Was this ever a good thing?

was this ever a good thing?

Yes. If it lets the manufacturer sell you something awesome or avoid you having to pay a gas guzzler tax, it's a good thing. One resistor is a cheap price to pay. Just like bikemakers who give you standoff injectors that aren't activated, or uninstalled trunk kit parts on autocross cars.

>redline everywhere

My car just has a yellow upward facing arrow whenever it wants me to upshift. Sometimes it'll light up when I'm at 1.5k, other times when I'm at 4.5k. I usually just ignore it, but it's a nice feature to remind me if I zone out.

Was what a good thing? The car telling you when to shift?
You know you can just ignore it, yes?

isnt going only 2k in first and then skipping 2 gears kind of over the top though?

I think skipshift actually locked you out but like user said it's just a fuse and it's gone.

The up arrow in mine just meant up one gear. If I went to 3rd at 2k I'd bog for sure and possibly stall. 4cyls are unforgiving though, if I had v8 maybe it wouldn't mind as much.

Though I skip when going down. 5-3-1.

>Shift blocking is a feature of automobile six-speed manual transmissions added to improve fuel economy ratings in the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) system by preventing a driver from switching from first gear to second or third as would be done normally.

>Owners manuals for the Corvettes in which it was first implemented contained photographs showing the system captioned to caution drivers not to disconnect this wire, or the skip-shift function would no longer function.

At least they were nice enough to do the "don't pull this wire, please totally don't do it to this exact wire right here ;)" routine

What is going on here? The car is telling you skip gears?
Isn't it common sense to pick gears depending your wish to drive economically or not?

The car forces you to skip gears.

That's what you get for not using your powerband

It's an LS2 or LS3.
It's all powerband.

>was this ever a good thing?
It saves you money by dodging gas guzzler tax. Easy to disable.

>gas guzzler tax
wat

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums in 2016

never encountered this because my gas guzzlers are used.

So why does the car use less gas from 1st to 4th. Won't the engine lug?

yes and the extra throttle you're giving it to creep up the tach will consume more gas than a lower gear.

too bad most normies still wouldnt do it

The engine has more torque at 800 rpm than a 13B does at 4000.

Hence why they are normies.

My camaro had this feature and it was the most annoying thing ever. The reason it was so bad is it seemed to active at completely random and the worst possible times.

I still remember taking off from a light going up a hill not going super fast because of traffic but needed to shift quickly to not lose too much speed when all of the sudden no 2nd gear. Try a 2nd time still no go. Finally shift to 4th but now I'm going to slow for that gear so back to first again. Frustrated I leave it in first gear till 3k rpm and I top the hill. Yeah a lot of fuel I saved there thanks chevy.

It would also randomly active of you took off fast too. I owned that car for almost a year and never figured out what caused skip shift to activate. I finally decided there was a random number generator behind it's logic and gave up trying to figure it out.