DIESEL

Why aren't diesels popular in america when they have every fucking reason to be ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_emission_standards
youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle
youtube.com/watch?v=sJiMjgEM9_8
youtu.be/M-JelIuZB8Y
edmunds.com/volkswagen/golf/history/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's an infinite amount of diesel 3/4 and 1 tons driving around.

I'm talking about cars you ignoramus . Why by a prius when you could get a golf diesel?

Because a diesel econobox doesn't make sense long term.

cost, mostly

You must not have been paying attention or were too young in 2008 when Obama clamped down on Diesel emissions under the guise of protecting the environment when in actuality he wanted to protect the newly bailed out GM and Chrysler who couldn't compete with European diesels coming into the US market. This is also the reason VW ended up hip deep in shit last year, because they couldn't economically produce diesel Jettas, Passats, and Golfs to meet the new standards without a urea injection kit.

>Diesels are expensive

neither does a hybrid with batteries you need to replace
gasoline is much cleaner in how it combusts and epa regulations prevent a lot of yuropean diesels would be outside of regulation, hence the diesel scandal with vw.

youre an idiot
see: the clean air act (1975)

Because it isn't worth it. Diesels are popular in europe for the same reason they aren't popular in America. Diesel is cheaper in europe than gasoline, and gasoline is cheaper in America than diesel.
But that's not the end of it. America's diesel emissions restrictions are a LOT harder than Europe's. Europe's emissions laws focus on carbon dioxide emissions. America's emissions laws focus on Nox emissions and things that are actually harmful. Diesels produce a lot more of that than gas cars. So car companies have to majorly alter their engines and emissions systems to meet US standards. This drives the cost of the car up significantly to the point it no longer matters.
In 2012, a diesel Jetta in America was 5-6k more expensive than a 2.0L gasoline Jetta. That price difference has to be made up by the diesels better economy. Over 100,000 miles the diesel will save you $1200 on fuel over tha gas car, but you're still 5k in the hole after considering the higher taxes on the diesel.

Diesels aren't worth it in America.

One can only hope Trump ushers in a comeback. I owned a 2013 Jetta TDI and that little bastard would push 50mpg.

any info on the co2 vs Nox emissions?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_emission_standards

Trump is more protectionist than Obama. You'll be seeing even fewer imported cars lol

You know he just appointed a climate change denier to the EPA right?

How can dieselfags live with themselves? Diesel sounds like shit and is literal shit, you should fucking kill yourselves for liking useless pieces of shit.

>makes post asking why diesel passenger cars never really caught on in the US
>posts pic of Volkswagen diesel
Ahehehehehehehe...

Hokay.

GM converted their Oldsmobile gas 350 to diesel by essentially upping the compression and changing the cylinder heads.
It was a massive turd. Made something like 100 horsepower and 200 torques from 350 cubes, trying to move a 4,000 pound car. Nope.

Then Volkswagen, about the same time, did the same damn thing. Converted a gas engine into a cylinder head-blowing, underpowered diesel. 100 cubes, 50 horsepower, 75 torques. Loud, shakes the car something awful, stinks.

BY THEIR POWERS COMBINED Americans hated diesels.

And gas cars were WAY cheaper to buy.
A diesel Rabbit was ~$8200, while a GTI was $8000.

A GOD DAMNED GTI WAS CHEAPER.

And don't start talking about "muh longevity" the Rabbit diesel has a lifespan of 250,000 miles MAX, if you change the cylinder head at 150,000 miles. A Japanese gas shitbox lasts that long, easily.

TL;DR Americans don't want diesel cars because our experience with them was bad.

>Diesel sounds like shit
>implying

youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

Sounds better than a Porsche flat 6.

I would rather listen to a diesel then a faggot wankywanky engine

Worse emissions

Become gutless when ran cleanly

gasoline is just better for things that aren't purpose-built towing machines. alcohol and literal gas are the best.

Americans, despite the "murica dont believe in globel wurmin" meme, seem to know that there's more to the environment than the amount of CO2 in the air.

CO2 is mostly harmless and has to reach a critical level to cause irreversable damage to the environment. The parts that are most at risk are also the parts we as a species give the least fucks about. You can remove it from the atmosphere with specialized machinery or trees.

Nitrogen oxides are literally poison and form smog and acid rain. Forget a dying coral reef and reduced deep sea biodiversity. Forget tornados and hurricanes, I'm smart enough to build something other than a flimsy above ground box house in a storm zone. Weather is a problem for societies that live on tight budgets with archaic tech. I'd just rather not fucking die.

wew

so much retardation in the early morning, calm down lad.

>turdworld most affected by global warming
>imminent death for them

I'm okay with this.

commuter diesels are dog shit unless its a high end suv
they belong in trucks and vans

German here,
Diesel is cheaper than gas here(EU) due to tax advantages and the emissions test is done on the dyno once.
Our Emission test are bullshit since we don´t actualy test the real emissions of the vehicle while driving.
The test you have to do on your vehicle is done by checking the ECU via OBD II, if the ECU says it is ok you pass.
In Burgerland they actualy test the vehicles while driving.
And since diesels can not into homogenious combustion they need a comlex exaust filter and cat system to pass wich makes them expensive and heavy.
A Atcinson/Miller cycle Engine has pretty much the same eficiency without nasty NOx and fine dust particles.

>In Burgerland they actualy test the vehicles while driving.
Burger here. Depends on the state and testing while moving is a very recent thing, ever since Dieselgate.
All 1996-present vehicles are generally tested by checking the OBD2 port. If the computer is happy, it passes.
OBD1 and OBD1.5 cars (1988-1995, 1994-1995 for OBD1.5 on certain cars) were tested using the OBD1 port, running it on a dyno and testing the tailpipe emissions. OBD1 Subaru's actually had a fuse to pull to make them FWD for the tests since 4WD dynomometers were rare.

On the upside of OBD1, the gauge cluster could be lit up like a Christmas tree with warning lights and still pass emissions tests. This doesn't work on OBD2 cars here.

Because Europoors cheat on their diesel emissions tests

Good question user. good question...

Wait, miller cycles are as efficient as diesels? Do you have a link to a paper or article?
Or is this general knowledge I wasn't aware of?

miller cycle engines are extremely rare. The only one in a production car to my knowledge was in the Mazda Millenia.

The Prius has one and I think some Mazda skyactive engines are Millers, but indeed, they are pretty rare.

Look up what a Miller Cycle engine is.

I didn´t say exactly the same, but they are more eficcient than otto cycle engines.
That is due to the high expansion ratio of up to 1:15 while compressing much lower.

no. Those are Atkinson cycle engines. The Mazda Millenia is to date the only Miller cycle engined car I know of.

The miller cycle has the same concept as the atkinson cycle, but instead of a second crank shaft they let the intake valve open after lower dead center.
Thermodynamicly they are almost identical.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle
Toyota just calls their miller cycle engines atkinson cycle engines.

yurocucks have very lax diesel emissions compared to 'merrica

>In Burgerland they actualy test the vehicles while driving.

It depends entirely on state, some have no testing what so ever, some have just a visual test, some have OBD2 testing, some have tailpipe emissions, some have dyno's...

there is a cult following of TDIs in the United States of people who enjoy 50 mpg and hypermileing. I personally have a 2003 ALH TDI golf that I will be tuning. now to answer some questions:
doesn't diesel cost more? yes, but the difference in mileage makes up for it, also diesel and low grade costed the same a couple months ago
aren't tdi's bogged down by regulation? yes, but nothing that a chiptune wouldn't fix
aren't they bad for the environment? fuck off hippie
aren't diesels more expensive? only if you have no clue how to buy them
here are some advantages of TDIs:
>they can last over 500k if regularly maintained (i have personally seen 4 with that kind of mileage)
>they can be pretty quick if you mod them correctly (and the mods are pretty cheap)
>you can fuck with rednecks by rolling coal in a hatchback
>it sounds pretty good if you aren't a faggot
>fifty fucking miles per gallon

>60mpg
>pulls like a motherfucker
>does 750 miles a tank

Diesel is literally GOAT, fuck the polar bears

>Toyota just calls their miller cycle engines atkinson cycle engines.
Yeah, because they're Atkinsons, not Millers.

Veeky Forumsfags don't like diesels because they usually don't sound as good as petrol engines

youtube.com/watch?v=sJiMjgEM9_8

If they are real atkinsons, why do they have a single crankshaft?

It doas sound like shot, but it just means that you'll have to blast the eurobeat a little louder

They only belong in trucks.

because they use the same concept of assymmetrical strokes

What did I write here:
>The miller cycle has the same concept as the atkinson cycle, but instead of a second crank shaft they let the intake valve open after lower dead center.
Thermodynamicly they are almost identical.

Modern Atkinsons engines don't use two cranks but they mimic the assymmetrical stoke
Miller engines are essentially supercharged neo-Atkinsons.

>Diesel sounds like shit
youtu.be/M-JelIuZB8Y

>useless pieces of shit.
>he hates torque

Millers CAN be superchared and have a thermodynamicly almost identical cycle to the Atkinson cycle.
The only difference between both is the way they get the different compression/expansion ratios.
Atkinsons have a complex system with 2 crankshafts wich are geared 2:1, Millers have their intake Valves opened for about 30% of the compression stroke.
The Miller cycle is basicly a way to get the Atkinson cycle without a second crankshaft.

>I owned a 2013 Jetta TDI and that little bastard would push 50mpg.

You are seriously that retarded?

Dieselgate engine, 50 mpg but polluting like 30 V8 trucks.

>50mpg
>need a diesel to do so
my gas econobox exceeds that

Wrong on all accounts for the VW
Early 1.6 diesels were basically an industrial generator put into a car. They're tough as hell and built to run upwards of 80% max RPM for life.
250k miles is by no means exceptional mileage for a 1.6. Typically they start to lose compression around 400k, the engine will still run fine but with a marked decrease in power
As with most VW diesels, the car will fall apart around the engine, not the other way around

no.

The diesel EA827 came out in 1977 (as a 1.5l), while the gas EA827 came out in 1974 or 1975 with the Mk.1 Golf/Rabbit. The 1.5 diesel is a strengthened, modified gas engine. Go look at a pic of a 1.8 gas vs any '70s/80s diesel. They are very obviously in the same family.

Source for the dates: edmunds.com/volkswagen/golf/history/

Now, for longevity, the engine from mine had 270,000 miles on it. One dead cylinder because the cylinder wall was worn .015" over original

Worn FIFTEEN THOUSANDTHS. The rest of the cylinders were at .005".

The worn-the-fuck-out limit for any diesel is .003".

So, that tells me it was worn out well before 270,000. I was being generous with the 250k number. The bearings were in great shape, though.

As for the cylinder heads. the 1.5s and the early 1.6 engines had 11mm head bolts (because they were derived from a gas engine) that tended to stretch and let the heads warp. They fixed the problem in '82 with the 12mm head bolt JK engine.

Pic is my stupid fucking piece of shit.

Only thing the EA827 gas and diesel have in common is the bore diameter. The 1.6 was used as a marine engine and industrial generator before having been used in cars.

Sorry you got a lemon that was obviously neglected, but I guess your unique experience trumps hundreds of documented cases of the 1.6 making it to 400k

>Why aren't diesels popular in America?

Because of pic related