/mhg/ - Monster Hunter General

>News
MHXX is due out for 3DS in Japan on March 18
-youtube.com/watch?v=5VV5-opm1TE
-youtube.com/watch?v=rkuIZ79h-MM

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

mhgen.kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243 (rage)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing
In 3U, Help! A, Lobby 9

Tags: MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, MHO, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread:

MHXX News

Congalala returns
Hellblade Glavenus joined by Silverpeak Gammoth, Clairvoyant Mizutsune and Blue Lightning Astalos
Alchemy style news coming up shortly

Alchemy style has a 5 stock Alchemy gauge
You accumulate stocks you can then spend on alchemy to generate higher powered items
Here are some examples of alchemy style exclusive items
Alchemic food: increases maximum stamina, consumed faster than other food items
Alchemic Whetstone: Restores Sharpness, boosts hunter art gauge accumulation over time
Alchemic Shot/Coating: Increases hunter art gauge accumulation over time, other effects unknown
Alchemic Medicine: restores health over time, consumed extremely quickly,
Alchemic Sonic Bomb: will tell you what this does later
Alchemic Earplugs: Disposable earplugs from 4U
Alchemic Speedboost: Increases Alchemy concoction speed
Alchemic Catalyst: combine with certain items to multiply output
Alchemic Bazooka: Emits an explosion from your Barrel
Alchemic Healing: Instantly restores health and heals status of surrounding hunters
Alchemic Shout: Increases hunter art gauges of surrounding hunters

>Alchemic Bazooka: Emits an explosion from your Barrel

>it's shit
there goes XX's only hope to be interesting

BulldrOWNED?

BullDOMED?

Alchemic Sonic Bomb is just a more potent version of the regular one.

The Alchemic Barrel is used like a regular item from your item selection, though it doesn't take up a spot in your bag.

Why the fuck wont they go back to this menu where you have to manually open the rewards? At least give us a button to hide the damn thing and another to take a lossless screenshot

Sounds like something a wuss would pick. Striker & guild style are still the best styles.

Striker a shit.

Striker is the best because it has the simplest movesets.
I don't even use hunter arts.

Nobody cares about Generations shit
Shut the fuck up you fucking autist

MH5 on the PS4 pro news when?

You'll get a switch game and a slap on the face.
With exclusive Pokémon crossover monsters.

If we got crossover monsters in the form of Pokemon then TPCi would probably neuter the fuck out of it

But I don't have a ps4

That's why it'll be on the PS4 pro. Nothing is being made for the poor people PS4 any more.

Sometimes I wish that I was a Bulldrome

Sometimes I wish I was a slutty Rathian

Do you have a Switch?

how long is server maintenance?

???

Alchemy Style seems to be a weird cross between Hunter and Prowler. Not only do you have that "support action" gauge, but Alchemy Style can also trigger SP Mode which normally only Prowlers can.

>plans to buy MHGen
>friends agree to buy too
>buy the game
>friends don't
>fucking alone

I hope I c-can play with you, guys.

>SP Mode boosts style gimmicks
>Guild Style has no gimmick so it just gets a flat damage boost
>Guild only with 1 Alchemy becomes the meta, all other styles get kicked
Please make it happen Capcom

return it and buy 4U, an upgraded version of generations is coming next year and buying it now is just a waste of money
4U is also a better starting point in the series

4U is shit too.

>he's still playing MHGen

I never said anything about either game being shit you silly willy
don't go starting shit

What else am I supposed to play? I'm bored of 4U and Frontier is too grindy.

We've been around Monster Hunter since Tri, so I have 4U anyway. Gen was with a discount, so I thought why the fuck not?

But what's the problem with Gen?

I'm in a reverse situation
>lone hunta'd FU and 3U, had a lot of fun
>hated the new weapons of 4U so didn't play it beyond like 20 hours
>now a friend has bought a 3DS with Generations and wants to play together
I haven't visited /mhg/ in like 3 years, what's the consensus on the newest entry?

No difficulty
Overbalanced so every weapon feels weak
No endgame grind
Poorly paced single player with too much gathering
Lack of variety in endgame equipment
Arts and styles detract from the gameplay

>Alchemic Bazooka
This makes my dick tingle. I can't wait to vigorously enjoy hunting.

I was just saying 4U is a better entry point for newcomers due to an attempted story and better tutorials

this is not me

>no difficulty
then why did every room I played in yesterday have at least 2-3 carts per hunt of a deviant or hyper monster?

I understand your points but I can't quite agree

Yeah, by the way, I missed a story like that in Gen. 4U really did excite me and made me want to rush everything to know how it would end.

>deviant or hyper monster?
Well there's your problem. Deviants and Hypers provide the only difficulty in Generations

It's a low effort game without a lot of thought behind it, hopefully XX will be better

the biggest and most important gripe imo is actually a mix of two super minuscule ones that join forces to fuck you over
>every important hub quest is given by an npc via yellow bubble
>you can't leave the hub while online to get the next quest in the chain
and the kicker
>you could in 4U

???
???

also the textures are ass in a lot of areas due to the small lod distance
pic weirdly not related but as you can see, they used the "HD texture pack" for that one

anyone want to play some 3u?

Yeah, I thought that it was a bit effortless, but I too thought that I was being a bit too picky. But now thinking better and with all that, I can agree, but... Well, I already spent money. All I can do now is play.

>biggest ever content addition for a "portable" title with styles, arts and cat mode
>low effort game without a lot of thought behind it

>styles, arts and cat mode
None of which had any amount of work put into them, and most of them are completely worthless.

I already played through it, only reason I'm giving it such a hard time is because I finished it
have fun and join us for the hopefully fixed xx I guess

styles are pathetic, the coding team did more work implementing one that the balance people did on all of them, they should have been fewer in number but actually affected the moveset in a significant way instead of being a gimp plus a spammy gimmick
prowler is a neat idea but the execution tied to 100% random cats is shit too

I'll correct myself though: they tried, but it doesn't show
brave is both a step in the right direction and the wrong one, it dramatically changes the moveset but near infinite sheathing I frames is just sad

>dramatically changes the moveset
No it doesn't. It's the same gimping but spammy gimmick, by your definition.

>an upgraded version of generations is coming next year

really? I guess I was blinded by the idea that a demon gauge on everything would mean a whole new secondary moveset

>near infinite sheathing I frames is just sad
The fuck do you need to sheathe for when every weapon has demon dashes and guard points?

Are you fucking retarded? Why not just make a whole new weapon while they're at that. That's not the idea of styles at all. Look at the brave style videos, you get 1 or 2 moves tops, just like the other styles.

Frontier's styles completely change how a weapon operates, and it works fine.

I like styles because they promote minimalism. The optimal choice of Striker + absolute evasions forces you to figure out how to abuse your one best move that the weapon still retains to the best of your ability while reaping the benefits of constant fast repositioning and near infinite sharpness.

I meant the styles in MHX. Frontier styles are more like incremental upgrades with the exception of the GL, SAF and Tonfas. And Zenith style pretty much proves that. Frontier styles are way different.

(You) forgot the fact that frontier is garbage

And so is MHGen. That's why both are being compared.

Frontier being garbage has nothing to do with Styles being done the right way, or skills being interesting, or QoL existing.

Here's your (You)

>Frontier's styles completely change how a weapon operates
Name 30 weapons that do this

> 0 scatterfish

Khezu are so boring to fight like fuck fighting a monster that has no music playing when you fight it

>enabling music

>choosing to play your shit playlist over actual game soundtrack

I hit my quota, (you) can have it back

How is the Insect Glaive? Thinking about switching over to it.

I'm choosing to play nothing.

Whats the most annoying monster for a specific weapon type?

For me, I hate fighting khezu with a greatsword. Its probably just because Im shit, but I feel like I always go in for an attack, and he does the lightning explosion, and I dont have enough time to roll out of the attack.

Monsters with Nicknames

Ouma Diablos
Hellblade Glavenus
Silverpeak Gammoth
Heavenly Eye Mizutsune
Blue Lighting Master Astalos
Revival of the Congalala

Congalalas, which first appeared in Monster Hunter 2 and last appeared in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, will return in Monster Hunter XX.

Details on the “Renkin Style” Hunting Style

The Renkin Style is an unconventional hunting style that excels in support.
By wielding a special barrel called the “Great Renkin Barrel,” you can create “Renkin Items.” You can add an item up to five times to Renkin.
You can use “Great Renkin Barrel” by selecting items. It’s not in your item pouch.
As the Renkin gauge fills you’ll be able to “Great Renkin Barrel” while in Renkin Style. You can fill the gauge stock up to five.

Items You Can Only Make in Renkin Style

Renkin Food: Stamina will rise to its greatest value. You will use this more often than other food items.
Renkin Style Whetstone: Restores sharpness and makes it easy to fill hunting style gauge for a fixed period of time.
Renkin Style Ball: Ball specially made for bow guns. When you hit enemies your hunting style gauge greatly increases.
Renkin Style Bottle: Special bottle made for bows. As you hit enemies your hunting style gauge will increase.
Renkin Vitality Medicine: Stamina is gradually restored over a fixed period of time. You will use this more often than other food items.
Renkin Sound Wave Bomb: Fires a high-frequency wave that small monsters and some large ones hate.
Renkin Earplug: Consumable that protects from a large monster roar once.
Renkin Speed Medicine: Medicine that makes you throw Great Renkin Barrels fast and increases speed in Renkin Style.
Renkin Increase: By mixing a particular item, that items quantity will increase.
Renkin Bazooka: Explosive item shot from the Great Renkin Barrel.
Renkin Spirit Up Ball: Makes nearby teammates’ hunting technique gauge to increase a fixed amount.
Renkin Healing Barrel: Removes nearby teammates’ debuffs and restores their stamina.

see

najarala and hammer

i mean damn son could you get down for a little while?

Gravios, Diablos and most brute wyverns with SnS and DB.

Pound the backleg, silly you.

>brute wyverns with SnS
Ankle Hunter Generations is my favorite game.

*tiptoes and sidesteps to the other side of the map*

GS against Khezu isn't that bad. You just need to recognize the openings better.

Alatreon with Hammer, on the other hand..

>Alatreon with Hammer, on the other hand..
...is one of the best way to fight it.

Try Ala with SnS

..if you enjoy uppercutting feet 80% of the time.

4U/Gen babies, people

>this much of a Genbab
Hammers are for big boys only.

Fuck man, village Alatreon basically required an awakened Grongigas if you wanted the best times. Get fucking good.

They did that before generation though.

I had to pick a title to parody, being the celebratory nature of it, Gen has the most Brutes in a title.
Also Glavenus is the worst case of sidesteps so far, second only to Brachy.

There's a reason why all the original monsters had those rigid, robotic movements, and I think the devs on the newer games just don't understand that.

>There's a reason why all the original monsters had those rigid, robotic movements
Yeah, less budget being a new IP at the time with lesser sales than today.

what would that reason be? you can't just say something like that without an explanation, people will think you're an idiot

Clunky weapons against fluidly moving monsters just makes for a really frustrating experience.

Nothing as frustrating as horrible 3DS controls and 240p screen

>he says as if the psp controls weren't even worse
target lock/virtual dpad/and hell even the nub were a godsend in comparison
the only time this game didn't have shit controls was 3u for wii u

renkin style tho

PSP was better. I should clarify, it's not the controls, but the ergonomics.

looks gimmicky and unfun

that is a good point, I have to hold my n3ds rahter loosely or I cramp up

If you count HD remasters as mainline shouldn't P3rd HD be the best in controls? There's no retarded inverted analogs on both sides with the DS3.

the ds3 is shit for other reasons, I think the best controls would be p3rd hd with a ds4 (yes, ds4 works on the ps3), followed by gamepad/pro, followed by ds3

Blue Thunder King Astalos

Appearance: Bigger crest, already fully charged, some blue scales on body, and a 2nd level of charge that makes it completely blue.
This Astalos is male.
Blue Thunder King Astalos is always attacking, even when turning to face a foe.
So far, he has three known new attacks; Plasma Blade, Blackhole (This attack is similar to Rukodiora's magnetism in a sense), and an AOE Tail Explosion.

Retarded inverted analog positioning should never counted. It's fucking retarded, especially in a game where you spam the face buttons.

Heavenly Eye Mizutsune

Appearance: Scarred eyes (They were gouged out by something), duller colors, blind, occasional bubble aura, and emits blue light from body when enraged.
This Mizutsune is male.
Heavenly Eye Mizutsune starts of sleeping with those fluids around him before waking up and looking around.
He'll wake up when hunters get too close.
He fires bubbles of all sorts of sizes at hunters and will occasionally release this bubble aura, when he loses track of the hunters.
He sees with his bubbles. If hit by Bubbleblight, he can see you.
This Mizutsune has learnt a few new attacks, such as Zinogre's Backflip Tailslam.
When enraged, Heavenly Eye Mizutsune's body glows blue. This is his Foxfire! When enraged, it is able to send blue bubbles at foes that have the Fire Element.
Silver Ridge Gammoth

Appearance: Silver fur on back, longer battered tusks, sharper spikes legs, and covers legs and trunk in pointy ice.
Silver Ridge Gammoth is female.
This Gammoth specializes in area of effect attacks.
She is able to cover her legs in ice, instead of snow. This ice acts as a stronger armor and weapon.

0/10
0/10
5/10

this is awful

Glavenus stays still a lot after a tail slam, when he sharpens, and spits fireball. His face and tail hang low. He's not that bad. compared to shit like uragaan or barroth.