/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

We wuz kangz edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9TBdNbS8Ojs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does cave moss and floor fungus block clay and sand collection? It doesn't seem to for me..

those russians mane
They sure love DF right? We got told about slavic's creative powers before, can someone redpill me on russian autism in games?
although you are right, I got the chance to be in the house of a friend of mine recently who has the money to make a top-notch build for gaming
That thing would be able to move a game like you said easily, no need to wait years
for real

Do you know about Likot Udendeb? It's an MSPaint adventure styled interactive story set in the DF universe. The original thread is on some Russian forum, but there there is some people on bay12 actively translating it.

In any case, the story seems to be thriving with activity. Now, there's even an adventure game in the making:
>youtube.com/watch?v=9TBdNbS8Ojs

hey op, I was at /int/ when you did that
How sweden actually is in terms of inmigration, could you tell a proper stance on it?

I have no ability in any Slavic language. Could someone tell me where/what these are from? Are they actually Russian DF fanart?

I'd rather not talk about it, especially not in this general. But basically, the borders are closed by now. The dystopian picture some posters give you is 99% memes, and unless seeing brown people on the streets triggers you, the standard of living is on top.

Then, I highly doubt my stance is representative of the average Swede on /int/.

really? good to know
Always seemed really sketchy to me that sweden went in that direction

Bridges are a materials-efficient way to put floors in the sky; aside from raised drawbridges, is there any similarly materials-efficient way to put walls in the sky?

Looks like it. You can google "vertibirdo" for more info.

>Shields are best made out of wood.
I'm not so sure about this anymore. Obviously they're much lighter than metal shields, but you also run the risk of them breaking mid-combat now.

I'm not so sure that armour/weapon wear applies to shields. Has anyone had a shield degrade yet?

They definitely do. The weaker the material the more likely it is, too, so wood is especially vulnerable to this.

They break. It's knda awesome in fights.

You know, thinking on it I might actually be confusing it with fire damage. I'm pretty sure I've seen my military dwarves running around with worn-out wooden shields, but I can't remember if they'd been fucking around with fire imps in that fort or not. Plus, I don't recall seeing worn-out shields in my more recent forts even after a load of sieges, so I guess I might just be retarded.

Either way, metal shields will still make bashing with them significantly less useless so it might be worth giving them metal shields after they've got their armor user skill up and can move fairly quickly.

fire damage is broken as fuck at the moment, cause toady doesntconsider it a imprtant mechanics for now, so dont worry bout it

how much did he spend?.You could play df no problem with a google supercomputer, but that's not really plausible. What really matters is the consumer grade technology. My 4yr old computer is starting to fall apart and for the same money the power I would get from such a computer is pretty much the same. The advancement has really stagnated.

They break, try in arena to see.

They definitely break from being attacked, it's not as fast I don't think, but I'll make a point to try some blocking tests later on.

Also reminder that ninedots' rocks prove why ninedots rocks:

Comparision:
>mine
>Laptop of 9 years, 32 bit, windows xp, 1,72 gb of ram
Moves up to year 4, and inevitably dies in a normal setup, I've never been able to experience long-term fortress mode features. I really dont care because there arent that much to begin with
>his
>1080 p graphics card, i7 processor last gen, about 32 gb of ram, 8 cores (poor guy)
>can make a long-everything world reach year 150 in seconds. Aside from that, I dont know how does it play on fort mode because fucker spends all the time he plays on adv.mode

Life is unfair
Ye, thats unavailable for now(although 1080 is made to be economic tho)but in a couple years, it wont be, and dwarf fortress wont have advanced that much

I kinda wish toady would standardize and cross reference his menus.

It seems like every menu has its own set of hotkeys for doing the exact same thing.

I mean for starters, you should be able to designate things for trade from the stocks menu and use the search function to streamline searching through your stocks without having to hit tab.

You should also be able to integrate meeting halls with taverns without having to activate each one separately.

And if Kennels are obsolete, why not get rid of them? Also, why do you need both vertical grates and bars?

And why in the hell aren't most of the basic workshop functions in the raws? Its annoying that they are hardcoded, because it means you can't disable them easily.

Aside from standardized materials, which I guess Toady loathes, there are few other things from MW that are good ideas, like giving more than one leather or milk per creature when dealing with larger animals.

I think most of the garden vegetables and fruits are bloat, I liked it better when DF had its core crops like rope reeds and muck root, and everything had a dwarfy name. (Not saying fruits and vegetables are a bad idea, but why do you need 5 types of wheat that all do the exact same thing?)

Yeah, I know, DF fucking sucks now.

I'm on an i3-3220, 8 GB ram, GT 730 card, the game runs great, but even adv mode can cause problems on 64 bit when you bump into say, 4000+ elf armies on the map and the game crashes. It would be nice if it actually used more RAM though, even that many elves only pushed me up to 1.2 or so GB.

Most of those veggies and fruits are shit that exists in the world now.

Will we ever be able to take control of dorfs in fort mode? Would be cool to join in as a soldier on invasions.

What pisses me off about the game is how easily the night troll are defeated. They are some of the bigest pussies in adventure mode. If you look in the legends viewer most of them are dead if the world is older than 150 years.

He's kinda leery about that, but mentions it from time to time, you can use dfhack for it though.

Fast, strong, ignore pain, natural skills, like to wrestle and pull your head off... they're much harder than all sorts of vanilla enemies.

>Most of those veggies and fruits are shit that exists in the world now.

thats not really the point.

adding 5 types of wheat doesn't really add anything to the game.

Variety is its own excuse.

no its not.
realism isn't the same as verisimilitude

there is difference between what FEELS real and what IS real. Adding bloat just makes it harder to immerse yourself in the simulation.

Are you walking around with a nigga's nose in your mouth?

No I mean LITERALLY SHIT THAT EXISTS.

All those fruits and veggies were shit I found wandering through various biomes.

You're going through a jungle and see a fucking date or something instead of a plump helmet, it's a nice touch.

You head to other areas and there are orchards of apple trees, peaches, you come across watermelon vines and wild onions.

It's a nice touch, and would be really nice if adventurer mode started you closer to the summer since you so rarely get to find these in the wild.

Then you come across a human hamlet with little vegetable gardens outside the houses, little rows and clumps of berries and veggies and such, it's neat.

Would you rather them just not have food at all?

No, of course not, so what, the humans above ground should also have the underground crops?

Should they just have generic "berry" "tuber" "gourd" "melon" plants?

Hell I look forward to being able to win someone over by pulling out a waterskin with their favorite booze, "oh... is that... perry? how did you know?" and then they're much more inclined to help me do something or whatnot.

You're right. He should rename every plant that is both grindable and brewable to "grindybrew plant" so that we don't have to suffer through fake variety. While he's at it he could rename every tree to "fruit tree," "nut tree," or "cut me". And may as well rename all the fiber-producing plants to "windyweed," since we're cleaning. Boy it sure will be nice to be rid of all that fake variety.

Hah, I think it was a zombie ogre and it took a while to cave the big fucker's skull in so I bit the nose off as a memento.

I could do without all those creature and tangled greenery.

You're an autistic cunt

Look at it this way, I love Stephen King. But you could honestly cut out HALF his wordcount and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. In fact, it would probably be better for it.

I don't have a problem with having 3 types of berries. Variety is good. But 9? 9 different types of fucking berries? 20 different kinds of wheat? What kind of game needs that much detail?

>all variety in DF offends me, please remove it
fuck off

You don't think 2001: A Space Odyssey couldn't have been improved by cutting an hour of film?

The fact that you are defending this shit makes me think your part of Toadies little cult.

Forums are filled with blowhards who never even played the game who like to kiss up and pretend like like they are experts when they never even got the game to boot up.

Fans like you are what killed the franchise, people who get hyped for the prequels and then piss and moan about jar jar binks like you wrote the original screenplay.

Every endearing work has its hangers ons and sycophants, people who crawl out of the woodwork ready to perform analinguis at a moments notice to bask in the lukewarm glow besides the limelight.

Those people are beneath contempt.

(only one of those had a (You) on my side, sweetheart)

So what? So yeah, maybe I want to have a little say in what goes on in the games development. At least I'm not lining up to suck Toadies dick to have the kings ear like so many other people.

I actually agree with you and think that other user is dumb, but that film honestly could have been a half hour episode of the twilight zone and might have even been better. The pacing is sometimes so slow.

>I dislike this
>i like this
>WOOOOW LOL WHY DONT YOU GET ON YOUR KNEES AND START SUCKING OF THE MAN, WHY DONT YOU MARRY THE MAN
>FUCKING SYCOPHANTS MAN LOL CALM DOWN I WAS JUST CRITIZISING LOL SUCK HIS DICK SOME MORE

I just think Toady is one of those people, when you give him a rubber band, a light bulb and a potatoe, he turns into mcgaiver, but you give him too many resources and he doesn't know what to do with himself.

>part of Toadies little cult
Why is it that everytime someone starts complaining about features (i.e. the taverns, libraries, or in this case, the flora) they always resort to this argument?

Are you actually one guy who constantly feels the need to shit the general up with things that belong in the suggestion forum?

Also, the fruit and plant variety doesn't hurt the game. If you you're mad that another feature didn't make it, just stick to that, don't talk about existing features as if they were the problem.

What happens on Veeky Forums stays on Veeky Forums

>don't talk about existing features as if they were the problem.

But they ARE the goddamn problem!

Half the features in the game don't work, 90% of the content is just needless bloat, the menus are obnoxious, the micromanaging is tedious, the game is bugged to shit, and if it weren't so god damn fun to play and try to figure out, I'd have tossed it in the trash a long time ago!

This thread is giving me a feeling of deja vu

I mean, what the hell is this game trying to train you to do? Program assembly?

To fix Dwarf Fortress

We must remove Dwarf Fortress

Just like an elf to equate a passing conversation to the species at large. In the most melodramatic way too.

Well, I happen to think that the diversity of plants give the game flavour. The recent manager update partially removed the need for micromanagement.

Lastly, Toady's ironing out the bugs when he gets the chance. Actually, I can't think of any remarkable bugs that drag the current version down, except perhaps the broken archers.

>implying Toady even reads shit here
>implying shit would be better if only someone would listen to you
>implying your view is correct because reasons

Look hon, it's cute that you think your opinion matters, even if I could make you stop thinking that, I wouldn't, because I would have to care about it.

As it is though, I can not bring myself to care enough to even argue about your opinion, but what I can do is point out when you're missing something or flat out wrong.

Thinking that the game would be better without the autistic level of detail Toady puts into shit is an opinion, it literally couldn't be more worthless than it already is.

Acting like you can't just prove us wrong by modding the game to demonstrate that things are actually better like this is where you are missing something.

Acting like the addition of variation in a few fucking plants is having any sort of impact on performance or the typical game experience is where you are wrong.

...so, you enjoy trying to figure it out, but think reducing the complexity in ways which actually don't make it any harder to figure out would somehow help?

Is it so hard to figure out the meaning of words like "watermelon vine" or "blueberry seeds" that you would be doing better with "melon vine" and "berry seeds" somehow?

You guys know he's just shitposting right

Having variety makes reading the stories more personal.

But there's obviously something to be said for things like masterwork that balloon shit out twice or three times over because we don't have a peg of square shape in the available square to rhombus connection. Which leads to needing rhombus to ovaloid connections. And then ovaloid to square and octagon splitters.

I think his solution for animal-men and lycanthropy is inelegant. Causes a lot of redundancy.

But its his game and may do with it as he wishes. In 30 or 40 years, it'll be open source and we'll have all the forks you could ever want.

I'm sorry, its just that... Dwarf Fortress has been like my lifeline for the last couple of months, its all I've got to do. I live in the middle of bumfucked nowhere where there is no one to talk to and everybody is redneck, a hipster or both, and the game is driving me crazy!

Everytime I want to do something I have to navigate through a hundred different menus and fiddle with a billion little settings to try to get it to do something that MIGHT work, then wait to see it does and if not try again.

Eventually you start to notice little patterns, like how you can never just order someone to DO something, you just have to SUGGEST and hope they follow your orders.

DF is the only thing distracting me from how fucking pointless and meaningless it all is, its the one thing I can control, and everytime something breaks I have total fucking meltdown!

Play adventure mode and legends only like me then.

You should probably sit on a knife if you're using DF as escapism from your self-pity.

Shut the fuck up, you pretentious little wanker. If you talked to me like that in real life I'd kick your fucking teeth in

stop stirring this shit up

No one would be talking about it today if it weren't as it was made.

Because it has just enough 'did it on purpose' clout to make people rethink dead air and justify it as brilliant.

If it were cut down and you had none of the long drawn out sequences where you get what's happening three seconds in and have to wait for the next 2 minutes, it'd have been neat and then never discussed again.

What the fuck do think Dwarf Fortress IS?

Its an escape from the deepest, darkest part of our life, the fact that we experience the world vicariously and spend 90% of our time in front of monitor or tv screen.

Its the funeral dirge for our lives.

why not try the rapist or dfhack if the job controls irritate you this much
also no wonder you have a love/hate relationship with the game if it's all you do at the moment, that's just not healthy
find yourself some hobbies man, or you're going to slowly go insane

It's an ant farm with a pause button. Stop being an angsty teen and get a job.

You guys know he's just shitposting right

isn't that every game though

your a funny guy.
I'll kill you last.

No, because DF makes you aware of it.

So cute, can we get a "fukn rekt m8" in there too?

Shhh, we do, but he might not realize we know he knows we don't care.

Honestly, I'd buy all your autistic shitpicking if it weren't for one simple fact.

Tell me you don't love it. Tell me you don't love the god damn game. Tell me that music didn't haunt you down to the core of your soul the first time you played. Tell me the hopeless exasperation at trying to comprehend a truly alien environment, a totally obtuse interface, tell me it didn't give you just a little bit of hope when you started puzzling together that hopeless mess...

Tell me playing dwarf fortress wasn't like rooting for a lost cause, wasn't like nursing a grudge, wasn't like giving a middle finger to everyone who had pidgeon holed you as a hopeless case.

Tell me it wasn't the first thing you truly understood that you could understand that other people couldn't, that it didn't put you through the looking glass and make you think about why YOUR opinions should be discounted, but some IDIOTS feeble rhetoric should place him on a pedastal.

Tell me it didn't please you to do something others found impossible, like playing a concerto at a music hall or peicing together a masterpiece.

Tell me it didn't make you feel like you were different, special, that you could enjoy something only a handful of other people in the world could do.

>Tell me that music didn't haunt you down to the core of your soul the first time you played.
Not him, but I've been playing this game since before there was a z-axis and I've never heard the vanilla music.

desu, not even him, but you are the cunt here, he brings up good points

Not that user but when playing dwarf fortress for the first time didn't feel like that at all.

desu, most of you forget that the game is in alpha, and will be for a long time

Toady has the task to make one of, if not the, most complex game of all time
So many things, all of them tangling together and forming enormous messes if not taken care off
The only way he can sanely manage to spend 30-40 years of his life programming this without becoming crazy is to try not to care much and follow your guts
As says with the example of perrie wine, this variety could and will serve some purpose in the future, as many thing that Toady is creating slowly but steadily now

Its not that he is adding, ''variety for the sake of variety'', but he is actually implementing small parts of a certain mechanic, but to us it seems bloat because, unlike Toady, we do not have the bigger picture

If you think about it, releasing a constant stream of sand onto the ground is an easier way to make a pile in rather than instantly spawning towers from the soil, expecting them to mantain equilibrium without falling
Takes way more time, but you end up with a solid construction
Of course, if anyone passes by, they'll just see a dumb fuck pouring sand on the street, but they dont know

not the guy you're talking to, but I've honestly never felt elitist about being a DF player.

the first time I was exposed to it was around 2007-2008, when I was like 14 years old. I didn't understand anything and gave up after a few minutes, and then forgot about the game for a few years.

during my first year of high school (2010), I stumbled upon the game again, and this time I stuck to it. for the first few years, I almost exclusively played adv mode. it wasn't until the very end of the wait between 0.34 and 0.40 that I actually got into fort mode and began to understand it.

since then, I've been a pretty normal DF player. I've never felt that elitistic sense of superiority that you describe.

Prove that we are autists
We have created reverse shitposting
Well done lads, proud of you

apparently DF stopped recognising my saves all of a sudden. they're still in their respective folder, but the game tells me to "create a new world"
wat do?

Pretty sure /b/ invented reverse shitposting like a decade ago. Come to think of it, /b/ has probably invented every possible variant of shitposting, as well as their ironic and post-ironic forms. They're practically the Dwarf Fortress of shitposting.

Do you have more than one version of DF downloaded? If so, are you sure you're launching the right one?
If that's not it, try downloading a fresh copy and move your saves over.

seeing /b/ and DF in the same phrase confuses and bothers me

You might be right, I just think that it would be overall better with more compact storytelling. Though things tend to be that way for older films.

Is post-ironic shitposting just shitposting, or an advanced version of it? How far can we go? How can we know that everyone in our life isn't just shitposting in a level far beyond our understanding?

those type of questions, user of mine, are what keep me up at night sometimes

post-irony is a state beyond irony, where you're stating something like you're being ironic, but in reality you aren't
thus, post-ironic shitposts are shitposts that look like they're ironic but really they're just shitposts
boteanon's posts could be a good example

The real question if this is the key in reaching a higher level of understanding, or if it ultimately will only spiral out of control not amounting to anything.

.:.:.:.:.:.

it was inevitable.

So what determines the amount of total z-layers for an embark? I don't change stuff like z-layers between levels at worldgen and like 95% of my embarks are on planes and have like 100 z-layers, but my most recent mountain embark only has like 30 layers before magma sea which sucks because its got hematite.

That's easy access to magma, you should make use of it.

Edges of biomes are often weird, edges of biomes and embark tiles are weirder, edges of biomes on the edge of an embark tile on the edge of a world-map tile are the weirdest.

Once again showing that ninedots' rocks prove ninedots rocks.

That's still more iron than you'll ever need.

We're talking about up to 10 000 or more iron bars, depending on the size of the embark.

Part rng, part layers between levels setting, part surface elevation change when embarking on multiple biomes. Outlier rolls for all three in combination can lead to extreme embark depths.