$5000 USD in my pocket, no idea what to buy

Pic is my last car - 1998 honda prelude.
I'm in the market for a used car.
I read the sticky.

Looking for a luxury old school sedan with some balls and comfy. Not in boy racer mode anymore.

minimum 180 HP, prefer Front Wheel drive or All wheel drive.

Acura TL, TL-S, Saab 9-5,
Also considering a Honda Element

I am not that mechanically inclined.
Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine#2JZ-GE
youtube.com/watch?v=MnHXuMok_24
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LS400

damn.. totally forgot about Lexus.
My dad had one.. it literally self destructed by a deer.

Do you like comfort?
Do you like power?
Do you like Japanese reliability, with the crowning jewel being a FUCKMOTHERING JAPANESE INLINE 6?
Then look no further, newfriend.
I present to you, the Lexus IS300, also known to our friends across the pond as the Altezza.

This car series and in particular this engine are the ones that gave Lexus their reliability gold star a decade ago. They still resell for 3k+ with 200k miles, because they'll run to 7 digits on the odometer. Matt Farah, the fat youtube jew, did so himself. Granted, he had the LS instead of the IS, but the difference is merely couch vs bigger couch.

So ask yourself this, you cock slurping maggot, why haven't you bought one yet?

Alfa Romeo are 6 months of pure bliss and a life time of pain afterward

The Honda Element and Acuras should tip you off that OP lives in America where the 159 was never sold.
Try again. Alfa Romeo didn't seel anything in America (bar the 8C) from 1995 until 2014 when the 4C was released.

aw shit my bad cuh

what about the IS200, 220 & 250?

The only IS200 America got was the new 2016+ ones. No IS220. We did get the IS250 though.

i meant how do they compare

this post got me interested in that car. i'm from EU tho, and i tried searching in my countries top used cars site, and there are no IS300 to be found, but plenty of IS200,220 & 250

OP is American. Please don't hijack the thread. create a new thread for that.

>Lexus IS300

Yes, definitely considering this.
Any issues to really check out before buying?

$5k should get me into something decent.

I do like Saab 9-5 too.. but that whole oil sludge cure not cured issue is pushing me away from it.

ls400, honda legend

Try a 2003+ Saab 9-3 then. They use a 2.0L turbocharged Ecotec engine that's completely unrelated to the 9-5's engine, and later Aero models got a nice turbocharged 2.8L V6

No.

You mean Acura Legend... I would love to have this car again.. but cant find a decent used one that is not beaten to death.

>prefer Front Wheel drive

you don't deserve to own a car, just stick to the bus

Leave now, Pleb.. or get ran over.... cunt.

>he thinks he has enough torque in a fwd cuckbox to run something over

sides, meet orbit

Honey, I've got more torque through my front wheels than your car does at its rear wheels

well, if you're really interested in the car, you eurofriends did get a few slightly different versions.

I think they call the IS300 the Altezza over there? It's sold as a Toyota.

Really though look for the engine. The 2JZ is the preferred one, but the 1UZ and 1FE are still pretty good as well. I'd stay away from the v8s, not much improvement over the i6 for the markup in price.

If you're really interested, go to this wikipedia page
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine#2JZ-GE
and find out which cars that use the engine are sold in your area. Inline 6s are god's gift to engineering.

>I think they call the IS300 the Altezza over there? It's sold as a Toyota.
It was only the Toyota Altezza in Japan. Everywhere else, it was the Lexus IS, including Europe.

ah, then maybe you guys just didn't get many of them. I know how much your politicians hate cars over 1.0 liter :^)

>EU
Pedro, why are you even thinking about anything else?
530d
>reliable
>good mpg
>comfy
>still got 192hp
>dem looks
>dat interior

OP is American retard. Europoors just invaded and hijacked the thread.

COMFY
O
M
F
Y

oil sludge was completely fixed in 2004 and up 9-5s.

>
>>Lexus IS300
>Yes, definitely considering this.
> Any issues to really check out before buying?
>$5k should get me into something decent.
>I do like Saab 9-5 too.. but that whole oil sludge cure not cured issue is pushing me away from it.
I bought an 02 is300 for $4900 with maintenance records and 113k miles. Make sure the timing belt and water pump job was done around the 100k mark. They're bulletproof cars, I drove one with 310k miles owned by a retard and it drove exactly like my well maintained example.

5k will buy you a nice lesabre or park avenue that will be cheap as shit to maintain and if it does break, cheap to fix.

Good to know, thanks.

> (OP)
>5k will buy you a nice lesabre or park avenue that will be cheap as shit to maintain and if it does break, cheap to fix.

Came in to say this. Buicks might be old man cars but park avenue ultras are cool with the supercharged 3800. Olds Aurora too.

I dont need a boat to be comfy.
Park Avenue... christ.. I am not retired and living on SS checks.

youtube.com/watch?v=MnHXuMok_24

look at all the white people.
where are the mexicans?

>5.3l
>320lb/ft

LMFAO.

but the supercharged engine of the Park Avenue Ultra puts it into factory sleeper categor. And they're virtually indestructible.

lol... BUICK / high quality... choose one.

What's wrong with your current car?

Actually, upon further review.. I take back my last statement. But, it's still a boat. If I find one I will definitely take a test drive.

Nothing, I sold it, not driving anything.. I am in a big city. But I am moving again.. so need a car.
Wife needs one two.. but she will probably get a Corolla and be happy with that ( hell, I like em too I got to admit.) dat reliability.

Never said high quality. There's plenty of "high quality" cars that fall apart if you look at them wrong.
EG: BMW, Audi, Mercedes
The 3800 V6 engine that powers those Buicks though was on Ward's 10 best engines of the 20th CENTURY list, and is known for being bulletproof.
Make no bones about it. The 3800 is a shit engine design on paper, but the one thing that makes it great is how smooth and reliable it is. Hell, to this day, Buick only comes second only to Lexus in reliability ratings.

>virtually indestructible
Erm, no maybe the engine but that trans will shit itself if abused, honestly if he wants a sleeper Buick he should get the W-Body Regal GS

>, honestly if he wants a sleeper Buick he should get the W-Body Regal GS
which has the exact same engine/transmission

Lel

But doesn't have the stigma of an old man car, and it's even more inconspicuous than the PA Ultra and faster due to less weight

>Get this Buick!
>It's not as much of an old person car as this Buick!
They're all old people cars, at least until the 2011+ Regal came along.

Nah, the Verano changed that

If you get a prelude don't get the auto, it fails consistently, ask anybody on a Honda forum.

>
>But doesn't have the stigma of an old man car, and it's even more inconspicuous than the PA Ultra and faster due to less weight

A whopping 300 lbs difference

GMs need as much help as they can fucking get

i HAD a prelude and I fucking loved it. Trust me I know all about the SS.

Don't get a regal, if you ever have to change the oil pan gasket, which are prone to minor leaks, you will want to eat a gun:

>if you ever have to change to oil pan gasket
>IF
and that's a big if, stop being such a pussy bitch

>Hell, to this day, Buick only comes second only to Lexus in reliability ratings.
To this day? Buick just recently climbed there. The only gm transverse auto transmissions are horrible,makes Honda look like a 4 speed rock crusher.

Sure that engine can be on all kinds of lists, or whatever accolades.. but if the transmission shits the bed... and on a boat like that I am sure its not cheap.

Not to mention, I checked out videos for that Park Ave Ultra on youtube.. lets just say that the Black Lives Matters group fucking LOVES this car. So finding a decent used one that hasnt been beaten to death.. is going to be very hard.. unless I monitor the obituary and DMV records.

>$5000

Buy 5-10 Tercels and have a running car for the rest of your life

>and on a boat like that I am sure its not cheap.
An ex of mine bought a 2005 Grand Prix with a shit transmission for a grand. All told, the replacement transmission cost them 1.5k, most of it labor.

tercels are starting to get scarce in my area user, it makes me sad ... the era of cheap reliable shitboxes is fading away before our eyes.

Toyota Echo

Sold

I haven't seen a car with a 4T60/5E and a steel pan that didn't have a gasket leak. They are a minor nuisance, to be sure, but they ALWAYS fucking leak.

>letting stigma dictate important decisions

I own probably 400k worth of cars, but I daily a 2005 LeSabre. Why burn money if you don't have to.

Yeah. Finding a solid trans is tough, but you service that bastard every 30k and I've seen then go as high as 500k before dying.

>I own probably 400k worth of cars

Taking car buying advice from a underground basket weaving sweatshop messaging board member who has owned probably 400k worth of cars..... hmmm.

Not has owned, own. I also own an auto repair shop.

its ok sport... your naptime is soon, thats enough shitposting on the internet.

>Tfw will never build a tarbo -powered AWD widebody 5g Prelude

Offering sound advice is shitposting. Sure thing, professor.

The answer should always be subaru.
Legacy GT sounds perfect for you.

>box flared prelude

muh dick, what's the sauce on the build?

Nothing; just shooped that up... never saw anything like it but it's something I've been kinda dreaming about. Wish someone did make that. Obviously not finished, gotta sort the rear out but too lazy now.

Don't get me wrong I love a good w body. But when you say shit like that you make us all look dumb.