Classic Car General - /ccg/

C L A S S I C C A R G E N E R A L

25 years and older technically counts as a classic, but it needs more than just age to be considered a classic.

>Post classic cars
>Blog post about classic cars
>Post classic car feels
>Post what you're working on
>Love classic cars

FOUR DOOR LOVE EDITION

Other urls found in this thread:

summitracing.com/parts/atm-2300
autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/fuel_tank/ford/ltd.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OLD THREAD

Holy crap; someone actually took my ad SERIOUSLY...

Can't crop image, so his number is visible...

So I've got a /6, and I swapped the carb out for a spare that came with the car

Even after replacing the gasket between carb (a holley 2280) and manifold, the engine still idles too high even with idle screw backed out. Is there something I'm missing here?

r u rlly going to sell it?

>the engine still idles too high even with idle screw backed out.
Make sure the throttle cable isn't too short, check the fast idle cam. the 225 is supposed to idle at 750 rpm

Nah it's long enough

Also, how to tell rpm in a car without tach? If it helps, it's pulling just under 20"Hg when idling in neutral.

buy a tach? they're pretty cheap. It should sound like it's running fast though

I know, it's running faster than old carb did, and it's not caught on fast idle cam

you sure there's no vacuum leak?

Wondering about that but not sure where to look. (Also, what might be a good tach for a vehicle without one in it?)

summitracing.com/parts/atm-2300

something like this.

>Wondering about that but not sure where to look.
take some starting fluid and spray very conservatively around the intake manifold seals, the carb seals etc.
If the engine surges, there's your leak.

Alright, I guess it just straps around the steering column?

Right I'll try that at work tomorrow. There's carb cleaner there too so may as well spray that too.

Also, where can I find the linkage for the choke diaphragm? The holley site doesn't have one and the Carter BBD's is too long.

...Should I just get a rebuild kit for the BBD put it back on? I only switched them cause BBD's gaskets leaked gasoline

Forgot pic

You're the guy that was having shit mpg right?
I was going to tell you to ditch the two barrels but then i remembered you wanted the car to move more than 5 feet.

I'd buy a rebuild kit if i was you, that way you have more spare parts just in case.

Z I P T I E S
I
P
T
I
E
S

>carb cleaner
that will make your engine run a bit faster once it is sprayed within an engine, try spraying some soapy water and if it bubbles, there you go

Well I mean in the sense of cleaning it a bit

Guess I'll have to then.

in that case, it's a full carb off affair.

I have a story, a bit humorous.

>rescue a rather good condition 1976 LTD from nearby scrapyard
>everything's going great, engine runs, etc
>my dad is extremely familiar with these cars, so all is well as far as being able to DIY the whole job
>downside is, being the holiday months, my retail job is getting busier so I have less time to do anything
>plus, the weather is getting cold really fast (no heated garage or anything, so that's a problem)
>day off today
>go buy a fuel filter, clamps, 5 gallons of gas, etc as we have yet to test the gas tank
>put a half gallon of gas from the gas can in LTD's tank before leaving, so i can get the full 5 gallons, or close enough
>buy all that crap and 5 gallons of gas, also lunch
>the 91 octane gas cause old car needs a stiff drink
>come home, gas on the ground
>tank has a small hole
>mfw my car is incontinent
>pic related

Going to get the tank off and J.B Weld that fucker closed, replace the pickup and all that as soon as we can.

>zip ties

oh come on man, i thought everyone was on board the hose clamp train

I can get down with that, it depends on my effort level

JB weld will not stand up to ethanol, nor will any sort of 'gas tank' epoxy that i've tried. I learned this the hard way, and if you try it, so will you

Tested and proven by my dad, of course...he was always trading cars back and forth so maybe it just didn't fail until after he'd gotten rid of it. Appreciate the heads-up, today's gas might make all the difference, too.

I would see if you can just pull a new one off a junker, because odds are the inside of it might be full of rust.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do. Any idea if the tank off a '75 Lincoln would interchange? The tanks look pretty similar and I already have the way-too-rusty/dead Lincoln. If it worked, it'd save me a bunch (at least I assume it'd cost a good bit)

Oh and as for the pic, yes it has a hood, just removed it for ease of repairs.

if the dimensions are the same, why not.

new tanks can go from $100 to $300

a new 19 gallon tank for my maverick cost $130

That's what I was thinking, but my dad who is much more familiar with cars in general (especially ones of this era) expects otherwise, I really would like a second opinion but finding ANY information on Lincolns at all is nearly impossible. From what I can tell the LTDs are basically just cheaper Lincolns without all the bells and whistles. I'm sure it's more complicated than that but I just can't deny how similar the body styles and size of the cars are, plus a lot of the same options for engines, they both have the goofy vacuum-operated headlight covers, etc.
Yeah, I'm really hesitant to spend much before I find out how good the car's overall condition is, so that's why I'm hoping to find a cheap junkyard one or something first. I only paid $600 for the car, haven't gone through the hell of getting a title for it yet or anything. If all goes well, it'll be about a 1k-dollar project in all. At least for basic in-town transportation.

>19 gallon
Fuckin vast..

>tfw my LTD's tank is over 24 gallon, and it still won't last long. lol

That's insane
tfw only 16 gallon with maybe 17 mpg downhill

my tank is 19, I am thinking about putting another auxiliary tank underneath the bed though.

do they share the same platform? if so you should be good dude.

Mine will likely get around 12-13 on the highway, and the likes of 6-8 in town. lol I mean it's a 5200 pound car with a 351 V-8, it's to be expected.
The old Lincoln would be even worse with its 460 V-8 and 5200 pounds. Alas, it's gonna have to be something like a t-bucket rod if it ever drives again. lol

Nah, turns out the Lincoln's is very differently shaped. Dimensions are all wrong. Struck out there. The Lincoln, being way too rusty to restore, probably isn't a good place to look for a rust-free tank anyway. lol

I feel that dog, I get 14 max on the highway with my ferd. Shit is not great

I would love to do a gear vendors setup so I can have a good rear end ratio, and not having to change gear boxes. It would turn my C6 into a 6 speed.

what year is your LTD?

'76 (well...or 77, it's hard to tell between the two, and i think all the stickers are worn off. lol)
Seems it was parked in 2001

m8...

autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/fuel_tank/ford/ltd.html

Fyi, those are speculation numbers, best case scenario numbers, too. lol
It does run, the transmission seems okay, etc. Only problem is without the gas tank, we can't move it very far or run it long enough to see exactly what sorta condition it's in or to do any troubleshooting. It idled without any complaint on the very first start though, which gave us a lot of hope for it.
>autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/fuel_tank/ford/ltd.html
Nice! Much cheaper than RockAuto's listing. Thanks.

No, not selling it.

I know what I gots, no tire kickers, Cash must be in my hand before you breathe in the general direction of this vehicle...

nice. what does shipping look like.

>autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/fuel_tank/ford/ltd.html

I was looking at the 18 gallon on your link. Free shipping but 175 for the 24 gallon.
RockAuto's got the same 24 gallon tank from the same company for 156 after S&H.

$156 isn't bad at all for a brand new tank. It will probably be the one I go for.
Hopefully I can find a junkyard one or rig something else up temporarily to troubleshoot
the engine enough to know if it's going to be worth throwing extra cash at it first though.

>racing was cancelled today
>today was the last day of the season

Can anyone tell me what a gen 1 mustang with with a I6 and a c4 would get mpg wise? Also a 289 or 302. Im amazed how many forums just say its all about performance.

probably be like 17 to 20 depending on gearing and how lean you tune it. subtract 4 in every area for a 289 or 302.

What about an old Suburban?

like 12. depends on the year though.

Ive read people getting 20+ with a 289 and even high 20s with an I6. I want a classic mustang, but want decent mpg.

they have to have od to do that, plus highway gears. But it is possible. on a stock C4 though, I find that hard to believe.

Well i plan on having highway gears. I imagine an I6 mustang will be more built for mpg than performance.

>25 years and older technically counts as a classic

No! 25 years or older technically counts as an antique. To be a classic there had to be something that made the car special or popular. No one eve has or ever will look at a 25 year old Honda civic and think "What a classic".

I get it. honestly, I wouldn't get an i6 mustang. it will be terrifyingly slow with a 3 speed auto.

If you can convert a 289 or 302 mustang to EFI with a plug and play self learning TBI setup you will get way better mpg while having decent acceleration. Also you can swap to an AOD or E4OD later.

Old civics are pretty darn neat tho

Not looking for amazing performance, just a cool daily driver. As long as i can cruise at 65-70 all day, ill be happy.

what's your budget?

I have 5k to put down, financing 10k at max. So 15k.

>inb4 financing a classic
I can spend 15k on a car i love, or wreck myself with 40k for a car i like. Or i can spend 15k on a car ill hate and will feel less of a man for.

>MPG

Well, you can hop up that inline six, maybe put a decent after market RV cam in, that should help with MPG and also give you a bit of power, you can also go a couple sizes down on the carb jets, not too much, because you don't want your engine to run too lean. if the mustang had a c4 an AOD will literally bolt right into place, which will give you overdrive, plus some highway gears would also help.

Bump

W123 is blown into pieces because winter is gud time for doing stuff.

Rebuilt & polished my grille today, feels good man.

Also blacked out 80's AMG -style insert just because i can.

My 560SEC is currently in pieces, got an AMG body kit for it.

Time to let go of the old merc as soon as my inheritance lands in January, finally getting a clean W140 or V8 W124 :3

leave it like that
be mad marx

Who /meanmercs/ here?

The fuel tank in my 68 Lincoln is a 24 gallon tank

It's not the same everywhere in the world you know.
If a vehicle is 25 years or older and is original, it can be insured as a classic vehicle and get collector plates in my province

30 years or older in Finland and you can get your car registered as historical vehicle and it doesn't matter whether it's one-of-a-kind rare unicornmobile or typical thirteen-in-a-dozen shitbox.

Car needs to be in somewhat ok condition and original (non-original period correct aftermarket stuff is ok, in example 80's BBS wheels in 80's car) and as an reward you get dirt cheap insurance (if you drive only 30 days a year), yearly vehicle tax exemption, special plates if you want and vehicle inspection once in 2-4 years (normally once in a year).

only 24? My 68 galaxie has a 25.

Well fuck, that is pretty cool

Well it's actually 96 liters, so technically it's 25.4 US gallons

page 9 bump

great choices

>Liters
Cucked

Got my new throttle cable installed and a ghetto spring system. It's still a bit long but w/e it doesn't need to be perfect to move around the yard.

Got it firing on carb cleaner and i didn't realized
until just now that the non vented gas cap was still on so whatever.

Would a can of seafoam in the gas tank help clean the carb as it goes through or will i need to really pull that sucker off? Still no job so a Holley trick kit is pretty pricey.

heres a pics of a random merc I spotted
It was a diesel and had a blow off and 1/3 of the rear was black smoked up

My daily driver...

Random question, but how hard is it to add power brakes? Wheeler dealers made it look like a simple bolt on that takes 10 minutes.

It's not that hard if it was available on the particular car you're talking about.

Whats the difference between a C4 and a 3spd manual (other than the obvious)? And are classic manuals any different to drive than a modern one?

what car specifically?

less power to the wheels, probably longer life on the automatic, no aftermarket support for a 3 speed, not as many good overdrive options for swaps down the road with the three speed, and an AOD is a drop in.

65-69 mustang

easy as shit, anything and everything is made for first gen mustangs

Pretty easy.

shit look at that cancer

Holley vs Edelbrock vs Weber

>implying you can afford any of them

>Holly
Racecar
>Edelbrock
Road car
>Weber
Basically a fleshlight for your ears

...is that in Japan?

"Bite the pillow, i'm going in dry."

>triple DCOE manifold for /6 is $300
>doesn't come with linkages
>3 DCOEs is like $1200

I would love a quad Weber intake for a sbf but you'd need to literally shit money for that and it wouldn't actually bake that much power.

In other news i caught this fish

Benz status: still blown into pieces for painting and shit. Luckily i have whole winter to do stuff.

Scrubbed my interior with some kinda toxic stuff to get 33 years of crap off from MB-Tex & plastic. Goddamn it came out nice.

kkk you look like ISIS in this photo.

That's not me, that's the Hawaiian dude who works in the boat

Hawaiians confirmed ISIS supporters.

Nah dude he's just tan af.

I'm in love.

Trying to finagle a way to get the money together to buy this.

Sweet looking Thunderbird