Help a clueless /pol/lackout?

I bought my first car recently, a 2001 Toyota 4runner SR5; It's used, apparently the mechanic refurbished it, even added a custom engine or something like that.

My point is I have no fucking clue about cars, and the winterball threads turned me onto this board. So I figure I might as well ask what are some things that someone completely new to owning a car, who knows nothing about automobiles should know. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/4runner/2001
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sure, but you didnt make a single question in your post

I'll admit I'm not even sure where to start.

I suppose I might as well ask what are the 10 most important things to the mechanics of a car that any owner should know--just so I don't get scammed by a mechanic saying I need to replace my "headlight fluid" or something.

Lurk more, faggot

1 mechanics want to scam you
2 mechanics want to scam you
3 look up your car on google + what eer problem you might have
4 get a OBD2 blue tooth scanner for your phone
there is no 5 to 10

Lurk more and enjoy your new car/hobbie/moneypit

Start doing your own maintenance. Small things first, like sparkplugs, bulbs, filters and fluids. These are easy enough to get the hang of.
Then move on to bigger things like brakes and suspension, which require more effort and are a bit more fiddly. Gradually tackle more difficult jobs.
If you encounter a problem or don't know how to do something, search a bunch of forums first. Asking Veeky Forums should only be used as a last resort option, and I'm not saying that because we hate people trying to learn. You'll just have a better chance of getting useful info from a forum dedicated to your car.

You should probably know what engine is in your car. That's kind of important. Also, read the fucking owner's manual.

>You should probably know what engine is in your car.

Tried to open up the hood, even though I unlocked it, the hood wouldn't budge at all. Might just ask the mechanic I bought it from about it when I get a chance.

>That's kind of important. Also, read the fucking owner's manual

I don't think it came with one; would I be able to find a PDF online?

/thread

Also most of Veeky Forums doesn't know shit about cars and will try and meme you into doing stupid shit.

There should be a latch somewhere along the edge of the hood.

toyota.com/owners/resources/owners-manuals/4runner/2001

Bonus - will tell you how to open your hood

> the hood would not budge at all

>/pol/ claims to be redpilled and hates numales
>this guy can't even open his hood on an suv

????

>I don't think it came with one; would I be able to find a PDF online
Look inside the glove compartment
If it's not there, google "2001 Toyota 4runner SR5 manual", second link.

jesus fuck you're embarrassing us in front of our waifu

bet this is some /lgbt/ trickery

You probably want to flush your motor of any gunk left behind by the previous owner. Get your car up to opperation tempurature and pour 2L of warm soapy (dish soap is fine) water into to oil fill cap. After that rev your engine to ~5k rpms for 10-15 minutes and then drain and replace the oil. The water will turn to steam and clean your engine internals and the soap will help break down deposits.

:^)

>can't open the hood of a toyota

Dad still out for that pack of cigarettes, huh?

>dish soap is fine

Putting anything other than Neutrogena T-gel shampoo in your engine when you flush the oil. ISHIGIGITTY

It's a 4runner, you could probably run bar soap through it and it'd be fine.

>/pol/tard
>Doesn't know shit about cas

Not only are you a /pol/tard but you aren't even a man.

Lurk and