What performance target should the RX-9 aim for?

Tier 1
>GT86/BRZ
>Boostang
>WRX
>V6 Camaro
>370Z

Tier 2
>Mustang GT
>Challenger Hellcat
>Camaro SS
>WRX STI
>Focus RS

Tier 3
>Cayman
>M2/M4
>SS 1LE
>GT350

Tier 4
>GT-R
>NSX
>GT350R
>ZL1
>Corvette GS

Tier 5
>GT-R Nismo
>911 Carrera S
>Corvette Z06
>488 GTB
>570S
>Huracan

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nzheR89O4Jg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

t. 86/BRZ owner severely overestimating his car's performance, it can't compete with the Camaro, 370z, muh EcoBoost etc. RX9 will also be above both "tiers"

Oh, didn't expand the post and see you were going the other direction. 370z needs to be boosted up at least one

3 or 4

Probably Tier 3 for the base model and Tier 4 for the higher trim (assuming there is one). there could also be a "all cards on the table" super performance trim for Tier 5.

Tier 2.5 stock

Tier 4 modified

With tires it outperforms them on track. I'd say they're pretty close.

Isn't just a single turbo 2 rotor? Why is it so huge?

Tier 3 with a Tier 4 version with lots of wings on it. I don't think you can reach Tier 5 with such an engine unless you boost it until it's about to shatter.

If it's going to priced over 60k, then Tier 4.

There arewebsites saying it'd be powered by a 400hp 1.something 4cyl engine, which also gives it a chance to be in Tier 5.

>4cyl
do you know what the R stands for in RX?

It's smaller than the FD. The hood and roof line just make it look really long. It might look decent if they raised the roof line.

Tier 1 competitor is already the Miata, so no.
Given the price range, it's unlikely to be 2 either.
Could be 3 or 4 for stock/base model and 5 for a performance one.

as long as it does hektik skids and is faster than an FRS it will be successful

No.

the concept doesn't even look like a performance car. it looks like a luxury sports coupe.

The low roof line and tiny headlights make it look literally twice as big as it actually is.

Tier 3, at $45-55k.

>4cyl

I think you are talking about the RT24-P. If Mazda can't make the rotary work, the RX-9 won't happen.

tier 3, but I think it most likely will be something between tier 3 and 4

its kinda silly to benchrace a car stock with skiddy tires imho

86 will outperform all of those except for the higher spec 370z

and its cheaper :)

>It's faster than a pair of lolcantturns with worse tires
That's nice, I suppose.

I really want Star Specs for my FiST but I heard they're loud as fuck on the highway, to the point of sounding broken.

I thought it was going to be a Cayman S competitor but cheaper, a la the FD which was faster than a 911 Turbo S at half the price.

Get them, don't worry. The cold grip is good, but the turn in will make you moist

>someone who's had Star Specs, ZII*, Rival, RE71R

If such a car hits production, I expect it to target tiers 4-5. Mazda needs a halo car and this will be it.

I also want to believe, but there's a reason people chose P cars over unreliable Japanese cars in the 90's.

More likely than not, it'll have the same specs as a base Cayman (250 hp/3000lbs), and that's fine by me

Tier 3

Next year bring a 4 rotor quad turbo (or just bi turbo) that shames tier 5 cars for 1.5x the price of the tier 3 version
Keep both of them on sale for a few years till tree huggers start to complain you are wasting too many apex seals and pull the cars out
Call one RX9 and the other RX9R or something

RX-9 (50k) = Tier 3
RX-9 Turbo (60k) = Tier 3.5
RX-9 Spirit R (80k) = Tier 4

Tier 5, Mazda threw it all on the table last time
I want to believe

>12 rotor hypercar to humiliate 918s and Oi Veyrons for the price of a Corvette
>full carbon fiber monocuck
>active suspension
>active aero
I fucking wish.

>do one lap
>out of fuel
>but you've set a world record

The ultimate bench racing machine

>not even equalizing the tyre for comparison
what's the point?

If you think of it that way, then the P1/918/Ferrari La Ferrari La Ferrari La Ferrari La Ferrari aren't any different either, since they run out of battery after a lap.

As to be expected of Toyobaru kiddies, they think their ricemobile can beat a 918 if you put a turbo and some sticky tires on it.

How in the fuck did you come up with theirs tiers?

How do you possibly think the Hellcat is on the same level as a GT or SS? How do you put a Huracan in with a fucking Corvette? Are you retarded?

RX-9 should be at Mustang GT level. It needs to be competitive with American sports cars or it will be completely forgotten like the 350Z or RX-8. Japan doesn't have a single sports car that can keep up with a 392 Challenger in the price range right now. Mazda needs to aim for that.

3.5-4.

I'm thinking they'll probably try to get around 911 Carrera GTS performance but for Cayman pricing.

Mazda pretty much always exceeds its targets. Except for that whole bringing clean, additive free diesel to America thing.

The new CX5 has the Skydiesel 2.2

They said they are releasing it in late 2017 in America, but *it will use an additive*.

So it's late, and requires and additive which originally they said it wouldn't.

Other than that, though, Mazda keeps exceeding their targets/expectations.

Word on the street is 400hp is the goal. Considering the 13B was making 250ish and was essentially a motor designed in the 70s I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Skyactiv R is a genuine world beater.

>not counting up from Tier 5 so Tier 1 is the highest performance
Ya dun goofed OP

Anyway, the new dorito car needs to be faster than the Cayman and GT350 for the same price.

If Mazda can meet their power and weight goals and they make a beastly chassis like they usually do, there's no reason to doubt it will.

How are you on this board?

>smaller than the FD
I was about to say "nope" but then I remembered this image. I own an FD now, I don't know how I feel about driving something even smaller; how do you Miatabros do it?

I'd hope they aim for Tier 3 to relive the BTFOing the FD did when it debuted. It'd be glorious.

Rumors were batted around last October or so that they were aiming for 360ish hp or so out of an n/a engine - not sure how I feel about that, might be possible if they're dropping a 3-rotor in there however.

This would be glorious. I'd buy two.

I didn't know old man Wankel was still alive.

>I'd buy two.
Yeah me too, it's not like I'm poor or anything.

I can't afford one right now either.

But we both have time to earn ~$60-120k in disposable income by the time this fucking thing actually hits the road. I-it's not like we've been teased with a new RX- every year since the RX-8 was discontinued, and specifically with a new "RX-7" since long before then or anything..

Hopefully not in the slow as fuck non turbo tier like the rx8.

>gtr is getting old and everything is done for the driver
>918 is ps4 pro vr while nsx is chintendo vii (and laferrari is a high end pre-built pc)
>lfa is discontinued
>lc f doesn't exist
>current lc has less hp than a decade old bmw m6

the mazda RX-9 can mean life or death for the Japanese in the supercar (or high end sports car) market so it needs to be the best that it can......i say tier 5

though rumors are saying it's gonna have like 450hp so it'll probably be in either the high 3's or low 4's

>LaFerrari is a high-end pre-built PC

No it isn't, PCs can generally do the things they're advertised as doing, and aren't carted off home to the warehouse when you're done using it.

It's more like a MacPro - overpriced shit that can't really do anything substantially better than competitors bar one incredibly specific application.

In my opinion the engine in the RX-8 was wicked, but maybe just in a small, nimble chassis? Low torque engines in heavy cars does not equate to wonderful in my opinion.

>But we both have time to earn ~$60-120k in disposable income by the time this fucking thing actually hits the road.
I'm working on it. The dream of owning a dealership fresh rotary sports car is one of the only things that keeps me going.

yeah you have a point

macs are much better supported in terms of music production and have massive prestige

but it ain't like ivy bridge e isn't still really fast....most likely still more powerful than a ps4 pro

The RX-8 was pretty light for what it was.

It just should've been a Miata-sized coupe instead of the compromise we got.

The RE-71R is magical in the mountains. I haven't tried the old Star Specs; went with the RE-11A when they first came out. Loved 'em. The 71 took it a notch further.

I heard the RE71 wears like a Hoosier so I'm not really interested in it. How was the Rival? Rival S is made in my ideal size.

anyone who says anything other than the most affordable option is a fucking retard cuck who likes being abused
and also more than likely voted trump

Carrera S

Is OP a fucking moron?

I is roughly the same size as the FD. Just wider(more shoulder room, yay) but shorter (which will probably be raised up a bit).

The Wheelbase is like the RX-8 as well, which should also contribute to interior volume.

The concept is only 4.3" longer than the FD.

Basically, the concept is 2" shorter than a 1993 M3, while a 2016 M3 is 11.5" longer than the 1993 M3.

So while the M3 has grown a foot, assuming they use the concepts dimensions (it'll probably be a tad smaller), it's grown far less than the M3 has.

I personally think the final car is going to be somewhat between the FD and RX-Vision dimensions(so maybe just 1.5" shorter instead of 3" shorter, 2" longer instead of 4" longer, 4" wider instead of 7" wider), though that it'll keep that roughly RX-8 wheelbase.

Mazda has been using bits of the RX-8 platform for some testing, which is a strong hint that it'll keep roughly the same wheelbase, I think.

>Tier 1
>370z

>Tier 2
>STI

KEK

youtu.be/nzheR89O4Jg

They said they want to undercut the Cayman's weight.

But I wouldn't be surprised if their real goal is to make something like a mini AMG GTS, with way more power than even the Cayman GT4 has.

If they really do that, and have 2 small seats in the back, I'll definitely buy it.
If it only matches the Cayman's performance, and only has 2 seats like it, it'd be stupid for me to not just buy a used Cayman instead, sadly.

Really, there is no reason they can't reliably get 400+ hp out of a 1.6L turbo rotary. At least with emissions delete if not from the factory.
EFR 7670s on the smaller 13b-REW reach 400hp on pump gas reliably.

A large part of why the FD only got 255hp and later 295-310 on the 99+ models is because they had too of the tiniest fucking turbos ever to get low range torque from old ass turbo tech.

Now days a single turbo, like an EFR, can get the same early peak boost, while spooling faster across the entire RPM range, and being far less restrictive and far more heat rejecting.

So if they got 310 on the old ass FD with the 13b-REW and ancient sequential turbo tech, why would the next RX with a 1.6L and single turbo only be 325hp or so?