am learning C++ and I have to decide which game to make
>Command Promt RPG
>Command Promt Grand Strategy (containing just the most base essentials needed for satisfying blobbing)

what do you think? What should be my next game?

Trying to finally replace some of my placeholder art. How does it look? Any glaring flaws I should be aware of before continuing?

I expanded my datastructures.gd script by a 2D array. GMS had ds_grids with some nice functionality, like "add x to all cells in rectangle / disk", so I implemented that. Godot also has funcrefs, so I can do "apply function xyz() to every cell in rectangle / disk / diamond, with the cell's value as argument". This will help me in my next project.

Which I am starting today.

Some kind of stage obstacle that spews bullets when you shoot it might be cool. Could throw some medium difficulty enemies in there that suddenly become difficult when the player has to carefully aim their shots.

Just a thought.

I think it would look better with pastel colors but that's just my opinion

Looks fairly decent. If I were to nitpick, I'd say the building's "depth" (specifically the vertical "length" of the roof) looks a bit thin, like a house with a 1x3 base and 3 height.

Question on fighting game mechanics, hopefully someone can answer me.

Say the active frames for a move is 3 frames. If a collision is detected on the first frame, do the other two active frames still play out, or should it go directly into recovery/blockstun?

Also have another question as to how to implement moves and shit. Character is in a state machine, is it better to have scripts for each move for every character or have generalized scripts that call out different values based off a character's properties? The latter sounds better, but will require more processing while the action is actually happening.

>If a collision is detected on the first frame
Then you go straight to blockstun

>is it better to have scripts for each move for every character or have generalized scripts
Depends on what kind of precision you want.
Initially you'd have to generalize stuff as much as possible but too much generalization kills the generalization, it makes code readability and maintenance a real nightmare.

I actually prefered blue

>If a collision is detected on the first frame, do the other two active frames still play out, or should it go directly into recovery/blockstun?
That is pretty subjective, user. Both are valid, really. You have to decide which one fits your vision and that we cannot tell you what is your vision.

thanks, I might experiment with that

yeah, I see what you mean. I'm trying to go for a semi-2D perspective since I want the player to see the sky, but I guess it just makes the building look flat. I'll try fixing that, thanks

>Then you go straight to blockstun
I might have misstated my question. The opponent would obviously go straight to blockstun/hitstun, but player would go straight into recovery frames too? I would think that rest of the active frames would play out, unless I'm wrong.

>Depends on what kind of precision you want.
I was going with super generalized, but looking at my code now, I can see it spiraling out of control quickly.

You mean the attack? Yes, the attack continues to play out.

In fact, hitting on the very first frame of an attack is called a meaty and used a lot for setups if you can combo-cancel the move.

The fuck am I talking about? Meaty is hitting on the last frame, not the first. Sorry for the confusion, too many terms in the fighting game glossary.

Thanks, now I need to figure out if I'm going the individual move state route or generalized. Currently all frame information is stored in an array and it accessed when a button is pressed (startup/active/recovery/adv.hit/adv.block).

No no, basically something like pic related. It's a bit complicated to explain but essentially you just have to do a bunch of local space -> world space conversion and vice versa.

its not even that accurate desu

So 9 people are just putting the finishing touches on their DinoJam submission, r-right?

Looking the same to me.

Top or bottom, which lighting looks best?
yes, I know the platpots look hideous, as do most colours, I'm gonna re-work a lot of this as I've just shifted lighting method

The cockpit is coming along nicely, i added readouts for important values such as the fuel supply, air supply or the temp and such. There will also be a radar on the front right screen. Positions of the controls are now also saved between games. So the controls are finished and now i just have to copy&paste them for the new functions I will be adding.
And now onto more fun stuff.

Bottom
You need a new monitor user :^)

Download Unity or GM and make an actual game.

need some help with gamemaker

i'm running a shader that is global to the application surface. since im redrawing the application surface, i need to manually resize it since if i change the resolution, it gets fucked up
the issue is that sometimes if i close the game, i get an error message after its closed that it cannot retrieve the window's dimensions (since it's closed). how do i work around this? its inconsistent and only happens about 1/4 times i close the game. i added the conditional thinking that it would alleviate the problem but it didnt help.

any advice?

pastebin.com/dSV9nFcY

if you are gonna rework a lot of it then how can we judge the lighting?

well mostly the plant pots and the colour of the house

I've made a few cardboard games, finalizing another one. I am having a really hard time doing "polish" work. I absolutely know that its crucial to the game, but its just so fucking boring. Things I don't want to do:

>Style menus
>Play with lighting to make it perfect
>Write a bunch of levels

How do you guys get past this?

Basically it goes like this
JUST_______________
LIKE________________________________
MAKE____________________
GAME__________________

ye

Taking a short break from my game to try and push out a GMS2 jam game in a week, a twist on shmups. After that it's right back into assets and cleaning up code for the main game

>mostly code/logic progress
>nothing new visual since last time
Meh, posting anyway.

Progress :
- Finalized the dynamic state-machine, from there I'll probably just need to add features but the core is solid and won't need heavy changes anymore
- Implemented battle stats (hp, bla, stamina etc), modulable so can be attached to anything including items
- Charge system feels more like monster hunter than rune factory but I dig it

Once I've implemented the combo system I'll probably either start to work on the ai or farm logic.

Winter Jam is happening first.
Speak of which, when should Winter Jam start? I propose December 16th, and have it run for 2 weeks, ending on New Years eve. This way it happens after the Ludum Dare, and it takes place during a period when most people have time off.

Still deciding what the theme of my game should be. Suggestions are welcome.
poal.me/derxar
poal.me/derxar

In the mean time, I'm trying to work out on paper how things like equipment, inventory etc should work before I go to code them.

>farm logic
Wait what?

Can't we do it in January? I feel like we have Jams every 2 weeks lately.

give me shit to put on the walls as cave paintings please

>tfw you won't make it to dino jam

>Winter Jam
Can I submit I am Setsuna and pass it as my own?

I absolutely HATE making "physics sandbox" and graphical games. Unity and GM offer pre-made physics like collision detection and movement through space. They also offer ways to color those physics objects very prettily. One can adjust how a bouncing ball looks by adjusting a few sliders and fields.

I have absolutely no need for any of that, since I will never want to make a platformer nor do I intend to ever make a game where player controls a character who has to solve puzzles in 3D themepark. I am physically unable to make those games - my body starts immediately deteriorating the moment I even consider making an action game. Trust me, I have tried.

But, does Unity or GM offer support for making strategy simulacra games? Or do these only get in the way?

Let's find out, When should Winter Jam be hosted?
poal.me/2f8mrt

Whoa back up, what is this? Looks cool.
put pic related

Next time spoiler it. When i saw that umbillical cord hanging from their snatches i almost puked.This is a SFW board.

Fuck off with the winter jam. If we are gonna have a jam, lets pick a proper theme. And if people want to add winter theme into their jam, they can.

For fucks sake, every year we must have this tirade.

Halloween jam and Winter jam are the most popular jams, why shouldn't we have it?

dino girl game but I had only posted the model until now

also I already had bunny idol in my last unfinished game it's time to give it a rest

Just say you hate video games.

How many snowman games you want, goddamnit.

Here, I offer a compromising alternative.

Lets say the polls pick the theme Dinosaur. Then call the jam with the name "Wintery Dinosaur Jam". And in the description write "make a game about dinosaurs. OPTIONAL OBJECTIVE: make it wintery"

No. Winter Jam stays, if you don't like it just don't enter it.

so, what game are YOU gonna make for it
a platformer with white tiles, where you are a sexy snowman who fights evil snowmen?

you dropped that dancing game?

it is true, 99% of agdg games just die for no reason

A long neck Gogem style drawing

uhh I'm not bunny idol dev I just drew the picture but yeah I think he dropped it

there were reasons I'm sure, he's posted about it before

dear /agdg/
please do not stop deving
love, user

dear user
stop being a filthy nodev
hate, /agdg/

i do what i do
you do what you do

people are gonna half ass the theme no matter what it is. there can be creative winter jam ideas

I hope what you do is kill yourself

ok but im only doing this so you guys make good games alright

itch.io/jam/agdg-winter-jam-2015
Count the snowman games here. There are none

indeed there is none

but where are the creative games in that jam? I almost fell asleep looking at the entries. How is this excusable.

Post your game?

Go post yourself!

So you don'v have one? Sad.

>but where are the creative games
idea guy nodevs have /ignd/ to post in, friend

yes, yes I cornered you and now you are trying to meme me
at least accept your defeat with dignity

Post your game?

no

Why not?

Something something Zelda 2 in 3D something something

So OoT with RPG elements.

why don't you?

added shitty tribesman

>answering question with another question
I rest my case.

That's some superb texture work, user.

It must be Xbox hueg, though.
How big is the image??

Too short

Also, your linework is too good.

I am interested in making a Pokemon-maker from scratch. (2D, sprites only, graphics more like the gba games where there's no pseudo 3D models or anything.)

Let's say I was fluent in all programming languages/engines. What language(s) or engine(s) would be best for making the Pokemon-maker?