The future of pumping gas is here

youtube.com/watch?v=z9vjNH3XYcY

chicagotribune.com/business/ct-bp-interactive-gas-pump-1115-biz-20161115-story.html
>Meet Miles, BP's chatty interactive gas pump aimed at millennials

>"Miles," an interactive pump with a high-octane personality and a touch screen, is being tested at two Chicago-area BP stations and two in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, with an eye toward a broader rollout. The pumps use artificial intelligence to engage customers with Pandora music stations, trivia, photos for social sharing and witty banter.

>When a car pulls up to the pump, a motion detector wakes up Miles to greet customers with blaring music and a choice of Pandora radio formats.
>"I'm going to play some of your favorite tracks while you fill up," Miles said during a recent visit to the River North station. "I'd be dancing if I could, but, well, I'm a pump."
>Miles provides a few options to pass the time while filling the tank, including music trivia games, video e-cards and "augmented reality" photos for social sharing.

THE FUTURE IS HERE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9udzyMVbfSM
reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I'd be dancing if I could, but, well, I'm a pump.
I SAID DANCE FOR ME.

>Check the video on youtube
>3 likes and 43 dislikes.
>Comments are negative too.

Why are people so salty about this? It's not like it's goverment money. Plus, if it was Japanese, people would say how awesome it is.

The botnet truly is everywhere.

>gas pumps where you have to enter your credit card before you can even start pumping

Where do you live? That's how it is already in those areas.

Luddites, I bet.

>its cold and you're tired after driving for hours
>the wind hollers as you realize you need gas
>manage to pull into gas station despite all the snow
>go to the pump to get gas
>"HI I'M MILES THE GAS PUMP, CAN I SUCK YOUR DICK TODAY???"
>i just wanted gas man

i don't like it, but at the same time it feels pretty cyberpunk. and cyberpunk is comfy af

This fag still lives in 1950

Germany, where there's still an integral sense of decency in society.

What did he mean by this?

>Okay! I'll get pumping right away!

Though I think everyone is turned off by the "personality" though.

>a fucking gas pump will care more about my happiness than anyone else in my life

Yeah because it's an absolute fucking chore to pump gas for a minute that I need CONSTANT STIMULATION BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS ADD FROM SAID CONSTANT STIMULATION EVERYWHERE

>heavyhanded data grabbing and advertising is now going to be staring you in the face when pumping gas

How awful

You haven't been to an ExxonMobil station yet with Gas station TVbuilt into the pump? It's a combination OF ads and vapid puff piece news.

>self-driving cars
>self-pumping gas

This isn't the future I asked for.

I dont live in a big enough city so this is the first im hearing about it.
Its just sickening to see the video in the OP asking for your phone number and shilling pandora.

Im /g/ before Veeky Forums and hate this shit

>implying self-driving cars isn't the neatest shit ever

LOL

youtu.be/9udzyMVbfSM

It fucking sucks, I now get back in my car while the gas pumps rather than waiting outside the car while it pumps

its both the personality and the whole shilling bit of it for myself

i kinda hate it

It'll be a lie though, a soulless programmed machine that's incapable of even understanding the hollow words it utters.

And the worst part is, it'll still care more about you than anyone else you know.

And I thought the pumps with TV screens were annoying.

This is much worse than I could have ever imagined.

Why do millennials always have to take pictures of themselves everywhere they go?

A craving for instant gratification and social prestige that the internet has nurtured and reinforced. It sucks being a millennial because I act more like my grandpa in that all I need to be happy is something to work on, and it makes it odd to connect to anyone my age.

>A craving for instant gratification and social prestige that the internet has nurtured and reinforced. It sucks being a millennial because I act more like my grandpa in that all I need to be happy is something to work on, and it makes it odd to connect to anyone my age.

reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration/

Have you ever experienced annoying gas pumps before? They are shit and I will avoid any station that implements anything even remotely similar to this. If they want to have the weather on a screen, that's cool, but I'm not going to go to your business if it means I need to be blasted with ads while I fill my vehicle.

>literally every pump ever

As if we want to make pumping gas take longer because idiots want to fuck around with this dumb pump.

what?
In germany you fill up your car, go inside and tell them what pump you used. Then you pay in cash or with EC.

Would it be criminal conduct if I showed it muh benis?

yes

>to greet customers with blaring music and a choice of Pandora radio formats.

They took a vision of my personal hell and started producing it in factories.

Or you can pre authorize, takes like half a second using NFC

what do you mean?
This is how our fuelstations look like. There is no electronic in this things and I never saw any in germany.

Newer versions of these have NFC terminals that you tap your card on to pre-authorize up to $100, you get charges for how much you fill up to that amount
Never have to walk into the station

>fat American has to walk in pay for something

so much struggle

Not even American you tard, they don't use NFC everywhere like we do in Canada

Stop trying to defend your outdated pumps

what if you want to pay in cash or want something like a snack, cofee or cigaretts?

Then you fill up like normal and go in to pay

Get off my board.

Based Canuckistan. Pretty much everywhere has adopted NFC payments, and every bank card is NFC enabled. Even Apple pay is really taking off here, I see people pay with their fucking watch and shit. Just a shame that it hasn't caught on so much in murrika

It better have a fucking cutoff so people don't sit there playing games and trying to get a selfy just right while I'm waiting to get gas.

Fucking this
Makes my blood boil reading about this bullshit

You go in and say "I want this much on pump X"

No.

Why? It's not human, and it's on private property.

I was paying with Google Wallet way back in 2011 with a Nexus S, but then the banks, telecom, and CRTC cucked Google out of using it there

>durr buy a special SIM instead

How am I supposed to know beforehand how much I want? What if the specified amount doesn't fill the tank or the tank is full before the specified amount is used up? Do you have to go in again?

They all have a mute button, faggot.

It's bad enough having to wait for people at the pump to go in the store and grab a fucking coffee. Now I have to wait for these faggots to pick a fucking music playlist before they fuel up? Fuck me.

Yes and yes, but the only place I've been to that does that is Aruba

>not going back in your car and fucking with your phone while you pump

Just more reason to jack up fuel prices.

Besides I don't want to fucking talk to a fuel pump while Im pumping gas.

I am american with a gas station

I have about 100 customers for whom i turn the pump on for before i make them pay

Fuck off

>Germany.
>lets millions of barbarian shit skins into its country and expects decency.

They are if you hate driving, and if you hate driving why the fuck are you here?

I didn't ask for feels that heavy, user.

>he likes the idea of an obnoxious fucking GAS PUMP that plays annoying ads and games for the 5 minutes it takes to fill your tanks
I cant fucking understand how people can't just go a few minutes without constant entertainment

>the 5 minutes it takes to fill your tanks

Lel maybe if you're filling a semi. The average tank takes less than a minute to fill. It's pretty fucked how people can't go a minute without media.

>not being able to spend 2 minutes away from your phone

Must be the pumps here are slower. Takes 2-3 minutes to fill my compact car.

There are already pumps here that play videos while you wait. They're annoying as shit. The videos aren't so bad normally, but they show ads for the gas station (come inside and try our delicious new whatever!) for a solid 30 seconds after you're done pumping before you can get a receipt.

Pretty sure eventually it'll just be a pre-programmed amount of time where they just play ads, regardless of when you're done pumping. Like getting gas will automatically take 10 minutes no matter what, because you'll have to wait 10 minutes for all the ads to play, or you can pay an extra $1 and skip half the ads. Motion detector will tell if you leave early and fine you $10 if you do. It'll serve as a sort of punishment (on top of the $8/gallon gas you're buying) for still driving an ICE vehicle in 20 years or whatever.

>contributing to the botnet and being a good goy
ISHYGDDT

I hate those fucking things, feels like I'm in idiocracy or something.

>punishment for leaving after filling up on gas

Fuck off /g/

>I'll pump, you pay
Sounds like cuckery to me

My work truck (Chevy half ton) takes about 15 minutes to fill up from the time I get out to getting my receipt.

There is no escape.

You can't even go to the fridge anymore without being bombarded with media either.

Just got the non-tablet version of this fridge and it's pretty baller. That being said, putting a tablet into a fridge is fucking stupid, all the tech is outdated in two years.

What the fuck is wrong with your pumps? Is just that one station? Why would you wait that long? Is waiting 15 minutes to save $2 every time you fill up worth it?

>The future of pumping gas is here
Oh cool are we finally at the point where a robot opens your shit up and pumps it in itself?
>artificial intelligence to engage customers with Pandora music stations, trivia, photos for social sharing and witty banter.
o-oh

I would drive miles to avoid dealing with that thing.

My usual place has a wonderful innovation for filling the car. Pay at pump. You stick your card in the slot and approve it for use, pump your fuel, decline the receipt, and you drive off.
You don't have to talk to anybody.
You don't have to walk anywhere.
You don't have to queue up to pay.

>muh millennials ruin everything
top kek. You just know this was some clueless boomer/gen X-er's idea.

In an attempt to pander to millennials.
t. millennial

Narcissism and self-obsession. They have jet to figure out that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just buy one without it.

Technology is so easy to do right. You just don't include shitty features that shout at you, or superfluous screens. But they want to paste ads over everything.
Hell, I tried to hook an amazon fire stick to the TV for my mother, and IT TALKED AT ME FOR TEN FUCKING MINUTES. Unskippable. With some creepy-looking cartoon dancing around and yelling at me while trying to sell me things.

We've had that shit in Canada for at least a decade

My gas pump talks to me, trying to sell some fuel additive.

The grocery store checkout talks to me.

Walmart has televisions playing ads on repeat at the end of every aisle.

It's all incredibly irritating. Please, no more.

Had it here too, but it wouldn't take my loyalty card until recently.

>store brags about being "green" and environmentally friendly
>has 500 TV's left on 24/7 displaying static images or pointless redundant ads

fuck.

You can often still do that in the States, at least up until fairly recently. In my State the fine for pumping gas and running off without paying was limited to $35, so the gas stations were encouraged to make you prepay.

I'm on the clock while filling up. I know where the slow stations are, and I go there on purpose.

>The average tank takes less than a minute to fill.
No gas pumps in any nation are pumping 10 gallons per minute

This is the norm in Australia as well

because "aimed at millenials" is one of the dumbest series of words ever conceived

All I want to do is put gas in my car. Please just leave me alone.

Can in Australia mate. I've put in 60 litres (15 gallons) in less than a minute easily.

I also don't want to listen to a pump spouting shit. I want to fill up with fuel, that's it. What's going to happen now is dumb fucks are going to stand around infront of these pumps for 10 or 15 minutes fucking around with the features and taking selfies and make the rest of us wait.

Glorious Hi-Flow pumps.

The garbage they play at servos already is bad enough, always top 50 or whatever nigger shit the attendant has plugged in. Let me listen to the pump and nothing else please.

If it was just a weather forecast that would actually be pretty cool. Mayne a little ad with the specials going on i ther service station i could live with. What snacks and drinks are buy one get one. What flavor slush it's they have etc. Also the volume on those things are ridiculus. They need a volume button. Nothing is more annoying the have a nice peaceful night drive and when you stop to get gas the pump starts blaring shitty music at you.

Nice. That's almost up there with taking a shit on company time.

It's still a rewarding feeling even if I'm salary.

Everyone thinks you're a boring loser unless your constantly posting pictures of yourself hanging out with people somewhere. It's fucking stupid.

They'll put a stop to it all once people start bursting into flames from excessive cellphone use at the pump.

i just want to fill up my tank, that's it.

why

Wait, they play music at petrol stations in America?

Christ. In britain, the only noise is that of the pumps, the road, and vehicles pulling in and out.
Filling up in the middle of nowhere at night is quiet as fuck.

>Wait, they play music at petrol stations in America?
Yes from large speakers off the roof. it's not bad.

Every station I've seen with screens always has ads with sound blasting, it's never been quiet. There's a grocery store near me that displays the local weather on mute on the screen that lists the items during checkout. It's handy. I wouldn't mind something like that and a slideshow or something of shit in the gas station but anything with sound is too much, and a pump that tracks you can calls out to you would be god awful.

It's not super common where I live but I've seen a few places that do it. I have a friend that works at one and he turns on music when he's out sweeping the lot but leaves it off otherwise.

I just don't use stations with any sort of noise coming from their machines

fucking why? How long are people taking to gas up a pump that they need to listen to music or do trivia or some shit? What the fuck?