Why are humans so prone to idolatry?

Why are humans so prone to idolatry?

because theyre autistic

I'm not

wtf is wrong with japan?

Humans are a social and hierarchy based species. We are either seeking to be the top or appease the top.

my hunch is that it has something to do with our unique capacity for symbolic/linguistic/abstract communication. we can organise and co-ordinate our behaviour socially due to this ability. maybe myth/god/idols/whatever is a side effect of this. once you can abstract away from the world into symbols, its not a big leap to worship some symbol.

Literally nothing. What's wrong with you?

Since time immemorial, man has seeked an answer in places where there were none. Despite our knowledge now, there will still be those that search for a purpose or answer.

Reminder that you're going straight to hell if you're Christian and have a waifu.

Human beings can't help but worship beautiful and sublime things.

What if my waifu is my God?

You're already in hell then.

I don't get it

A side effect of abstract reasoning.

People don't like to think shit just randomly happens, thats scary, they want something there to appease so they feel like they have some degree of control over the world they live in. Physical manifestations are just easier to comprehend as "real" by those not versed in more mental pursuits.

Gives us a means of transcendence, something to compare ourselves to, and something to emulate?

not that dude,but having a waifu is itself an adultery with a satan.

for the seach of a rol model

Humanities, one simple word, millions of possible shitposts

#NotAllHumans

Absolutely nothing

I would do the same

Because despite what scientists believe and have utterly failed to prove to hummanity at large. Fantasy is immensely more appealing to the mind and human nature than reality.

Reality actually sucks pretty hard.

Humans are the only species with a sense of the sublime. We are the only creature capable of worship, so we do. We pour meaning and narrative into literally everything; and when we sense that we are not the masters of the universe, we feel the need to serve some thing or cause.

According to what?