3rd gear to 1st?

Newbie manual driver here. So say I'm in 3rd, and a stop sign is coming up. Can I slow down to the stop sign and just switch from 3rd down to first once I'm stopped? That's what I've been doing. I'm in 3rd or 4th, see a stop sign, slow down and hold the clutch in once the rpm get low enough and switch into 1st when I stop, and I'm asking because it doesn't feel 'correct'.

you can do a lot of different shit, that's the beauty of a manual.

if you are a true madman then you can heel-toe that shit every time you stop.

What I do is brake in gear until 1k rpm-ish and throw it into neutral.

What do you think you're supposed to do? You don't rev match 1st. inb4 some faggot trying to get you to think about your poor throwout bearing

Nice meme OP

I just drop from 4th or 5th to 3rd until ~20mph, then I just push in the clutch and let the brakes take care of the rest. The time spend in 2nd or 1st is so negligible I don't bother.

I know it's not really a good way to do it, but I'm a lazy fuck, so once I've slowed down to about 20, I just toss it in neutral and brake.

The "right" way would be to down shift it to 2nd, let it drop to about 1k, clutch in, and once you're stopped put it in neutral.
That way you minimize usage of your brakes, and can always accelerate if need be. It's a lot of work just to stop, though, and brakes are cheap af.

Brakes are cheaper than transmissions.

Why in the name of sweet fuck would you engage a lower gear to stop when you can just coast to the stop in neutral, which is much more efficient energy and inertia usage.

People who downshift deserve to be summarily executed.

engine/compression brake, do it

But I'm a lazy fuck and don't want to have to change my brakes.

Rev-match lyfe dawg.

Are you fucking kidding me??

Engine braking you moron.

>choosing more wear on the engine over more wear on brake pads

nice

Are you trolling or actually retarded to the point of thinking that engine braking causes any wear at all?

> buy new
> drive to 100k miles
> live in gear
> madman downshift constantly
> downshift so hard I chirp tires
> downshift into 1st even
> hillstart without parking brake

Brake pads replaced in 100k: once
Rotors: never
Engines replaced: none
Transmission service: none
Clutch: nothing
Bearings thrown out: zero

Ratios are usually too far apart

1st might be unsynchronized on some cars, or the synchro is beat to shit from shift-then-rev downshifting and might as well not exist

it does put wear on it. not much, not enough to make different in (guessing) any car under 500,000 kms.

>unironically recommending coasting

lol kys, in a crash.

>engine braking with 1rst gear
Don't do that, use 2nd instead.
What kind of shit driving instructor did you get that didnt tell you that?

I was taught by certified driving instructors to engine brake because it causes the least wear on car.
So it's absolutely okay.

But not in 1rst. Nothing against engine braking, but downshifting to 1rst from anything higher than 15km/h is dumb and unneccesary, when 2nd gear + last meter neutral while braking is the better way to go.

Driving instructors in the states don't teach how to manual.

>The time spend in 2nd or 1st is so negligible I don't bother.
I usually skip 3rd when engine-braking, going from 4th to 2nd. 2nd gear is relatively long in my car. Ex's car had a really short 2nd gear so I hated driving that car.
> slowing down
> in 4th
> down to 2k rpm
> skip 3rd because I'd only be at around 2.5k
> 2nd
> clutch out
> VREMMMMMMM
> now at 5k

engine braking is a meme. put it in neutral and coast then use the brake. Engine was made to go, brakes were made to stop. Use them properly. Maintenance bill agrees with me since it's easier to replace brake pads versus the clutch.

>minimize usage of brakes
They last forever and take like 10 minutes to change and are cheap. Id rather save my clutch and trans

In what situation would this help you or prevent an accident? what could possibly happen under your control during the time from coasting to a stop.

is this about the same as the whole 5 people in the world that die because they had their seatbelt on and in an extremely specific wreck, couldn't get it undone?

I've never understood the brake usage meme. Unless you are on a 6% grade for a significant amount of time just use the brakes.

You could, but why would you want to?

Use the gears to help slow you down like a normal person.