QTDDTOT - questions that don't deserve their own thread

Starting a new one

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FWIP1V2Vjwc
amazon.com/dp/B018YRBQSK?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data
youtube.com/watch?v=pMeBL7y19mk
amazon.com/dp/B00FONBG1A?psc=1&smid=A3BVA1L98F0PER
amazon.com/dp/B00W0RHOBO?psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

You're supposed to open with a question

Who here excited to see the 2018 neons?

How open should the throttle be at idle? I just got a car and the throttle cable was detached. Just want to make sure I've got it in the right position.

Is it safe to park your car by just letting it stall?

Door constantly sounds like there's a small crack in the window. Placed some hockey tape around the area of the glass and it hasn't fixed it. Could it be the door trims themselves? I just replaced the rubber folds around the glass so that's not the issue.

It's annoying on dates when you go on the highway and I always have to make up some excuse...

Idling RPM is at 1000 instead of 700 now. What can that possibly mean?

No. Don't do that.
Although cars are OK stalling here and there, don't do it on porpoise, fammy.

Have no established credit.
Want new sport trim Civic hatch.
How much to put down?
If I can afford ~20%, how shit will the APR be?
What about insurance on it? (new car + male driver under 25 with no prior accident history) Doesn't the turbo bring the insurance up quite a bit?

mine is at about 10% according to Torque Pro, but i just hand tightened the barrel adjuster until there was no excess play in the cable.
poolproof way if you have a tach is to check the RPMs at idle (internet or chiltons if no owners manual) and set it to that by trial and error

Like wind coming in or is it just rattling when you go over bumps?

APR is dependent upon credit, and the term of the loan, not how much you put down.

You can get a quote online as insurance varies from car to car, state to state, county to county and person to person, so we can't really make that judgement.

Wind coming in when it goes above 80kmph.

Car FI or Throttlebody FI, or Carbed?

Check the door seals/weatherstripping around the out side of the door, most of your road noise actually comes in there, also make sure your door is latching properly and isn't sagging.

Where the hell do i get the plastic pushnuts that the grille screws go into so I can put my damn XJ grille back on?

Idle air control valve/motor could be blocked or broken, throttle cable could be stuck, or vehicle could use some new plugs, wires and a dizzy cap and rotor

these are really questions you should ask a bank, they will all have different answers for you. At the very least if you have no credit you may qualify for a special first time buyer loan. Ask a few banks though and get some non-dealership options before walking onto the lot, it will give you leverage vs. in-house financing which are linked to sales bonuses and will give your salesperson a real incentive to lower your rate
>example: ford wants all new car sales to have in-house financing at 7% (false, example only)
>extra percentages that are negotiated are kept by the stealership (totally true for all brands)
>result: you get roped into a 15% interest when you could have had half that
>UNLESS
>end of month
>time to tally bonuses
>U walk in
>have a great deal for a third party loan
>but your sales associate wants your in house financing for that bigger bonus
>suddenly 15% becomes a percent less than what third party offered

>what about insurance?
regardless of the turbo any insurance for a young unmarried male is going to be ridiculous

Z I P T I E S
I
P
T
I
E
S

I'm restomodding it, not mudding it.

So if that last example were to happen, it would be better to take dealership financing? If it's the same APR through both the bank and the dealership, is there any difference?

Do I have to buy from a stealership or can I just go to the manufacturer?

You can order a car directly from the factory the way you want it through the dealership, otherwise No.

Car doesn't start :/ I wanted to make sure that wasn't one of the problems

Your dad sure could when he was your age, though.

God I wish Trump would actually make the country great like that again.

Im planning on doing a complete drivetrain rebuild in the near future and want to start piecing kits together so I can get right into it when the time comes. I'm Trying to figure out what model transmission I have but don't have time to roll under the car and the internet isn't being much help. The car is a 2000 Nissan xterra (1st gen) xe v6 4x4 5 speed manual. I think I remember hearing somewhere that it has the same transmission that came in the 240sx or 300zx or some shit but I can't remember for sure.

if everything was exactly the same (fees, duration of loan, etc) yes the 1% less loan would be better;
but I was mostly using it as an allegory to illustrate that if they want you to finance in-house (which is a factor driving bonuses) and you have a better third party offer they will most likely bend over backwards to make you a better deal within their working limits; the chance increases the more legwork you do and the more offers you get from different banks as well as the end of the bonus time pressure on the salesperson (usually quarterly, if big enough lot monthly)
>they don't care about you tho, read the fine print always
>PROTIP: credit unions usually have the best auto loan options
>Double Protip: If deal is not good enough just keep shaking you head, biting your lip, and saying, "I don't know..."

>if it's the same will there be a difference?
uh no, they would be the same. the chance of that happening is astronomically low however; that's why you need to work the bargaining in your favor. Almost always financing through a bank will be the cheapest especially for people with no established credit, but money down can affect this

How do you better seal your doors? Hockey tape won't stick to the weather sealilng.

Do I just have to get new weather seals? It keeps water out pretty well when I blast it with the power washer.

How check for idle air control motor? I've been having some cylinder misfire issues on and off.
Is it a really big issue?

>can won't start
starter won't crank or car won't run after starting?
>starter won't crank
check your battery and your spark plug leads
>engine won't run
check your fuel supply and spark plugs as well as the dizzy cap and rotor
>air fuel spark
if you have all of these things it's probably a bad sensor or a vacuum leak

call a salvage yard or parts supplier; bonus if they specialize in Nissans, they will know because they're smart or they've pissed someone off
>LKQ would definitely know
>might even have a decent price

Ah yeah I see now. What's (I guess) the fastest way to see which banks / credit unions would give me a loan then? Do I have to apply for a loan like everywhere and just see what happens and compare the ones I do get approved for? Will it be even simpler in my case because some places will just not finance me with no credit? Will my down payment amount affect the probability that I'd be approved for a loan? If I have $4k to put down, I would only need a loan of $18k correct?

Thank you for your time.

>how to check
use google, type in your vehicle make model and year and then "IAC"
>IAC, srs bizness
depending on the vehicle, yes.
some develop a varnish that will block it and just need to be cleaned, some have mechanical/ electrical parts that fail and make the vehicle unsafe
>engine misfires
this is also a symptom, also engine pulsing (RPMs floating up and down while idling) is as well

New weather stripping, and its probably not so much air actually blowing as the noise the air makes flowing over the door crack.

> Do I have to apply for a loan like everywhere and just see what happens and compare the ones I do get approved for?
pretty much, call first and see if they can do it over the phone or online, but these will be shit tier lenders.
Wells Fargo wants to see your ass in person
>will some places just not lend to me?
yes, but large lenders have first time buyer programs like i said, so really call as many places as possible even the big guys
>will down payment help loan approval?
at a dealership yes, at a bank no.
banks will want to lend you the whole amount because they will get more money through interest, stealership wants to see a down payment because instacash for the lot which is has a vested interest in
>18K
you are not married and not old enough to rent a car, and I am assuming you have no good collateral for the loan; I almost guarantee you will need a co-signer with flawless credit to get an 18k loan. sorry br/o/
>there's a reason we all drive shitboxes here.
please do the legwork and prove me wrong, I would honestly love nothing more

It was firing water out the back when I crank, the head gasket is shot

That's the first thing I did check. No random blips on the engine which is good so it's only misfiring when it's kinda in motion like once every 5km or so. I'll see what the diagnostics are on Thursday when I meet with my mech.

Looked into the IAC and I'll see if I have time to diagnose the thing tomorrow - Thanks user!

And yeah, that's what I thought... ):
So I guess the seal is perfect the way it is just makes a little crack and causes some annoying oscillations. Are there doors seal kits that will make my vehicle almost completely eliminate door/ window wind sounds when on the freeway? There have to be??

>I almost guarantee you will need a co-signer with flawless credit to get an 18k loan

Interesting. I always wondered how people buy new cars. An $18k loan seemed like a lot more when I typed it out. Looks like I'll have to stick with a shitbox indefinitely then, most likely. That's kind of sad. I could always try and look at more numbers / opinions at least.

Any other thoughts?

>Have no established credit.
go establish credit. apply for a non subprime card without a yearly fee and use it for shit you were going to pay off anyway (groceries, gas, etc). Do this for a little while and you'll start to get a good payment history. Don't forget you can also have someone with an established credit history (like a parent) cosign the loan with you which can increase approval odds and get you a lower rate.

bad news br/o/, hope it works out
take the spark plugs out and look for liquid in the cylinders, if there's that much coming out of the tailpipe it will be obvious and you can narrow down where the leak actually is
do a compression test before you take the head off, just to make sure you don't have to machine the cylinder walls/ buy a new block
good luck an/o/n

second, gas and food is a good steady way but also go buy some expensive shit on credit and then pay it off in a timely and efficient manner
>costco is great for this
>buy something too expensive and can't make payment? Just return it and get your $$$ back!
don't do this a lot if you want good credit

RPMs drop to ~500 when engaging the clutch and shifting to neutral while braking when coming to a stop. It has dropped low enough to stall in the past.
What could this be and how do I fix it?

Sadly a co-signer isn't really an option for me. My parents are garbage at finances and their credit has tanked further than I knew was possible.

At least my name is on an apartment lease and I'm paying that every month, that should be contributing something I assume. I think a credit card for gas and groceries is a logical next step.

Thanks everyone. Will be lurking for further replies.

The best way to build credit is to get more lines of credit, use them, and pay them off as fast as possible, more than minimum payments.

You've got a good start but it takes time.

youtu.be/FWIP1V2Vjwc
Is this car going to be the next gen Sentra? please kek make it so

Is there any way to tell if its the head gasket or a cracked block without taking the head off?

Ultrasound.

That sounds like more work than taking the head off

Does it have any of the following qualifications?
>Fun to drive
>sporty or sport oriented
>Traditional auto and/or manual available
>Non transverse rwd/awd
>Not a gtr
If you answered yes to any one of these questions, then congratulations! This car absolutely will not see production and its one concept will likely be crushed to prevent any more fun from existing in the world thanks to your friends at nissan!

Yep. Get to it.

not really, but a compression test will tell you if dry cylinders have enough compression, which could be the difference between getting a new engine because the block deck is too warped, getting a new head because your is cracked, or just replacing the headgasket and resurfacing the head
>how is gearheads form?
top kek

I already posted this in a thread relating to dashcams, but wanted to try here too. What do my br/o/s think about this dashcam.

amazon.com/dp/B018YRBQSK?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data

looks all right, mount looks like proprietary shit tho

>proprietary mounts
This is why I have to ask. I don't know much on the dash cam market. I wasn't aware there were general mounts and proprietary ones.

o wait, my bad the camera has a screw in generic type; from the pics it looked like a plastic wedge type
>mount still looks like shit

No worries. Is this really a cam I ought to go for, or is there still cheaper that will do the same job without a bunch of useless features I don't need?

>youtube.com/watch?v=pMeBL7y19mk
damn, that's some clear night footage. if $90 won't hurt you i'd pull the trigger
>amazon.com/dp/B00FONBG1A?psc=1&smid=A3BVA1L98F0PER
these are decent and cheaper

But that model have the crappy plastic wedge type
this model most lucky
amazon.com/dp/B00W0RHOBO?psc=1

Thanks for you help, br/o/.

I like this, but can't tell how this works.

the buddha monitors all the mental states of the drivers around you and then records them, it's a gud deal

I need it to monitor my own mental state.

At least your following it their footsteps rather than buying something you can afford.

Bonus points for wanting to put zero effort into actually applying for a loan. You'll go far kid.

Why did round headlights fall out of favor for square ones and eventually the various blobs we have today?

>muh future aesthetics
this in a nutshell, but also tech got better and bulbs didn't need built in reflectors anymore

no feel here it too real

Okay so I replaced my front brakes, the caliper doesn't have to be removed on my vehicle (is350), all you have to do is pull out the pin and the bracket on the side, remove and replace. I used brake cleaner, decompressed the pistons, slid the new ones in & everything worked fine until the next morning when they started screeching like all hell. Now everytime I drive below 30 mph and brake they scream. What gives? The pads are in the right way and everything

did you remember to install/replace brake pad shims?
did u use brake grease on all the pad to caliper and piston to pad contact points and the caliper pins?
>protip: i bet you didn't

What would the modern equivalent of a willies jeep be?

I haven't really seen one but I'd imagine their the size of a Geo Metro

>willies jeep
>2500 lbs
>60 hp
>3 speed manual
I'm going to say geo tracker/suzuki sidekick
>??? lbs (really light)
>80 or 96 hp
>3 speed automatic

These cars are shit. You can't drive them in the rain, they're susceptible to Jeep death rattle, they're unsafe and they're incredibly boring after more than about half an hour on an interstate

>people back then didn't know what they were doing

I mean its understandable. It's aesthetic as fuark too.

My idea is to have something as boxy small and easily maintenance.

should I get this 1999 f350 for $3000

it has 130k miles

>can't drive them in the rain
What, are you gonna melt?

Would $4300 be too much for a rust free, good condition AW11? It is the only one in my area that isn't broken. The seller is asking for 5k, but I don't think it would be worth that much.

5k maybe it's it's a S/C MR2, and factory not some half ass after market or swap.

It's completely stock, but it is NA

I've got a 1997 rav4 that needs new shifter cables. I don't want to pay the supposed ~$300 for each one from the dealer.

Where should I look and what should I expect to pay instead?

Can swirl marks be wax-deep?
I'm tempted to take some degreaser like dish soap and remove entire was off my car

Too high dude, fuck that seller. That being said, if the market is shit for those in your area and it's exactly what you want then you might have to be willing to pay a little more.

Not that modern but you might like the Scout 80. The early models even had a fold down windshield like the jeep.

sure, you could always sell the box afterwards to cover costs

>where should I look?
Rockauto or amazon

How durable is a car's chassis? Let's say I want to put a brand new powertrain in a 10-15 year old car, how much longer can I expect it to go?

as long as it's rust free, forever. suspension parts will need changing and this may include subframe bushings, but as long as the frame is good and not fatigued or bent you're good

What's better, Scion FRS or Genesis Coupe?

FRS, But if you have the Money but the 370z is a better car, than both with much more potential.

This is not entirely true, a tracked car can exhibit signs of frame wear over a few regular seasons.

370Z a fat

What engine?

And? You can squeeze over 500 from the stock engine in the 370z, Can either the Gen or the FRS do that?

>what is metal fatigue?
thanks for agreeing with me, try to read better

PIGGY
I
G
G
Y

I actually like them, I'm just giving you shit. They are a bit bloated though. Still a great car for the money.

Hey guys, got a Toyota mr2 1989. The clutch no longer has any pressure, and the clutch never detaches while driving, so it's kind of useless. Do you guys think I need to just bleed the clutch? Or could it be something like the master cylinder? How hard are both these things to do?

you can squeeze a FRS down to 2400 pounds though.

Z cars are fucking fat as all hell

You have a leak, find the leak first.

Looking to buy some new tools to work on muh car

What size ratchet should I buy? have a 96 golf

Im looking for my first car. Are bmws that bad? As in will I really need to spend that much money after I buy one? Looking at some 1 series and 318i from 2007. are they any good?

is it safe to change summer for winter by myself, or pay pneu to do it?

So say youre parked in a hill with a manual. How do you go forward (up) without going a little backwards first?
Say you floor clutch and brakes to start the engine and put it in first gear then what?
If you hold clutch and release brakes to switch to gas fast you still move back a little. If you remove clutch and hold brakes the engine turns off. What happens if you remove both at the same time?

I would keep the brakes pressed after deselecting the handbrake. Then I would look to see if there's any cars coming. Then I would slowly depress the clutch until I see the revs drop a little. Then I would give it a lot of throttle and let off the brakes and clutch accordingly.

wheels, I mean.

by revs dropping do you mean the car kinda shake and shit ready to turn off?
what's throttle?
sorry am noob.

Which one should I buy:
Buick Park Avenue 1994
or
Cadillac Seville 1994

Or neither of them?

A little bit before it starts shaking and wants to turn off. About 100 below idle. Once you see the needle move lower and hear the engine sound lower, hold the clutch there.
>throttle
Give her some gas. ~2000 RPMs more or less depending on the slope.

Just got a 04 RAV4 with 90k miles on it.

What are some things I should do? Tires and brakes are brand new, oil has already been changed.

>tfw I never really looked at the other needle and only kmh
thanks
so by doing this you still need to give her gas fast when u get foot off brake as youll fall backwards only not as fast as you would if clutch was all the way pushed right?
manual cars are fun I should get one.